PDA

View Full Version : SAIT - Business Administration

MikeAg
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I took Software development last year at SAIT and i didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would have, so now i'm thinking of applying for Business Administration tomorrow so I can start it next Fall. I'm not sure which course to major in though (Accounting, Financial Services, Management or Marketing). From your guy's experience which do you think would be the best choice in terms of employability, salary, difficulty, etc...?

cressida_pimpin
10-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Financial services will probably have the best employability because of all the banks there are. However, I really enjoy being a marketing major because of the opportunities for creative problem solving. Coming up with new business strategy in terms of promotions and marketing campaigns is alot of fun. On the other hand, dealing with numbers all day every day, well it becomes a bit boring.

WWJAI
11-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I graduated with the Business Admin diploma in accounting and I honestly think it is the easiest program to find a position. There are chances to advance in companies easily by furthering your schooling and taking the applied degree program and continuing to obtain a professional designation. Companies are always hiring entry level accounting positions. The money is probably not the best and I must agree with 'cressida_pimpin' that dealing with numbers is boring. I hate accounting but it's going to be my career probably for the rest of my life.

Canmorite
11-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Finance or Accounting would be your best bet.

KyleTA
11-01-2008, 10:55 PM
dont take marketing... its really fun but not much employment opportunity that i have found.

cressida_pimpin
11-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
I hate accounting but it's going to be my career probably for the rest of my life.

That's rough man

11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
dont take business at sait, go to mrc or u of c.

I graduated from the management track of business admin, and i wish i had done something else.

I found it to be almost worthless so far.

-STi-
11-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 410440
dont take business at sait, go to mrc or u of c.

I graduated from the management track of business admin, and i wish i had done something else.

I found it to be almost worthless so far.

Im assuming you did this at SAIT? I was wondering if you could shed some light on why you find it useless so far. I just picked the managment major, so any help would be appreciated.

max_boost
11-04-2008, 12:49 AM
You will most likely need further education to get you anywhere unless you got skills and schmooze your way to the top lol

Great thing about this program imo is, gets you learning right away vs two year general at most Universities and gives you the option to transfer to U of L to enroll in their business program with a 3.0gpa.

WWJAI
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by -STi-

Im assuming you did this at SAIT? I was wondering if you could shed some light on why you find it useless so far. I just picked the managment major, so any help would be appreciated.

Of all the people I know who took the management route, none of them obtained actual jobs being managers or anything close. At most, they were customer service, receptionists, clerical assistants type jobs.

WWJAI
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

That's rough man

Well I guess I overstated it. I don't hate accounting but I don't enjoy it and see it as a fun job. It's something I don't mind doing in an office environment, but some of the job tasks in the workplace do get interesting once in a while. Only good thing I see about it as you are always learning things on the job and there are numerous amounts of areas you can involve yourself in.

Canmorite
11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You will most likely need further education to get you anywhere unless you got skills and schmooze your way to the top lol

Great thing about this program imo is, gets you learning right away vs two year general at most Universities and gives you the option to transfer to U of L to enroll in their business program with a 3.0gpa.

Gotta agree with Max_boost here. A SAIT diploma won't cut it if you're looking for higher end jobs. You will most likely need a university degree to get into some places.

SAIT's program is a start but I don't think it's enough.

ralliart_girl
11-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

Of all the people I know who took the management route, none of them obtained actual jobs being managers or anything close. At most, they were customer service, receptionists, clerical assistants type jobs.

Most people without experience, regardless of education, has to start from the bottom. I took this program and grad with the management major. I had no issues finding jobs. However, the one piece of advice I will offer is, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have chosen finance instead. The only reason being that I took just as many finance classes as I did management classes. And account or finance would probably have better long term potential of not having to go back too soon to upgrade.

Add on: I do agree with everyone else, that SAIT is not going to get you the high paying jobs, however, it does get your foot in the door.

ExtremeSi
11-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I did the Marketing major at SAIT and am now finishing up at UofL. I really enjoyed SAIT and thought the program was really good. However, I agree with most people here, that you will probably want something more than the diploma from SAIT.

And remember that SAIT will not fully transfer to UofC. They only have an agreement with UofL for a full course transfer.

Also, you don't have to choose your major the first semester. I think you choose it 2nd semester if I remember right. So you can figure out what you want to major in.

-STi-
11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

Also, you don't have to choose your major the first semester. I think you choose it 2nd semester if I remember right. So you can figure out what you want to major in.

Im in my first semester right now, and I had to pick my major on Nov 3. The second semester is start of the major.