PDA

View Full Version : Revealed: 2010 Porsche Cayman facelift

calstar
10-28-2008, 06:23 AM
http://www.motorauthority.com/porsche-reportedly-working-on-cayman-facelift-for-2009.html

New dual-clutch gearbox, direct-injection, bigger engines...:)

yue
10-28-2008, 06:40 AM
pretty gay how this car doesn't come standard with a LSD but at least it's getting a factory one now :clap:

schocker
10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
I like the new look, especially the tail lights, along with the revised engines, I am sure 320hp in the cayman s would be quite fun.

Pollywog
10-28-2008, 08:20 AM
"That should be enough extra power to scoot the small hardtop to 62mph (100km/h) in about 6.0 seconds. Further improvements to the sprint time will also be available via the PDK dual-clutch gearbox that is expected to become available as an option. Fitted with the quick-shifting gearbox, the new Cayman's 0-62mph run should take just 5.8 seconds."

Who pays that much (approx 65,000+) for a car that has a 6 second 0-60?

schocker
10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
It only has 260hp, what more do you want?
If people want speed they will get the S.

Xtrema
10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Who pays that much (approx 65,000) for a car that has a 6 second 0-60?

It's a Porsche. It's all about the brand.

badatusrnames
10-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Who pays that much (approx 65,000) for a car that has a 6 second 0-60?

:werd:

It's all about badge buying - just like the Boxster, a bit of a poser car if you ask me. Although I guess with this update it's become a little more legit than the original 245HP base model. My crappy 1990 could dust one of those off... Although I'm sure even the base Cayman would be a fun drive.

Pollywog
10-28-2008, 08:53 AM
^ I forgot to factor in the $20,000 badge :D

I know you are right Xtrema, it's however part of my big pet peeve called Porsche.

For example, cited from Leftlane News:

"A new study has found that German sports car maker Porsche earns an incredible average of $28,000 in profit on every vehicle it sells. The figure — printed in Germany’s Welt am Sonntag newspaper, citing a study by B&D Forecast — dwarfs the per-car earnings of virtually any other automaker.
Comparatively, luxury and sports car maker BMW makes about $3,200 per car. Audi nets a less impressive $1,580, and Chrysler and Volkswagen earn just $900 and $400, respectively.
Porsche’s overall earnings for 2006 were $2.7 billion. Overall sales totaled 96,794 vehicles."

I wish people would realize they are buying a name, not a car (perhaps they do, and I simply cannot understand this phenomenon). $70k to obtain a car that is marginally better/worse in areas comparable to a $40,000 car doesn't make sence unless you are stupid, or only care about what others think.

I have nothing against owners of porsches, hell - Id buy an old 911 anyday.

Eleanor
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
unless you are stupid, or only care about what others think.
Bingo, Porsche's target market :D

badatusrnames
10-28-2008, 09:04 AM
I have nothing against owners of porsches, hell - Id buy an old 911 anyday.

I love how you hid that down there. I agree with you, Porsche makes some outstanding vehicles. It's just a shame that they've diluted the brand with the sub par vehicles like the base Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne to appeal to those that simply want brand association. That being said, the S and Turbo models, respectively of those vehicles are still outstanding.

Pollywog
10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

I love how you hid that down there. I agree with you, Porsche makes outstanding vehicles. It's just a shame that they've diluted the brand with the sub par vehicles like the base Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne to appeal to those that simply want brand association. That being said, the S and Turbo models, respectively of those vehicles are still outstanding.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Xtrema
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
sub par vehicles like the base Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne to appeal to those that simply want brand association.

They may dilute the brand but since Porsche is now trying to takeover VW, it's an awesome business move.

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I love how you hid that down there. I agree with you, Porsche makes some outstanding vehicles. It's just a shame that they've diluted the brand with the sub par vehicles like the base Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne to appeal to those that simply want brand association. That being said, the S and Turbo models, respectively of those vehicles are still outstanding.
Diluted the brand? Porsche has been making lower end vehicles for years and that never affected the strength of their brand. Think back to the 912, 914, 924, 944, these were all low hp cars and some werent any quicker than a vw gti. The Cayman and Boxster are keeping fun pure motoring alive, it's not always about 0-60 times. I'll reserve my comments about the Cayenne haha.

95EagleAWD
10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Go drive a Cayman and come back and tell me it's not one of the best cars on the market, 265 bhp or not.

It's not all about numbers!!!!

benyl
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Diluted the brand? Porsche has been making lower end vehicles for years and that never affected the strength of their brand. Think back to the 912, 914, 924, 944, these were all low hp cars and some werent any quicker than a vw gti. The Cayman and Boxster are keeping fun pure motoring alive, it's not always about 0-60 times. I'll reserve my comments about the Cayenne haha.

The problem with most of the comments in this thread is that you are dealing with a bunch of bench racers.

Most of them have never driven a Porsche let alone sat in one.

If Porsches were only worth the extra money for the name, why do people pay so much money for 25 year old 911s? 911s are notorious money pits in terms of maintenance, yet the market is very strong for them.

C4S
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah ..

It is beyond here ..

Mustang is the King.. Civic is the Qeeen ..

Anywaycayman will be more then $65K loaded .. they all $70K plus .. and $90K for S ... and they will be SOLD OUT anyway .. so .. doesn't matter if it is slower then a Mustang on straight line or not ..

Rolex is not more accurate then a Timex .. but 500 times more expensive ..

PP doesn't have more function then Rolex .. but 10 times more expensive .. why ? :bigpimp:

$300K DBS is slower then a $120K 911S and slower then a 100K Z06 too .. so .. which one we will take ?? lol :bigpimp:

$400K 599 is not faster then $140K ZR1 too .. so ?

A $200 DC has more MP then a $5,000 EOS 1DIII .. so .. more MP is better ?? LOL (melinda can answer .. )

There is some reason why .. some people drive mustang .. some drive A/M .. some drive civic .. some drive Ferrari ...

Welcome to BEYOND ! the KIDS ZONE ... :clap:

ExtremeSi
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
[B]^ For example, cited from Leftlane News:

"A new study has found that German sports car maker Porsche earns an incredible average of $28,000 in profit on every vehicle it sells. The figure — printed in Germany’s Welt am Sonntag newspaper, citing a study by B&D Forecast — dwarfs the per-car earnings of virtually any other automaker.
Comparatively, luxury and sports car maker BMW makes about $3,200 per car. Audi nets a less impressive $1,580, and Chrysler and Volkswagen earn just $900 and $400, respectively.
Porsche’s overall earnings for 2006 were $2.7 billion. Overall sales totaled 96,794 vehicles."

I cannot believe Porsche makes that much on each car!! That is amazing and makes me sick. They have truely perfected their marketing. It helps to have a great product behind them of course, but still!

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

I cannot believe Porsche makes that much on each car!! That is amazing and makes me sick. They have truely perfected their marketing. It helps to have a great product behind them of course, but still!
I can they've been using the same parts on their cars for years:rofl:

Xtrema
10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I can they've been using the same parts on their cars for years:rofl:

Whatever they don't have, just steal from VW's parts bin.

Pollywog
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by benyl

The problem with most of the comments in this thread is that you are dealing with a bunch of bench racers.

Most of them have never driven a Porsche let alone sat in one.

If Porsches were only worth the extra money for the name, why do people pay so much money for 25 year old 911s? 911s are notorious money pits in terms of maintenance, yet the market is very strong for them.

You are missing the point. No one is discrediting the great engineering and potential of even the most early stages of the 911 - in fact I mentioned in my own post that despite our opinions, i'd still buy an old 911. Coming from a person who have driven a couple of higher end porsches, I loved driving them (never been on a track with one). However when you bring up the point that "911s...the market is very strong for them" it's saying the obvious - MOST OF US LOVE THE 911, but you will NOT see caymans and boxsters as heavily seeked collectors items in the future but instead on the ass end of Ebay.

Two different beasts.

Edit: The impression I got from your statement would be similar to if Chevrolet priced the cavalier/cobalt at $45,000, and you argue it makes perfect sence as the Corvette is one of the best and most seeked after sports car ever.

iceburns288
10-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I cannot believe Porsche makes that much on each car!! That is amazing and makes me sick.
That isn't actually how much they make per car, it's just their total profit divided by the number of cars sold. In Ferrari's case, they only make like 40% of their money from selling cars and the other 60% comes from licensing and merchandise. Porsche has an equal amount of merchandising, plus licensing (for example, every time EA wants to put a Porsche in NFS, they get a check,) revenues from racing programs, and profits from investments, such as their investment into the VW Group. Their parts are also notoriously expensive, and they make a huge margin on those.

ZorroAMG
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL at the Beyond-toddlers.

Even the VERY first Boxster with 201hp was a blast to drive back in the day. That thing was on rails and for the money it's always a worthy car. I even had it out on my birthday in Dec one year...it's a robust car. Some of you Myrons park your CIVICS and cheap nissans for the winter! :rofl: :rofl:

benyl
10-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Edit: The impression I got from your statement would be similar to if Chevrolet priced the cavalier/cobalt at $45,000, and you argue it makes perfect sence as the Corvette is one of the best and most seeked after sports car ever.

No, the argument I was making was with respect to those people that think that buying a Porsche is just about buying the name.

Buying a Porsche is not about being a brand whore.

The Boxster and the Cayman consistently come out as some of the best handling cars. The 700ft slalom numbers typically put exotics to shame. If I recall correctly, the S variants typically outperform the 911 cars. You can't say that about the cobalt and the corvette.

C4S
10-28-2008, 02:11 PM
FORD and GM
not talking making $2K per car .. they are actually LOSING money on each car they sell ..

So .. Benz/BMW/Porsche/Ferrari ? since these companies are making money now .. but FORD and GM are losing money .. so we should all buy and drive FORD and GM ?

So .. Ford/GM drivers are smart? since those cars cost more to build then sell .. and Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/BMW/Benz drivers are dumb ? :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM

- MOST OF US LOVE THE 911, but you will NOT see caymans and boxsters as heavily seeked collectors items in the future but instead on the ass end of Ebay.

Two different beasts.

The caymans are still very sought after and hold their value quite well. The boxster has been out for 10 years now so it's reached it's rock bottom in terms of value, there are also a lot of them out there. As time goes on and they begin to dissapear you will start to see the values of these cars increase. The 996 911 is also quite cheap and can be found in abundance, again it will take some time, but we will see an increase in value as time goes on.

Eleanor
10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The 700ft slalom numbers typically put exotics to shame.
What about cars like the Miata/S2000/Civic SI/Solstice?

ExtremeSi
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

That isn't actually how much they make per car, it's just their total profit divided by the number of cars sold. In Ferrari's case, they only make like 40% of their money from selling cars and the other 60% comes from licensing and merchandise. Porsche has an equal amount of merchandising, plus licensing (for example, every time EA wants to put a Porsche in NFS, they get a check,) revenues from racing programs, and profits from investments, such as their investment into the VW Group. Their parts are also notoriously expensive, and they make a huge margin on those.

Well ya that is miss-leading then; I was a bit skeptical as to how the results were presented. It makes more sense if you take all of the merchandising and what not into play. Still really high relative to other companies

max_boost
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I would love to own one but you need to be seriously balling to buy a new Porsche. Their look is just classic. It'll never grow old.

Everything on a Porsche is more expensive, the car, the price, the brand, image, hell have you ever optioned out one before? Ridiculars. No wonder they profit around $30K per car!

Ahhh, maybe some day!