PDA

View Full Version : DIY Wheel Bearing Press

suen17
10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a DIY wheel bearing press? I was replacing the strut on my Mazda3 this weekend and wanted to replace the bearing too (impromptu choice). So I took the knuckle + hub assembly to Canadian tire as it was the only "shop" still open that late on a saturday. They quoted me 1.5hrs labor to press out my old bearing and my new bearing in. Frankly, 1.5 hrs is ridiculous as it's at most a 20 minute job!

So I brought the assembly back home and reassembled everything, but I still want to do the bearing since I'm getting a whine from my wheel.

What's the best way to press it out?

I've tried setting it up in a drill press to no avail.

Would using a slide hammer work? I've looked at other contraptions like the hub shark.

Would a bottle jack (~1/2 ton?) be enough? I'm told it takes at least a 10ton press. I'm thinking of welding together a bracket in which I could insert a bottle jack (or even just a bolt + bearing adapter) and press it out that way.

Any suggestions?

FiveFreshFish
10-26-2008, 11:29 PM
What about a wheel bearing tool if you don't have a press?

http://www.dansmc.com/wheel_bearing_tool2.jpg

suen17
10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reply

My bearing and hub assembly come out together so I'd have to take out the hub from the knuckle before I can take the bearing out of the hub. I have a puller tool like that but I have to get the hub out first. Do they make larger ones that can fit onto a hub+knuckle?

5000Audi
10-27-2008, 12:05 AM
you can rent these tools at can tire and most auto stores from what i recall...a few differant sizes too..

Carlton
10-27-2008, 12:32 AM
i wish you luck putting a new bearing in without a hydrolic press. btw, mazda 3's need the bearing put in a specific way, if not your abs won't work and your abs light will be on.

also a word of advise from someone who works at mazda, i hope you didn't try to remove the abs sensor.

suen17
10-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Carlton
i wish you luck putting a new bearing in without a hydrolic press. btw, mazda 3's need the bearing put in a specific way, if not your abs won't work and your abs light will be on.

also a word of advise from someone who works at mazda, i hope you didn't try to remove the abs sensor.

Oh! LOL good to know. I took out the bolt holding in the sensor then put it right back in. Good thing I didn't try to yank that thing out.

How much would the dealership charge me to press in a new bearing? CT asked for 150$.

EDIT: What do you mean by "put in a specific way." Is there an alignment notch that needs to be matched up? And are you talking about the hub or bearing being pressed in a specific way?

If I can fabricate a bracket that's designed exactly like a bearing press, is a 4 ton bottle jack enough force to do the job?

sr20s14zenki
10-27-2008, 05:53 AM
4 tons should do the job yes, something like this would work

http://www.beggknives.com/images/shop7.jpg

7thgenvic
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
I have pulled bearing before! I would take the hub assembly out and if you don't care about the old bearing just get behind it and smash the fuck outta it to get it out. But you do need a hydraulic press to put a new one in! BEEEE CAREFUL putting the new one in!

Carlton
10-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by suen17

Oh! LOL good to know. I took out the bolt holding in the sensor then put it right back in. Good thing I didn't try to yank that thing out.

How much would the dealership charge me to press in a new bearing? CT asked for 150$.

EDIT: What do you mean by "put in a specific way." Is there an alignment notch that needs to be matched up? And are you talking about the hub or bearing being pressed in a specific way?

If I can fabricate a bracket that's designed exactly like a bearing press, is a 4 ton bottle jack enough force to do the job?

to put a new bearing in i believe its $250, i could be wrong.

but on the M3 bearings one side will work with your abs sensor and the other half of the bearing won't. so think of it like a magnetic, N and S. S and S will repell from each other (not work together) but than N and S will work together.

suen17
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Carlton

to put a new bearing in i believe its $250, i could be wrong.

but on the M3 bearings one side will work with your abs sensor and the other half of the bearing won't. so think of it like a magnetic, N and S. S and S will repell from each other (not work together) but than N and S will work together.

Well I just got back from the dealership who pressed in a brand new hub and bearing for me. Am I ever glad I didn't do it myself. The outer bearing race got stuck in the hub and had to be cut out. Apparently it happens quite often.

The head mechanic told me the same thing about the ABS but I suspect it's a gimmick to get you to replace the the hub and bearing together to "avoid magnetic mixup." :guns: The parts come separately so you'd have to figure out the right orientation anyways.

Thanks for all the replies.

suen17
10-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, and only 1/2 hr labour :D Fuck you Canadian Tire