PDA

View Full Version : Review: Surahi

lelalong
10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Surahi Indian Restaurant (beside Carriage House Inn)
8906 MacLeod Trail SE, Calgary, AB T2H 0M4
Telephone : 403-212-1324

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Having a week long course at the Carriage House Inn, I get the opportunity to try out the restaurants in that area. For the first time, I got to try out Surahi, which is hidden away behind Swiss Chalet. I've driven by the sign numerous times but never went in. I'm glad I got to try this place out!

The lunch buffet is a great chance to try out a variety of dishes although they usually contain commonly found dishes in other Indian buffets. It was about $15.

The buffet contained (i might forget a few dishes):
veggie pakora
basmati rice
another rice dish (saffron? it wasn't labelled but was flavoured)
curried pakora
daal
eggplant curry
aloo with green peppers
tandoori chicken
beef curry
another meat curry but I didn't try
butter chicken
variety of chutneys
papadams
rice pudding
mango pudding
jalebi

The restaurant was very clean and it was busy, which is a very good sign! The butter chicken consisted of cut up pieces of the tandoori chicken in sauce. Tasty but I've had better. The eggplant curry and daal were very good. Naan was brought to the table and it was very fresh. The dishes were replenished quickly since the whole restaurant was full. The rice pudding was tasty, thick with a slight hint of cardamon. The jalebi were a bit soggy but good anyhow.

I didn't stuff myself silly since I wanted to be conscious during the afternoon session of my course. There were so many choices which made it hard to hold back. I want to go back there for dinner sometime.

I'm a big fan of Skylark on 17th Ave SE, east of 52nd St but its always nice to find other places that are very good and offer a nice atmosphere to dine in.