PDA

View Full Version : Academic Misconduct

kwjent
10-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Academic Misconduct- Has anyone ever expierenced this before. Does it stay on your transcripts forever?

jav_
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
did u cheat an exam or copy an essay without reference? lol

badatusrnames
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Duh duh duh...

Give us some context. What was the severity? The institution? Did you do it? What's the evidence against you? Have you had a meeting with the Dean?

kwjent
10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a friend that got caught not referncing properly and I guess he has to go through all this crap now.

jav_
10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
like kicked out of school for a year?

5hift
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Tell your "friend" that when they review it, if he actually wrote a legit paper and made a honest mistake with his referencing, he will probably just get a F in the paper, possibly fail the course if they are hardcore. But if he copied an essay off the net which is more likely what happened, he/you will probably get suspended for at least a semester... I have a friend that submitted a plagerized paper at Mount Royal, and he just got a F in that class though, so its all in the details you dont want to share.

Kloubek
10-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Act like an ass, treating college like high school, and expect your own to be violated. And to be honest, it should be. :dunno:

chkolny541
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Tell your "friend" that when they review it, if he actually wrote a legit paper and made a honest mistake with his referencing, he will probably just get a F in the paper, possibly fail the course if they are hardcore. But if he copied an essay off the net which is more likely what happened, he/you will probably get suspended for at least a semester... I have a friend that submitted a plagerized paper at Mount Royal, and he just got a F in that class though, so its all in the details you dont want to share.

X2 couldnt have said it better myself, what kind of plagerizing did he do exactly, was it word for word? or a silly little mistake

msommers
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by kwjent
I have a friend that got caught not referncing properly and I guess he has to go through all this crap now.

You are not going to be subject to academic misconduct on the basis of misquoting, not citing properly or honestly forgetting to include a reference. The amount your friend copied has to be a substantial, and if that's the case, I feel no pity for them.

sneek
10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by msommers

You are not going to be subject to academic misconduct on the basis of misquoting, not citing properly or honestly forgetting to include a reference. The amount your friend copied has to be a substantial, and if that's the case, I feel no pity for them.

:werd:
Most of the time if you cite something wrong you will just fail the assignment, probably not the course (depending on weight).

tabouli
10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
ha! What a retarded move

Cheating students have the same method of rationalization as drug mules

I always chose to hand in nothing, as opposed to grabbing someone else's BS off of the internet. Accepting a failing mark sure beats getting the fucking boot!

GQBalla
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
lol your friend most likely you is stupid.

and it does stay on your transcript forever

BigShow
10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Fucking cheaters.

ZorroAMG
10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Eating's not cheating:

When YOUR review is up, quickly snatch the paper from the board member's hand and eat it up...staples and all.

That'll learn ya!

diamondedge
10-29-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL, my prof was just talking about this. We have mini-projects in ENGG407, and this one guy literally photocopied every sheet of someone else's assignment and handed it in under his own name.

:facepalm:

D. Dub
10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Not to mention the only person he is actually and truly cheating is himself.

Isaiah
10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Suicide is the only option at this point.

signature7
10-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
LOL, my prof was just talking about this. We have mini-projects in ENGG407, and this one guy literally photocopied every sheet of someone else's assignment and handed it in under his own name.

Wow, you would hope to god a person getting to that level of University would know better.

rufi0
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
LOL. What others have said are right on... it all depends on the severity.

So cheating on a essay, eh. :facepalm: If this is your first time, I'm guessing you'll probably get you a slap on the hand and a flag on your "file". :rofl:

arian_ma
10-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by signature7

Wow, you would hope to god a person getting to that level of University would know better.
You have no idea of the shit that goes on in Engineering my friend. That's not even shocking at this point.

badatusrnames
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

What a retard... I mean, photocopied? Reminds me of 349 last year. People were copying assignment solutions straight out of the PDF solution manual everyone had. The only problem was, the solutions manual was for a previous edition and people weren't smart enough to change numbers/units when required...

Originally posted by D. Dub

Not to mention the only person he is actually and truly cheating is himself.

Bingo. Profs have told me they don't give us assignments so much to test us, but to help us learn the material and to give us a few "free" marks outside of exams. I do all of my assignments on my own first and then compare with others and change answers as needed.

Originally posted by arian_ma

You have no idea of the shit that goes on in Engineering my friend. That's not even shocking at this point.

Profs don't have a problem with people working on assignments in groups and wouldn't consider that cheating, except if you cheat yourself if you don't make the effort to do the material yourself and are simply just copying from others.

Spoons
10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Act like an ass, treating college like high school, and expect your own to be violated. And to be honest, it should be. :dunno:

Werd...

People in university/college are supposed to be adults now... no ARE adults. Last time I checked, an adult will write the paper, and do his/her OWN work. You/Your friend is some punk kid who doesn't belong there. You/Him should leave and make room for someone more deserving.

You don't get academic misconduct for not properly referencing. I don't properly reference in probably all of my labs because I am rushed at the end to finish it, and I have yet to receive an academic misconduct. Stop bs'in... he copied... plain and simple.

I can't stand people who cheat. I bust my ass (well attempt to) to get okay marks, while some lazy piece does nothing.

trliniar
10-29-2008, 11:31 PM
i know if you get caught cheating in an accounting course you red red flagged, it gets put on your transcript, and in one extreme case the prof sent out a guys info to all of the major firms for misconduct.... the likelihood of this guy getting a job as an accountant where you have to follow rules (especially in these days) lol....
might as well drop out

rockwolf2001
10-30-2008, 11:22 AM

lol thats how you can tell when an assignment is due, you see big groups of nerds gathered together as if they were being social, then you go up closer and they're actually all working on the same assignment. :rofl:

as for the misconduct. i know people who have copied someone else's assignment and accidentally left the other persons name on it, along with his name on some other pages of the assignment.
he had academic misconduct left on his record, a phone call home, and an F on the paper, that's it.
it all depends on the prof.

kaput
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM

06civic
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Werd...

People in university/college are supposed to be adults now... no ARE adults. Last time I checked, an adult will write the paper, and do his/her OWN work. You/Your friend is some punk kid who doesn't belong there. You/Him should leave and make room for someone more deserving.

You don't get academic misconduct for not properly referencing. I don't properly reference in probably all of my labs because I am rushed at the end to finish it, and I have yet to receive an academic misconduct. Stop bs'in... he copied... plain and simple.

I can't stand people who cheat. I bust my ass (well attempt to) to get okay marks, while some lazy piece does nothing.

I wouldnt' assume he bs'ed you can get academic misconduct depending on the prof. Also if cops can give you a ticket for something you didnt do, a prof can do. I got accused for academic misconduct once, and their agrument was i wasn't smart enough to do such good work.

Transp0rt3r
10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
i know if you get caught cheating in an accounting course you red red flagged, it gets put on your transcript, and in one extreme case the prof sent out a guys info to all of the major firms for misconduct.... the likelihood of this guy getting a job as an accountant where you have to follow rules (especially in these days) lol....
might as well drop out

You heard this from Wayne, right? :rofl: This guys scares shit out of the new students in accounting. Which IS GOOD!!! So they don't cheat on the assignments. He catch you cheatin' - consider changing career, seriously !

For some reason , more and more dumb assess decide to go to the Haskayne nowadays :banghead: Get boot out after first year and then what??!! Is this new trend????

jav_
10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001

lol thats how you can tell when an assignment is due, you see big groups of nerds gathered together as if they were being social, then you go up closer and they're actually all working on the same assignment. :rofl:

LOOOL:rofl:

Quiet10
10-30-2008, 02:28 PM
This just recently happened to a friend of mine.

She had finished a Comp sci course last year and had one of her assignments saved from back then.

One of HER friends came up to her begging for her to lend her that assignment since her friend is now in the comp sci course and of course my friend (she's the most generous person i know, but naive at the same time) gave it to him. Of course this guy made up some BS excuse about an emergency about now being able to do it.

Well a few weeks pass and my friend gets notice from the U that she is being investigated for academic misconduct.

Turns out the guy handed in the assignment without modifying anything on it at all, and they somehow found her name on the assignment.

Also, makes it worse because the assignment hasn't changed over that year period.

So basically now she's stuck with possible academic probation for a year because he was a moron and handed in her assignment with her name on there somehow.

Stupid motherfcking moron.

:thumbsdow

Unikkatil
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
^lol @ that. I think you mean to say "stupid motherfucking moron-S". You should not be giving out answers in the first place, expecially a whole assignment, she should have known better..and i am sure she knew the risks involved when she gave it to a guy whos asking to cheat for an assignment lol.

googe
10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Haha, I have never even gone near the U of C, and even I know that Engineering is rampant with blatant cheating. That reputation reaches pretty far.

That explains why so many engineers that enter the workforce are completely clueless. What should require a reasonably respectable level of work and intelligence really requires none at all.

Quiet10
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Unikkatil
^lol @ that. I think you mean to say "stupid motherfucking moron-S". You should not be giving out answers in the first place, expecially a whole assignment, she should have known better..and i am sure she knew the risks involved when she gave it to a guy whos asking to cheat for an assignment lol.

Thanks for judging my friend without knowing her. You think she honestly let him borrow it so he could copy it all and cheat? She didn't even know the assignments would be the same year after year. It was intended as an example so that he could use it as A REFERENCE. Of course, she was naive to think that he wouldn't copy any of it.

Thanks for the useless post. :guns:

BerserkerCatSplat
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by googe
Haha, I have never even gone near the U of C, and even I know that Engineering is rampant with blatant cheating. That reputation reaches pretty far.

That explains why so many engineers that enter the workforce are completely clueless. What should require a reasonably respectable level of work and intelligence really requires none at all.

Not sure how accurate that is, what is defined as cheating in some faculties (ie. working on assignments in groups) is actively encouraged in Engg. People who actually need to cheat usually don't make it past first year Engg. :dunno:

black_2.5RS
10-30-2008, 10:36 PM
All faculties in University i'm sure are full of cheaters. When I went through CPSC, 5+ yrs ago, it was about as blatant as you can get. After all, if you had no clue how to code, why change anything and risk that the program does compile / run at all. I'll never forget one girl in my class, 4th yr CPSC (and eventually graduated) said to me in my project class...."That's HTML? Neat". I almost lost it on her. I had to go take a long walk after that.....

sneek
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Transp0rt3r

You heard this from Wayne, right? :rofl: This guys scares shit out of the new students in accounting. Which IS GOOD!!! So they don't cheat on the assignments. He catch you cheatin' - consider changing career, seriously !

For some reason , more and more dumb assess decide to go to the Haskayne nowadays :banghead: Get boot out after first year and then what??!! Is this new trend????

Wayne is awesome. I started going to his lectures becuase Anita Lakra is fucking useless. Someone should punch her in the uterus to make sure she never has kids. I go to Anita's lectures after going to Waynes and I feel like she is trying to confuse me or something...then she tells us not to complicate things. :banghead: Maybe I am just a douche bag, I think she is a HORRIBLE prof...I wonder how she is still here. I also hate it when she wears sun glasses to teach, it bugs the hell out of me. I am not a very angry person, but the thought of her makes me VERY angry.

Transp0rt3r
10-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by sneek

Wayne is awesome. I started going to his lectures becuase Anita Lakra is fucking useless. Someone should punch her in the uterus to make sure she never has kids. I go to Anita's lectures after going to Waynes and I feel like she is trying to confuse me or something...then she tells us not to complicate things. :banghead: Maybe I am just a douche bag, I think she is a HORRIBLE prof...I wonder how she is still here. I also hate it when she wears sun glasses to teach, it bugs the hell out of me. I am not a very angry person, but the thought of her makes me VERY angry.

Haha ... yeah ... Looks like she doesn't even want to teach the course .... This woman is confusing as hell !! No doubt :banghead:

Gainsbarre
10-31-2008, 07:21 AM

I am not a very angry person, but the thought of her makes me VERY angry.

Just think about her hairstyle and Alice (from the Dilbert comics) and the feelings of anger should go away -- works for me.

http://support.kdupg.edu.my/others/it%20humor/DILBERT/alice.gif

topmade
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
There has always been cheaters.....It's just easier to find them now with the tools they have.

urban.one
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
its easier to cheat and cheaters have more tools too. everything always advances. it goes both ways.

Originally posted by topmade
There has always been cheaters.....It's just easier to find them now with the tools they have.

Eleanor
10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Not sure how accurate that is, what is defined as cheating in some faculties (ie. working on assignments in groups) is actively encouraged in Engg. People who actually need to cheat usually don't make it past first year Engg. :dunno:
:werd:

You'll find that very few people in Engineering blatantly "cheat". Everyone in the faculty knows we work together on assignments and profs are totally fine with that. They all know we use older students' labs as templates for our lab write-ups. They all did the same things when they went through Uni :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
I recall reading a study a while ago that surveyed post-secondary students. Over half of MBAs and Engineers admitted to cheating on at least one on an exam.

em2ab
10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I got caught for this once, got my grade on the paper - 50%. That was it.

ExtraSlow
10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
it's actually kind of tough to cheat on some senior engineering course tests. You are allowed to bring in reference materials.

arian_ma
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Or because they spend 4 years teaching you how to triple integrate when in reality that shit means fuck all.

Edit: My boss at my summer job always talks about how 3/4 the degree is essentially useless, and they have to completely retrain almost everyone who comes into the company.

badatusrnames
11-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Or because they spend 4 years teaching you how to triple integrate when in reality that shit means fuck all.

Edit: My boss at my summer job always talks about how 3/4 the degree is essentially useless, and they have to completely retrain almost everyone who comes into the company.

Exactly. While you need those foundation courses. I really wish they integrated more practical hands on courses into the degrees.

That being said, I'm in the Oil & Gas program and it's nice to have courses taught by experienced industry people instead of out of touch academics, make rig visits, see logging trucks and equipment, etc. It's too bad the other programs don't do similar things.

prae
11-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Exactly. While you need those foundation courses. I really wish they integrated more practical hands on courses into the degrees.

That being said, I'm in the Oil & Gas program and it's nice to have courses taught by experienced industry people instead of out of touch academics, make rig visits, see logging trucks and equipment, etc. It's too bad the other programs don't do similar things.

if you want more relevant or practical coursework, go to SAIT.

I have a bsEE from UofA and I agree, easily 2/3rds of it is irrelevant.

badatusrnames
11-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by prae
if you want more relevant or practical coursework, go to SAIT.

But I don't want to go to SAIT, I wouldn't be challenged there and want to earn a degree.

But like I said, they could easily replace some of the more abstract, theoretical courses (read ENGG 407) with more practical courses. Shouldn't the aim of an engineering school be to produce better, more prepared graduates?

arian_ma
11-01-2008, 12:54 PM

But I don't want to go to SAIT, I wouldn't be challenged there and want to earn a degree.

But like I said, they could easily replace some of the more abstract, theoretical courses (read ENGG 407) with more practical courses. Shouldn't the aim of an engineering school be to produce better, more prepared graduates?
I agree, also, there are courses like control systems...I mean, alright, I understand that maybe some of us will have to at some point create a control system, but do I really need two courses on the matter? Do I look like a god damn Electrical Engineer? And the project course. My god...how they managed to savagely rape potentially the best course in my entire 4 year degree, I have no idea. Why do I need to write you a progress report when I haven't done anything on the project? Why do I have to put in more time writing up in my log book what I did in my team meeting than the meeting itself actually lasted. Honestly, I could go on for days with bullshit like this.

djayz
11-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Schooling is horrible. In first year business in the computers class me and a friend worked on an assignment together which we got called out on.
Their argument was that the assignments were very similar and my argument was that they are going to be exactly the same if they are done right.

Now I won't say they are stupid but I see that they had the power to sway the decision of whether it was cheating or not their way and they did.

I told them several times that we did work on part of the assignment together and regardless of if we did or didn't if we did the assignment right they would end up looking exactly the same.

The assignment was an excel spreadsheet were by the instructions given were to the point, answers were right or wrong no in betweens. How the fuck do you not get assignments that look very similar :guns:

Anyways they gave us both a failing mark on the assignment since we decided not to take it up higher as it was a waste of time trying to convince them of what happened. We received letters stating that this was an academic misconduct and that it would stay on our records for 7 years.

r0g3r
11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
for me I always have road maps for labs, otherwise it would take too long to do it aimlessly...especially when you find out you missed a couple of important data or your calculations in the lab wasn't right, if you look at a road map you find out what you need, so you go back to your TA and ask for help.

as for me I've never cheated on a test, because im too much of a fucking pussy, but seriously, when im writing a test I think that cheating just takes WAY too much time anyways, so whats the point? might as well just try to figure out whats going on and write down what you know to get partial marks. Also I can't think of a test you can really cheat on... all ENGG tests, the marks are given out for the work, not the answer. Each question is usually a page or more long, and its the process of reaching the answer that will get us marks.

I guess you can cheat on tests like multiple choice and true and false questions..

oh and my road maps I get from a friend that has helped me alot in my schooling in the past, I don't want to jeopardize his career just because I was too lazy to do an assignment.

even in ENGG 407 where I still didn't know how to program very well, I just did my best and handed in half completed assignments.

-roger.

kwjent
11-01-2008, 03:50 PM
thanks for all of your guys feedback. Ta personally I would rather take an f, but i guess you got to do to get things done. My prof in stats was telling me that he hands out an a and b version of the exam so he can fit a whole bunch of students in the room and he had 2 a tests with B answers. To me that is just stupid. take an f or withdraw.

googe
11-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Haha, I overheard some hiring discussions with a manager and a VP of a fortune 500 company

Manager: Well, this guy has a Master's in ___ from ____
VP: I don't give a shit about his toilet paper, I want to know what he can actually DO

flipstah
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Haha, I overheard some hiring discussions with a manager and a VP of a fortune 500 company

Manager: Well, this guy has a Master's in ___ from ____
VP: I don't give a shit about his toilet paper, I want to know what he can actually DO

Absolutely irrelevant but... How are you still posting!?

It says you're banned. :dunno:

Originally posted by djayz
Schooling is horrible. In first year business in the computers class me and a friend worked on an assignment together which we got called out on.
Their argument was that the assignments were very similar and my argument was that they are going to be exactly the same if they are done right.

Now I won't say they are stupid but I see that they had the power to sway the decision of whether it was cheating or not their way and they did.

I told them several times that we did work on part of the assignment together and regardless of if we did or didn't if we did the assignment right they would end up looking exactly the same.

The assignment was an excel spreadsheet were by the instructions given were to the point, answers were right or wrong no in betweens. How the fuck do you not get assignments that look very similar :guns:

Anyways they gave us both a failing mark on the assignment since we decided not to take it up higher as it was a waste of time trying to convince them of what happened. We received letters stating that this was an academic misconduct and that it would stay on our records for 7 years.

For this one, I would've fought them till my knuckles bled. If I didn't do anything wrong and the outcome is quite linear, then I would fight for my name. Especially with something as Excel.

Excel works on formulas and you can only plug it one way. There's multiple ways to solve the answer but only one way to plug in a formula. It either works or it doesn't.

It's MY money, MY mark, MY future. If I did it right and it somehow looked similar to my friend's and I did nothing wrong, then I'd challenge the hell out of it. What have you got to lose? Waste of time but at least you tried.

Now if it's a carbon copy and there's something that indicates it (name, some indication or whatever) then that's another matter.

sneek
11-01-2008, 09:50 PM
I am pretty sure they catch cheaters in CPSC by looking at who edited the document. I am not really familiar with the behind the scenes of Office, but I think that they can tell who opened/edited the file. I think that is how they caught cheaters in my class.

flipstah
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I am pretty sure they catch cheaters in CPSC by looking at who edited the document. I am not really familiar with the behind the scenes of Office, but I think that they can tell who opened/edited the file. I think that is how they caught cheaters in my class.

Yeah, you can tell via properties I think. It can show when it was first created so if you're just re-hashing somebody else's, it can tell you that it was made in Fall 2004 or something like that.

That's why you make a new document and just copy and paste.

Also use the Find function to search your source's name.

Kids today are so lazy. Even with the technology given to them!

If you're gonna cheat, do it right. You're going to hell anyways, so might as well go there with finesse.

Isaiah
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Absolutely irrelevant but... How are you still posting!?

It says you're banned. :dunno:

:rofl:

djayz
11-02-2008, 12:09 AM

For this one, I would've fought them till my knuckles bled. If I didn't do anything wrong and the outcome is quite linear, then I would fight for my name. Especially with something as Excel.

Excel works on formulas and you can only plug it one way. There's multiple ways to solve the answer but only one way to plug in a formula. It either works or it doesn't.

It's MY money, MY mark, MY future. If I did it right and it somehow looked similar to my friend's and I did nothing wrong, then I'd challenge the hell out of it. What have you got to lose? Waste of time but at least you tried.

Now if it's a carbon copy and there's something that indicates it (name, some indication or whatever) then that's another matter.

Judging by the attitude given to me by the person that interviewed me I knew right then and there that nothing was going to change. They gave us the opportunity to come in and give our side of the story which we did and this is a short version of how the interview went.

I walk in and they say do you know what you're here for?
Me: Yes you claim that another student and myself have a similar assignment.
Them: That's correct, now why do you think we think that?
Me: I'm not sure, you called me here. I know there is nothing wrong with my assignment.
Them: Well can you tell me how your assignment looks similar to another students.
Me: Yes and I don't see why it wouldn't, the instructions given were written such a way that there is only a right and wrong answer. How is it possible that you picked up my assignment and this other students but missed out on any of the other students that I worked with?
Them: Yours looked very similar to this other students.

Anyways it went back and forth for a little bit, I argued that the whole reason I take a class is to interact with other students and take input from them for when I need help instead of bothering the teacher. If I wanted to be anti-social I would teach myself or get a tutor and actually learn something useful haha.

But yah after this interview they said they would inform me of their decision at which point they said I could appeal that again. I asked if they had made their decision already and they looked at each other and answered you will see when you get a letter.

I would have fought it but my time is more valuable at this point than to argue with a bunch of idiots who do nothing but read a textbook out loud.

sneek
11-02-2008, 08:58 AM

Judging by the attitude given to me by the person that interviewed me I knew right then and there that nothing was going to change. They gave us the opportunity to come in and give our side of the story which we did and this is a short version of how the interview went.

I walk in and they say do you know what you're here for?
Me: Yes you claim that another student and myself have a similar assignment.
Them: That's correct, now why do you think we think that?
Me: I'm not sure, you called me here. I know there is nothing wrong with my assignment.
Them: Well can you tell me how your assignment looks similar to another students.
Me: Yes and I don't see why it wouldn't, the instructions given were written such a way that there is only a right and wrong answer. How is it possible that you picked up my assignment and this other students but missed out on any of the other students that I worked with?
Them: Yours looked very similar to this other students.

Anyways it went back and forth for a little bit, I argued that the whole reason I take a class is to interact with other students and take input from them for when I need help instead of bothering the teacher. If I wanted to be anti-social I would teach myself or get a tutor and actually learn something useful haha.

But yah after this interview they said they would inform me of their decision at which point they said I could appeal that again. I asked if they had made their decision already and they looked at each other and answered you will see when you get a letter.

I would have fought it but my time is more valuable at this point than to argue with a bunch of idiots who do nothing but read a textbook out loud.

I don know about that one I have seen many people do those assignments together, but what I think happened is you guys used the same file which is not allowed... If you two never shared the file I don't think you would have gotten caught. As I said before I think they can track the file and who has opens and edited it.

djayz
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
We didn't use the same computer which is weird. I used my desktop and a friend used my laptop which has the office suite registered under my name but he took the file home and saved it under his own office to show his because we knew that would be a problem.

Anyways it's our word against theirs and if they had any doubts that we cheated they aren't going to change their mind unless we have proof, which I have no clue how to prove.

googe
11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
We didn't use the same computer which is weird. I used my desktop and a friend used my laptop which has the office suite registered under my name but he took the file home and saved it under his own office to show his because we knew that would be a problem.

Anyways it's our word against theirs and if they had any doubts that we cheated they aren't going to change their mind unless we have proof, which I have no clue how to prove.

That's probably it. Appeal it, ask for the evidence used against you, then debunk that evidence. Even if he saved it as his afterwards, it will show you as the author unless he pasted it into a new document.

You could even go so far as to say he borrowed your laptop, so you're aware that your name shows up as author of his document, and you suspect that might be why they are under the misconception that you had a part in authoring it.

If you aren't leaving anything out, you really shouldn't give up on that. They'll come around eventually, or someone higher up will. You have a lot on the line by leaving that on your record.

arian_ma
11-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Lol at school. I can't wait to get my piece of paper that says I'm smart.

flipstah
11-02-2008, 05:47 PM

That's probably it. Appeal it, ask for the evidence used against you, then debunk that evidence. Even if he saved it as his afterwards, it will show you as the author unless he pasted it into a new document.

You could even go so far as to say he borrowed your laptop, so you're aware that your name shows up as author of his document, and you suspect that might be why they are under the misconception that you had a part in authoring it.

If you aren't leaving anything out, you really shouldn't give up on that. They'll come around eventually, or someone higher up will. You have a lot on the line by leaving that on your record.

How are you still typing!? :nut:

But totally agree with what you said. If you did nothing wrong, you gotta fight your name! Keep going till there's no tomorrow!

badatusrnames
11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
How are you still typing!? :nut:

Custom user title.

flipstah
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Custom user title.

For reals!? Sure fooled me.

And only me I guess. :(

XylathaneGTR
11-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Especially with something as Excel.

A good part of their suspicions may have been because of the formatting of the assignment...

Everybody seems to have their own little formatting style... I noticed this a lot when comparing my Enme337 and Engg233 assignments with those of my friends. Whether it was the placement of a table, the use of comments and what was said within those comments, how the data was organized in a spreadsheet, etc. Each person usually does all of these differently, and their method will likely be reflected in all of their assignments.

Same goes to Labs and roadmaps, too. A homie of mine has hooked me up with road maps to the labs in a few courses...and he and I have noticeably different styles to formatting, tables, definitions, etc. It would obviously be pretty noticeable to my TA if all of a sudden i adopted my friends formatting methods, which would likely be an indication that I just copied his lab writeup and substituted my numbers.

Everything above that I said could still be argued (perhaps the two people have similar formating methods...not surprising) but i'm just trying to help you understand where they may have been comming from and why they may have suspected you.

djayz
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
It's now way beyond fighting, they gave me 5 days after the receipt of the letter to send it in again and get a date/time to go see the same person again and that was over a 8 months ago now.

Honestly I would have fought it if I had the time to run back and forth to sait on their times but at that point I didn't and said forget it.

And yes there are assignments were everyone has a different style of formatting but this assignment was specific since it was a computers class. Columns had to be a certain size, colors of a table had to be a certain color, the only different thing that could've been done in this assignment was a formula answer but even for that there was only 2 ways that we could find and we both chose the simplier one which is a 50/50 chance.

It's a stupid academic misconduct and teachers should know by the way we talk and represent ourselves that we know better not to cheat. I mean if I came in to their interview room and just sat down and acted like a dumbass I would've given them the benefit of the doubt that I cheated. But both our representations were professional, we were well dressed and mannerful and we knew full well that cheating gets us no where.
I even put forward a comment saying that if we cheated our test marks will reflect the portion that we did not learn from this assignment and you can assess at that time whether we should receive a failing mark, but they had their mind made up, be it because they were prejudice or racist who knows.