PDA

View Full Version : My First Gig!!

zipdoa
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
So I'm playing @ the MRC Bar Nov 14th, doing a 3 song setlist, and am a teenie bit nervous considering that not only is it my first gig, it is my first time playing for anyone, period. I'm really stoked to play, but was wondering if anyone with experience has tips for sounding my best? What should I do in the next two weeks to ensure my voice will sound tip top? I do scales every morning in the shower and am always singing in the car and whenever I have free time. I also know that you should avoid milk and drink water to keep your vocal cords lubricated.

I'm basically just looking for the dummies guide to making my first gig a show stopper!

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Make sure the water your drink is room temperature and not cold, its bad for your voice!

Are you doing an accoustic set?

Moonracer
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Get some of your friends and/or family together and perform for them a few times before you do your gig.

zipdoa
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
Make sure the water your drink is room temperature and not cold, its bad for your voice!

Are you doing an accoustic set?

Semi... I don't have a band assembled yet and probably won't be able to get one together and practice enough for this gig, so it'll just be me and my two electrics... My first song will be an acoustic 'knockin on heavens door' with my friend Tara singing, and then I was thinking of singing an acoustic version of 'don't look back in anger' and then playing 'Sulk' by radiohead, which would be acoustic + some distortion for the bridge/last verse.

LadyLuck
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Semi... I don't have a band assembled yet and probably won't be able to get one together and practice enough for this gig, so it'll just be me and my two electrics... My first song will be an acoustic 'knockin on heavens door' with my friend Tara singing, and then I was thinking of singing an acoustic version of 'don't look back in anger' and then playing 'Sulk' by radiohead, which would be acoustic + some distortion for the bridge/last verse.

Tara Shepard?

zipdoa
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

Tara Shepard?

Hahaha why do people keep asking that... No, Tara is a friend of mine from highschool, definately not Tara Shepard.

el-nino
10-31-2008, 01:01 PM
I will tell you my biggest secret. No word of a lie and I have been preforming for 10 years now. Whether you are in a band or a solo artist or just jamming the trick is to... I'll pm you...

TKRIS
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Get really, really, really stupid fall down puking drunk/stoned.

Used to work great for me when I was 16.

I think...

Casa
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
^ great advice :confused: :rolleyes:

Hakkola
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by el-nino
I will tell you my biggest secret. No word of a lie and I have been preforming for 10 years now. Whether you are in a band or a solo artist or just jamming the trick is to... I'll pm you...

Masterbate before going on stage?

It really helps take a load off.

Mibz
11-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Masterbate before going on stage?

It really helps take a load off. *Rimshot*

Ukyo8
11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Record the song, then lip sync
:rofl:

No real advice, but good luck :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Get really, really, really stupid fall down puking drunk/stoned.

Used to work great for me when I was 16.

I think...

He did say he wanted to be a show stopper...

Boat
11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
get a shitload of beyond members to come :thumbsup:

finboy
11-03-2008, 07:38 PM
you'll knock it out of the park, you shouldn't have a problem with the guitar aspect

Nitzer5
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
When are you playing? i'd love to come see If I can.
By the way, that is a kickass setlist, although if I might suggest consider playing "Black Star" at some point by Radiohead, i've yet to see a good cover of it.

zipdoa
11-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Nitzer5
When are you playing? i'd love to come see If I can.
By the way, that is a kickass setlist, although if I might suggest consider playing "Black Star" at some point by Radiohead, i've yet to see a good cover of it.

Nov 14th, don't have a time yet... will post when i do. Black Star is a pretty serious song to sing... Sulk is hard enough to perfect as it is, especially the last chorus... thom sings fucking high and it's not even falsetto.

Rat Fink
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM

zipdoa
11-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Always be sure to take a pre-game dump.

:facepalm:

finboy
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Always be sure to take a pre-game dump.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Spoons
11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Boat
get a shitload of beyond members to come :thumbsup:

That's probably the best advice... seeing how you want an audience.

It's safe to say you will not have a huge crowd... Lib sucks... hardly people in there.

zipdoa
11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

That's probably the best advice... seeing how you want an audience.

It's safe to say you will not have a huge crowd... Lib sucks... hardly people in there.

I was quite happy at first that it was a small venue... then a friend of mine told me that "The more people present, the better chances you have that someone will like you".

So please, everyone, feel free to come!