PDA

View Full Version : LF: Medium sized Engine lathe.

sr20det
10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, Does anyone know anyone who has a moderately sized engine lathe that they want to sell?

I'm looking for something around 10-12" swing x 24 - 48" between centers. Preferably NOT a house of tools or busy bee special.

also, im looking to spend between $900 - $1500.00.

The age of the machine doesn't really matter, id prefer something older anyways. it just has to be in decent shape.

Thanks guys!

legendboy
10-28-2008, 08:33 AM
good luck with finding one here, even if one comes up it will be more $ then what you are looking to spend. (I watch the used machinery market in canada full time)

I have the 10x20 craftex gearhead lathe. It is a bit of a turd out of the box, has 7tpi leadscrew....etc.. BUT

if you take the whole thing apart, clean all the shit out of the gearbox, degrease and chamfer/dress everything, re align, shim the head, saddle, tailstock, and put a DRO on it...it turns into a farily capable little machine.

It is alot beefier then most of the other similar sized lathes comming in somewhere close to 400lbs.

There is an old atlas fs on kijiji atm. Its old, you would have to go check it out to see how worn the bed is.

I had been looking for a half ass decent usa made mill for around 5 years. anything that came up was either a complete pos or out of my price range.

I finally got fed up and bit the bullet. Bought something nice out of NJ and had jori international bring it up here for me.

So if you are looking for something nice at a good price just do your reasearch and buy something out of the us&a. at least thats mho

if i might ask, what are you doing? automotive stuff? gunsmithing? production? hobby?

dj_honda
10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
good luck with finding one here, even if one comes up it will be more $ then what you are looking to spend. (I watch the used machinery market in canada full time)

I have the 10x20 craftex gearhead lathe. It is a bit of a turd out of the box, has 7tpi leadscrew....etc.. BUT

if you take the whole thing apart, clean all the shit out of the gearbox, degrease and chamfer/dress everything, re align, shim the head, saddle, tailstock, and put a DRO on it...it turns into a farily capable little machine.

It is alot beefier then most of the other similar sized lathes comming in somewhere close to 400lbs.

There is an old atlas fs on kijiji atm. Its old, you would have to go check it out to see how worn the bed is.

I had been looking for a half ass decent usa made mill

for around 5 years. anything that came up was either a complete pos or out of my price range.

I finally got fed up and bit the bullet. Bought something nice out of NJ and had jori international bring it up here for me.

So if you are looking for something nice at a good price just do your reasearch and buy something out of the us&a. at least thats mho

if i might ask, what are you doing? automotive stuff? gunsmithing? production? hobby?

Hey, since you look full time, do you have any suggestions on where to look other than the obvious classified sites?

sr20det
10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

if you take the whole thing apart, clean all the shit out of the gearbox, degrease and chamfer/dress everything, re align, shim the head, saddle, tailstock, and put a DRO on it...it turns into a farily capable little machine

Is that all it takes??? Lol.

Yea, i saw that Atlas on kijiji. For the price though, i think you'd be better off buying the clausing 12" lathe for $3000. ITs fully restored too.

I just want one too keep up with my Turning skills. Im more centralized around cnc milling at work, and i'm losing my manual skills, i haven't turned anything for a while, and i have the shop space here at home, and i mean, I could use it for automotive use..turning rotors n such for family/friends.

But yea, you said you keep up with used machinery for sale in canada, care to share where you're looking? what are some other good sites that have used machine tools for sale?

legendboy
10-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sr20det
Is that all it takes??? Lol.

haha well i enjoy rebuilding machinery so it didn't seem like too bad of a job :nut:

Yea, i saw that Atlas on kijiji. For the price though, i think you'd be better off buying the clausing 12" lathe for $3000. ITs fully restored too.

hmmm i wouldn't myself. It could look pretty nice and may even demo ok but might have a sloppy worn bed. Which you won't find out until you get it home.

Pretty hit and miss. Most people arn't willing to let you spend hours with their machine, or let you take stuff apart, i know i wouldn't :rofl:

But yea, you said you keep up with used machinery for sale in canada, care to share where you're looking? what are some other good sites that have used machine tools for sale?

well i was watch local classifieds across canada and ebay. i have stopped watching used machine dealers inventory because their prices are always very very high.

I have kinda stopped watching lately since i have everything i need now.

problem in canada, and more so in western canada we don't have jack shit here for used stuff. there is alot more out east but still nothing compaired to the usa. this drives the prices way up here, since most individuals are scared to freight machinery up to canada from the us.

Here are a few sites most of the machine shop owners in town watch

http://www.netmachinery.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi
http://www.surplusrecord.com/
http://www.yodermachinery.com/

you get so much more bang for your buck in the usa, even paying for the freight up here and exchange. Also the choice of pretty much anything you want.

CUG
10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Bilt Rite Engines 243-5538 is closing it's doors, suspect they are selling all of their engine machining equipment. Talk to Tim.

sr20det
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
How much did the shipping cost you from the US? The reason's why i haven;t even looked in the US, is, well, because of shipping, that and, if you buy from the southern/eastern states...its highly unlikely that i would go down and check it out.

Say i found a machine i was interested in, do you think it would be cheaper to rent a U-haul and just go pick it up?

legendboy
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
hmm probably not

shipping my mill from nj cost me $794. That included freight, FSC, gst, brokerage.

60 x 60 x 50 crate 1600lbs

however i did ship it through works jori account. they won't deal with individuals afaik

meatball
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Any one know why Bilt Rite is going tits up?

They f'd up my head on my mazda and now I'm out $2300. Pissing antifreeze all over my driveway...

legendboy
11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Said too hard to find and keep good staff.

They only have automotive related machinery fs.