PDA

View Full Version : E-mail forward - RCMP Alert

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I got this in my email this morning, it was a forward from a friend.
Never heard about this before.

Just wondering, anyone know anything about this.
I hate forwards and get tons of them all the time, but this one freaked me out a little.

Be careful, please pass along to other women out there!
This is something that happened to us on the way back from vacation last spring. I didn't think much of it until now. The reason we were a little suspicious is we had been riding in a jeep all day with 100 degrees temperature and stopped at a truck stop for something to drink. When I was leaving, a young girl followed me out and asked what kind of cologne I was wearing. Well, after 7 hours in the car sweating, I don't think you could tell I was or was not wearing any cologne. We just got in the jeep and said no thanks to her offer to smell new cologne. Then about 3 weeks ago, I was at a service station in Brampton getting gas. It was about 9:30 p.m. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in a car. The man that was driving asked me 'What kind of cologne do you wear?' I was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said, 'We are selling some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money. He then reached out of the car and handed me laminated paper that had perfume on it. I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said, I have no money. He said That's OK; we take cheque, cash, or credit cards. Then the people in the car began to laugh. I just got in my car and said no thanks. Then I received this e-mail yesterday and it sent chills up my spine.
Martha Calden, Court Liaison Clerk, R.C.M.P, Selkirk Detachment
204-482-1222 ext. 224

Please read this. It is no joke. Here is the E-mail I was sent:

Dear Friends: I know not all of you are women that I am sending this to, but I am hoping you will share this with your wives, daughters, mothers, sisters, etc. Our world seems to be getting crazier by the day - pipe bombs in mailboxes and sickos in parking lots with perfume. Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 5:30PM in the Wal-Mart parking lot by two males asking what kind of perfume I was wearing. Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous new scent they were willing to sell me at a very reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an e-mail warning of a 'Wanna smell this neat perfume?' scam. The men continued to stand between parked cars, to wait for someone else to hit on. I stopped a lady going towards them, pointing at them and told her about how I was sent an e-mail at work about someone walking up to you at the malls or in parking lots and asking you to SNIFF PERFUME that they are selling at a cheap price. THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS ETHER! When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet, your valuables and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume' but thanks to the generosity of an E-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me. I wanted to do the same for you.

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS

AND PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A
MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.
Ladies, this happened to me yesterday and I didn't smell
The perfume either, thanks to this email. THIS IS TRUE!!!
Believe Me, I know. I was over by Marlborough Mall in
Calgary in the parking lot at lunch time when I was approached.
So either day or night, it does not matter. There were 3 guys
Together when I was approached. I called the police when I got
Back my desk.

Like the email says above let everyone know.

the email address on there was from [email protected]

JRSC00LUDE
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Make sure you never flash your highbeams at someone driving with their headlights off either.

G-ZUS
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Make sure you never flash your highbeams at someone driving with their headlights off either.

They will follow you and kill you?

TKRIS
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/perfume.asp

Nothing worse than bullshit and chain letters. This one is laquered in both.
;)

lint
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
damn, too late

dennisaur
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
"hey does this rag smell like chloroform to you?"

jsn
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
i've gotten this chain email so many times...:thumbsdow

Also, one quick sniff of ether isn't going to knock you out.

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Makes sense.
Thanks boys.

Whats the point of these chain letters?

core_upt
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
The real twist is that the perfume belongs to a Nigerian prince and will send you a cheque for $25,000 but can't afford stamps to send it, so Bill Gates will personally email him the money if you use this special coupon....

Penis McNickels
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

So that lonely, paranoid people have a way of keeping touch with others, even if it means annoying the fuck out of them.

zipdoa

AND PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A
MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.
Ladies, this happened to me yesterday and I didn't smell
The perfume either, thanks to this email. THIS IS TRUE!!!
Believe Me, I know. I was over by Marlborough Mall in
Calgary in the parking lot at lunch time when I was approached.
So either day or night, it does not matter. There were 3 guys
Together when I was approached. I called the police when I got
Back my desk.

the email address on there was from [email protected]

My first clue that it was a chain letter... hahahaha. Dead giveaway is when people say 'This is for real! Not a joke! Not a chain letter!'

Isaiah
As they are forwarded, more email addresses are added and then the addresses are used in mailing lists for spam.

em2ab
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Makes sense.
Thanks boys.

Some people like to laugh at others' stupidity.

TKRIS
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Makes sense.
Thanks boys.

To feed soccer mom's paranoia and make stupid people feel priveledged for having "cutting edge information about a new and dangerous threat".

OT: A couple friends of mine we at the one guy's house. I headed up there for a couple beers, and when I got there, J was missing most of his eyebrow, and his hair was all singed.
"WTF were you guys doing?"
"Putting those 44" Boggers onto the new rims."
"WTF happened to your head?"
"The Ether bunny..."

:facepalm:

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
As they are forwarded, more email addresses are added and then the addresses are used in mailing lists for spam.

more spam?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ginger_rawks/template2.jpg

GTI CANADIAN
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Meow

em2ab
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM

more spam?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ginger_rawks/template2.jpg
I forgot to mention, if you reply to them, they know it's a valid email address and add it to the list to sell to others. And if they don't get an auto rejection email from your account then they also know it's a valid address and will add it.

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM
^ my Grandmother is Bosnian...she'd fuck a brotha up! :D

treg50
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, like who knows. As far fetched as it might be to some of the cynics out there = All's clear! Sniff all the unknown substances given to you by strangers, teh internetz sayz it's 'O.K.!'

Bottomline: it is still NOT a good idea to sniff an unknown substance give to you by strangers.

Knowing is half the battle.:thumbsup:

lint
10-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
If this is real, I would take it quite serious, what if your sister got caught on this and got Raped, Wouldn't be all that funny then would it?

What if your grandmother got robbed.

Are you serious? In this day and age, all you have to do is search for it at snopes.com and you'll know if it's real or not. You can also search for "ether" and understand that the amount on a business card might be able to knock out a few fruit flies, but it would take more than a passing whiff to knock a person out. If it was strong enough to do that, the scammer with a pocket full would need a gas mask to avoid being knocked out himself. If your mom, sister, grandmother make it a habit of sniffing stuff from strangers in gas masks, you have bigger problems.

Grogador
10-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by lint
If your mom, sister, grandmother make it a habit of sniffing stuff from strangers in gas masks, you have bigger problems.

I have to pay good money for my habit :(

googe
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
rule of thumb, anything that tries to make a case for how true it is, is a hoax.

Casa
10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
man i hate these damn chain emails
just creates spam lists. utter nonsense

sputnik
10-31-2008, 06:13 PM
FS: High End Speakers.

MSRP = $4500
Sale Price = $200

Meet me by the white van at Wal-Mart for this LIMITED offer!

Isaiah
10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by googe
rule of thumb, anything that tries to make a case for how true it is, is a hoax.

Religion comes to mind.