PDA

View Full Version : EX Cop Cars

funkedelic2
10-29-2008, 05:26 PM
From my understanding, the Crown victorias that the police use are modified?

I am looking at buying a Crown Vic police interceptor. Was used in Red deer i guess, its white, and just looks like a ghost car now.

Has anybody owned an ex cop car before? This thing is a beast, and i think it would make a decent car to make it through the winter for now. It has high kms and im sure it was been driven HARD but i drove it and everything felt right on it.

Just scared that its going to be a pig on gas, but its gone down so maybe it wont be too bad. For $1000 seems to be a pretty decent deal.

rmk
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Don't be one of "those guys" who buys an ex ghost car.

funkedelic2
10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
haha dude its a cheap car! I need a winter beater and right now this is the best i have seen for what its worth

Weapon_R
10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Don't be one of "those guys" who buys an ex ghost car.

Middle aged Indian women? :D

mark4091
10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Go for it, they look pretty good, are comfortable and fast.

5000Audi
10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
i once asked a cop out in delta BC ( they were my landlords) i asked where i could buy one... both of them said dont buy them for these reasons

1) they are bagged the shit outta
2) just think of what kinda gross shit has been in the back seat (shit,puke,spit all kinda of things

so that two reasons made me not buy one!

funkedelic2
10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
i once asked a cop out in delta BC ( they were my landlords) i asked where i could buy one... both of them said dont buy them for these reasons

1) they are bagged the shit outta
2) just think of what kinda gross shit has been in the back seat (shit,puke,spit all kinda of things

so that two reasons made me not buy one!

hahaha yeah thats a good point too, thanks for the imput.

Mibz
10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
And do you REALLY want people around you doing 5 under the limit every time you drive?

Pete92SL
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
And do you REALLY want people around you doing 5 under the limit every time you drive?

That is true. I put my winter tires/wheels on the sport utility and this keeps going on. I hate it. Plus they look at me strange when they pass me.

Pete

signature7
10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
If you drove it and you're comfortable with it then buy it. Personally, I wouldn't, but I've driven worse. It's for the winter, it's a good deal, how many winters you planning on using it. I'd say 1000 is a good deal, any room to negotiate?

banned3x
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
i saw the same car and was gonnna get but you have dibs i guess

Tram Common
10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
The police cars in the Kootenays weren't modified at all...completely stock...just beat the shit out of.

Moe Man
10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
they maintain them well, dont worrie about having to fix shit.

mark4091
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
There's a good change it's been spit on, pissed in ect, but I'm sure they've sanitized it since then, just think about some of the stuff that happens in the sinks at sait.

For 1000 bucks it could be a good deal. If it's a 5.8 litre with bigger injectors and tuned for high speeds it will move pretty good

Joe-G
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

LOL, i hate people driving ex cop cars. It always makes them seem like the coppers :banghead: :banghead:. Although it can give you a sense of security???

badatusrnames
10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Middle aged Indian women? :D

You're thinking about ex-cabs.

funkedelic2
10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
The guy that bought it said it was highway patrol in Red deer. He has had it for 5 years and he drives it everyday and to Calgary often. He had an excursion and an explorer and this crown vic. Seemed like a really good guy. I got him down for $800 because he said he is just going to use whatever he gets for this car to buy tires for his new SUV.

Not like IM ever going to sit in the backseat anyway lol, but after this long its not like it hasnt been cleaned enough so there are no traces of whatever might have happened back there at one point.

If i buy it ill keep it for as many winters as i can get out of it, or i could just sell it off after winter.

corsvette
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
They are reliable cars and tough as nails!You get alot of respect driving down the road.

Godfuader
10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
My buddys dad had the Caprice Interceptor years ago. Man, you go down deerfoot and all you see is people slamming on their breaks, and driving thru residential you have everyone furiously reaching for the seatbelt. Best part is when they drive by ever so cautiously, just to see a couple of kids with Slurpees, then slam on the gas. :rofl:

zieg
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Knew a guy who had an impala back in the day, said it was an ex cop car and all that.. interceptor engine.. Really shitty flat black paint job.. open the door and the jamb was yellow. ex taxi.

cyrusli
10-29-2008, 07:38 PM
The Crown Vics are modified, but when they sell them or retire them, they take out the good stuff. It still has kick to it, but nothing close to what they were.

TomcoPDR
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by cyrusli
The Crown Vics are modified, but when they sell them or retire them, they take out the good stuff. It still has kick to it, but nothing close to what they were. :werd:

corsvette
10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Lots of the impalas wound up as cabs,the interceptor model had the lt-1 engine,same as camaro z28 and corvette.I had a lt-1 powered impala,i miss it:(

Stealth22
10-29-2008, 09:07 PM
The Police Interceptors are "modified" compared to civilian/taxi models..Ford puts a bigger engine and stuff in there...

The cops drive the shit out of these things, but they are well maintained. All of the police gear is obviously taken out..if you're worried about what's been in the back seat, you can ask the seller if the police department he bought it from sanitized it before selling it off..

And it is probably cool to see people get scared out of their wits when they see you :thumbsup:

I guess just make sure if you give anyone a ride, you tell them its an ex-cop car, so they may want to think twice before getting in the back :rofl:

What model year is it?

gofastmerc
10-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I had a 93 Mustang LX interceptor from the red deer area back in the day. It was a great car, even though it had 250+ K on it, it ran awesome, never burnt oil, had hardly any rattles. which kinda a miracle for any Ford, never mind a ex cop car.

I would buy another in a heart beat.

Pic related.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/gofastmerc/93 LX.jpg

badatusrnames
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
I had a 93 Mustang LX interceptor from the red deer area back in the day. It was a great car, even though it had 250+ K on it, it ran awesome, never burnt oil, had hardly any rattles. which kinda a miracle for any Ford, never mind a ex cop car.

I would buy another in a heart beat.

Pic related.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/gofastmerc/93 LX.jpg

Fixed.

rc2002
10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Those engines are probably quite tired. They run them all day long without shutting the engine off and they're well driven. The mileage will certainly take it's toll.

I'd stay away. There's a reason they're so cheap.

Mixalot27
10-29-2008, 10:52 PM
:werd: I didn't read all the posts in this thread so my bad if I'm saying the same shit that other ppl said. But imo the only reason to buy this is if you are getting a smoking deal. It might be cool, having fun fucking with people, making them think your the police. But in the end its a high km, American made car which has been driven the shit out of, a recipe for disaster. I have never owned an American vehicle that has went over 250k without major electrical, engine or transmission problems. But then again for $1000 I guess you can't go too wrong, specially if you are mechanical and can fix some of the inevitable problems on your own.

Destinova403
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
:werd: I didn't read all the posts in this thread so my bad if I'm saying the same shit that other ppl said. But imo the only reason to buy this is if you are getting a smoking deal. It might be cool, having fun fucking with people, making them think your the police. But in the end its a high km, American made car which has been driven the shit out of, a recipe for disaster. I have never owned an American vehicle that has went over 250k without major electrical, engine or transmission problems. But then again for $1000 I guess you can't go too wrong, specially if you are mechanical and can fix some of the inevitable problems on your own.

the Crown Vics are TANKS

those cars go through hell and back and run fine...
i know someone who bought an ex taxi at 300k and he did nothing to it besides maintenance and ran it for another 150 before it needed anything major.

if you like it and its your best option... buy it... if not... buy something else.

black13
10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Fuck I'd get it. I always wondered about getting one just to fuck with people and maybe to get the slow people out of my way in the high way.

sneek
10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd take it if I was you. If everything on it is in fine working condition, it is a pretty cheap beater. Plus it will be fun to scare people. Although be aware that buying a bagged on American car, or any car for that matter could be like buying a time bomb...but worst comes to worst you are out 1000 bones...but you might be able to get 300 back from the kidney foundation. So $700 is the most you can really lose..I think it is worth it..

jeremyn
10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
i want one now!

89s1
10-30-2008, 12:01 AM
I feel it is important that I point out that the police interceptor crown vics did not get a "5.8" or any bigger engine than the regular crown vics.

its a 4.6L v8. it is modified slightly for horsepower, but overall I woiuldn't be suprised if they aren't as quick as their civilian counterparts to be perfectly honest. :dunno:

They have heavier duty brakes, alternator and trans as well as an oil cooler and a few other things but the rear ends are geared taller for highway pursuits....

2EFNFAST
10-30-2008, 12:05 AM
The Crown Vics are modified, but when they sell them or retire them, they take out the good stuff. It still has kick to it, but nothing close to what they were.

They usually only have upgraded cooling and brakes - it's not like Ford puts in super secret engines in them with 10000hp.

bobby_lu
10-30-2008, 12:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

There are few notable differences between the Police Interceptor and standard Crown Victoria. Both cars use the same 4.6L 2V SOHC V8 Ford Modular engine and Ford 4-speed automatic transmission.

The Police Interceptor is equipped with an external oil-to-coolant heat exchanger to reduce engine oil temperatures, allowing the vehicles to idle for extended lengths of time without overheating. The engine oil coolers are notorious for seeping oil from the o-ring seals after extensive use.

The Police Interceptor also has a calibrated 140 mph (225 km/h) speedometer.

The 2006–present Police Interceptors equipped with a 3.55:1 rear axle ratio from the factory are electronically limited to 120 mph (193 km/h) due to the lower driveline-critical vehicle speed, while the Police Interceptors equipped with a 3.27:1 rear axle ratio have generally been limited to approximately 130 mph (209 km/h). This compares to 110 mph (177 km/h) for the "civilian" model[1].

Ford used an aluminum metal matrix composite driveshaft for the 1993-2005 Police Interceptors as a measure to allow safe operation at over 130 mph (209 km/h), but it was more expensive than the regular aluminum driveshafts. Ford re-introduced the 3.55:1 rear axle ratio in the 2006 model year Police Interceptors, and set the speed limiter at 120 mph (193 km/h) to reduce the risk of driveline failure.

Another difference is Ford's "severe duty" shock absorbers that offer a stiffer ride than the standard Crown Victoria. They also have black steel wheels with stainless steel or chromed plastic hubcaps.

Features that are unique to the Police Interceptor engine calibration are a slightly higher idle speed (approximately 40 rpm higher) and minor changes in the emissions settings. The computer is tuned for more aggressive transmission shift points, and the transmission itself is built for firmer and harder shifts. Police Interceptors also have a reinforced frame and body mounts, an aluminum driveshaft (aluminum metal matrix composite for the 1999-early 2001 model years) and an optional limited slip rear differential. The front seats have a steel "stab plate" built into the back so that a suspect being transported in the back seat cannot stab the officers in the front seat with a knife or other sharp object. All Police Interceptors also come with T-409 stainless steel dual exhaust systems without resonators. Standard Crown Victorias come with a stainless steel single exhaust system, while the Handling and Performance Package and LX Sport equipped Crown Victorias have the same exhaust system as the Police Interceptor with the resonators. The resonators further reduce noise, vibration, and harshness without adding any restriction to the exhaust system. Police Interceptors have higher rate coil springs, approximately 0.8 inches (20.3 mm) of additional ground clearance, and thinner rear anti-roll bars than the LX Sport or Handling and Performance Package Crown Victorias; the base Crown Victoria does not have a rear anti-roll bar. Also, most Police Interceptors have a break in the front "bench seat" despite having the shifter on the steering column. This gap between seats is generally filled by a console holding radios, controls for emergency equipment, and often a laptop computer used as a mobile data terminal (MDT).

On 2004 and newer models, P71's have a 200 amp (A) alternator and a 78 ampere-hour (Ah) battery.

Ford also offers trunk packages for equipment storage (see below), and as of 2005, has added a fire suppression system to the Police Interceptor.

The bulk of police car modifications, such as installation of emergency lights, sirens, passenger seat dividers and plastic rear bench seats, are offered as aftermarket modifications by third parties.

Zero102
10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
One of my friends bought an ex-cop car in BC. IIRC it was a 96 crown vic, but don't hold me to the year. He got it for $1000 which sounds like it is the going rate. Had 240k on it and ran fine for about 1 year. After that he started having electrical issues all over the place. Looks like when they pulled their stuff out they cut and ripped apart the wiring harnesses all over the car. After another few months it started burning oil BAD when coming up to a light (looked like valve seales/guides, it was def. top end not bottom end). Also, it was a SERIOUS pig on gas, ~22mpg (US) on the highway and less than 15 around town. It was very quick on the highway for a 4000lb car, but the transmission was kicking hard every time it shifted.

Also, I don't know if this is standard to modify the center of gravity or anything, but we found metal plates and cement in the bottom of the fenders and quarter panels. Probably a few hundred pounds worth.

For $1000 its a fun car, and yes they are very well maintained while the police own them, but it seems to be hit and miss when they take all their equipment out of hte car. Don't expect it to be even remotely cheap on gas, but they do move pretty good.

cyrusli
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Also, I don't know if this is standard to modify the center of gravity or anything, but we found metal plates and cement in the bottom of the fenders and quarter panels. Probably a few hundred pounds worth.

yeah, they add weight and tweak the centre of gravity so they can take corners better. Notice cop cars generally stay on all four unless they hit a curb? =P

EM1FTW
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
i'd get it.

might as well double the mileage on the odometer though.
those cars spend SO much time sitting at idle

cyrusli
10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by EM1FTW
i'd get it.

might as well double the mileage on the odometer though.
those cars spend SO much time sitting at idle

yeah no kidding eh? They can sit at timmy hoes for their break and leave their cars on, i don't even think they turn their cars off when they fuel up.

Moe Man
10-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

DUDE you sound like an americian, shut up you dont know shit. crown vics will out run any car out there hands down.

BTW: how many km does this vic have, cop car dont usually have many km on them when they retire. if it has under 300km then it is still worth the buy. dont listen to MixALOT27 the doesnt seem to know ALOT thats for sure

Ferio_vti
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM

i don't even think they turn their cars off when they fuel up.

Right, cuz police cars won't ignite in a ball of fire.

Neil4Speed
10-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

DUDE you sound like an americian, shut up you dont know shit. crown vics will out run any car out there hands down.

BTW: how many km does this vic have, cop car dont usually have many km on them when they retire. if it has under 300km then it is still worth the buy. dont listen to MixALOT27 the doesnt seem to know ALOT thats for sure

On a forum full of Honda Fanboys I knew we have Crown Vic Fanboy out there.

shin0bi
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
$1000 does seem to be the going rate.
I almost bought an old police spec Caprice with an LT1 corvette engine.
For 1000 bucks, the cylender block is almost worth that much.

I'd say go for it. Don't expect the world out of it, but like most others mentioned, it's been properly maintained, and that should help to offset some of the wear and tear of the higher milage.

Kona9
10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
I was leaving the Rusty Cage earlier this year (Feb-ish) and saw an ex ghost car (crown vic) with the driver in it.

I went over and spoke with the guy. Cool EI guy. He bought it from Van as an ex cop car. He had a friend put back on the front Push Bar and the Pillar Spot lights. For wheels he was rolling a black set of wires (14's I believe) and he had a little 8 switch juice set up in it.

Pretty funny seeing a car that still looks like a ghost car with hydros, push bar, and spot lights.

Cheap and fun project for the guy.

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd do it for 800-1000 bucks, why not?

2EFNFAST
10-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I'd do it for 800-1000 bucks, why not?

AIDs in the backseat?

JRSC00LUDE
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
^

You're not for cereal are you? :rofl:

Besides, any cop cars I've seen or been in (friends are cops, not a hoodlum haha) have all had plastic back seats, you do realize that right?

Mibz
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
any cop cars I've seen or been in (friends are cops, not a hoodlum haha) have all had plastic back seats They're deep too. They had me sit in the back with my legs out the door and it was uncomfortable as fuck.

Masked Bandit
10-30-2008, 12:50 PM
As long as it runs for now, I don't think you can go wrong. Look at the other junk out there for $1000. Do you think any of that stuff has received the comprehensive maintenance this thing has? Not likely. It wouldn't surprise me if you could pull another 100,000 km out of it easy.

benyl
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
So much ignorance in this thread.

Years ago, my mom bought an Impala from the police auction. I think the car was $600. That thing ran like a tank for 10 years after with just oil changes. We sold it before anything broke.

They over-maintain those vehicles. Getting any used vehicle that was once used by a governmental agency is never a bad buy. They have a lot of kms, but most of the shit that fails has been replaced already.

$800 is cheap for a winter beater.

TKRIS
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I've been thinking of buying an ex cop car as well.
The vast majority of my driving is on the #2, and I'm incredibly, and I mean incredibly, fed up with fucking retards who can't maintain speed, pass people going .5km/h faster, just drive in the fast lane regardless of what's going on around them, etc.

I saw some fucking bitch steering with her knee, talking to her passenger, and fucking TEXTING the other day. I hope she dies a slow and painful death.

In any event, I figure if I had an ex cop car, people would be out of my fucking way by the time they realized I wasnt' a cop. If I could get people around me to pay attention to what they're fucking doing, I'd have no problems paying more for gas, or buying a new $1,000 every year for that matter.

Anyone know of any good places to find these cars?

Masked Bandit
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I'VE GOT IT!

Everyone goes out and buys an ex-cop car....then a Beyond cruise up and down Deerfoot to watch the traffic crawl!

topmade
10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
You can't go wrong for $800, just buy the damned thing and drive very sparatically like speed right up to someone and slow down and watch everyone slam on their brakes.

cyrusli
10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I'VE GOT IT!

Everyone goes out and buys an ex-cop car....then a Beyond cruise up and down Deerfoot to watch the traffic crawl!

might as well stop on the side of the ride with them and hold a hair dryer and see how people respond. =)

D911
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM

might as well stop on the side of the ride with them and hold a hair dryer and see how people respond. =)

nah, park on the side of the road, take out your trusty Camera, mount on a large tripod and take pictures of the scenery. . . near your car.

Wear a reflective vest for safety?

Stealth22
10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by D911

nah, park on the side of the road, take out your trusty Camera, mount on a large tripod and take pictures of the scenery. . . near your car.

Wear a reflective vest for safety? :rofl:

Casa
10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
hahahaha you don't even know how much i want one of these
so bad
you can control traffic :rofl:

Originally posted by TKRIS

auctions! they're easy to get.

funkedelic2
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
So i got it, figured that i couldnt go wrong with how much it was. The car is pretty quick for what it is! The body is in good shape, no visible dents on it, just a cracked bumper on the front.

I brought it home, took off the ugly chrome hub caps and the ugly seat covers on the front.

Good news is that the guy replaced the backseat when he got the car and got it proffesionally cleaned as well before he put his kids in it, on top of the sanitizing they do before they are sold at auctions.

Ill post a picture soon

Casa
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM
good work, i'm excited to see pictures ! ^

Graham_A_M
10-31-2008, 10:41 PM
While I'm not going to read through the 3 pages, I'll state what makes a cop car, what it is.

I used to be the Fleet manager for Ambassador Limo, which is owned by Checker cabs, so I've seen the difference between the typical (non-Police interceptor) Crown vics, as opposed to the Police edition. The mods are

- 12-13" Brakes (depending on year)
-Much beefier cooling system, you'll see what I mean when you pop the hood, its almost out of something you'd see from a Nascar race car.
- Different ECU, in conjunction to differently ground cams. The result is 240hp, rather then the 200 (or so) HP from a non-cop car. (No they do not use corvette engines:rolleyes: )
- Much stiffer suspension so the car can handle like it should, rather then some bouncy Senior citizen mobile. This means the anti-sway bar(s) and spring set ups are different.
- No options. The car will have power windows and A/C, and perhaps power locks too. Every single car is optioned as cheaply as possibly to reduce the cost to the public. Thats why they come with the black (not chrome) grills, the stamped steel wheels, the absolute base model radio (etc etc). However PW and A/C are pretty much a requirement for civic duty, those are pretty much the only two options you'll consistantly find.

Yes the cars are driven hard, but not to a level that the cars can't take, and they are very very well maintained, unlike cabs.

I hope that helps.
-Cheers.

Originally posted by TKRIS

I believe their wholesale outlet is Regal Auctions. You can call and ask regardless. they typically get rid of the cars around 60-85k kms.

If you take 61st ave (thats the one directly east of Chinook, that runs right past Chinook LRT)
Just stay on it, past center street, after about 1 block, you'll pass this really shitty bar/pub to your right, then see a body shop with a bunch of ex-cop cars, about a couple hundred feet more east-ward. They seem to snatch them up then re-sell them.

Check there, that would be another good place to look

Stealth22
11-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
So i got it, figured that i couldnt go wrong with how much it was. The car is pretty quick for what it is! The body is in good shape, no visible dents on it, just a cracked bumper on the front.

I brought it home, took off the ugly chrome hub caps and the ugly seat covers on the front.

Good news is that the guy replaced the backseat when he got the car and got it proffesionally cleaned as well before he put his kids in it, on top of the sanitizing they do before they are sold at auctions.

Ill post a picture soon

Nice! As long as the back seat was replaced/cleaned, you can't go wrong! :D

Looking forward to those pictures! :thumbsup:

gofastmerc
11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I was at Regal last week, I saw two Crown Vics go though. They had 150ish kms, they wanted 4K for one, 5K for the other.

funkedelic2
11-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
I was at Regal last week, I saw two Crown Vics go though. They had 150ish kms, they wanted 4K for one, 5K for the other.

holy shit thats a lot, i guess i got a good deal. Mine has a little more kms and its a 98 but looks just like one of the newer ones and i paid a less than $1,000

gofastmerc
11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
These were pretty new. I can't be %100 sure, but I think they were 2005's? Maybe 04's.

ZorroAMG
11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
So you bought a RWD for a winter beater?

Seems silly.

funkedelic2
11-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
So you bought a RWD for a winter beater?

Seems silly.

RWD doesn't mean it won't handle well in the winter. The car has almost brand new tires and im sure it won't be ideal to drive in the winter but the cops and taxis seem to manage just fine. Its a point a to b sort of car. I like it because its big, fast, has plenty of room and seems like its going to be pretty reliable in the winter.

Thats usually hard to find at $1000

ZorroAMG
11-01-2008, 06:11 PM
True....just not really known for their winter ability.

Price was right though, so if you're happy, congrats!

n1zm0
11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
do cops throw on winter tires?,
cause i remember shoveling the snow one day and saw a Crown Vic barrel down the 3/4 of a foot high packed snow road at about 80km/h , sirens and lights going, slowed down in an insanely short distance and take off around the corner without fishtailing, almost invincible to snow and ice like how fast the semi truck drivers do in winter :nut:

Graham_A_M
11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
^No they use Goodyear Eagle GT's year round. How? I dont know. I sported a set on my S10, and I dont know how they can do it and not get into countless accidents. :nut:
They're not bad winter tires by any means, but on a RWD car, to do what they do in the winter never ceases to astound me.

And another thing I forgot about Police Interceptor editions, is they use a 3:73 rear end, rather then the 3:55 rear end that is stock on normal crown vics. Either its the 3:55 stock or the 3:40, I forget. :dunno:

Stealth22
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
do cops throw on winter tires?,
cause i remember shoveling the snow one day and saw a Crown Vic barrel down the 3/4 of a foot high packed snow road at about 80km/h , sirens and lights going, slowed down in an insanely short distance and take off around the corner without fishtailing, almost invincible to snow and ice like how fast the semi truck drivers do in winter :nut:

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^No they use Goodyear Eagle GT's year round. How? I dont know. I sported a set on my S10, and I dont know how they can do it and not get into countless accidents. :nut:
Well, cops are trained to drive at high speeds in pursuits or responding to calls, so I assume they can handle a car just a tad better than us in winter conditions...

Jynx
11-02-2008, 02:55 AM
For $800 as long as its reliable your set. Nothing else matteers. Get it!!

VetteRacin
11-02-2008, 04:24 AM
dont know about city cops but small town cops use winter tires so i would amagine they do too

TKRIS
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Cool. I might have to start putting a bit of money aside and get one of these. Of course, I'll have to sell my truck first to make room.

I'm not sure why some people seem to think RWD is so hard to drive in the winter. It's different, yes, but FWD really isn't that much better (driver skill aside).
Personally, I'd rather drive a V8 RWD sedan than my Sunflower in the winter. I'm more comfortable with RWDs, and that's far more important than the marginal advantages that FWDs have in icy conditions.