PDA

View Full Version : Totalled my car....need advice from you guys

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I got 4 demerits from the cop for "following too close". If I get these 4 demerits convicted, i'm hooped, that means 8 demerits and my license is suspended for like 3 months I believe.

I CAN'T have that happen.

What can I do? My court date is December 01....could I come in tomorrow and maybe get it reduced to 3 demerits?

What can I do and what should I do?

Please help guys. Thanks.

adidas
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Go in tomorrow and speak with the Justice of Peace and you can get it reduced to 3 or maybe even 2 demerits!

Best of luck! and no more "following too close" tickets as its for your own safety!

Oldskool
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
my thoughts,

1)call Pointts and have them find a way to reduce the ticket,

2)If you have had you licence for over a year, take your advanced road test, bumping your allowable demerits to 14

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Go in tomorrow and speak with the Justice of Peace and you can get it reduced to 3 or maybe even 2 demerits!

Best of luck! and no more "following too close" tickets as its for your own safety!

I actually wasn't following too close. I don't want to get into it, but I did rear end the guy. Let's just say I wasn't following too close. Anyway, the officer wasn't even a witness to the scene. I don't get how he can issue such a ticket? Fuck man.

So can you tell me how I go about getting this dicket reduced. Do I have to hire a lawyer or anything or will they just call me up and I will have to go up to the front and explain what happened.

What happens during these proceedings?

colinxx235
10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

I actually wasn't following too close. I don't want to get into it, but I did rear end the guy. Let's just say I wasn't following too close. Anyway, the officer wasn't even a witness to the scene. I don't get how he can issue such a ticket? Fuck man.

Because obviously you were doing something wrong... be happy he didn't slap you with careless driving, speeding etc etc...

kwjent
10-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Get points or I use A traffic ticket defense. They always help me out and I have a 100 percent clean record. Pay for someone to take care of it, especially if you are young it will be cheaper in the long run.

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
hey fellas, how do I go about doing this?? Do I plead Not guilty to those cashiers or plead guilty or what? Not sure how I go about doing this. I don't want to procrastinate so I want to get this cleared up right away, then I can buy a beater so I can get through Calgary's hellish winter.

Anyway, elaborate a little bit more guys. Or any other advice is generally appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

97'Scort
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by adidas

I think you mean Crown Prosecutor...a justice of the peace will do fuck all unless you want to change your name or get married.

88jbody
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
talk to the CP see if they will do anything. if not go to your court day plead innocent they will give you a date to come back, hire points or similar to defend you in court.

TACO.VIDAL
10-30-2008, 08:02 PM
if you totalled your car by rear ending someone, you must have been going pretty fast... and doin something wrong.

I got 4 demerits from the cop for "following too close". If I get these 4 demerits convicted, i'm hooped, that means 8 demerits and my license is suspended for like 3 months I believe.

What can I do? My court date is December 01....could I come in tomorrow and maybe get it reduced to 3 demerits?

So can you tell me how I go about getting this dicket reduced. Do I have to hire a lawyer or anything or will they just call me up and I will have to go up to the front and explain what happened.

What happens during these proceedings?

Eleanor
10-30-2008, 08:42 PM
You're an idiot. You hit someone from behind, you were following too close. End of story.

colinxx235
10-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
You're an idiot. You hit someone from behind, you were following too close. End of story.

<3 cole's notes haha, thats a blunt engg mind for you =) op sounds like a hot doggin moron who deserved more then following close, a quick search of recent posts merely reinforces my opinion :P

Tik-Tok
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM

I would have put it more politely, but yeah, what he said.

If you weren't too close, you wouldn't have rear ended them, unless you were distracted by something, in which case, you would have gotten a careless driving ticket.

For the safety of every around you, please no more purple nurples in the vehicle.

Eleanor
10-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I would have put it more politely
Yeah, but you're a nice guy.

Wehbeast
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Wait 3 weeks ish after you get yoru ticket, if you go tomorrow theyll tell ur tickets not in and to wait a couple weeks

Supa Dexta
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM

Yeah, but you're a nice guy.

And you're not even a guy.:rofl:

khtm
10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Eleanor has a mean vagina. :poosie:

NewLextasy
10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I got 4 demerits from the cop for &quot;following too close&quot;. If I get these 4 demerits convicted, i'm hooped, that means 8 demerits and my license is suspended for like 3 months I believe.

You Don't get your license suspended unless u get 15 demerits, not 8 and the first time is a 1 month suspension then 3 then 6 then 1 year.

I have gone through 1 month and 3 months and im sitting at 13 demerits, so trust me i know . I can't even get one more ticket or im toast for 6 months.

adam c
10-30-2008, 09:55 PM
GDL is 8 demerits

max_boost
10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
^^^

OP has a GDL?:dunno:

edit, adam_c beat me lol

93accord
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
^^ how many of those points is the Gallardo to blame for??:rofl:

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by adam c
GDL is 8 demerits

yes I have GDL. Fuuuck, i have to fight this. bus = I cry and end my life.

So can i even fight it tomorrow, and get it reduced RIGHT away. I was planning on buying a beater in the next couple days.

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:01 PM

Yeah I don't know what happened. I had a terrible week and this culminated it I guess. Cant' really explain it. I obvs. fucked up, I just dont tend to follow to close.

But yeah, i know i'm an idiot. if i'm going to have to take the bus i'm probably goint to have to cry.

Isaiah
10-30-2008, 10:03 PM
if i'm going to have to take the bus i'm probably goint to have to cry.

wigga plz!

topmade
10-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't think you could get demerits reduced from the CP for a following too close ticket because it's a set amount. For speeding tickets they can because they will reduce the payment amount that will automatically take off one less demerit.

Call points and ask, that would be the place to start.

BTW: Cops always issue a following to close ticket for rear ends when it is reported even if no cop came to the scene.

NewLextasy
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM
GDL ouch

And no tickets in the Gallardo yet :D

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Have you taken a defensive driving course recently? If not, take it and it will help you get 3 points off your current points. You can take the course and exam all ONLINE. It'll take you roughly a whole day to do so because you are required to do 8 hours before you do an exam. They let you take 3 exams I believe if you happen to fail the first 2 exams. It cost roughly $100-$200.

Given that you rear ended the guy, there's pretty much no way to fight the ticket completely. You can probably get the demerits down to 3 or even 2 demerits like what others have told you. Just wait for your court date and show up super early so you can bargain with the crown. They are usually pretty nice guys actually.

Lastly, if you really want, you can get a quote from POINTTS and get them to try and fight the ticket. The quote is free so just come in with your ticket. Chances are they will probably charge you anywhere from $100-$400 for this case but they don't even guarantee that you'll be off the hook. You still have to pay whatever fine the crown prosecutor gives you and chances are you'll still probably end up with 2 demerits at least.

Now it all depends where you want to spend your money on. Regardless you're pretty fucked because EVERYTHING will cost you money.

I hope you learned your lesson. :facepalm: :facepalm:

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Have you taken a defensive driving course recently? If not, take it and it will help you get 3 points off your current points. You can take the course and exam all ONLINE. It'll take you roughly a whole day to do so because you are required to do 8 hours before you do an exam. They let you take 3 exams I believe if you happen to fail the first 2 exams. It cost roughly $100-$200.

Given that you rear ended the guy, there's pretty much no way to fight the ticket completely. You can probably get the demerits down to 3 or even 2 demerits like what others have told you. Just wait for your court date and show up super early so you can bargain with the crown. They are usually pretty nice guys actually.

Lastly, if you really want, you can get a quote from POINTTS and get them to try and fight the ticket. The quote is free so just come in with your ticket. Chances are they will probably charge you anywhere from $100-$400 for this case but they don't even guarantee that you'll be off the hook. You still have to pay whatever fine the crown prosecutor gives you and chances are you'll still probably end up with 2 demerits at least.

Now it all depends where you want to spend your money on. Regardless you're pretty fucked because EVERYTHING will cost you money.

I hope you learned your lesson. :facepalm: :facepalm:

So what you're saying is I can't show up tomorrow (which is not my court date) and try to get it down to at least 3 demerits? Is that or for sure thing or just hearsay?

and if i take that online course TOMORROW.....will i get the points off right away?? like the second i'm finished, it's off.

that sounds easier, cheaper, and better in the long run.

G-ZUS
10-30-2008, 10:19 PM

So what you're saying is I can't show up tomorrow (which is not my court date) and try to get it down to at least 3 demerits? Is that or for sure thing or just hearsay?

and if i take that online course TOMORROW.....will i get the points off right away?? like the second i'm finished, it's off.

Originally posted by Wehbeast
Wait 3 weeks ish after you get your ticket, if you go tomorrow they will tell you that your ticket is not in yet and to wait a couple weeks

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

oh my fucking god!!!!

this is fucking hell. I'm going to try though at least.....

fuck this was a bad time to be out of a job and a student to boot.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Oh and it's not 8 or more, it's 8 and you're fucked I take it.

fuuuuck, this is not good.

Then again, technically, I don't have demerits on my account because i am not guilty. So i could drive for a month, then go to court in 3 weeks, fight it, and i'm good?

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:28 PM

That my friend is a for sure thing. I've shown up to court before a couple of days before my court appearance and all they tell me is come back on my court date. This is all based from my experiences. I've had a few speeding tickets in my time and others as well, I've learned my lesson the hard way just like you.

You can take the course tomorrow or even tonight. You are still required to do 8 hours of classroom time(or online reading) depends what you take, personally ONLINE is wayy better. When you take the exam, you could use the driving book as a reference and if you took notes down(I highly recommend you do because it makes the exam easier).

This is easier for you to get out of getting suspended however it will still cost you a shit load of money when you renew your insurance once they check your driving record.

The only real good thing about doing the exam online is for the demerits to go down but regardless your driving record doesn't affect it nor does it make it better when your insurance looks into it.

So in the end, this whole thing will cost you a lot of money in the long run.
But for now, for the sake of saving your ass and not getting your driver's license suspended, I would probably take the online exam. Just google it.

Here's how it works, you download the program for defensive driving. Then throughout the course they will test you and quiz you to prepare yourself for the final exam. Take notes of these questions as they tend to appear on the final exams as well but re-worded differently. This whole process should take you anywhere between 8-24 hours depending on how fast you work.

After you've completed 8 hours, your exam and passed the final you will get a chance to pick up a certificate from their office and all you have to do is show this certificate in the registry and BAM, 3 points rewarded towards your demerit points.

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh and it's not 8 or more, it's 8 and you're fucked I take it.

fuuuuck, this is not good.

Then again, technically, I don't have demerits on my account because i am not guilty. So i could drive for a month, then go to court in 3 weeks, fight it, and i'm good?

yes the demerits won't apply until you show up to court and plead guilty.
You could also show up on your court date and ask for more time if you need to and they usually let you have another 1-2months as well. So if you're hooped financially, then this is the way to go. I've done it as well and got my court date moved as long as you show up to court on your FIRST COURT DATE. This is key to your survival. haha!

adam c
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
the demerits don't take effect until you're proven guilty.. calm the fuck down..

i take transit everyday, what's the big deal?! are you still in HS or something and being seen on the bus will end you're social circle status??

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM

yes the demerits won't apply until you show up to court and plead guilty.
You could also show up on your court date and ask for more time if you need to and they usually let you have another 1-2months as well. So if you're hooped financially, then this is the way to go. I've done it as well and got my court date moved as long as you show up to court on your FIRST COURT DATE. This is key to your survival. haha!

Looks like that's what's gonna happen then.

I have a court date on December 1st. I'll buy a beater, drive for a bit, get a job (was a broke ass student), make some money, pay all this shit off, re-register my car, insurance, all that juicy stuff, take that test then i'll have a court date in like 3 months after the initial one and by then i should of done that online quiz and got some demerits for that.

I am GDL btw, so hopefully i can still do it. if not, i'm royally fucked.

sounds like a plan, i guess? lol lol

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by adam c
the demerits don't take effect until you're proven guilty.. calm the fuck down..

i take transit everyday, what's the big deal?! are you still in HS or something and being seen on the bus will end you're social circle status??

It makes it tough for work especially when it is hard enough finding a part time job as a college student.

it's just easier having a car, man....lol.

and btw, it's probably better to not have a car in HS, rather then after HS....

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Looks like that's what's gonna happen then.

I have a court date on December 1st. I'll buy a beater, drive for a bit, get a job (was a broke ass student), make some money, pay all this shit off, re-register my car, insurance, all that juicy stuff, take that test then i'll have a court date in like 3 months after the initial one and by then i should of done that online quiz and got some demerits for that.

I am GDL btw, so hopefully i can still do it. if not, i'm royally fucked.

sounds like a plan, i guess? lol lol

My advice is just to take the exam first before you even do anything else. Nothing beats peace of mind knowing that you won't get your license suspended even if they slap you with a full 4 demerits. If you can afford to take the exam now, do it.

Then if you want, you could just get the court date moved as much as you can(try 2 months first if not 6 weeks if not then ask for 1 month, thats the strategy). Just say you can't afford to pay the ticket at the moment with your financial situation, they're usually lenient about that.

Then after working and saving up, show up to your court date early, bargain and try to get the ticket down and get the demerit down as well. Try to formulate a very convincing story. Even if shit hits the fan and all he does is lower the ticket down, you still win because you still have your license and now you got a discount with your ticket as well.

The only bad part which you can't do anything about is your driving record. This will haunt you down and give you a huge insurance rate for quite a few years at least.

I hope you learned your lesson.

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.defensivedriving.ca/

here I even got you a link for the website I used.

adam c
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
tickets can always be turned into something less "offending" it's all in how you portray yourself

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:50 PM

My advice is just to take the exam first before you even do anything else. Nothing beats peace of mind knowing that you won't get your license suspended even if they slap you with a full 4 demerits. If you can afford to take the exam now, do it.

Then if you want, you could just get the court date moved as much as you can(try 2 months first if not 6 weeks if not then ask for 1 month, thats the strategy). Just say you can't afford to pay the ticket at the moment with your financial situation, they're usually lenient about that.

Then after working and saving up, show up to your court date early, bargain and try to get the ticket down and get the demerit down as well. Try to formulate a very convincing story. Even if shit hits the fan and all he does is lower the ticket down, you still win because you still have your license and now you got a discount with your ticket as well.

The only bad part which you can't do anything about is your driving record. This will haunt you down and give you a huge insurance rate for quite a few years at least.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Oh yeah, taught me a helluva lesson. Number one...don't be a fckin retard. Number two....don't be a fckin retard.

Jeez, I sound like a reject asking all these questions, but is there any place I can call fo this test. I'd rather talk to an employee of the place, and get all the info then do the test.

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.defensivedriving.ca/

here I even got you a link for the website I used.

Oh my god bro, thanks alot!! you're a life saver!

wiggaplz
10-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, it's only a hundred bucks....holy shit, i didn't know it was this easy. Only in Canada can you fuck up royally, and still not totally shit the bed and destroy everything.

Right on.

JordanAndrew
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.fleetsafetyinternational.com/

I think their office and phone number is on this website. If you're having doubts this is what you need. This place is legit and I can assure you that it works.

jwslam
10-31-2008, 02:39 AM
just curious as to what the other 4 points came from

speeding by more than 30?

zarge
10-31-2008, 03:04 AM
When you go into court ask for the case to be "stayed" and do it again the second time if you need. If they ask why? say you need more money for a lawyer. They can't refuse it unless you do it like 3-4 times.

4lti7ude
10-31-2008, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by zarge
When you go into court ask for the case to be &quot;stayed&quot; and do it again the second time if you need. If they ask why? say you need more money for a lawyer. They can't refuse it unless you do it like 3-4 times.

And doing this will get him what...?
Just more time to wait for his license to be suspended?

JordanAndrew
10-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude

And doing this will get him what...?
Just more time to wait for his license to be suspended?

:facepalm:

For the 200th time, his license is not suspended yet until he finishes all his 8 demerit points(GDL). In order to do that he has to be proven guilty first. If you're extending the court date then you haven't been proven guilty yet. This buys him time if he's in a financial trouble. That's what he'll get.

GT.....O?
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
my thoughts,

1)call Pointts and have them find a way to reduce the ticket,

2)If you have had you licence for over a year, take your advanced road test, bumping your allowable demerits to 14

techniqually thats wrong, you can take the test yes, but they will not update your license off GDL if you have a ticket. You have to clear that first,

My suggestion would be take a defensive driving course
or try get it reduced.

89s1
11-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I sincerely hope that this all goes horribly wrong and you lose your licsense. That way you learn something.

Saying you've learned your lesson already is total bullshit.