PDA

View Full Version : Bending over backwards for Immigrants

creeper
10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Didn't want this thought to be buried in a post somewhere, so I gave it it's own thread:

Other countries wouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate me if I moved there. So why do I have to have footbaths in my school, "Black and Orange" day instead of Halloween, "Happy Holidays" at Christmas, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I moved to some conservative Muslim country, I would expect to have images of scantily clad cheerleaders on TV, beer flowing from fountains on the street, and womens rights.

But something tells me they woudln't accomodate that.

Do what you please in private, but adapt to the Canadian culture in public.

Thanks!

snoop101
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
I know what you mean. My fiance always says shit like. Well back in Vietnam we do this and that and I say ya well you live in Canada now so get used to it.

bulaian
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
really sucks for us that canada is supposed to be a "multicultural" country and the majority of us gets get fucked out of our special occasions/holidays taken away just because of a few minority groups

EDIT: all of this talk lately of that guy that refused to wear a motorcyle helmet to ride his bike because of his turban.... if you want to ride a motorcylce, obey the damn safety laws. If you don't want to obey them, then don't ride the damn bike :guns:

Melinda
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
You're going to get crusified (or whatever the non denominational way of saying that is) for posting this thread and adding to the drama, but I 100% agree with you.

HP2133
10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
immigrants who refuse to sing Oh Canada

adam c
Originally posted by snoop101
I know what you mean. My fiance always says shit like. Well back in Vietnam we do this and that and I say ya well you live in Canada now so get used to it.

really? my ex or her parents/relatives never said anything like that

i find it's usually middle eastern countries that have a problem with our country

rmk
HEAR HEAR

HP2133
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
lol Mel / soon the word would be obsolete, as crucification is something only Christians have :P

am laughing with a bitter taste in my mouth (not to be taken literally)

bubbley
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
You sir are a Homo

snoop101
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by adam c

really? my ex or her parents/relatives never said anything like that

i find it's usually middle eastern countries that have a problem with our country

Ya its small things though, but they still bug me. Like when she cooks its natural for them to cook the living shit out of there meat. Im assuming because over there in the country they dont have the best meat. Others things like how she babies her sister.

Eleanor
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
GOD DAMNIT PEOPLE, it's not the minorities who want all this sh*t. It's our own home grown bleeding hearts who are convinced that minorities in this country get offended when we say "Merry Christmas" when in fact 99.9999% of them don't give a sh*t.

[/Rant]

adam c
10-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

Ya its small things though, but they still bug me. Like when she cooks its natural for them to cook the living shit out of there meat. Im assuming because over there in the country they dont have the best meat. Others things like how she babies her sister.

yea the babying the sister thing i went through... even though her sister was older

Melinda
10-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by HP2133
lol Mel / soon the word would be obsolete, as crucification is something only Christians have :P

As I said in the brackets after crusified...

YamahaV8
10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
100% agree.

bulaian
10-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
GOD DAMNIT PEOPLE, it's not the minorities who want all this sh*t. It's our own home grown bleeding hearts who are convinced that minorities in this country get offended when we say "Merry Christmas" when in fact 99.9999% of them don't give a sh*t.

[/Rant]

seperate.. but related issue - it's the homegrown people who bitch about the "merry christmas" and halloween issue and also the feminists who bitched about santa saying "ho ho ho"

but it's the immigrants that are bitching about the things like footbaths, not wearing helmets or the hat from the police uniform, etc

ragu
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM

[/Rant]

+1 :werd:

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
You're going to get crusified (or whatever the non denominational way of saying that is) for posting this thread and adding to the drama, but I 100% agree with you.

Agree, OP just opened himself up to attacks, but I agree with what he said.

We're no longer having a Christmas party for my work this year. First time not having it in the 3 years I've been here.

Now I dont have an excuse to wear a really nice suit, have my gf put on a nice dress, go out to a nice dinner, enjoy some good drinks with friends from work and just have a good time.

Instead, we get a semi casual potluck lunch for an afternoon.

:thumbsdow What a joke.

Xtrema
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM

[/Rant]

This

Now let's talking about immigration's inability to kick known non-citizen criminals out of the country.

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM

[/Rant]

While I do agree it is the bleeding hearts who cave into this, its the minority of the minorities (did that make sense? ;) lol) who put the pressure on these spineless tools who are ruining it for everybody and breeding more hate than they're trying to prevent.

Gainsbarre
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

We're no longer having a Christmas party for my work this year. First time not having it in the 3 years I've been here.

Is that the fault of recent immigrants? Or might it have more to do with the (financial) fortunes of the company you're working at?

I know that my ex-employer is not having an X-Mas party this year because of their poor earnings.

GTI CANADIAN
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
We need to start a new "Politically Don't Give a Fuck" Movement. Lets use our rights to free speech and offend the fuck out of everyone.

Lets offend whoever we want, and then we can really see what offends people and what doesn't.

Personally, I believe we are being to fucking accomodating. This is our country, get used to our ways. The only time I'll ever give props to Quebec is for the way they deal with this type of religious based, "I can't do that because Allah will strike me down" bullshit.

I have to wear my hijab playing soccer....etc, etc.

ottamania
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
They say When in Rome, do as Romans do. I totally agree to that on this subject.

momofan
10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I hate hearing about the old country, when I used to live in such in such a place.

Go back. English is our first language. Use it. Don't stereotype us whites either. I enjoy cultural foods, try some of ours. Different yes, but wrong no.

Try our celebrations, I have tried some of yours we can all learn from each other.

Sing Oh Canada, send your kids to school that speak English, and when someone asks where you are from tell them your a proud Canadian.

I am sick of being told whites are racists. Some immigrants I have met are the most racist people I have ever encountered.

Canada is a melting pot, don't forget we can all live together happily

OH yeah and Happy Halloween

bubbley
10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
We need to start a new "Politically Don't Give a Fuck" Movement. Lets use our rights to free speech and offend the fuck out of everyone.

Lets offend whoever we want, and then we can really see what offends people and what doesn't.

Personally, I believe we are being to fucking accomodating. This is our country, get used to our ways. The only time I'll ever give props to Quebec is for the way they deal with this type of religious based, "I can't do that because Allah will strike me down" bullshit.

I have to wear my hijab playing soccer....etc, etc.

Actually Mr.redneck...this is the natives country...which im sure would love to play soccer with your head any day of the week

Jlude
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
I was just having this conversation with my sister, she works in a corporate office and today she had to pull one worker aside and let them know not to say Happy Halloween.

A790
10-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bubbley

Actually Mr.redneck...this is the natives country...which im sure would love to play soccer with your head any day of the week
No it's not. It was forcibly taken from them a long time ago. So, until another group comes and takes over Canada, this is still technically a British colony.

Super_Geo
10-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
The only time I'll ever give props to Quebec is for the way they deal with this type of religious based, "I can't do that because Allah will strike me down" bullshit.

Haha I like how you're giving props to the biggest minority in Canada (the Quebecois) who successfully bitches and whines for special treatment... for them telling the minorities in their little minority-land to fuck off for bitching and whining for special treatment.

BrknFngrs
10-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by bubbley

A high quality post as usual.

I agree 100% with the OP on this topic as well; it's getting out of control here.

Originally posted by A790

No it's not. It was forcibly taken from them a long time ago. So, until another group comes and takes over Canada, this is still technically a British colony.

:werd:

theken
10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
When I used to deliver all the minorities would say merry Christmas to me. I am white I thought that was accommodating to me not them. Most try there is a small few who are cunts and hopefully they will die but from what I see most try to fit in

5000Audi
10-31-2008, 03:57 PM
yeah i agree with the OP 100% also...soon enough they will take over canada...like its getting a bit much...i think there should be a law against how many can import into canada...

To be honest, 7 years ago when i lived in Saskatoon, i only knew 2 kinda of people... White and Native american... when i came to calgary to visit my mother after 10 years i seen a arab person with a turban and said and i quote( What the fuck is that?) and my mother said its a middle eastern person....i was in awww cuz i never seen a middle eastern before...now i go back to saskatoon and its also getting over ran by imports, but i think saskatoon has a strong will and wont fall into there traps...

they are takeing EVERY advantage canada offers to the MAX.. like let it bee guys.

Why you move to canada in the first place??
FREE COUNTRY
Nice people
Great jobs

BUT why are you trying to make it like your old one???? if you want that then move the fuck back to it...keep your shit there quit infesting our beautiful country with your shit!!!

if you want to go ride a motor bike WEAR A HELMET, want to work on a construction site.. WEAR A HARD HAT... want to work at mcdees... LEARN ENGLISH... Fuck live by out law not fine a loop hole and try and make your own shit here...

ONE last thing that bothers me...

I use to work in a Tractor and tractor trailor ( semi's) repair shop... get those middle eastern truck come in and they have a hole cut in the floor where they take a shit, so it makes the whole under of the truck filled with shit SOO GROSS...many of there units we would go back and park outside cuz it is sooo gross... YUUCK

END OF RANT!!!!

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Is that the fault of recent immigrants? Or might it have more to do with the (financial) fortunes of the company you're working at?

I know that my ex-employer is not having an X-Mas party this year because of their poor earnings.

It is to make "everybody feel included in all social events" so yea, its not a financial dilemma... especially being in the top 100 largest companies in Canada, I would assume we have a large enough cash flow lol

Gainsbarre
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by momofan
I hate hearing about the old country, when I used to live in such in such a place.

Go back. English is our first language. Use it.

Some pretty xenophobic/closed minded views there. I find your later comments of how "we can all learn from each other" to be pretty damn hypocritical. Unless of course, you meant to say "you should all learn from me", which would make much more sense, given the venomous nature of your post.

msommers
10-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Agree, OP just opened himself up to attacks, but I agree with what he said.

Same here.

Now I dont have an excuse to wear a really nice suit, have my gf put on a nice dress, go out to a nice dinner, enjoy some good drinks with friends from work and just have a good time.

Instead, we get a semi casual potluck lunch for an afternoon.

What a joke.

Agree again. What I don't understand is how an individual who is non-christian, working for a company has a problem with Christmas parties. I mean, the last thing that is going on there is anything religious. Quite frankly, it's about socializing with your peers and watching some poor bastard get way too drunk and making an ass out of himself (or herself!):rofl:. It's only a few people with loud/annoying voices that are causing these problems. Like Eleanor mentioned, most don't give two hoots. Basically it's like this, do you want a nice, classy dinner with gifts that is compeletely FREE (sometimes open bar:D ) or do you want to make a fuss about something not even related to religion and watch everyone else suffer? (well vaguely but only because it's a national holiday, not because the company itself is composed of religious fanatics)

With regards to the fella refusing to wear a motorcycle helmet because they prefer to wear a turban, who the fuck cares. It's his life he is foolishly risking, not ours. Now, when it comes to working for company and an individual is refusing to wear safety gear in place for a turban, which hinders their safety regulations, it's fucking bullshit. They could easily get hurt and turn around and sue the company meanwhile the company is only trying to do what is best for their life.

While I welcome all immigrants and love understanding new culture, I think the respect should be mutual in that immigrants should understand aspects of our culture as well.

G-ZUS
10-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
yeah i agree with the OP 100% also...soon enough they will take over canada...like its getting a bit much...i think there should be a law against how many can import into canada...

To be honest, 7 years ago when i lived in Saskatoon, i only knew 2 kinda of people... White and Native american... when i came to calgary to visit my mother after 10 years i seen a arab person with a turban and said and i quote( What the fuck is that?) and my mother said its a middle eastern person....i was in awww cuz i never seen a middle eastern before...now i go back to saskatoon and its also getting over ran by imports, but i think saskatoon has a strong will and wont fall into there traps...

Last time I checked Middle Eastern people don't wear turbans
:dunno: :dunno:

Gainsbarre
10-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Last time I checked Middle Eastern people don't wear turbans
:dunno: :dunno:

Yeah, but Osama bin Laden does, and that's likely the only middle eastern person that he can name :rolleyes:

I’d dissect his post myself but I don’t need any more of a headache.

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I think for equality purposes, we should have EVERY holiday off for every race and religion. Honestly I'd like to experience other religions like a Chinese new year. If i had time off of work I probably would make my way downtown to check out some of the stuff going on. Thing is im stuck in my office so I cant explore whats out there.

That way nobody can bitch abuot each other, and we're all getting 30-40 more days off a year ;)

5000Audi
10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
ok well my mistake there as to rendering to the middle east.. seeing it has Iraq,Iran and lebanon... i didnt know pakistan and such wernt in the middle east...i guess asia??? BUT WHATEVER... point still stand but my mistake on the area of land said...

msommers
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
but i think saskatoon has a strong will and wont fall into there traps...

So your version of "will" is:

Will = Ignorance/indecency/stubbornness/idiocy

You make me ashamed to be Canadian (and white, I'm assuming).

dj_honda
10-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but Osama bin Laden does, and that's likely the only middle eastern person that he can name :rolleyes:

I’d dissect his post myself but I don’t need any more of a headache.

Haha no kidding!

And i lol'd and the clown who thinks that is the reason there is no xmas party. I bet it has nothing to do with the economy at all....blame the immigrants!

Man, I'm Canadian born, but my parents are immigrants from India. We've celebrated Christmas (yes, tree, decked out house, presents, turkey dinner...you name it) since i can remember. Same with Halloween, Canada Day, Easter etc. Almost all my friends in the same situation (immigrant parents) do the same. There are just some small groups of people, who have some sort of complex that can not get over being in a new country and adapting to their ways and another group within that, that feel the need to voice their inability and ask for all these special grievances. That doesn't mean all immigrants are like that. I agree with Eleanor's post....they ruin it for the rest of us.

That aside, there are a lot of misinformed, uneducated idiots who post in these threads. They can't name one minority from another, and have no facts to back up their BS, yet continue to post their borderline racist bullshit. Fuck, go back to school you fucking rednecks.

Gainsbarre
10-31-2008, 04:36 PM

It is to make "everybody feel included in all social events" so yea, its not a financial dilemma... especially being in the top 100 largest companies in Canada, I would assume we have a large enough cash flow lol

We can agree to disagree here I suppose. Obviously I don't know the specifics of your company, but when they go from a Christmas party (renting out a downtown venue, paying for food/alcohol, hiring entertainment/cooks/servers...) to an extremely low cost event (holiday potluck, where they only expense might be from lost productivity and maybe the electricity used by the slow cookers that'll be plugged in at the office that morning), it suggests to me cost saving measures, not the appeasement of a special interest group.

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM

We can agree to disagree here I suppose. Obviously I don't know the specifics of your company, but when they go from a Christmas party (renting out a downtown venue, paying for food/alcohol, hiring entertainment/cooks/servers...) to an extremely low cost event (holiday potlock, where they only expense might be from lost productivity and maybe the electricity used by the slow cookers that'll be plugged in at the office that morning), it suggests to me cost saving measures, not the appeasement of a special interest group.

I'd like to believe that, except our sister company who is pulling in less money is getting their Christmas party :dunno: And from the context of the email, it certainly wasn't what was put forth for the reasoning behind it. People who know where I work can probably substantiate my company could certainly more than afford this party.

Edit: That being said, it may be for financial reasons. It just seems to be such a testy subject lately, and as Arif himself said - these threads are popping up a lot on beyond, I can only imagine it seems to be a fairly hot topic in Canada right now especially with the glory of "Happy Orange and Black day!" lol

Penis McNickels
10-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers
With regards to the fella refusing to wear a motorcycle helmet because they prefer to wear a turban, who the fuck cares. It's his life he is foolishly risking, not ours. Now, when it comes to working for company and an individual is refusing to wear safety gear in place for a turban, which hinders their safety regulations, it's fucking bullshit. They could easily get hurt and turn around and sue the company meanwhile the company is only trying to do what is best for their life.

The sikh dude that was fighting to wear his turbin whilst riding his motorbike lost that case. The judge ruled that he had to wear a helmet because of the possible unnecessary stress he would put on the Ontario healthcare system and felt that tax payers shouldn't have to pay for his lifestyle choices.

msommers
10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Seems justified! Thanks...Penis

BrknFngrs
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
That aside, there are a lot of misinformed, uneducated idiots who post in these threads. They can't name one minority from another, and have no facts to back up their BS, yet continue to post their borderline racist bullshit. Fuck, go back to school you fucking rednecks.

Whenever these kinds of threads start up, I always wait for these posts; can't beat the entertainment value.

The poster starts with a nice rant complaining about generalizations, stereotypes and "racism" relating to their culture. Then they finish up with a solid derogatory comment against another group that they know little about and they even go so far as to comment on every individual's education (as a whole none the less) which they can't possibly know about. Nice work :facepalm:

ZorroAMG
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Happy Halloween and MEEERRRRRRRY Christmas, mother fuckers!!!!!!

Don't like it? Awwww. Too bad. Tell me happy ramadan and see how it DOESN'T affect me.

EK 2.0
10-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I have one thing to say to all of you regarding ALL of your posts...

5 Words....

Canada is a "melting pot"

Do I agree with everything that has gone on in this country this past week??

No of course I don't...I think some of the issues we are talking about have shielded themselves behind the barrier of religion, race, ethnicity. And I as a BROWN MUSLIM MALE...hate when issues hide behind scapegoats...

As an immigrant to this country am I biased??

As much as I don't wanna be, of course I am. This country gave way to my parents to come here, work their asses to the bone to give me every opportunity they did not have. Opportunity that people who didn't come over to the U.S. or Canada didn't have access to. I agree with all EDUCATED viewpoints in this, and every other race/religion thread this week.

They left a country that was oppressed. That was taking away everything my father and his father had worked all their lives for. My parents came to this country with my older sister, me, $500 dollars to their name and the clothes on their back. Yes we came there to escape all of that. We also stood up for the anthem, mourned when this country lost soldiers, ate poutine and watched hockey games. But STILL held our Islamic, African, and Pakistani values and ethics in high regard. Were able to practise our faith freely without having to watch our backs. Speak our languages openly without fear of persecution. And STILL GOD DAMMIT took the time to learn about Canada, it's histories, it's peoples, it's national languages...

Why can't you all do the same with a little bit of respect??

And with regards to 5000Audi...

ok well my mistake there as to rendering to the middle east.. seeing it has Iraq,Iran and lebanon... i didnt know pakistan and such wernt in the middle east...i guess asia??? BUT WHATEVER... point still stand but my mistake on the area of land said...

You sir need an education. I am seeing that majority of people who seem to have issues with something. Also seem to be making the most uneducated, redneck, KKK, Ricky-Bobby comments I have ever read on this forum. If you have issues with a particular culture, why not take 5 minutes to research it, versus taking the 2 minutes that it takes you to look stupid on a public forum.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." said Abraham Lincoln...But you will probably disavow my quote because it was made by someone who abolished slavery.:rolleyes:

ZorroAMG
10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
I just think the people of this world are far too serious.

Like you'd poop your pants and cry while stabbing me if I said Merry Christmas to you or Happy Halloween, EK. :) These are parts of Canada's history...they shouldn't be discarded....let's just add other people's holidays. :)

5000Audi
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
And with regards to 5000Audi...

You sir need an education. I am seeing that majority of people who seem to have issues with something. Also seem to be making the most uneducated, redneck, KKK, Ricky-Bobby comments I have ever read on this forum. If you have issues with a particular culture, why not take 5 minutes to research it, versus taking the 2 minutes that it takes you to look stupid on a public forum.

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." said Abraham Lincoln...But you will probably disavow my quote because it was made by someone who abolished slavery.:rolleyes:

well i agree with you, i am uneducated on the countries themselves...and i will say i am not a racist nor hate people of other ethnic backgrounds...i may have rambled on in that post BUT...i do stand behind some things said, it seems canada has become and is more changing into a different country then it was in the past...that was the point of what i wanted to say...but 23 hours with no sleep my fingers will wonder... im sorry if i sounded racist because that is not what i am nor want to be..i have many of friends that are ither asian or brown... BUT they seem to have adapted to canadian living and not trying to change what canada is errr was... so again i say im not trying to look racist just stating a point that people come to canada and try and change it to make more like their old country...so yeah...

EK 2.0
10-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Like you'd poop your pants and cry while stabbing me if I said Merry Christmas to you or Happy Halloween, EK. :) These are parts of Canada's history...they shouldn't be discarded....let's just add other people's holidays. :)

Agreed...

do you have any idea how many days off a year I take because of my Muslim Holidays, mixed in with the white bread holidays...

And I wouldn't cry...I would only poop my pants...

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 05:12 PM
My biggest beef is why are we suppressing religious beliefs be it from any religion? The double standards are getting out of control. As I said, I would fully appreciate it if our country promoted different religions. I'd love to experience different holidays and I think it would make us more culturally diverse.

I remember in school in grade 6 you had to research your heritage and do a mild presentation and prepare foods from your "homeland."

It was awesome!

403Gemini
10-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Exactally man!

G-ZUS
10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
My biggest beef is why are we suppressing religious beliefs be it from any religion? The double standards are getting out of control. As I said, I would fully appreciate it if our country promoted different religions. I'd love to experience different holidays and I think it would make us more culturally diverse.

I remember in school in grade 6 you had to research your heritage and do a mild presentation and prepare foods from your "homeland."

It was awesome!

:werd:

Melinda
10-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
This makes me laugh so hard. White people are supposed to know all the differences between the races just by looking at people who pertain to them. Asians get offended when a korean is called chinese, a sikh gets offended if he is called a muslim and us "whiteys" are supposed to be "educated" enough to tell the differences between them all. Here's an idea, look at me for a few seconds, have me say a sentence or two within your ear shot and you tell me what MY ancestory is. If you could, also be able to tell me about my traditional dress, customs, holidays and foods that we tend to eat the most. I bet you couldn't do it, but in these threads there's nothing but people screaming ignorance and lack of education about these EXACT same things with every other colored culture. It truly feels like a large majority of colored minorities (since there are white minorities as well) think that white people are white people and lump them all into a group based on skin color. But when a white person makes an error or lumps all brown or asians together as one, we've committed the ultimate sin. Talk about a double standard.

I'm not saying we shouldn't educate ourselves about one another and the cultures of this world, but it damn well better be a two way street or else get off your hypocritical high horse.

sputnik
10-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by HP2133

Actually crucifixion was practiced by the Romans initially.

It's was never something Christians did.

sputnik
10-31-2008, 06:11 PM

Agreed. I want to celebrate ALL of the religious and non-religious holidays.

Even Ramadan. Since I could probably stand to lose 20 lbs.

JMaj7
10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure if muslim countries have a commitment towards their immigrants, let alone their immigrant's cultures. I don't think anyone can be mad about it or even compare the two because that's just the way it is. I think their position is to have immigrants adapt to the culture of the country they choose to immigrate to. This is probably because the government is influenced by religion(islam) alot more in the middle east than out there. I lived in Karachi for a long time and I never saw people compaining about holidays and religious celebrations. The christian out there did their christian things and the muslims did their muslim things. It was just a bigger deal when the muslim stuff was happening. Religious celebrations shouldn't be such a sensitive issue and people should look at the intention behind the holiday wishes, not the religion.

Now going back to Canada's accomodation of minorities. I think that Canada is being socially responsible by showing the world that they will "bend over backwards" to attend to the needs of it citizens. The fact that other countries haven't reached that level is irrelevant because there are too many factors that lead them towards their own initiatives. I am a Pakstani muslim and I honestly don't understand how people can get offended by how Canadians celebrate the holidays that are important to them. If someone wishes me a merry christmas or happy hanukah, I'd say it right back. Immigrants who cry about these kinds of things have other identity issues to deal with.

Issues such as the bathrooms being converted to feet-washing stations, kids carrying kirpans etc. should be dealt with on a per situation basis and shouldn't be compared to holidays IMO. I think Canada tries to take a diplomatic stand on too many things and should start differentiating between actual human rights issues and over-sensitive inadaptibilty (is that even a word?) issues. Typed on an iphone sorry for any errors.

FivE.SeveN
10-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I sure can't tell the difference between someone from china, japan, or korea.

Just saying :dunno:

eblend
11-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
I sure can't tell the difference between someone from china, japan, or korea.

Just saying :dunno:

alot of people can't, but if you have friends from those countries, it actually becomes really easy.

I am white (russian) and my best friend is Chinese. MY ex was Korean and my wife is Japanese. Most of my friends are Chinese. It's funny because before I met my best friend in Canada (immigrated here 14 years ago) I couldn't tell a difference as well, but because I am so involved with it now, the difference is pretty clear. If I can't determine by the looks (not that hard most of the time), moment they say a word I can tell you where they are from.

I think this all has to do with the emergion into someone elses culture and religion, as other stated, we should get all holidays from all religions in canada, I for one think it would be good for all (expect for businesses who have to deal with all the lost productivity)

happydude
11-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree with some of the above comments that different religions here should co-exist rather than 'trump' one another. Chinese holidays? muslim holidays? christian holidays? Why not just have them all? I don't think one should take precendence over another, nor should one be subjugated in favor of another.

Originally posted by sputnik

Actually crucifixion was practiced by the Romans initially.

And Thulsa Doom.

tyler_durden
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm not saying we shouldn't educate ourselves about one another and the cultures of this world, but it damn well better be a two way street or else get off your hypocritical high horse.
After eight years, based on my own experience, most Canadian citizens are accommodating to immigrants. I think most of us immigrants want to blend in and participate in Canadian traditions even small ways especially for our children.

ZEDGE
11-01-2008, 12:03 PM

This makes me laugh so hard. White people are supposed to know all the differences between the races just by looking at people who pertain to them. Asians get offended when a korean is called chinese, a sikh gets offended if he is called a muslim and us "whiteys" are supposed to be "educated" enough to tell the differences between them all. Here's an idea, look at me for a few seconds, have me say a sentence or two within your ear shot and you tell me what MY ancestory is. If you could, also be able to tell me about my traditional dress, customs, holidays and foods that we tend to eat the most. I bet you couldn't do it, but in these threads there's nothing but people screaming ignorance and lack of education about these EXACT same things with every other colored culture. It truly feels like a large majority of colored minorities (since there are white minorities as well) think that white people are white people and lump them all into a group based on skin color. But when a white person makes an error or lumps all brown or asians together as one, we've committed the ultimate sin. Talk about a double standard.

Very well said. Its funny how whites can be lumped together and called rednecks for calling an Indian an Arab or vice versa. Its just another example of the many double standards and reverse discrimination that is also abound in these threads from others.

Hello Pot, its me kettle.

Maybe some of these so called "educated" people should take 5 min and read up on different ethnicities of the "whiteys" in Canada.

Most of my friends are actually not white, and I personally have no trouble identifying a persons background. But not everyone is like that.

I also agree that most of the PC bullshit is the result of bleeding heart busy body government officials, not the result of immigrants to this country. They may be asking for certain concessions, however they do not seem to be asking for us to take any of ours away.

TC2002
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM

+1

The only problem with this is that not everyone is open-minded (be it from any religion, atheist or humanistic perspective). The problem is having diversity imposed on by a handful of extremist beliefs that make life hard for the moderates of any of these groups. It causes more racial and religious tensions that are unnecessary.

randedge
11-01-2008, 01:13 PM
All encompassing statements like "bending over backwards for immigrants" definitely get a reaction out of me because as a child of immigrants it DOES offend me, and I'll tell you why.

Because I am not one of those you identify as trying to change YOUR culture here (whatever it may be) yet you have lumped me as among them by the "All immigrants" statement.

Its like... there's a double standard with the double standards...

Just like Melinda's complaint, whites could have originated from many parts of Europe that, culturally, are very diverse from each other. When all whites are lumped together, it isn't really fair to them.

Yet here you are saying all immigrants (which I presume to be newcomers not of Anglo Saxon origin) are the same with how all of us don't want to assimilate and change Canada's culture and all that...

Really?

Fuck, I wasn't gonna participate with this discussion, because it doesn't relate to me. Fuck, I ain't one of the people you're talking about, so I could care less. You could be as stupid as you want and make claims and lump everyone you perceive as a threat and I'd just chuckle at your xenophobia and move along..

Yet I can't help but react because just like I said, someone complained about white's being lumped together and I agree - that ain't fair. So, that gives me reason to say that what you're doing ain't fair.

Part A is this: as a FIlipino, I actually take issue with how Filipinos are far too eager to assimilate. I was about to join the UofC Filipino Students Club but I didn't. Why? Because of first impressions. None of the few people I met spoke Tagalog (Phil. Natl. Language). Personally, I saw little value in joining when I can't practice my mother tongue. I might as well just interact with my extended family.

The same goes with my other friends of different Ethnicities. The Japanese, the HongKong Chinese, the East Indians, and the Koreans all know what Christmas, Thanksgiving, and whatever every other thing you would cite as part of the 'culture' here. It's actually funny. Everything that's here you'd be able to find there (in Asia). Pretty much. But not everything there can be found here - so much so that I'm willing to make a bold statement along the lines of: I bet the average person there knows more about you and what you're all about, than you know about them. Western culture, practices, and ways of thinking has been exported for centuries now.

Part B is as follows: in the same thread you also say if you went off to some other country, you won't get the same special treatment.
I'm willing to bet you haven't travelled and are just basing that on an assumption.

Cuz as an Asian immigrant, I can't help but look back to my 'motherland' and how a caucasian westerner would get very serious advantages as a traveller.

First, like I've said, all things identifiable, and credited to the "West" are actually already there. Has been for FOUR centuries. So finding the same comforts, accomodations, and whatever else you're used to finding here would be no trouble at all. No trouble at all.

And that's actually if you went out of your way to avoid things that cater to tourists and migrants from the west (it does happen. There are a lot of businesspeople who do move to Asia). If you stayed within the establishments and organizations that cater to you as a foreigner (hotels, tour groups, resorts.. etc) then you might just very well feel like you've never left home at all, just with different weather and scenery.

Although sometimes, personally I find it disappointing that my motherland's culture in effect is DYING, that's just the nature of the world. Globalization.

..which I can't help but mention how hypocritical this whole scheme sounds. Consider: If the developing world encounters globalization as it is promoted by a western industry's expansion, it's all good and fine. Local industries within that developing nation might die, but that's ok! The west says, "Oh well, if you can't compete, you're weak and deserve to be obliterated". Socio-Cultural Darwinism Baby!

But when immigrants move here with their culture, and in a very small-scale, miniscule, perhaps even negligible version of this Socio-Cultural Darwinism happening in the develping world, displace the existing Anglo Saxon culture, OMG WTF! PAAANIC! It's a bad thing all of a sudden. So, in short, it is a case of "It's ok if we do it, but not if it's done to us." type of deal, right?

Secondly and as a result of I've said it before and I'll say it again: Being a Westerner in Asia is a lot different from being an Asian in the West.

Totally different.

Here, I'm just one of among many other Asians. Whether you're pointing out an example of a dark one from the SouthEast or a light skinned one from the upper latitudes doesn't matter, we're all Asian.

There's no exoticism, no special-ness, and certainly no exclusivity. And hell, even if there were fewer of us here it probably would not be an advantage seeing as history has shown how poorly the first few Asians in this continent were treated.

A Caucasian in Asia on the other hand? Instant celebrity status. A funny and poignant look into this phenomenon is Sofia Coppola's "Lost in Translation" with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johanson. The Philippines is largely the same. An average looking Caucasian would have a lot easier time finding a modeling job than even the most hispanic mixed Filipino. They loooove caucasians. They love people of other races.

Fuck, infact you don't even have to be of a different colour. I as someone who's visibly Filipino yet has spent considerable time here in the "west" and has been "westernized" had a certain appeal when I went there. I'm willing to admit that I'm not that popular here in Canada, but in the Philippines? I've never had such ease fucking chicks.

So, in the end, I can't help but think how you, and others like you who always sound off the alarms whenever there's a perceived threat to the 'culture' here, indeed come off sounding a tad xenophobic. Perhaps even rednecky. Other parts of the world - parts where some of these migrants actually come from - have already had a taste of the west before they even got here. Centuries ago their countries have experienced what you're experiencing here just now.

Speedy
11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by creeper
Didn't want this thought to be buried in a post somewhere, so I gave it it's own thread:

Other countries wouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate me if I moved there. So why do I have to have footbaths in my school, "Black and Orange" day instead of Halloween, "Happy Holidays" at Christmas, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I moved to some conservative Muslim country, I would expect to have images of scantily clad cheerleaders on TV, beer flowing from fountains on the street, and womens rights.

Thanks!

So how do you define "Canadian Culture" pretty much what we have made popular in the last 100 years?

True Canadian Culture is rotting on reserves or being sold as totem poles to Japanese tourist in Banff!!!

So because we forced the true Canadian off their land we get to say how other people get to live here...give me a fucking break...so what!!

BerserkerCatSplat
11-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Speedy

So because we forced the true Canadian off their land we get to say how other people get to live here...give me a fucking break...so what!!

That would be the idea behind colonization, yes. :dunno:

Canmorite
11-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Pretty sick of this shit too. My mom was an immigrant and my Dad was born here (parents were immigrants) and they adopted pretty fast to Canada's ways.

Of course there is a transition period, which is usually a generation or two. From what I've seen anyway...

randedge
11-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by randedge
Other parts of the world - parts where some of these migrants actually come from - have already had a taste of the west before they even got here. Centuries ago their countries have experienced what you're experiencing here just now.

yes, I just quoted myself.

I just did some more thinking and it just occured to me:

Perhaps the reason why some immigrants seem to not think twice about maintaining their own culture whilst living here in the 'west' is because in their home countries, they have never taken issue with things of 'western' origin existing alongside the things native to their motherland?

Of course I can't speak for every type of immigrant, but I am speaking on behalf of the East Indians (colonized by the Brits), Japanese (made into an American Ally post WWII), Filipinos (Spanish Colony from 1600-late 1800's and from there on an American colony up until WWII) and most other Asians. The people who trace their ancestry from these countries have had vast experiences with the 'west'. Maybe the reason why they see no trouble with practicing their culture here is because where they're from, there's no issue with 'western' ways practiced alongside theirs?

The common assumption by people born and bred here is that we here in the 'west' is the epitome of civilization. I admit that the standard of living here is high, which is why the sacrifices made by my parents to get here were acceptable tradeoffs. However, I don't flatter myself that we're ahead of the game in all aspects. Through no fault of its own, Canada is still behind in true race relations and true social justice. It hasn't had much time being a nation, let alone being a multicultural nation. Too often it overcompensates and makes stupid shit like Black and Orange day or somesuch.

It's funny. Canadians like to cite the worst example of American racism (the N word being used against Obama in particular) as an indication of how much more racist they are compared to us. Yet, conveniently forget that the US, as a former colonial power has had more experience interacting with people of other cultures globally. While it's true that it was imperialistic, it cannot be denied that it is experience nonetheless. Further, parts of the US have been multicultural decades prior to Canada opening up its borders to people from all kinds of races due to a need to populate its vast territory.

Speedy
11-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

That would be the idea behind colonization, yes. :dunno:

LOL, pretty much point...we are being colonized...get over it.

If you don't like it head down to Fort Calgary and declare war on the NE!

TomcoPDR
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
We can't even get Ontario drivers not to run red lights while in Alberta, nor can we get B.C. ppl to switch over their plates properly after living here for 3 years making oil money. So what makes you think people from other countries, other cultures will change.

randedge
11-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks!

I guess my bad that, although you did say "for Immigrants" meaning all, you do single out Muslims in your post.

Well, I would venture to guess that you actually have not met a muslim and chatted to them face to face and found out what their belief was all about.

Have you? Simple yes or no.

Because if you have, then you might not have included that Christmas complaint. It's the rabid Atheists who want Christmas stricken down. Muslims believe in Jesus, although they only view him as a prophet. As such, the muslims I know do NOT mind Christmas in any way at all. In fact it's nice to see one of their prophets celebrated.

Sikh's too are very open to others. India was once British Colony too, so they know what the west is all about as well - especially the ones who have attained post-secondary education.

So, here is what I think: That you being all riled up about the muslims taking over actually has more to do with you selectively paying attention to things in the news and the things you overhear from people with similar views. That you have not actually met one who wished to 'change' what Canada was all about.

bashir26
11-01-2008, 03:26 PM

I guess my bad that, although you did say "for Immigrants" meaning all, you do single out Muslims in your post.

Well, I would venture to guess that you actually have not met a muslim and chatted to them face to face and found out what their belief was all about.

Have you? Simple yes or no.

Because if you have, then you might not have included that Christmas complaint. It's the rabid Atheists who want Christmas stricken down. Muslims believe in Jesus, although they only view him as a prophet. As such, the muslims I know do NOT mind Christmas in any way at all. In fact it's nice to see one of their prophets celebrated.

Sikh's too are very open to others. India was once British Colony too, so they know what the west is all about as well - especially the ones who have attained post-secondary education.

I'm a Muslim and both me and all of my relatives enjoy christmas and every other holiday. We don't celebrate it, but its nice. I'll say Merry Christmas to anyone during December same with my parents.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Speedy

LOL, pretty much point...we are being colonized...get over it.

If you don't like it head down to Fort Calgary and declare war on the NE!

What the hell are you on about? :rofl: :rofl:

EK 2.0
11-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Part A is this: as a FIlipino, I actually take issue with how Filipinos are far too eager to assimilate. I was about to join the UofC Filipino Students Club but I didn't. Why? Because of first impressions. None of the few people I met spoke Tagalog (Phil. Natl. Language). Personally, I saw little value in joining when I can't practice my mother tongue. I might as well just interact with my extended family.

I speak tagalog...and I am bombai...:D

randedge
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I think the UCFilipinoSA are very nice people and I'm sure many of them probably do speak Tagalog or some other Philippine language (there are hundreds). It's just that the people manning the booth during student's week were non speakers.
Still, I wasn't fair when i said I didn't join due to that one simple fact.
The thing is, I'm a busy guy and I have to prioritize my involvement. Unfortunately I don't have the time to join them right now, so I didn't.

Revhard
11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I think the issues that have made news have really distorted the view of many from the actions of few.
Immigrant could easily be replaced with "new canadian".
People that are new to Canada are going to complain. It's nostalgia.
They miss home.
I have met lots of people from all over that complain about this or that.
British, Australian, American, and European. People from India, Lebanon, and Vietnam are no different. Visible minorities will always get the most attention, good or bad.
Canada is very accomodating, we are easy going as a group.
This can hurt and help. Those that like the way things are here after settling in are perfect examples of Canadians. Those that wish to make trouble and abuse the system are examples of not-so-perfect Canadians.
I am so far from religious it's not funny, but I can see that there has to be transparency in how it is handled on the whole.
One belief should not hold priority over another. I see it as a social thing, people get together and celebrate. That said, I also see it as a following, not unlike other organizations that are frowned upon. A way of life based on the sayings of others.
I don't think it should get special treatment from society though.
You know it's not cool with Canada as a whole to do terrible things.
I think we have to look at it totally different. Taking in new ideas can benefit Canada, but we should decide as a whole which ones are beneficial. Vote-chasing politicians are not good examples of people to make change for obvious reasons.
Special demands that are based on religion should be considered very low priority, no matter what religion.
The comment on the Natives is rather amusing. Things were done a very different way back then, and believe me, as a Canadian, you are paying for it.
This is Canada, like it or leave it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

tabouli
11-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Didn't read a single post in this thread except for the first one.

OP should take a good look in the mirror before killing himself.
Looking in the mirror is optional.

HiTempguy1
11-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Sikh's too are very open to others.

:rofl: You do just realize you stereotyped Sikh's, correct? Sure it is in a positive manner, but bullshit I call. You get your good guys and your bad guys with any cause/religion/belief, it never changes.

I actually had this exact conversation with my parents this week (pertaining to OP's topic). We came to the conclusion we don't give a shit what somebody believes (or how they act, whatever). The only time it becomes an issue is when it impacts us (ie toilet removed for foot wash station as one example, being allowed to circumvent law/rules because of your beliefs). I just recently read Macleans (the magazine) was cleared of any issues by two Human Rights commisions in Canada because some idiot complained they had printed an article against their religion. Case in point, what they believe in is impacting "us" (Macleans, by making them pay for their lawyers with no way for reimbursement) and that is bullshit. Its not like the article was going "hate and kill the *insert religious people here*!"

I also don't agree with the fact that these cases are very minimal in nature and they just get heavy exposure. I say this because I hear about these things ALL. THE. TIME. Whether through mainstream media or otherwise. However, I would agree that it is a "relative" (emphasis there) minority within groups of people (not just minorities, ALL groups of people) that cause these issues.

Do I have a solution? No, not really. I would prefer for everyone to hold hands and sing Kumbaya peacefully... SHIT! I mean (hope I didn't offend anyone there) ... ;)

Now I wait for someone to pick my post apart rather then trying to take the post as a whole and discuss my POV in a logical manner :nut:

msommers
11-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I am not one of those you identify as trying to change YOUR culture here (whatever it may be) yet you have lumped me as among them by the "All immigrants" statement.

I'm far too hungover to go through and see, if and who said ALL immigrants. I have a feeling when someone says "immigrants," they don't actually mean each and every single one. But on a broad and general basis this thread is, what else should they be called? Randedge, I enjoyed reading your posts because you make quite a few valid points. A couple things threw me off however.

It's actually funny. Everything that's here you'd be able to find there (in Asia). Pretty much. But not everything there can be found here -

Why not? What is the obstacle(s) that is stopping you? That may sound sarcastic or demeaning but it's a very serious question. It is your right and freedom as a Canadian citizen to be able to express your culture without hinderance. So I'm curious as to why you, an obviously proud Filipino, are not making a stand about this, since it is obviously something that bothers you.

so much so that I'm willing to make a bold statement along the lines of: I bet the average person there knows more about you and what you're all about, than you know about them

Completely agree. The problem I believe is that children are not being taught enough primarily by their parents. However, this bugs me:

The common assumption by people born and bred here is that we here in the 'west' is the epitome of civilization.

I'm born and bred here. Thanks for assuming I have a chip on my shoulder. So I suppose in your view, the 'west' is UP HERE and you are down there. And living in a country that is apparently "the shit," of course other countries will look to us in awe and want to know everything about us. While we, the snobby assholes that are, don't have to give a crap about anyone else because we're so much better we shouldn't have to bother. Is that correct or is my hangover still destroying my brain.

The west says, "Oh well, if you can't compete, you're weak and deserve to be obliterated". Socio-Cultural Darwinism Baby!
If this was truly the case, Canada wouldn't be spending billions of dollars for foreign aid or organize peacekeeping missions.

But when immigrants move here with their culture, and in a very small-scale, miniscule, perhaps even negligible version of this Socio-Cultural Darwinism happening in the develping world, displace the existing Anglo Saxon culture, OMG WTF! PAAANIC! It's a bad thing all of a sudden. So, in short, it is a case of "It's ok if we do it, but not if it's done to us." type of deal, right?

Last time I checked, no one was concerned about the addition of culture, no matter how big or small it is.

A Caucasian in Asia on the other hand? Instant celebrity status. A funny and poignant look into this phenomenon is Sofia Coppola's "Lost in Translation" with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johanson. The Philippines is largely the same. An average looking Caucasian would have a lot easier time finding a modeling job than even the most hispanic mixed Filipino. They loooove caucasians. They love people of other races.

Why are we talking about race?

It's funny. Canadians like to cite the worst example of American racism (the N word being used against Obama in particular) as an indication of how much more racist they are compared to us. Yet, conveniently forget that the US, as a former colonial power has had more experience interacting with people of other cultures globally. While it's true that it was imperialistic, it cannot be denied that it is experience nonetheless. Further, parts of the US have been multicultural decades prior to Canada opening up its borders to people from all kinds of races due to a need to populate its vast territory. So because they have more "experience" than us with multiculturalism, they are somehow less racist? I strongly disagree with that. While I will admit the worst of the worst gets highlighted, it is still quite a problem and I know of people that have moved to the states who can attest to this. Just because those fuckers are smiling, doesn't mean they aren't really smiling through their teeth. Percentage wise, US is far more racist than Canada, no discussion. Canada certainly has its share of racist pricks, which is quite pathetic to say the least, but so does every single country on the planet.

randedge
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the clean reply.

It's actually funny. Everything that's here you'd be able to find there (in Asia). Pretty much. But not everything there can be found here -

Why not? What is the obstacle(s) that is stopping you? That may sound sarcastic or demeaning but it's a very serious question. It is your right and freedom as a Canadian citizen to be able to express your culture without hinderance. So I'm curious as to why you, an obviously proud Filipino, are not making a stand about this, since it is obviously something that bothers you.

There's nothing to take a stand since I only mean the little things like, I dunno.. food and spices and fruit are the examples that come to mind. Oh, and ambience too. Nothing like a wet asian market where you can bargain and haggle.

These are things that just do not exist here. Or if they do, they exist in a limited fashion that have been adapted to the laws and regulations here. Sure you might find stuff in Chinatown, but the presentation and ambience is still very much tailored to the culture here.

On the other hand, if you find yourself say in the major cities of Asia like Bangkok, HongKong, Manila, and Tokyo, you can find the crowded markets I speak of, but if you get sick of it, you can always pop over to the department stores patterned after the typical department stores found here in the 'west'. Inside you'll find the same restaurants, shops, and retail chains that are either of western origin (Roots outlet, Lacoste Outlet, FCUK, Tommy Hilfiger outlet etc) or ones just patterned after them.

That's a pretty general example.

There's also the festivals and stuff. For example, Philippine Christmas is different from Christmas here. Yet, if you were there, you still could find the North American flavour of christmas in certain places and celebrations, whereas in here, even the Filipino gatherings I've been to - perhaps mostly due to necessity of he available food and stuff - have been.... Canadianized for lack of a better term.

Expanding my examples, there's also the media, the news, TV shows and movies... etc etc. If not for the internet, only the biggest headlines from Asia make it here, yet Time, Newsweek etc. New York edition could be found there.

So, in short summary, I go back to my original statement: It's easier to find western stuff and practices in the east than it is to find eastern stuff and practices in the west.

As such, this is going back to the footbaths again: I have made it clear that my position is that I do not care and do not see the reason why people cite this as an example of the public and society as a whole being transformed into something less "Canadian".

I just don't get it. My reasoning is as follows:

When an Asian entrepreneur establishes a Roots Outlet in his Asian city because he thinks it would sell - it's his investment, it's his choice for attracting buyers of 'western' stuff, and it's his problem if it tanks. Though truthfully, I think such a store is more likely to outsell and outgrow locally (local to them) produced and marketed stuff. And with that, my Adbusters reading side would protest. But then again, it's not the entrepreneur's fault if the people bought his foreign shit. If I were to act on it, I would participate in things that promote the indigineous industries and stuff.

In a slightly stretched line of reasoning...

Sait and the UC are self governing institutions that have decided that the installation of footbaths as advantageous for them. It's their problem. It's their choice to appease muslim students. It's not the government's money per se, though these schools do indeed get public funding. Bottomline is that I'd have to be a student to be affected. And even then, I'd have to be one of the students de-prioritized to have been truly affected. Only if they built a footbath in a busier part of MacHall, using money diverted from some other useful program would there be reason to act on my part.

I'll stop cuz I'm repeating myself now.

randedge
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Why are we talking about race?

The original poster made this general statement:

Other countries wouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate me if I moved there.

So in response, I made a general reply that his statement is not all true. Westerners get very special treatment where I'm from.

adam c
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
breaking news live from CNN...

*queue music*

Recent reports and studies have concluded that only white people, can be classified as racists...

*queue music*

*queue commercials*

BerserkerCatSplat
11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
Didn't read a single post in this thread except for the first one.

OP should take a good look in the mirror before killing himself.
Looking in the mirror is optional.

Nice comment, I take it you are a member of the "religion of peace?"

93accord
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
^^ :werd: I'm a member of the "religion of peace" and tat is a pretty stupid thing to say.

badatusrnames
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh, it seems that the life of the religious is full of contradictions.

tabouli
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Yeah, right :rolleyes: I take it you're the token "know it all" in this thread.

I'm not of any minority .... Religious or colored skin. Born in Canada too.

The lack of tolerance and respect in this place makes me fucking sick. Some of you should get in line where you fit in, instead of worrying about others that don't concern you. That element of being a controlling dictator didn't work for Hitler in Germany, or Bush in America. So some of you retards ought to stop pushing the idea in my country.

I'm against radicals and converters too. But if someone wants to practice in peace, you can't do anything about it. That how the law stands right now. All of you ignorant shit heads trying to push for uniformity are pissing in the wind. This is a free country as it sits. Go ahead and try to change it by expressing your sentiments on a Calgary Car Forum. See how far it gets you :rofl:

Tik-Tok
11-02-2008, 09:18 PM

That element of being a controlling dictator didn't work for Hitler in Germany, or Bush in America.

Actually it did work for Hitler. Resources were his Achilles' heel. Also it is currently working for Bush as well. They did vote him in for a second term (kind of), and refused to impeach.

tabouli
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Actually it did work for Hitler.

Also it is currently working for Bush as well.

Really? That's a pathetic attempt to grab at straws.
Only on beyond will you find someone to defend Hitler & Bush in less than two lines.

Are you willing to support your statements? Please explain for us how you consider both of those men a success in your own words. Tell us all how the principles of those two men "work" for the better of their countries. I'm betting you come up with a witty one-liner instead, and divert the conversation.

Tik-Tok
11-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Only on beyond will you find someone to defend Hitler & Bush in less than two lines.

Are you willing to support your statements? Please explain for us how you consider both of those men a success in your own words. Tell us all how the principles of those two men "work" for the better of their countries. I'm betting you come up with a witty one-liner instead, and divert the conversation.

I didn't say it worked for the better of their countries, nor am I "defending" them. I'm saying it worked for THEM, as you claimed it didn't.

HiTempguy1
11-02-2008, 09:33 PM
But if someone wants to practice in peace, you can't do anything about it.

I do not think ANYONE on beyond has said people shouldn't be able to practice what they want in peace. Just so you know ;)

tabouli
11-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I didn't say it worked for the better of their countries, nor am I "defending" them. I'm saying it worked for THEM, as you claimed it didn't.

You definitely WERE defending them. Look at your post buddy.
Now go ahead and tell me how "it worked for them".

You're the one who decided to pick 1 line out of my post, and contradict it with ridiculous opinions.

Keep digging.

barmanjay
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Being first generation canadian

i don't mind hearing or seeing other cultures,.. their religions,.. it intrigues me

Some times I do think WTF?

It's neat to see the little mini-cultures throughout the city

I don't mind adding more holidays/special event days

However,.. changing the name halloween to 'black and orange' day SUCKS BALLS! Whats the point?

keep it halloween, that's what it is and what it has been since I was a kid and when my parents immigrated.

.. it has always been halloween to me and always will be

[/RANT]

Hope you all had a happy halloween and wish you a merry christmas! Hannukah to others

Kavy
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM

First I want to say I in no way support Hitler he was a racist murder and his beliefs offend me greatly being Jewish myself.

However you asked so I will interject
He did rule for 12 years and convinced over 80% of the population to follow his beliefs, he eliminated poverty, unemployment, and Germany had the lowest crime rate in history.

He did this by doing exactly what people are doing in this thread, stating ones opinion as fact and attempting to force others to accept it.

I only point this out because I think your a prick for your first post, you redeemed yourself mildly after but I can see your only here to stir the pot instead of contribute positively.

randedge
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Sikh's too are very open to others.
:rofl: You do just realize you stereotyped Sikh's, correct? Sure it is in a positive manner, but bullshit I call. You get your good guys and your bad guys with any cause/religion/belief, it never changes.

Ok, I did :)
Maybe my experiences have been good so far. Biggest example is one guy I went to school with who used to take advantage of his turban and facial hair to dress up on halloween. Real cool guy. Works for CBC now.

bashir26
11-03-2008, 02:16 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03Gs2o9fmV7UV/610x.jpg

Boat
11-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by TC2002

+1

The only problem with this is that not everyone is open-minded (be it from any religion, atheist or humanistic perspective). The problem is having diversity imposed on by a handful of extremist beliefs that make life hard for the moderates of any of these groups. It causes more racial and religious tensions that are unnecessary.

/agree

My opinion is pretty simple, most of these problems stem from religion. The church was a great power and made rules to better themselves, i think it is a continuous process to phase out religion in politics because the two don't mix AT ALL. I think this is just another step.

Ok so I was born and raised Catholic, now the only reason why I would practice this religion now would be raise my kids so that they learn christian values which can make them better individuals in society. Personally I don't believe religion is required to do this but I guess its the simplest way.

Devout Catholics have been fed bullshit from birth. Open your eyes and see that the bible is a load of shit, and if you think there is a higher power you don't need a shitty book to believe it. This ties into all that abortion, gay rights and all that other crap. If you wanna chop up your unborn baby, FINE. If you wanna pound 1 guy in the ass for the rest of your life FINE. As for Jesus, he can stick around he really puts a face to the "christian" values.

I cant speak for other religions but yea like TC said its the extremist groups that cause the problems for everyone else.

Eleanor
11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Come on people, settle down. Can't we all just enjoy a lamb taco? :D

Kavy
11-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Come on people, settle down. Can't we all just enjoy a lamb taco? :D

Depends how the lamb is prepared, if its not kosher i will crush you.

rmk
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03Gs2o9fmV7UV/610x.jpg

I'm assuming that is Dubai. Hardly an accurate portrayal of tolerance on that side.

EK 2.0
11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Depends how the lamb is prepared, if its not kosher i will crush you.

"halal"

codetrap
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

First I want to say I in no way support Hitler he was a racist murder and his beliefs offend me greatly being Jewish myself.

However you asked so I will interject
He did rule for 12 years and convinced over 80% of the population to follow his beliefs, he eliminated poverty, unemployment, and Germany had the lowest crime rate in history.

He did this by doing exactly what people are doing in this thread, stating ones opinion as fact and attempting to force others to accept it.

I only point this out because I think your a prick for your first post, you redeemed yourself mildly after but I can see your only here to stir the pot instead of contribute positively.

And that's the end of tabouli spewing his bile... maybe he took his own advice and commited suicide after looking in a mirror?

/stirs pot some more...