PDA

View Full Version : neutral stops

MikeAg
10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
I got an '87 Corolla and it shakes when im in drive and holding the brake in. The solution is putting the car into neutral, but does placing the car into neutral and drive constantly ruin the transmission?

AE92_TreunoSC
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Nope, it just leaves you more vulnerable to being in an accident, like being rear ended, when you have the ability to scoot forward.

That said, I do it, after the car behind be comes to a complete stop, my old car shakes a bit to in gear due to a worn engine mount.

MikeAg
10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
alright thanks

Masked Bandit
10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
If your car is having those kinds of problems, I wouldn't worry about the miniscule wear of popping the tranny in and out of gear.

shin0bi
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
If your car is having those kinds of problems, I wouldn't worry about the miniscule wear of popping the tranny in and out of gear.

Agreed, I'd be getting that brake issue looked at. Your tranny will be fine if you pop it into neutral. I do it. I find I can stop marginally faster. And its better than wearing out your brakes when you've got roads like John Laurie with all the dips...

rp_guy
10-30-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah, most likely a worn engine mount that lets the engine move too much at idle. just don't pop it into neutral while you're moving and then back into drive while still moving (or at least try not to).. the tranny has to match the revs and wheel speed if that's the case and it certainly doesn't rev match