PDA

View Full Version : how to make roasted pumpkin seeds?

nonlinear
10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
hi,

we're carving pumpkins tonight and want to make roasted pumpkin seeds! when i was a kid, my mom used to soak them in brine and then roast them on a cookie sheet, but i'm not sure exactly what recipe she used. Does anyone have a good recipe that they can share? we're doing this in a couple of hours, so lemme know if you have anything :thumbsup:

Amysicle
10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
I looked at allrecipes.com and a lot of people suggested leaving them overnight to dry because the roasted better. One chick suggested boiling them in salted water for 20 minutes for cleaning.

A lot of them used butter and sometimes garlic salt.

raidar
10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate the seeds from the stringy core. Rinse the seeds. In a small saucepan, add the seeds to water, about 2 cups of water to every half cup of seeds. Add a tablespoon of salt for every cup of water. Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.

Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of a roasting pan. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack for 20 minutes or until the seeds begin to brown. When browned to your satisfaction, remove from the oven and let the pan cool on a rack. Eat!

nonlinear
10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
is there a beyond pumpkin carving contest this year? ours suck, but it's still fun eh!

raidar
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey non,

Did you end up roasting some seeds? How did they turn out?

nonlinear
10-28-2008, 09:49 AM
yea, we ended up trying two methods:

1) toasting in a cast iron pan until golder brown, and then tossing in 1 teapsoon olive oil per cup of seeds and salt to taste

2) boiling in sea salt water for 15 minutes, then roasting at 400 on an oolive oil-coated sheet until golden brown.

we much prefered the second method, because the seeds were drier/crunchier and they were also much saltier. the first method resulted in an 'oily' seed, although the oil absorbed over time and i thought they were a bit better the following day.

Mibz
10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
After cleaning, rinsing and drying (On a paper tower for 30 seconds) I just throw them on a pan with 2 tbsp oil of choice and some seasoning salt. Roast at 350* until golden, flipping after about 5-7 minutes.

Taste great, nice and crunchy, can eat them all day.

HiSpec
10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
is it possible to buy pumpkin seeds seperately? for example bulk at superstore? but they will probably be all dried out eh?

kenny
10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
is there a beyond pumpkin carving contest this year? ours suck, but it's still fun eh!

I wanted to post up one but it seems a bit late now.

nonlinear
10-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
is it possible to buy pumpkin seeds seperately? for example bulk at superstore? but they will probably be all dried out eh?

I don't think so, but pumpkins are really cheap and will only get cheaper after halloween. they have them 2/$5 at superstore now, regardless of size, and $0.25/LB at safeway and coop. the seeds are good healthy snack, plus it's fun to get together with some friends or some kids and carve pumpkins

raidar
10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
I've been able to find pumpkin seeds at most Superstore's in the bulk section as well as health food stores. They can stay for months in the fridge, so the key is too make sure the store has some turnover. There are plenty of ways to spice them up (think of all the sunflower flavors) if you get bored of basic salt.

Non - Glad it worked out. Easy, fun and delicious....well maybe not so fun being covered in dirty slimy pumpkin...but what can you do.

nonlinear
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
oh, i'm sorry, for some reason i thought HiSpec was looking for fresh pumpkin seeds (???)

anyhow, yea, you can get dried and salted ones at a lot of places. David's and Spitz also make them, and you can get them at grocery stores and gas stations.

rockwolf2001
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
IMO its better this time of year to just buy a pumpkin make pumpkin pie and have roasted pumpkin seeds.

and for the Asian families, you know your parents always make this shitty pumpkin soup that's supposedly really good for you :barf:

barmanjay
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
After cleaning, rinsing and drying (On a paper tower for 30 seconds) I just throw them on a pan with 2 tbsp oil of choice and some seasoning salt. Roast at 350* until golden, flipping after about 5-7 minutes.

Taste great, nice and crunchy, can eat them all day.

My daughter did the same thing,.. no oil and they roasted just fine,.. gotta watch that you don't burn them