PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944 OWNERS

/////AMG
09-20-2003, 02:39 PM
I's just like to know some info. Cause I'm debating on gettin a Porsche 944 or not.

I heard it's a high-maintenance car, true?
Are parts expensive?
Who ever has a 944, can you tell me how much your insurance is, and how old you are? I know mine will be atleast double or triple yours cause I'm still a high school student.
What else should I look out for when If I buy a 944.

Thanks!

tegdream
09-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
I's just like to know some info. Cause I'm debating on gettin a Porsche 944 or not.

I heard it's a high-maintenance car, true?
Are parts expensive?
Who ever has a 944, can you tell me how much your insurance is, and how old you are? I know mine will be atleast double or triple yours cause I'm still a high school student.
What else should I look out for when If I buy a 944.

Thanks!

crazy crazy lazy lazy the 944 is the kia of porsches easy easy

jk :rofl:

teknical
09-20-2003, 02:55 PM
I had a 86 porsche 944 n/a as my first car, insurance was 3500/year without collision, and It was during this summer.
I'm also 18.

/////AMG
09-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by tegdream

crazy crazy lazy lazy the 944 is the kia of porsches easy easy

jk :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: lol, yo don't get me into Porsche vs. your civic lol

tegdream
09-20-2003, 04:07 PM

:rofl: :rofl: lol, yo don't get me into Porsche vs. your civic lol

haha when its YOUR porsche then we can talk till then kia it is :rofl:

VWhooligan
09-20-2003, 04:22 PM
944 turbo's have a very high maintenance cost. the N/A versions are far less.

rage2
09-20-2003, 05:57 PM
944 turbo's a poor man's porsche... anyone that owns one will become a poor man eventually due to maintainace :rofl:.

hehe j/k... it's not that bad. The big bills come from the trouble spots... waterpump, timing belt, rod bearings, power steering pump.

/////AMG
09-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by rage2
944 turbo's a poor man's porsche... anyone that owns one will become a poor man eventually due to maintainace :rofl:.

hehe j/k... it's not that bad. The big bills come from the trouble spots... waterpump, timing belt, rod bearings, power steering pump.

Since you have own one, what is the highest bill you got and for what? Have you had any major problems?

What major questions should I ask if I buy it, othe rthan like the turbo, the timing belt, if it has a turbo timer and that stuff.

THANKS ALOT!

Alpine Autowerks
09-20-2003, 07:08 PM
I tell owners to expect 2-3 k per year in maintenance.

keeping the cambelt area dry requires almost constant seal replacement. typical repairs run 800 - 1200 per vist.

ie water pump or timing belt + reseal.
clutch is 2 k

benyl
09-20-2003, 07:17 PM
the timing belt went on mine. bent valves are expensive... they are titanium...

clutch is also another thing to look for on these cars... they tend to go.

I loved mine... got it when I was 16. Insurance was mofo high.

/////AMG
09-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
the timing belt went on mine. bent valves are expensive... they are titanium...

clutch is also another thing to look for on these cars... they tend to go.

I loved mine... got it when I was 16. Insurance was mofo high.

How much!?!?

rage2
09-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Get a strong clutch + pressure plate, it'll last forever.

The labor is what kills you on clutch jobs. Drop the tranny or engine to get to the clutch. Both sides are labour intensive.

Redlyne_mr2
09-20-2003, 08:00 PM
I love my 944..its a great daily driver. Insurance for me is around 250/month however my deductible is $2500:confused: Alot of the maintenance I do myself which really helps to keep costs low. I do however need to get the car into Marc's place to get my timing belt and waterpump done just to be on the safe side. If it wasnt for www.porschapart.com however I would have sold the car alont time ago...parts are crazy expensive from the dealer

benyl
09-21-2003, 09:32 AM

How much!?!?

Well it was 3600/year. That was 10 years ago. Damn I am old.

$500 deductable. Parents multicar discount. PLPD only, no collision.

It is probably a little less now that the car is much older... but usually affects collision only.

Hope that helps

JustinL
09-21-2003, 11:45 AM
My insurance on the na and the turbo are the same because I don't have collision ( they want a ridiculous ammount for collision). It's right around 1000$ per year. I'm 23 with one ticket on my record.

Talk to me about maintenance on the turbo... godamnsonofabitch left me stranded with a broken CV joint for the second time this year last thursday. It's probably because the joints are 15 years old and I'm putting a little more torque through them than from the factory ;). That and our shitty Edmonton roads that cause ridiculous wheel hop.

The N/A has been much more reliable, but it doesn't get worked as hard. Yes the clutch is really expensive, but if you replace it with a spring centered it will last forever. Just remember that it's an old sports car and things will break, just keep on top of it and it wont kill you.

As far as expensive parts, you can find really good prices on most of the parts... if you are willing to wait. If you NEED your car back by the weekend and have to go to a dealer to get parts it will get very expensive.

Hope that helps. Also if you really are looking for a 944, my 87 n/a is for sale; pm me if you are interested.

Justin

/////AMG
09-22-2003, 04:24 PM
Ok, Thanks m10-power, btw how can it not be fast, the turbo has about 220hp, I think thats good poer for almost 20 years ago. :thumbsup:. Anyway I don't car if its slow or fast, just gotta get to places.