PDA

View Full Version : Putting on mass

Ajay
10-26-2008, 11:39 AM
So I'm starting to work out because I want to put on mass as opposed to lose weight.

I know this is a broad question but what should I be doing to put on weight? I'm pretty green when it comes to working out and nutrition and the like.

GQBalla
10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
lots of info on this topic.

im also pretty green but basically from what ive gathered from talking to people and reading.

lift hard and heavy, rest, and eat.

try to eat more calories and protein.

eat eat eat eat.

im still not eating enough but ive made decent gains.

Ajay
10-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lots of info on this topic.

im also pretty green but basically from what ive gathered from talking to people and reading.

lift hard and heavy, rest, and eat.

try to eat more calories and protein.

eat eat eat eat.

im still not eating enough but ive made decent gains.

What does your routine consist of?

Do you mind if I ask what your starting weight was and what it is now and how long you've been doing it for?

5hift
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe for details but here is pretty much what I did and got good gains on it - Went from a borderline chubby 170 lbs to lean 190ish over a two year period and my strength has almost doubled for most lifts. I also havent been as good as I could have for my diet, so if you good self control, you could have better results.

If your new to lifting you will not like it initially, but live by it for three months, eat big and you will have such good gains you wont stop.

Its pretty much two different routines; A and B. You work out 3 times a week. One week you go A - B - A, next week you go B - A - B with the workout routines continuously alternating. Have at least a day between workout routines (M W F etc). Eat as much as you can, but make sure it consists of a lot of protien and calories from clean whole food. And as you will see, its key that your legs get hit every workout.

Routine A:

3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench
1X5 Dead
2X8 Dips

Routine B:

3x5 Squat
3X5 Overhead Standing Press
3X5 Bent Rows/ Powercleans
2X8 Pullups

As you can see by the lower reps in each set, you are supposed to lift heavy as you can with control and a full range of motion. Use the same weight throughout all 3 sets, and those 3 sets do not include warmup sets. If you lift hard and eat big, you will be have no problem adding weight to your lifts on almost a weekly basis as you go through newbie gains.

The most important thing: Dont fuck with the plan! - Everyone feels the need to stray and do bicep curls etc or change up the plan to get a pump in the muscles they can see in the mirror. If you follow this plan and lift hard, your arms will get more than enough work.

95EG6P
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
eat eat eat eat.
[/B]

+1

ediamond24
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I know the book sounds shitty but there is a program in the book called scrawny to brawny, which lays out a 3 month eating/lifting/and basically life plan. I have gained 20 pounds and still have another month left

kutt3r
10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe for details but here is pretty much what I did and got good gains on it - Went from a borderline chubby 170 lbs to lean 190ish over a two year period and my strength has almost doubled for most lifts. I also havent been as good as I could have for my diet, so if you good self control, you could have better results.

If your new to lifting you will not like it initially, but live by it for three months, eat big and you will have such good gains you wont stop.

Its pretty much two different routines; A and B. You work out 3 times a week. One week you go A - B - A, next week you go B - A - B with the workout routines continuously alternating. Have at least a day between workout routines (M W F etc). Eat as much as you can, but make sure it consists of a lot of protien and calories from clean whole food. And as you will see, its key that your legs get hit every workout.

Routine A:

3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench
1X5 Dead
2X8 Dips

Routine B:

3x5 Squat
3X5 Overhead Standing Press
3X5 Bent Rows/ Powercleans
2X8 Pullups

As you can see by the lower reps in each set, you are supposed to lift heavy as you can with control and a full range of motion. Use the same weight throughout all 3 sets, and those 3 sets do not include warmup sets. If you lift hard and eat big, you will be have no problem adding weight to your lifts on almost a weekly basis as you go through newbie gains.

The most important thing: Dont fuck with the plan! - Everyone feels the need to stray and do bicep curls etc or change up the plan to get a pump in the muscles they can see in the mirror. If you follow this plan and lift hard, your arms will get more than enough work.

+1 good info here..(I am biased as this what I am doing currently) Great book too...

Word of caution as I do not know your ability/skill level, all those exercises are failry advanced and you should know what you are doing as you can hurt yourself very easily. If you are unsure, read up on them. You might want to start at a lighter weight to get form down before you pick it up. (sorry I hate guys at the gym that quater squat with 4-5 plates, its really not impressive)

Remember the most important thing will always be diet, if you want mass then you need to take in more calories than you are burning. I always suggest lots of protien as well.

There is tons of info out there google is your friend/enemy, just try it out and figure out what works for you.

Check for posts from Darkane, Oz, Kerry... they all know what they are talking about.

GQBalla
10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

What does your routine consist of?

Do you mind if I ask what your starting weight was and what it is now and how long you've been doing it for?

My routine,

i really dont have a routine, basically minimum i work out is 3 times a week, always doing chest and tris, back n bis all that jazz.

recently ive been working out almost 5 days a week.

i started really going hard in beginning of august, started at 150 pounds now im at 173. i still have 7 more pounds to go. I know its not all muscle mass, i have put on some fat definately. But my strength gains are pretty good not bad at all, but mostly newbie gains as Oz has informed me, it doesn't seem like ive put on size for me personally but ive noticed a change in strength.

A great change i noticed too was how i ate.
Im chinese and I eat A LOT of rice. I started cutting out rice, well not really i still eat maybe a bowl of rice a day, when it would easily be 2+ during dinner alone. I cut out rice, and started eating more meat. currently im eating 4 times a day, i should eat more but i just cant seem to find the time. But definately are newbie gains i was stuck at 170 pounds for 3 weeks before i put on 3 more pounds (weighed myself today)

like kutt3r has said on those people on beyond really know what they are talking about.

Im just repeating what ive learned from talking to Oz but lift heavy and 6 reps and youll gain strength and size. For cutting do volume. 10 reps of something lighter than what you can do with 6 reps