PDA

View Full Version : Cost of installing Ceramic tile

Speed_69
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
My parents are currently doing a small reno at their rental property before they plan on selling it. They are at the stage where flooring needs to be changed..currently has vinyl sheet for kitchen and washrooms. My dad was considering getting ceramic tile..anyone know how much this should cost around? Areas that need to be completed total around 400 sq ft. Dining area also needs new plywood underneath. We got an estimate for about $2500 for removal and installation not including materials. Sounds abit high to me.

Also does anyone know a good place to buy the flooring? or suggest something else other then ceramic tile? I was thinking Laminate.

barmanjay
10-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Depends what area the house is in? the state of the remainder of the house

would kind of be odd if the rest of the house was trashed except the kitchen floor ;)

Kloubek
10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Who cares Barman. Nothing wrong with upgrading one room at a time. After all, it's a rental property.

Depends a lot on the tile as far as price goes. Anywhere from a buck each on upward for a 1ftX1ft tile. So - incase you suck in math - about $400 for the tile.

Grout, mortar and tools set someone back maybe $50-$75.

It's actually pretty easy to do - if not a bit messy. Make sure it's on a solid surface though. Any play will result in cracks. If you have to put down a stiffer subfloor, then you're looking at another jump in price.

Speed_69
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Depends what area the house is in? the state of the remainder of the house

would kind of be odd if the rest of the house was trashed except the kitchen floor ;)

The remainder of the house is carpeted (bedrooms & living room). Carpet is still in good shape so my parents only want to change the vinyl sheet and change the ceramic tile backsplash.

Weapon_R
10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
400sqft? If it's a straightforward room, you should try it yourself. It's simple enough to do.

barmanjay
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Who cares Barman. Nothing wrong with upgrading one room at a time. After all, it's a rental property.

Depends a lot on the tile as far as price goes. Anywhere from a buck each on upward for a 1ftX1ft tile. So - incase you suck in math - about $400 for the tile.

Grout, mortar and tools set someone back maybe $50-$75.

It's actually pretty easy to do - if not a bit messy. Make sure it's on a solid surface though. Any play will result in cracks. If you have to put down a stiffer subfloor, then you're looking at another jump in price.

Yes it's a rental property,.. but a rental they plan on selling

to me it looks as they arn't planning on it staying as a rental,.. but for sale only

I was more concerned with neighbourhood and the budget

if the house is only worth so much but they want to put X amount in,.. they may never see any gains back

if that were the case in a 'less desireable' area,.. I would suggest a great laminate vs/ tile.

However if this place was in arbour lake, discovery, chapparral, etc,.. maybe a nice tile is in order.

Just my thoughts

Laminate install runs about $2.75 ish/sq/ft - decent laminate will be about $2/sq/ft

for comparisson

hardwood install starts about $3.50ish/sq/ft
materials approx $5/sq/ft

Tile install is about $5ish/sq/ft + materials

When you tile,.. it's good to make sure you have a good 3/4" of solid flooring below,.. most of the time there is only 5/8 flooring,.. so adding 1/4 ply will add strength reduce stress cracks in grout and tile - Extra $$$