PDA

View Full Version : R1 & R6

Pages : [1] 2

RSeXy
08-12-2002, 01:54 AM
I know the R1 is the better of the two...but what are the differences? (ie. HP, wieght, mileage, price, etc) ...i'm too lazy to look this stuff up..plus i get it in layman's terms here.

:dunno:

boi-alien
08-12-2002, 01:58 AM
R1 = death on wheels.... that's all u gotta know

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't

2000impreza
08-12-2002, 03:34 AM
i find it funny how everyone says the R1 is too much for first bike. i got a chance to test ride a friends R1 and it was not hard to handle.... just don't do stupid shit and take it easy until you get to know the bike. i say get the R1 and take it easy, that way you don't have to upgrade later if you want a faster bike.

MYKN
08-12-2002, 04:32 AM
man once you get a bike, in this case an r6... and then you get good at riding it responsibly..youll want an r1.

i have a couple fo friends who have gottin r1's and yet people were telling them its too much for a first bike.....and now they dont regret it at all and are glad they got the r1 instead of listening to other people.....

get the r1!
or gsxr 750...:drool:

Ben
08-12-2002, 11:03 AM
The R6 is a nice bike...very good to start on IMO...

Heres my friends in Vancouver...

Ben
08-12-2002, 11:05 AM
R6

Fat Dave
08-12-2002, 11:43 AM
(All comments regarding the 2002 models)

Major HP differences (about 100 for the R6 vs. 140 for the R1)

Major Torque differences (about 47 for the R6 vs. 79 for the R1)

Very similar weight

The R6 is easier handling and quicker steering

The R6 has been criticized as having a rather clunky gearbox.

The R1 is way quicker in a straight line, and you don't need to rev the shit out of it to go quick.

Throttles aren't digital - you don't have to crack it WFO all the time, so it's not going to be a problem to have the R1 as a first bike. It's just as easy to pizza yourself on either of them, but if you work on your skills, either would be fun.

Take a test drive on both, and see what you like best. Definitely try a number of bikes before popping down your cash - you may like something completely different. They're ALL way quicker than 99.9% of the cars you'll come across, so you may be more than happy with the power of a 600 - particularily if you're light.

I'd take the Gixxer liter-bike over all of them, but that's just me.

As a half-way point, you may want to take a look at the Gixxer 750 as well - a great blend of power and handling (about 125 hp / 60 ft-lbs), and probably the best all-around sport bike on the market right now.

MYKN
08-12-2002, 03:51 PM
thats what im tryin to tell everyone..gsxr750..all the way:thumbsup:

Strider
08-14-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i find it funny how everyone says the R1 is too much for first bike. i got a chance to test ride a friends R1 and it was not hard to handle.... just don't do stupid shit and take it easy until you get to know the bike. i say get the R1 and take it easy, that way you don't have to upgrade later if you want a faster bike.

if the power is there, you'll wanna use it... and probably kill yourself in the process

2000impreza
08-14-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Strider

if the power is there, you'll wanna use it... and probably kill yourself in the process

lol. you make a very good point. but i'm sure if you try hard enough you can contain yourself :rofl:

rawcon
03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Whoever said the weights are similar is very wrong. On the new ones, stock, the weight difference is 16 kilos. Thats about 35lbs. With that, an r6 can not only out corner an r1, it can also outbreak one.

Im just looking at stats, never riddin the r1 but from experience i know that even a 250 can put you on your ass. Ever riddin a 250 2 stroke? At first theyre pretty damn hard to control, for a first time rider theres no way the r1 is suitable.

The r1 has the addition of speed, but really how many people really push the bike to the limit? Maybe 1% of the bikers out there? We're not all practicing daily on tracks. Also theres the insurance factor, especially in Canada insurance is a b*t*h.

The Cosworth
03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I went from a 6 wanting a 1000 then I had one and now wish I had my 6 back

6's (typically) are lighter and easier to handle, i went from a 600RR to a VTR1000F which was a huge difference in riding style

personally you dont need a 1000 a 6 is more than enough

benyl
03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
I went from a 6 wanting a 1000 then I had one and now wish I had my 6 back

6's (typically) are lighter and easier to handle, i went from a 600RR to a VTR1000F which was a huge difference in riding style

personally you dont need a 1000 a 6 is more than enough

The VTR is a totally different kind of bike than the 600RR. Power delivery of a V-twin does not compare to a 600 or even a litre 4-cylinder.

The Cosworth
03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl

The VTR is a totally different kind of bike than the 600RR. Power delivery of a V-twin does not compare to a 600 or even a litre 4-cylinder.

I know, never said it didnt.

but i still like 6's, rode a buddies gixxer 1000 and its not that amazing for the extra cash

Graham_A_M
03-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Even if you can handle the R1, doesn't mean you should get it The R6 is ***IDIOTICALLY FAST*** and definately overkill for any person that plans on keeping his license for more then two months:nut: Like you can double the speedlimit on deerfoot, merely in the time span of a few seconds.... without the bike even coming anywhere NEAR close to trying. Did I mention thats all with the R6?
The R1? Good God... why even bother:rofl:
At least with the R6 there will be cheaper insurance, fewer pit stops for gas (and less gas at that) as well a less of a chance at doing something stupid while your on it.
My vote goes 100% in favor of the R6. You wont grow tired of it, trust me.

Sailz
03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Its not all about the dry weight of the bike either. They may have a seemingly small weight difference but a 1 liter super sport bike is much less maneuverable because of the gyroscopic effect of the larger engine. A 1000cc bike is NOT a starter bike, they are for extremely experienced riders. I currently have a 2k6 GSXR600 and most people will even say thats too much for a first bike. If you must have a supersport bike buy it used as you will most likely dump it and wear all gear all the time(AGAT) and respect their power a newer 600 has over 100hp and will outrun almost any car on the streets.

MikeHL
03-26-2007, 07:13 PM
well here is the stats
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/5835/6112/

Fusion
03-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien

the R1 is a 1000 cc engine on a 600 cc chasis.... R1 & R6 look the same... cause they have the same chasis... R1 will kill u... R6 won't

Any bike can kill you even 250 cc...If you have no faking respect..Riding like an idiot on the street...and you should know R1 dont do shit after 7000 RPM Oh yeah forgot to remind you 1 guy got kill on the R6 last summer..

03-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Fusion

Any bike can kill you even 250 cc...If you have no faking respect..Riding like an idiot on the street...and you should know R1 dont do shit after 7000 RPM

haha, thats where most of the powerband is 7000-14000 rpm

why get a Jap bike like everyone else?

Fusion
03-26-2007, 07:30 PM
My old Gixxer have more low end than the new R1..so my friend 03 Gixxer 1000..same thing cant keep the front down ahahha

03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
uhh yea 7000 and above would be considered high end power.

Sharpie
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

At least with the R6 there will be cheaper insurance, fewer pit stops for gas (and less gas at that) as well a less of a chance at doing something stupid while your on it.
Sorry I just got a chuckle out of that... You make it sound like it is expensive to fill up a bike, my buddy has a gsxr1000 and it costs like $10 to fill it...(BTW I am not critizing you or anything)

But on another note, is it true that the r1/r6s dont have a fuel gauge? If so does anyone know why?

SikAssR1
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM

LOL...
both bikes can kill you, hell a fricken scooter can kill you if you ride like an idiot.

Graham_A_M
03-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

haha, thats where most of the powerband is 7000-14000 rpm

why get a Jap bike like everyone else? Probably because with a bike such as a Ducati, The initial cost is about 3X as much ($40k for a bike that'll perform on par with a $13k bike) yet you have disasterous maintenence issues. For every 100 hours of driving with a Ducati, it needs to be in the shop for about an hour. Frankly, I'd rather stick with a zero maintenence bike that costs $27k less.... you can have your exotic Ducati sound thanks :rolleyes: I'll never understand why a person would pay THAT much just to have an unreliable bike... chicks like Ducati's more so then a Jap bike, because to them its like the Ferrari/Lamborghini of the sport bike world, but in the grand scheme of things They're priced like a Ferrari in comparison and have the same maintenence/reliability issues.
Dont get me wrong, I'd be more then happy with an MV Agusta, as an example, but not for the price they warrent. All though they are uber-pimpin, the composite materials used are incredible. If I did get anything other then a Jap bike, it would be an MV Agusta. Benelli makes some great bikes too, but I can't STAND their hideous looks :barf:

BTW, Sharpie, the reason why I care about "Fill up times" is because I used to have a 1987 Honda Shadow 500: a number of years back, it had a 250km range.... that was it. :thumbsdow Its like the cruiser bike that can't actually cruise. I know the gas is cheap, I dont care about that but how many km's between fill ups is what I was referring to. :)

Spoons
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Plain and simple,
You will never be able to push a 600 to its limits, so why go with something even more? I believe that there is actually no real reason to go with 1000 unless its a race bike, or you weigh a considerable amount.

Don't be dumb, and just go with a 600.

The Cosworth
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Even if you can handle the R1, doesn't mean you should get it The R6 is ***IDIOTICALLY FAST*** and definately overkill for any person that plans on keeping his license for more then two months:nut: Like you can double the speedlimit on deerfoot, merely in the time span of a few seconds.... without the bike even coming anywhere NEAR close to trying. Did I mention thats all with the R6?
The R1? Good God... why even bother:rofl:

I agree, I put new pipes on my VTR and I wanted to hear how they sounded after a CGP meeting at peters drive in, I pinned it with my GF on the back (there was no one on the road) and I was doing over 160 when I hit center street.

It is way to fast

But on another note, is it true that the r1/r6s dont have a fuel gauge? If so does anyone know why?

IMO you dont need to know range on those bikes (that is what a fuel gauge is for) you only need to know when you get low on fuel so you can pull into the pits, where as a touring bike you need to know if you can make it to another 300 clicks on a tank

again GO FOR THE SIX it is way faster than most cars (you can kill a vette) and is better at handling, feels lighter to move around, and you are still fast but not quite as fast as a 1000.

Graham_A_M
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Fusion

Any bike can kill you even 250 cc...If you have no faking respect..Riding like an idiot on the street...and you should know R1 dont do shit after 7000 RPM Oh yeah forgot to remind you 1 guy got kill on the R6 last summer..

Dude, I'll bet someone was killed on a golf cart a while back, any idiot can get on a bike, and be an idiot, that doesn't make the bike (in your case an R6); dangerous. This guy I used to know back in highschool had a 1980 Honda CB400... he drove that thing like a fucking douche bag, you should have seen him weave in traffic and speed like an ass in that thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those "fatalities" we've all heard about on the radio. (BTW he also used to drive drunk if you could even believe doing something that stupid on a bike)

I used to have a 1988 EX500, and sold it to a kid named Dominique LaPointe, this was back in my old Junior high school named "Don Bosco"
He trashed it over the next couple years and bought himself a brand new (at the time) NInja 900R.
Well, he was out in BC near Kelowna when he had the brainwave that he'd show it off to his friend on the back of the bike.
-He was driving drunk
-On an unfamilier road
-With a passenger
-At night time

- Doing 300 kilometers an hour..... (can you see the problem already?)

He didn't see the cement barrier until he was (estimated) 500 feet back, the skid marks were 300 feet long... the police say he hit the barrier at 260km/hr approximately.

The whole lower half of the bike (and the two guys) stayed on one side of the barrier, while the rest "kept going" if you know what I mean, this happened around 1996-1998 or so (I forget exactly when) he was 17 at the time. It was pretty fucking gory.

I heard this 2nd hand from one of his friends that was there at the time. Its crazy.... and gross really:barf:

Is it the bikes fault? his friends sure thought so, they're all "Anti-bike" now.... the whole time I was just shaking my head, thinking, he could have been driving a mini-van at the time, does that mean his friends would "hate" mini-van's and be totally againest them? gimme a frickin' break:rolleyes:

Fusion
03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
:burnout:

03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Probably because with a bike such as a Ducati, The initial cost is about 3X as much ($40k for a bike that'll perform on par with a $13k bike) yet you have disasterous maintenence issues. For every 100 hours of driving with a Ducati, it needs to be in the shop for about an hour. Frankly, I'd rather stick with a zero maintenence bike that costs $27k less.... you can have your exotic Ducati sound thanks :rolleyes: I'll never understand why a person would pay THAT much just to have an unreliable bike... chicks like Ducati's more so then a Jap bike, because to them its like the Ferrari/Lamborghini of the sport bike world, but in the grand scheme of things They're priced like a Ferrari in comparison and have the same maintenence/reliability issues.
Dont get me wrong, I'd be more then happy with an MV Agusta, as an example, but not for the price they warrent. All though they are uber-pimpin, the composite materials used are incredible. If I did get anything other then a Jap bike, it would be an MV Agusta. Benelli makes some great bikes too, but I can't STAND their hideous looks :barf:

BTW, Sharpie, the reason why I care about "Fill up times" is because I used to have a 1987 Honda Shadow 500: a number of years back, it had a 250km range.... that was it. :thumbsdow Its like the cruiser bike that can't actually cruise. I know the gas is cheap, I dont care about that but how many km's between fill ups is what I was referring to. :)

Sorry I should have givin some examples, I just feel that all the Jap bikes are so played out its not even funny. Every where you turn theres a GSXR or R1/R6.
Everyone thinks that the only way there gonna go fast is if they get a race replica bike ie (gsxr,r1/r6,zx-whatever) Theres alot of naked bikes out there that can take many of those bikes. Hell even a Mean Streak can take on a lot of the modern 1000's

Graham_A_M
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
^Thats why I went with something not-so-rare. Actually there were SO many incredibly cool bikes much like the VFR400 that never made it beyond Japan's borders.
Do an auction search on www.isibike.com and you'll see what I mean. There are these incredibly rare bikes that I've only seen a few scattered pics of: over the years. Yet their available everywhere on the site. I've never heard of an RG125 or RG250 before, or even half the bikes they have. Honda in particular. I used to have a 1991 YSR80, thinking only Honda had a bike like it, called the NSR50/80, not true.. they have these cool little bikes called the NS-1/NS50 or Jazz50... and so on and on. Yet all these rare as hell bikes sell all day long for as little as 100,000 yen/$1000 CAD before importation costs. But expect to pay 300,000 yen for a good NSR250 or whatever. :)

EDIT: this is a RG125 Gamma that I just found,
starting bid is 160,000 yen ($1550 CAD)
http://isioffice.dyndns.org/ph/images.cgi?place=TZ&link=285420070328.jpg

3clips3
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

Sorry I should have givin some examples, I just feel that all the Jap bikes are so played out its not even funny. Every where you turn theres a GSXR or R1/R6.
Everyone thinks that the only way there gonna go fast is if they get a race replica bike ie (gsxr,r1/r6,zx-whatever) Theres alot of naked bikes out there that can take many of those bikes. Hell even a Mean Streak can take on a lot of the modern 1000's

Fuck do you even ride?!? The bike has nothing to do with schooling someone, its all about the rider. Just cause someone rides a bike, be it naked, ducati, Yamaha, Honda Kawi, Suzuki, 1000 or a 600 if you're a shitty rider the bike makes no difference.

03-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Fuck can you even read correctly?!? I wasnt talking about 'schooling' someone on the street, I was talking about how common the Japanese bikes are.
And if you really want to know, I just ordered a Black Triumph Daytona 675:burnout:

Spoons
03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Plain and simple again,
and basically just stating the obvious point everywhere in this post.

BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. In many cases, I'm going to say that you can get yourself out of messes that no person could in a car. Bikes are agile, fast, and can stop on the proverbial dime. The fast part can get you into trouble, but in a lot of the times, you're going to use all that to get you safe.

Again, BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, the rider does! You look at how many bike accidents there are. Mind you I'm going to say that there are not a crap load of motorcycle helmets, but we always hear about them because, well a lot of times they end up bad. Anyways, my point being though is that you look at a majority of the crashes on a motorcycle, and you'll see that a lot of them happen when the person is driving way to fast, and in an unsafe manner. You drive safe, and know the rules of the road, and TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE, you should be riding for the rest of your life.

3clips3
03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

Theres alot of naked bikes out there that can take many of those bikes. Hell even a Mean Streak can take on a lot of the modern 1000's

Originally posted bu 3clips3

Fuck do you even ride?!? The bike has nothing to do with schooling someone, its all about the rider. Just cause someone rides a bike, be it naked, ducati, Yamaha, Honda Kawi, Suzuki, 1000 or a 600 if you're a shitty rider the bike makes no difference.

Originally posted by 5.0

Fuck can you even read correctly?!? I wasnt talking about 'schooling' someone on the street, I was talking about how common the Japanese bikes are.
And if you really want to know, I just ordered a Black Triumph Daytona 675

So based on your first post wtf were you talking about then?!

With that being said have fun with your Triumph.

8Ball
03-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Plain and simple again,

BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. In many cases, I'm going to say that you can get yourself out of messes that no person could in a car. Bikes are agile, fast, and can stop on the proverbial dime. The fast part can get you into trouble, but in a lot of the times, you're going to use all that to get you safe.

Again, BIKES DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, the rider does! You look at how many bike accidents there are. Mind you I'm going to say that there are not a crap load of motorcycle helmets, but we always hear about them because, well a lot of times they end up bad. Anyways, my point being though is that you look at a majority of the crashes on a motorcycle, and you'll see that a lot of them happen when the person is driving way to fast, and in an unsafe manner. You drive safe, and know the rules of the road, and TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE, you should be riding for the rest of your life.

exactly!!

and the power of a 1000cc is just as dangerous as a 600

choose your poison

Russo
03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball

exactly!!

choose your poison

agree doesnt matter what u ride if u ride stupid u ll kill ur self with a 600 or 1000 the same way
but ya if u get a bike just take it easy and u ll have fun

3clips3
03-30-2007, 08:34 AM

exactly!!

choose your poison

To a certain extent yes, the difference is that the power of a 1k will get you into trouble a lot quicker than a 6 and is far less forgiving for mistakes.

Remember kiddies they're called crotch rockets for a reason.

Supa Dexta
03-31-2007, 02:02 AM
man.. this thread hurt my brain...

right from the start

Originally posted by RSeXy
I know the R1 is the better of the two..

:confused:

8Ball
03-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 3clips3

To a certain extent yes, the difference is that the power of a 1k will get you into trouble a lot quicker than a 6 and is far less forgiving for mistakes.

Remember kiddies they're called crotch rockets for a reason.

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding. Which happens all the time.

you can argue all day long.... but what it all comes down too is the RIDER.

ShOwOfF
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
I used to own an R6 for two years and had the opportunity to ride an R1 for a full week and can say that I preferred the R6 both on the highway and in the city.

I'm 5'9" and my R6 was the perfect height for me, and was easy to shift my weight from side to side under heavy cornering. The 6 felt alot easier to control during weaving, as I noticed the heavier weight of the R1, and what was seemingly a longer wheelbase on the 1.

In terms of straightline speed, the R1 undoubtebly was stronger, but with that said, the R6 was more than enough for anything that I wanted to do in the city or on the highway for that matter. In a head to head straightline race from start, my friend on his R1 only beat by about half a bike length once the odometer hit 200km/h.

I'll be buying another bike likely in June, and will be getting an R6. Join the club!

nathantheman
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM

no. an R1 is yamahas version of a full size 1000cc crotchrocket. the r6 is the 600cc version.they don't have the same chassis. modern r1s are quite anemic on the bottom end, and so not so "deadly" as you might think. if you are not a retard, slightly easier to ride than the 600. the problem with literbikes is you can get carried away too easily and wind up going way faster than you think, but its not like the bike will just flip over on you. if you are worried that an r1 is a death machine compared to the r6, don't buy a rocket. either one is way way too fast for the street at full throttle. buy the r6, it costs less, and you'll cry less when you crash it.

gp36912
03-31-2007, 03:57 PM

^^^ any bike can kill ya. even 50cc dirtbikes if you ride like a retard. ok well maybe the 50cc wont kill as often cuz but its gonna hurt like a bitch when you bail :D

Plain and simple,
You will never be able to push a 600 to its limits, so why go with something even more? I believe that there is actually no real reason to go with 1000 unless its a race bike, or you weigh a considerable amount.

Don't be dumb, and just go with a 600.
^^^ especially nowadays the 600s are built pretty well and are just different beasts from the old 600s. ive seen experienced riders beat busas, and 1000s on a track, they get eaten alive on long straights but damn you go into a corner and they are right back in front.

Plain and simple again,

:werd: you can start out with the 1400 bikes if you want, ride safe and smart, and you'll be fine. ride like a idiot and a 600 bike could kill. people buy 600 bikes and think they are safer than 1000s and they start riding like idiots. i call it natural selection. others just call it stupidity

Grip172
03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
another thread to yet again prove the stupidity of the typical beyonder...

Graham_A_M
03-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by nathantheman

no. an R1 is yamahas version of a full size 1000cc crotchrocket. the r6 is the 600cc version.they don't have the same chassis. .

First person here to get it right, they DONT have the same chassis. The rotating mass between the two is significant. a 750 sharing the same frame as a 900/600 is possible, with some tweeks, but 600 and a 1000? no way. Maybe a LONG time ago (pre-deltabox days) before the technology grew into even a fraction of what it is today.

ever since the late 1980's (with the introduction of the Deltabox concept) the engine has been used in the manner of stiffening the chassis.. so: SO much depends on the rotating mass of the engine, and how it inter-relates to the rest of the bike... being the rigidarity of the frame and suspension geometry... as a couple examples. I dont think any manufacterer is that stupid to have a "one size fits all" mentality in terms of extreme performance sport bikes.
:)

Spoons
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Grip172
another thread to yet again prove the stupidity of the typical beyonder...

Don't know what that's supposed to mean. Guy asked us for help on choosing a bike, and all I see is him getting some help. There is a bit of discretion between some posts, but most of them all are solid points/opinions.

SOAB
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
his point is that an R1 is NOT a learning bike and the R6 is debatable...

any monkey and learn how to survive on a motorcycle. if you want to learn how to ride, these bikes are not the best things to learn on.

maxer900
04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Quite simply both are awesome bikes but to suggest either one is a good choice for a beginner is irresponsible at best.
These are not bikes for a novice. Can a beginner start on one and not get into trouble, of course it's done all the time. It's just not the best or safest way to start.

Both of these bikes will handle all that the most experience rider can though at them.

There is not a bike on the market that can be riden near it's potential on the street, at least nothing over 600cc's.

The Cosworth
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding. Which happens all the time.

that is the worst excuse to get a big bike I have ever heard

for the OP I have ordered my new R6S and am picking it up on may 4, and have been riding for 4 years. This is the most excited I have been to get a bike.

I have never been in a shitty situation on a bike where I went, oh shit only way out of this is to pin it, and then realized that if I had a 600 I would have been dead :bullshit:

dericer
04-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
I know the R1 is the better of the two...but what are the differences? (ie. HP, wieght, mileage, price, etc) ...i'm too lazy to look this stuff up..plus i get it in layman's terms here.

IMO.

A $1500, 500cc or smaller is the best bike.

You'll sell it 2 months later when you get sick of it for the same price you paid, but the lessons learned will save your life.

Dump the clutch on a 50hp bike you can still hurt yourself, and hopefully learn your lesson. Imagine a 120hp - 180 hp bike.

THERE IS A 75% YOU WILL DROP YOUR BIKE IN YOUR FIRST YEAR OF RIDING.

I dropped my bike 2 days after getting it...thank God it was $1200. (1984 Honda CB450, and hit some loose gravel DT)

maxer900
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Best advice for a beginner is to buy a very used dirt bike and go play with it.
A 125cc dirt bike will teach you more about balance and control than any M/C safety course or riding a streetbike in everyday conditions.

8Ball
04-02-2007, 07:58 PM

for the OP I have ordered my new R6S and am picking it up on may 4, and have been riding for 4 years. This is the most excited I have been to get a bike.

I have never been in a shitty situation on a bike where I went, oh shit only way out of this is to pin it, and then realized that if I had a 600 I would have been dead :bullshit:

then you havent been riding long enough.

Graham_A_M
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM

X2, even a Yamaha Exciter 250 has enough power to merge easily. An EX500/Honda Shadow 500 has MORE then enough power to rocket around on city streets.

Sometimes when a high speed wobble occurs (usually when your pushing the bike up to its limits.. typically at high speeds) its great to "get on the throttle" and ride it out, which can help LOTS... but I agree "gassing it" is never a smart idea. (but in the case of maxing out the bike, is it really the bikes fault? or the driver asking too much from a bike that wasn't designed/set-up for such driving? :dunno:
Its almost a smart idea to take your bike to the track and learn what it can do (as well as what you can do) in a closed environment so nobody gets seriously hurt if you low/high side it etc. I used to have a 1991 YSR80 that I took to the track and really gave it. There I learned "SO MUCH" of what to do and what not to do... in terms of finding out yoru braking threshold and rider position in turns and so on.
But I'd probably even further that and say whenever a person (including myself) gets a new bike, they should take it to the track and see exactly what it can do: and how the bike "likes" to be ridden. Everybike(/design of tires or suspension etc) has a driving style that should be taken note of. I noticed when people adhere to that, a person can really become a competitive racer or a safe driver. :)

8Ball
04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
[B] X2, even a Yamaha Exciter 250 has enough power to merge easily. An EX500/Honda Shadow 500 has MORE then enough power to rocket around on city streets.

meh... what do i know... I own 6's & 1k's in the garage.

When I ride on the street it is constant defensive maneuvers... take it for what its worth.

the best place to learn is on a dirtbike.

Spoons
04-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Well I've been on the side for a 600cc the whole time. Heck for a learners bike, get a 500cc, thats what I started on. I don't know why people desire a 1000cc bike? A 600cc will do you fine.

3clips3
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM

hahaha, did you think up that retarded response yourself or did someone help you with it?!

It's all about defensive driving and predicting what cars are going to do.

I don't know if you're aware of this but bikes can turn pretty quick.................:dunno:

Graham_A_M
04-03-2007, 03:32 PM
^ just keep a good two second following distance and signal when making a change and I think that'll make (almost) a world of difference in terms of safety..... The biggest tip I used to give to new riders was to keep your distance, that buys time in terms of collision avoidance, and avoiding shit that falls off trucks on deerfoot (etc) .

8Ball
04-03-2007, 07:46 PM
^ just keep a good two second following distance and signal when making a change and I think that'll make (almost) a world of difference in terms of safety..... The biggest tip I used to give to new riders was to keep your distance, that buys time in terms of collision avoidance, and avoiding shit that falls off trucks on deerfoot (etc) .

you guys are starting to get my point without realizing it :)

the larger cc engine will respond to rider input that much quicker. :)

especially when you 2 gears higher than you should be.

3clips3
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM

So the bike will make up for you being a shitty rider, is that what I'm understanding then?!

There is more to riding a bike than twisting your wrist.

dericer
04-03-2007, 10:50 PM

I highly recommend this site for you.

http://www.canlaw.com/legalforms/legalwill.htm

3clips3
04-04-2007, 08:11 AM
^^

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:drama:
:goflames:

8Ball
04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 3clips3

So the bike will make up for you being a shitty rider, is that what I'm understanding then?!

There is more to riding a bike than twisting your wrist.

I see it all the time in street riders.

dericer
04-04-2007, 01:33 PM

I see it all the time in street riders.

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you.

I'm calling :bullshit:

What do you ride, and where did you learn to ride it.

Make me eat my own words, because no experienced rider, nah intelligent rider, in their right minds would give the poor advice that you're giving.

Let's see the demonstration from the loser from "Pinks" on why to respect a litre bike.

Gixxer Thou Ownz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHel7m7OSw)

3clips3
04-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by dericer

Let's see the demonstration from the loser from "Pinks" on why to respect a litre bike.

Thats not fair though cause the pinks retard had some skills :rolleyes:
:rofl:

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM

then you havent been riding long enough.

and you have?? give me one situation where it is smarter to gun it instead of using your breaks or swerving. (other than highspeed wobbles but we are not talking track here)

Have you been on the track? What do you ride if you have a 6 and a 1000

BTW I have been riding for 5 years this may

8Ball
04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

You really have no idea what you're talking about do you.

I'm calling :bullshit:

What do you ride, and where did you learn to ride it.

Make me eat my own words, because no experienced rider, nah intelligent rider, in their right minds would give the poor advice that you're giving.

my advice; copy paste

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding.
what it all comes down too is the RIDER.
When I ride on the street it is constant defensive maneuvers... the best place to learn is on a dirtbike.
the larger cc engine will respond to rider input that much quicker.

seems pretty solid to me. If you got any questions just pm me.... wasting way too much time on this thread

8Ball
04-04-2007, 02:28 PM

and you have?? give me one situation where it is smarter to gun it instead of using your breaks or swerving. (other than highspeed wobbles but we are not talking track here)

Have you been on the track? What do you ride if you have a 6 and a 1000

BTW I have been riding for 5 years this may

a car is changing lanes into your lane. He does not see you. What do you do?

a. swerve into oncoming traffic
b. honk your stupid ass horn
c. slam on the brakes
d. crack the throttle to get infront of him.

the answer is D.

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM

c. slam on the brakes

the answer is D.

C because I would rather be behind a retard then in front of one so he can run into me.

Let me guess you are the guy who pins it at merges to get in front of three other cars

dericer
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM

c. slam on the brakes

the answer is D.

Yup, you don't ride.

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Yup, you don't ride.

or if he does will be a statistic soon.

If I was past the car to say the front of the hood and he was changing I would look at him and finger him hard core. But he wouldnt not see you unless you were riding in his blind spot which is your FIRST mistake

8Ball
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM

C because I would rather be behind a retard then in front of one so he can run into me.

Let me guess you are the guy who pins it at merges to get in front of three other cars

panic braking on a motorcycle is the worst habit you can have.

would bet it is the number 1 crash reason in calgary.

you brake very fast on any bike. Getting hit from behind is a high probability if your jamming the brakes.

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:44 PM

you brake very fast on any bike. Getting hit from behind is a high probability if your jamming the brakes.

I never said anything about panic breaking. Its called being in control of your machine.

Also how much room are you leaving in front of you that if someone goes in front of you that you need to hammer on the break in an emergency break.

Go to a track day and learn to ride properly

dericer
04-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Here's good advice for any rider (or any want to be rider)

http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Here's good advice for any rider (or any want to be rider)

http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/

look me up I am in class of 2002, May sometime

Also I wanted to mention that I doubt most accidents are caused by hard breaking, i bet its out of control acceleration, cornering to fast, or going to fast for the road/weather

I have rarely seen accidents where the bike was not mangled to shit due to excessive speeds

8Ball
04-04-2007, 02:53 PM

I never said anything about panic breaking. Its called being in control of your machine.

Also how much room are you leaving in front of you that if someone goes in front of you that you need to hammer on the break in an emergency break.

Go to a track day and learn to ride properly

hitting the brakes is a habit. Bad habits get you killed on a bike.

I have been to the track many many times my friend.

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 02:57 PM

hitting the brakes is a habit. Bad habits get you killed on a bike.

I have been to the track many many times my friend.

Almost every session for over a year when I was 20, Race City Blows (only been there twice) I would suggest Budweiser park if you dont mind the drive, thats what I did.

and I agree that breaking is a habit but not a BAD one.

Again as I asked before what kind of bikes do you have? you seemed to ignore that one

edit:

here's me and my VTR before she moved on, havnt picked up my new bike yet

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5248/img0179copydk3.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0179copydk3.jpg)

8Ball
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM

Almost every session for over a year when I was 20, Race City Blows (only been there twice) I would suggest Budweiser park if you dont mind the drive, thats what I did.

and I agree that breaking is a habit but not a BAD one.

Again as I asked before what kind of bikes do you have? you seemed to ignore that one

edit:

here's me and my VTR before she moved on, havnt picked up my new bike yet

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5248/img0179copydk3.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0179copydk3.jpg)

your squidliness is speaking volumes since there is no such thing as budweiser park unless your a drag racer

The Cosworth
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM

your squidliness is speaking volumes since there is no such thing as budweiser park unless your a drag racer

whats the track at edmonton called then, is that castrol?

anyways Im done with this bs

8Ball
04-04-2007, 03:45 PM

whats the track at edmonton called then, is that castrol?

anyways Im done with this bs

i dunno.... your the one who recommends it... and what you did.

wow... you would think if someone went there and recommends it they would know the name.

been fun brendan
:poosie:

dericer
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Haha. I think you just proved yours.

Budpark is Castrol Park. Experienced riders would know that.

www.budpark.com You might notice who it directs you to the new Castrol Raceway webpage.

You're pretty much going to have to show a picture of yourself on a bike (not looking trying to look cool next to one). Bonus points if you got a pic of you riding, and "Gunning it" and thusly preventing an incident. lol

I'm done with you, and I think the original question of which bike to get has been more than answered.

8Ball
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Haha. I think you just proved yours.

Budpark is Castrol Park. Experienced riders would know that.

www.budpark.com You might notice who it directs you to the new Castrol Raceway webpage.

You're pretty much going to have to show a picture of yourself on a bike (not looking trying to look cool next to one). Bonus points if you got a pic of you riding, and "Gunning it" and thusly preventing an incident. lol

I'm done with you, and I think the original question of which bike to get has been more than answered.

that was even dumber than your friend brendan :thumbsup:

HillBilly
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
R6 = Good beginners bike but underpowered for an expierienced rider
R1 = Good bike all around but the most uncomfotable riding position in the history of street bikes.

Spoons
04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow... just wow.

I have heard probably THE most retarded things EVER coming out of this thread... and all from 8ball.

Firstly, yeah sometimes the extra power is nice to get out of certain situations that you couldn't break out of. But I mean if your looking for that bit of extra power, your more comparing a 500 to a 600. A 600 you have power... a 1000 has stupid power. A 1000cc bike will get your into more trouble with the power than it will get you out, and probably more than half the time, breaking IS the solution.

Fuck I have been riding for what, a year? I sold my bike but I still know fucking more than you? Theres a reason why many bikers get bad rep, and it's cause of fucking people like you that no two shits about riding. I am going to say you probably didn't even take the safety course? Heh it's funny because a lot of us don't really care what you do, or how you ride. Driving in a car like an idiot... you can kill somebody... riding a bike like an idiot... you kill yourself more than half the time.

GTFO and fucking learn something. I don't know if you think your bullshit is fooling us, but if you can't realize that your wrong when the whole board is against you, your hopeless. Your fighting expierienced riders on here, and obviously your not. Even if you have riden for awhile, you haven't learnt much, and your riding days will come to and end faster than you think.

I like bikes, it's natural selection, just faster. The responsible riders live to ride another day.

dericer
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM

that was even dumber than your friend brendan :thumbsup:

That's right. Deflect criticism by attempting to insult others. That'll make you seem smarter. :rofl:

Still not seeing a post telling us about your super safe litre bike that you own.

Infact I'll give you an out.

Where did you take your lessons? or How long you've been licensed, maybe even how many KM's you've put on etc.

Yeah, didn't think so...

SOAB
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
8ball sounds like those guys that have a litre bike but gets owned in the twisties by a kid on 500 :rofl: all straight line speed and no skills for the turns.

8Ball
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM

That's right. Deflect criticism by attempting to insult others. That'll make you seem smarter. :rofl:

Still not seeing a post telling us about your super safe litre bike that you own.

Infact I'll give you an out.

Where did you take your lessons? or How long you've been licensed, maybe even how many KM's you've put on etc.

Yeah, didn't think so...

there is no track in edmonton. the track your referencing is a drag strip.

there is a go-kart track east of edmonton that the bikers play on. its called stratotech.

so yah... get your facts straight before you start calling me out like a highschooler.

dericer
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM

there is no track in edmonton. the track your referencing is a drag strip.

there is a go-kart track east of edmonton that the bikers play on. its called stratotech.

so yah... get your facts straight before you start calling me out like a highschooler.

You're about to get flames for your stupidity. So I'll give you this to chew on until then.

From Budpark...Sorry Castrol Raceway's website

Castrol Raceway is reputed to be one of the top 10 small track facilities in North America. The following will give a breakdown of the various amenities and services we have to offer.

> CASTROL RACEWAY TRACK LOCATION MAP

The ¼ mile IHRA sanctioned dragstrip
The 3/8 mile Clay Oval Track
10-Acer Full Pro Motocross Track
2.7 km Road course
A Mini- Sprint Cart track
A $75,000.00 Playground (developed by the Leduc/Nisku Rotary Club)
A fully functioning 12 window main concession
Oval Pit concession
A 2-Window Drag Pit Concession
On-Site operators and accounting office
Beverage service building with walk-in cooler
Full concourse washroom facilities
13 portable restrooms
Full Control tower restroom facilities
A 4-Window spectator entrance get w/ Will Call
Separate Oval and Drag competitor entrance gates
Permanent grandstands (8500 Drag / 3500 Oval)
5 portable grandstands (each holds 500 seats)
Eighteen- (18) Private Drag Sky Suites
Twenty- (20) Private Oval Skyboxes
Two- (2) Drag Tower Hospitality Suites
New Drag Tower Press Room / Media Center
Drag Pit shower units
Permanent Gift Shop
Semi-Private Hospitality area
Thunder Alley; Private VIP Hospitality Center
THE BASICS

No Noise restrictions
No Time restrictions
Five Million dollar liability Insurance with Jones Brown & Associates
One million people with a 20 mile radius
Two million people within a 100 mile radius
Fifty-two year lease agreement with Edmonton Airport Authority
Located 10 minutes South of Edmonton on Highway 19; adjacent to International Airport

8Ball
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM

You're about to get flames for your stupidity. So I'll give you this to chew on until then.

From Budpark...Sorry Castrol Raceway's website

Castrol Raceway is reputed to be one of the top 10 small track facilities in North America. The following will give a breakdown of the various amenities and services we have to offer.

> CASTROL RACEWAY TRACK LOCATION MAP

The ¼ mile IHRA sanctioned dragstrip
The 3/8 mile Clay Oval Track
10-Acer Full Pro Motocross Track
2.7 km Road course (under construction)
A Mini- Sprint Cart track
A $75,000.00 Playground (developed by the Leduc/Nisku Rotary Club)
A fully functioning 12 window main concession
Oval Pit concession
A 2-Window Drag Pit Concession
On-Site operators and accounting office
Beverage service building with walk-in cooler
Full concourse washroom facilities
13 portable restrooms
Full Control tower restroom facilities
A 4-Window spectator entrance get w/ Will Call
Separate Oval and Drag competitor entrance gates
Permanent grandstands (8500 Drag / 3500 Oval)
5 portable grandstands (each holds 500 seats)
Eighteen- (18) Private Drag Sky Suites
Twenty- (20) Private Oval Skyboxes
Two- (2) Drag Tower Hospitality Suites
New Drag Tower Press Room / Media Center
Drag Pit shower units
Permanent Gift Shop
Semi-Private Hospitality area
Thunder Alley; Private VIP Hospitality Center
THE BASICS

No Noise restrictions
No Time restrictions
Five Million dollar liability Insurance with Jones Brown & Associates
One million people with a 20 mile radius
Two million people within a 100 mile radius
Fifty-two year lease agreement with Edmonton Airport Authority
Located 10 minutes South of Edmonton on Highway 19; adjacent to International Airport

I cant believe you havent clued in yet?

please tell me what that has to do with streetbikes?

8Ball
04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
point out the fact (under construction for the past 15 years) for you?

dericer
04-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I'll be a man. I fuct up thought there was one.

Now you be man, and admit you don't ride.

8Ball
04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I'll be a man. I fuct up thought there was one.

Now you be man, and admit you don't ride.

zx10 and others.

3clips3
04-04-2007, 06:54 PM
^^

Sorry about your luck.......................:rofl:

Spoons
04-04-2007, 06:55 PM
He might ride, but he sure rides like a dumbass.

dericer
04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
He might ride, but he sure rides like a dumbass.

I guess so. It must be my ignorance showing.

You hear stories of people like him existing, but you never think you'll bump into one.

3clips3
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I dont care how he rides or what he does while doing it, what bothers me is the really really bad advise! I wish those that feel like offering their "good" advise would keep it to themselves especially when they get flamed by pretty much everyone that is reading a thread.

Kobe
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Someone has 2 ban that idiot, his giving a bad names to our riders, and if media will see this thread, it will be all over the news...

8Ball
04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
why do you guys have such big e-balls? is it your post count on calgary group pounders that makes you think your a better rider than the rest of calgary?

please show me this bad advice
my advice; copy paste

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600... if you need the power to move out of the way in city riding.
what it all comes down too is the RIDER.
When I ride on the street it is constant defensive maneuvers... the best place to learn is on a dirtbike.

seems pretty solid to me. If you got any questions just pm me.... wasting way too much time on this thread

3clips3
04-04-2007, 09:43 PM
8ball

exactly!!

choose your poison

8ball

A little contradictory isn’t it?!

8ball

meh... what do i know... I own 6's & 1k's in the garage.

When I ride on the street it is constant defensive maneuvers... take it for what its worth.

the best place to learn is on a dirtbike.

Not really what you are getting at here…………………..

8ball

you guys are starting to get my point without realizing it

The only thing that a larger cc bike responds to quicker than a 600 is acceleration which can get n00bs into a lot of trouble.

If you are in the wrong gear on the street you’re doing something very wrong. When riding almost any 1k you shouldn’t need more than second gear and more often than not you’re in first anyway.

8ball

c. slam on the brakes

the answer is D.

I don’t know about you but I would much rather have asshat cagers in front of me so I can dodge their asses! Your scenario is flawed as you didn’t mention any of the details, ie single lane road with oncoming traffic etc. I would probably choose the shoulder if available.

8ball

the number one crash reason in Calgary is squids that don’t know how to ride!

8ball

Again this comes down to defensive driving and knowing that you are invisible to all other vehicles on the road, you should know what’s behind you, in front of you and beside you.

Instead of trying to justify a 1K how about trying to encourage a 5 or 600???

dericer
04-04-2007, 11:27 PM

WTF does this mean anyways???

Using motorcycle related power words in a sentance doesn't mean you know anything.

I guess if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliants, baffle them with bullshit.

2 gears higher than you should be? wtf

http://www.ramonapalooza.com/Tshirt/t_716_long.JPG

Graham_A_M
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
why do you guys have such big e-balls? is it your post count on calgary group pounders that makes you think your a better rider than the rest of calgary?
since when does post count matter anyways? why would you even bring that up as if it would matter... in any sort of way? Please answer that since I'd really like to know.

and to a certain extent a 1000cc bike is safer than a 600...[/B]
sure, then the unexperienced rider panics; and hits the gas, only to do an uncontrolled wheelie, but since the front tire is off the ground, that'll wildly throw off any accident-evasive handling manuevers.... I'll bet that also translates to safety too right? GOTCHA!!
:nut:

BTW, Good one about "wasting your time" :rofl:

8Ball
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM

since when does post count matter anyways? why would you even bring that up as if it would matter... in any sort of way? Please answer that since I'd really like to know.

directed at eclipse who is talking his normal big e-balls mouth and cant back it up :)