PDA

View Full Version : Storing my Bike for winter.

reborn_euro
10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey guys I wanna put the bike away for winter, my neighbor told me I should get some kind of battery trickler?? so that the battery doesn't die on me from storage, anyone know were I can get one and im assuming its like a battery charger that plugs into a normal wall outlet?? Any info will be greatly appreciated like always.

Masked Bandit
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Generally speaking I remove the battery from the bike and keep it in the house for the winter. I'll throw the trickle charger (Canadian Tire) on it once or twice to keep the charge up.

ShermanEF9
10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
its best to just pull the battery off of your bike and put it in your basement... make sure you also get fuel stabalizer and throw it in a full tank and store it that way.

badatusrnames
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I've also heard something about getting oil squirted into your cylinders??

endo
10-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Not necessary on the new stuff.

1) Fill the tank full with 87 octane, not premium. Add fuel stabilizer. Run the bike for a few minutes to get stabilizer through the fuel system. At this point (if applicable) drain the float bowls on your carbs.

2) After you've run the bike and it's warm with the fuel system taken care of, do an oil change. Let it drain as long as possible to get all the crap out. Oil changes before storage are important.

3) Once 1 and 2 are done, it's battery time. If the battery is in a heated garage it can stay in the bike, but it can't be anywhere it can freeze. Charge it on a trickle charger (available from almost any shop, mine included, for $50-100) once a month.

4) Check your tire pressures

5) If possible, store the bike on stand so your tires aren't on the ground able to develop a flat spot.

6) Buy mods over the winter, attach bling :D

rony_espana
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by endo

1) Fill the tank full with 87 octane, not premium. Add fuel stabilizer. Run the bike for a few minutes to get stabilizer through the fuel system. At this point (if applicable) drain the float bowls on your carbs.

2) After you've run the bike and it's warm with the fuel system taken care of, do an oil change. Let it drain as long as possible to get all the crap out. Oil changes before storage are important.

3) Once 1 and 2 are done, it's battery time. If the battery is in a heated garage it can stay in the bike, but it can't be anywhere it can freeze. Charge it on a trickle charger (available from almost any shop, mine included, for $50-100) once a month.

5) If possible, store the bike on stand so your tires aren't on the ground able to develop a flat spot.

Can you explain why 87 octane should be used and not premium, just curious because I did that but with premium last winter.

Cowtown_Raider
10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Apparently, it's more stable and doesn't break down as quickly as the expensive stuff

Machi
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Where can I get decent bike stands? and how much do they cost roughly?

Thanks

endo
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Cowtown Raider got it. You can use higher octane stuff with stabilizer but it does break down quicker than low octane. Just an extra precaution you can take.

For stands, I can order front and rear stands for around $100 for the pair.

GwaiLo
11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by endo

How important is an oil change before storing it for winter? I just got an oil change and tune up about 1500 kms ago, should i get another oil change?

Supa Dexta
11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Its not important.. Change it in the spring.

MrSector9
11-04-2008, 08:35 PM
it is important.....

any contaminants in the oil can harm internal engine components.

Also I cannot believe that Endo didn't plug the Yuasa SmartShot for a battery tender :)

Supa Dexta
11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Contaminants such as what? And what "damage".... wives tale imo.

MrSector9
11-04-2008, 08:56 PM
combustion byproducts and condensation cause the oil to turn acidic.

Also the reason that they state you should change your oil every couple of months even if it is not used very much.

turbotrip
11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by GwaiLo

How important is an oil change before storing it for winter? I just got an oil change and tune up about 1500 kms ago, should i get another oil change?

not very important. ofcourse its better to change the oil before storing but it really doesnt make much of a difference.

Originally posted by MrSector9
Also the reason that they state you should change your oil every couple of months even if it is not used very much.

this is not true for synthetic oil

Supa Dexta
11-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't buy it, even for old oil theres nothing better for metal then bathing in it.. For the 5-6 months it may sit in there, (chances are it's not too bad anyway) I can't see you harming anything, fresh stuff in the spring and away you go. If I put new oil in it in the fall, I'd be temped to dump it in the spring anyways, so the only thing that gets hurt is your wallet. Fuel stabilizer and pull the battery, I like to get the wheels off the ground, but thats about it.

Theres bikes that sit for years in the back of a barn, pull them out and clean them up, tune them, and they last for years.. 5 month old oil isn't going to hurt anything, especially the good oils we use nowadays.

MrSector9
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
agreed a full synthetic oil does not break down overtime as regular/semi-syn does. However from what I have seen alot of owners do not run a full synthetic.

Believe what you must, The OP as well as the other poster asked for an answer and they got it, I can also see not believing everything you read however these are answers direct from technicians working on motorcycles on a daily basis.

3g4u
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Just finished prepping my bikes for winter. I love and hate this season. end of riding (bikes) start of riding (snowboards).:poosie:

Higgins
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey endo could I get a pair of those stands please

GQBalla
11-06-2008, 06:05 PM
i run full synthetic,

im almost about to store my bike,

i just filled up and left it in my garage.

so currently all i have left is to add fuel stabilizer, take out the battery.

hehe

Gi0
11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
i used to have this really old motorcycle that i didn't take care of. never did the regular winter prep, maybe added fuel stabilizer some winters, but never changed the oil. it lasted 5 seasons while i had it ( bike bike was about 9 years old). Was probably in good running condition for a couple more seasons, but traded it in anyways.

no real point to this post but i don't bother changing oil on my bikes for winter prep since I don't plan to keep them more than 4-5 years

MrSector9
11-08-2008, 01:43 PM
that is a good reason :)

crow_milo
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Any Canadian Tire has some on sale for $40 or so. I bought one last year and my battery was perfectly fine. Funny enough I forgot this year. So I am going to do that right now.

:)