PDA

View Full Version : Winter setup for AWD?

SilverRex
10-28-2008, 06:53 AM
so if I have got a new subaru coming in, unfortunately its on 18" summer tires. What do you guys would go about during winter?

should I

-get 17" winter with steelies
-get 18" performence all season on stock rims
or
-get 18" winter tires.

How many of you had 18" performence all season and comfortable driving in the winter?

yue
10-28-2008, 07:03 AM
i drove last year on 18" all-seasons on my gto vr4 only because i spent all my money on replacing my tranny so i couldn't afford winter tires & rims. i was confident in my driving technique, it's just other drivers that worry me. i'm getting winters this year.

IMO, i think you should go with 16" regular winters. there's no use paying for performance winter tires unless you're going to use them to go rally racing.

mac_82
10-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I have 16" winters and 17" summers.

I wouldn't go more than 17" for winters.

Eleanor
10-28-2008, 07:26 AM
17" Winters, if you already have a set of summers, why would you get all seasons?

SilverRex
10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
17" Winters, if you already have a set of summers, why would you get all seasons?

the plan is the save the 18" summer rubber for new 18" wheels. and use the 18" stock rims strictly for winter.

A all season make sense since calgary roads are quite dry, any snow dump are typically never lasting.

But I wonder just because it is AWD, would it make that much of a difference in winter drive alone that all season performence would be fine.

Hate to be driving winter tires when the road is dry 90% of the time (like last year)

Idratherbsidewayz
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

the plan is the save the 18" summer rubber for new 18" wheels. and use the 18" stock rims strictly for winter.

A all season make sense since calgary roads are quite dry, any snow dump are typically never lasting.

But I wonder just because it is AWD, would it make that much of a difference in winter drive alone that all season performence would be fine.

Hate to be driving winter tires when the road is dry 90% of the time (like last year)

Under straight accelerating and cornering to a degree the AWD will save your ass (as long as you know how to use it). However, braking in snow requires winter tires to be efficient. Get the 16" winter tires and rims. The 17" 18" winter tires are pricy too. Waaay cheaper to get 16" winters with steelies...

Aleks
10-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Get a set of 16" steelies with snow tires. A set is $700-800 for a basic package and will last you 3-4 years easily. That's like 1 monthly car payment on a new Subaru.

Since you have to buy a set (can't drive on summers) why not go for the best option. All seasons won't have as much grip in dry cold conditions as winter tires will.

clem24
10-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Agreed. Get the smallest winter wheel possible. You already have summers. DO NOT get an all season tire. Get dedicated winter tires. Winter tires are MAINLY FOR STOPPING. It seems like people with AWD just don't seem to get that. For accelerating, I can easily outrun FWD with winters on my all seasons. But when it comes to stopping, guess who won't be able to stop. Another function of winter tires is the ability to stay flexible during cold weather.

What car is this? Legacy Spec B? If so you'll need 17". Going from 16" to 17" was a huge jump in price (like 20%+). 18" might be a little big to find good winters, but that's just my guess.

SilverRex
10-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Get a set of 16" steelies with snow tires. A set is $700-800 for a basic package and will last you 3-4 years easily. That's like 1 monthly car payment on a new Subaru.

Since you have to buy a set (can't drive on summers) why not go for the best option. All seasons won't have as much grip in dry cold conditions as winter tires will.

yeah well its a fact that im going to get new summer wheels, and if I get a different set for winter (like 16/17 with steelies) then that means my stock rim will just sit in storage and not able to put in use.

alloroc
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I went with 17" steelies and KW-17's.

You want winter tires for braking the odd icy patch and for this most any winter will kick the crap out of all seasons any time it is colder than freezing. But for the most part the roads here are dry so you want a longer lasting tire that will put up with the pavement You also want to preserve some semblence of dry road handling so the 17" will also help you there.

Small diameter 'snow belt' winters (blizzak, Dunlop graspic, Kumho kw-19) are not needed. The reason those tires are overkill for your car is you only need them in deep snow. If it really comes down traffic is at a standstill anyway and with awd you won't have any issues with just the KW-17.

Lastly - if you plan on taking the car on the highway or are using it to go skiing ignore everything I said and get small diameter aggresive tread snow tires.

bigboom
10-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Under straight accelerating and cornering to a degree the AWD will save your ass (as long as you know how to use it). However, braking in snow requires winter tires to be efficient. Get the 16" winter tires and rims. The 17" 18" winter tires are pricy too. Waaay cheaper to get 16" winters with steelies...

im guessing that is he is getting a "new" subaru with stock 18's it's going to be a STI and if so 16's won't clear the brembos AFAIK.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

im guessing that is he is getting a "new" subaru with stock 18's it's going to be a STI and if so 16's won't clear the brembos AFAIK.

In that case you can get 18" winters, but they will be pricey. No point having your perfectly good rims laying around.

rc2002
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Run the smallest winter tires you can fit on your car.

Takemetoothemoo
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
18" winter tires if you have the money.

Winter tires will make your subie so much more fun.

bigboom
10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
17's will clear both brembos and legacy gt brakes (the only other car subaru offers 18's on) and i agree a subaru really isnt a subaru in the winter until you put winters on it :)

max_boost
10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Use your stock wheels for the winters. Spend extra and get the Michelin PA2's!

You'll get the dry performance and winter traction. I have them on all my cars. Not much to worry about anyway. AWD+Stability control+winter tires=Ultimate winter car!

Zenshi
10-30-2008, 10:44 PM
18" Stock wheels (if STi) for track
18" Summers for cruising
17" Winters + Studded = Winter driving almost feels like summer driving! =)

pf0sh0
10-30-2008, 10:47 PM
How wide are the 18s? Usually the wider they are, they just work as ski's.:banghead: And cost alot of cheddar. GO smaller and thinner

Redlyne_jr
10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
How wide are the 18s? Usually the wider they are, they just work as ski's.:banghead: And cost alot of cheddar. GO smaller and thinner

cheddar:poosie:

SilverRex
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Zenshi
18" Summers for cruising

well I dont think I want the stock rims at 28lb each for tracking.

SilverRex
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Zenshi
18" Summers for cruising

well I dont think I want the stock rims at 28lb each for tracking.

benyl
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
1. You can't get 17" steel wheels to clear the brakes on an STI (if they are still using 4 pot brembos).
2. Get winter tires. As narrow as possible. Size doesn't matter, 18 or 17. 17 will be WAY cheaper.

eb0i
01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
So what did you end up going with? I am looking for a winter tire set up for my STi as well.

Sorath
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
i bought another set of bbs' and put 17in winters on them

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I have Rota Torques w/ 17" winters..

My bbs are my summer rims.