PDA

View Full Version : Need Everyones Help

90TurboLude
09-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Okay so i need all the advice that you folks can dish out. A little back ground.. my car is a 1990 Prelude SR.. its engine was burning oil for a long time (like a year and a bit..) and i faithfully filled it and kept it happy. But I took a trip to red deer yesterday, and for somereason it ate the oil super fast and then it seems like it blew a seal somewhere because now when i put oil in it comes right out... and it was smoking mad, but i think thats kuz the seal blew oil out on to the hot engine.. and it sounded like there was detonation, but not really, more like a knocking, but not dieseling type ping. like maybe metal hitting something:confused: anywho its dead in red deer now...

so i need to find out what the best option for fixing this is. and what it was most likely (so i can know for future reference..) should i be doing an engine drop into it? like an imported b21? or can the engine be rebuilt up with new seals and such, im not worried about cylinder damage too too much because i was gonna over bore it about 2-3 mm.. so . :dunno: any who this should be enough to get you mechanical geniuses up and running ..
thanks in advance

-MR.Lude-

ecstasy_civic
09-20-2003, 04:50 PM
If your asking what to do cause the car is stuck in red deer, call Cam at Diablo Power Products, hes there right now and im sure he could help you.

CelicaST-162
09-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Oh man that sounds like your engine is fucked....(either spun rod bearing) due to oil starvation, I may be wrong, but get it checked out, but it really sounds like theres serious engine damage due lack of oil....hope this helps dood!

Ashkente
09-21-2003, 01:57 AM
Didn't you just do a rebuild this summer?..

As for the noise, exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. He had an oil leak for a good year or so, ignored it, added oil on a weekly basis, and he ended up with a spun rod bearing. We swapped the engine stock for stock(easy as hell too, we did it over a weekend), since we found a "new" engine dirtass cheap.

OT: Are you not going to UofC anymore? I haven't seen you around yet..

90TurboLude
09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
yeah, I didnt actually get arround to that rebuild because me and my mechanic were having a hell of a time finding parts, autozeal and davenport basically gave up right away.. but we found a company down in California. And nope im not going to U of C this year kuz im takin a year off to work and make money (good thing too kuz i would be broke as heck if i was in school and this happend) anywho.. yeah I think im gonna get a flat deck trailor and get my uncle to drive it back home. then at least it can sit in the back yard as i figure stuff out... I totally got shit on this weekend though kuz my car died and my mechanic now need back surgery, which means no free mechanical work till like next summer, if ever.. what i wonder is would this kinda stuff permanently ruin the engine, like is it just a matter of gettin the cylinder walls reground and having new seals and gaskets etc.. or is it like the heads and block are ruined? im not too much in the know with all this mechanical stuff, but i sorta understand the structure... maybe I will try to fix it myself? maybe just drop a "new" stock one back in there ( i so dont wanna do that.. )...

well suggestions and comments folks?

_mR.LUde_

CelicaST-162
09-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Well, I had the same problem on my other celica, it ran out of oil and i was on the highway, there was a knocking noise from the bottom end, and it gets louder when it revs higher. When you say having the cylinder walls bored, and new seals, and gaskets, it wont do anything, you will still have the knocking, when you spin a rod bearing you must machine the crank, and the rod (i think), you basically have to rebuild the bottom end of the engine, which will cost $$$$$, my suggestion is, find another engine and drop it in, it will be the cheaper route. Worst case scenario if you ignore it and keep driving, you could risk sending a rod thru the block....but im pretty sure you wouldnt do that......peace.

illeagle
10-19-2003, 07:42 PM
head gasket?