PDA

View Full Version : UofC help

girlRACER
09-20-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm graduating next year (winter semester). What procedure do I need to do in order to graduate? I heard I need to fill out some forms. I'm quite confused with the dates as well. I know you can convocate at different times. What if I wanted to continue to do graduate studies the following semester? Would I need to convocate earlier??

Also, how does the graduation with distinction work?? Do I have to apply for that or will it automatically be given to me. Is it based on all 4 years of school or just the last 2 years.

Another fear is that I'll be missing 1 course and won't be able to graduate. I've been seeing undergraduate advisors as well as using the degree navigator but those are no guarantees.

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts - Major in Religious Studies if that helps to answer some of my questions.

A very confused person :confused:

Altezza
09-21-2003, 01:36 AM
IIRC, there was a form that needed to be filled out. Easiest place to find out would be the Registrar or their website. After filling out the form, I suggest you go see your department/faculty office to confirm that you meet all the requirements for convocation. Convocation is not an automatic process - convocation applicants are reviewed by the department AND the faculty on an individual-by-individual basis. Don't miss the application deadlines or else you'll have to wait until the next go-round.

Graduating with distinction doesn't even show up on your degree which really sucks. If you really wanted distinction, just print up the words "with distinction" on a pink piece of paper and put it in with your degree...voila, you have distinction. That tiny pink piece of paper is all that prompts the reader to say "with distinction" after saying your name.

girlRACER
09-21-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the help Altezza :thumbsup:

Do you know approximately what month the deadlines are?? :dunno: Also, is there a fee?

Altezza
09-21-2003, 01:55 AM
hmmm...I can't remember, but for some reason I think I remember applying near the end of February for June convocation. Unless it's really important to you or your family, I wouldn't go to convocation...waste of time, IMO. If you do go, be sure to tell them you're going to convocation or else your name won't apprear on the program nor will there be a degree for you to pick up, and no chair for you to sit in.

There wasn't a fee when I applied...however, that's a good idea for the Univ to make some extra cash.

AquamosH
09-21-2003, 02:00 AM
I heard there was a fee for renting the gown or something along those lines. About $200.

kenny
09-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Just fill out one of these:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/pdf/Ap4deg.pdf

and hand it back to the registrars office before March 1. When the deadline nears, they will have a box at the registrars office so you don't need to line up to give it to them.

Originally posted by AquamosH
I heard there was a fee for renting the gown or something along those lines. About $200.

Gown rental was $39 or something liek that. Oh, and if you wanna keep the gown, just don't return it. They don't even check off names when you return it haha. Great if you want to keep it for photo opportunities :)

szw
09-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Oh, and if you wanna keep the gown, just don't return it. They don't even check off names when you return it haha. Great if you want to keep it for photo opportunities :)

Or kinky stuff, when you are sick of the schoolgirl outfits.

eur0
09-22-2003, 12:13 AM
there a bunch of info in the calender