PDA

View Full Version : Kijiji Rip OFF?

broken_legs
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM
So i saw this ad for a 2007 Ford F150 4x4 XLT on Kijiji this morning.

$5,500... WOW this is a typo or something.

So I write the guy and say:

"Hi I am insterested in the 2007 Ford F150 4x4 XLT you have listed on Kijiji for $5,500, when is it available for sale?"

The seller replies today:

Hello,

The car is already at the shipping company (Toronto BC), sealed and ready for shipping. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I`m left out of town so I can't meet you in person, so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the Internet. According with eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. eBay will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you want with the car. If you will buy it, then I will receive the payment details from eBay so that I can pick up the money.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

Thank you

WTF?

I don't have to pay and ebay is going to ship me a truck?

HP2133
10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
my understanding is slightly different
"If you will decide that you will not buy the car, eBay will refund the money"

Stay away

nbaker00
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
There are tonnes of these on Kijiji/ebay etc.
Stay away..

black13
10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
read up on the other scams. Kijiji is now full of them. If you can't see the car in person and its being shipped then=scam

toyboy88
10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
I find Kijiji is 100000x WORSE than Craigslist for scams now.

adam c
10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
damn toronto is really expanding to trully become the centre of the universe, the fucking place is in BC now too

2.0turbo
10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by adam c
damn toronto is really expanding to trully become the centre of the universe, the fucking place is in BC now too

Haha, the idiot scammer doesn't even know where he's trying to trick people into thinking he is.

Idiot.

r0g3r
10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I've had this happen;

I was trying to sell stuff on Kijiji and got 10 emails all wanting me to ship the items out in different parts of the world.

:facepalm:

Craigslist isn't as bad as this.

I've only had an issue ONCE when some guy was going to ship his car from Holland or something.

Kloubek
10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Bottom line: If it has anything to do with out of town any more than say, Edmonton, then say no.

r0g3r
10-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I've had this happen;

I was trying to sell stuff on Kijiji and got 10 emails all wanting me to ship the items out in different parts of the world.

Craigslist isn't as bad as this.

I've only had an issue ONCE when some guy was going to ship his car from Holland or something.

djayz
10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Had the same thing happen on Ebay a while back...as soon as I got that reply and did a little research on what this ebay thing was I knew it was a scam.

Stealth22
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

We should scam the scammer and make this thread explode :rofl:

sevewone
10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
I had buddy offer me 10$ for a 150$ phone. I gess he kant aford rent and he kneeds phone cuz skools expensife!!

rinny
10-27-2008, 10:51 PM
I've seen so many ads for boats and such for ridiculously low prices, followed through on one and got some ridiculous, scam-type reply from the states or whatnot...its probably bullshit

corsvette
10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Most of them have pic's of the cars with palm trees in the background,then they say they are from vancover or toronto.Avoid.

broken_legs
10-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Most of them have pic's of the cars with palm trees in the background,then they say they are from vancover or toronto.Avoid.

Well there are palm trees around Vancouver and on the island, and he said its toronto BC, so....

Well Beyond, I was about to actually go through with stringing this guy along just for some entertainment, but I realized that my personal email with [email protected] was the one I sent... oops

I don't actually want to mess around with this if theres any of my real information involved.

Maybe next time haha

Karim316
10-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Yea its a scam
I got a similar respone to a car for sale there and the person gave similar information:

"I can tell you this is an adult owned vehicle,very clean and looking impecable,as you can see in the pictures..Only one problem ,right now I am in London , UK ,looking for a house to buy.Since I am not there I have instructed the shipping company - Globe Transporter INC. ( www.globetransporter.t35.com ) - to handle the shipping of the car in case I find a buyer.The car is now stored at one of their warehouses in Montreal, boxed and ready for delivery.I have already paid for shipping ,insurance and manipulation,so you don't have to worry about that.You will have the possibility to make an inspection on the car and any tests you want even if you are not in Montreal.Just send me a reply if interested and I will email you the details."
have a good day,

I'd stay away

alloroc
10-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Lets have some fun with this guy.

Email him back. Tell him you are posting on a friend's computer. You just got out of jail and do not have credit and want to pay cash and that you also want to pick up the truck in person. Say you only have just enough cash to buy the truck and will need bus money to get to Toronto, BC from Calgary, Idaho. A $150 wire transfer ;P

Rat Fink
10-28-2008, 05:00 AM

R!zz0
10-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I had one of those and i emailed the seller telling him that i would fly to wherever he is and look at the car. He never got back to me.

Stay the fuck away mang.

Casa
10-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Kijiji can be dynamite, i mean i've sold tons of stuff of it, but recently it seems to be all full of scammers :thumbsdow

Tezzating
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
My GF was after a boxer dog and saw an ad for one on Kijiji for free. Well, a free dog is a pretty common so she sent them a message of "Hi, I'd like to know more about this dog".

The reply was something along the lines of "The dog is in South Africa. In order for it to be transported from South Africa to Canada you will need to pay for transport of said dog, its handler and its vet. Please deposit $5000 into our Nigerian bank account and..."

xLostx
10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
As stated a bunch of times in this thread, it's a scamizzle. if it sounds too good to be true, its a scam :nut:

Proboscis
10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
http://www.usedcalgary.com/classified-ad/7411008 Looks like a good deal, seams legit or shady.

msommers
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
News tonight was talking about African scammers using honest people's realty ads and advertising on Kijiji they were for rent! They even went on to say that some people sent deposits to rent....before looking at the place:eek: :dunno:

broken_legs
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by msommers
News tonight was talking about African scammers using honest people's realty ads and advertising on Kijiji they were for rent! They even went on to say that some people sent deposits to rent....before looking at the place:eek: :dunno:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/238892/attn-rental-scam/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/235934/just-when-you-think-nigerian-scammers-couldnt-get-any-lower/