PDA

View Full Version : Ginger Fried Beef Recipe?

Zero102
10-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any good recipes for ginger fried beef that would be similar to what the Ginger Beef restaurant sells or what M&M meats used to sell? (yes they're very different but I like them both)

Getting poor so I've been cooking at home a lot. Now that I've got donairs down this is the last good food I don't have a recipe for :(

I already googled it extensively, but you can't tell how it tastes from the pictures and there is such a variety of recipes out there.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

old&slow
11-01-2008, 05:24 AM
If you find one I'd be interested to know...was just talking to wife about this the other day...:)

dj_rice
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
The main recipe is for the sauce....everything you find in the restaurants is very thin ass pieces of beef that has been battered to shit with so much coating

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 pound flank steak
* Marinade:
* 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
* 1 tsp granulated sugar
* 2 tablespoons ginger juice (storebought or homemade)
* Sauce:
* 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
* 2 Tbsp white or rice vinegar
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 2 Tbsp water
* 1 teaspoon hot chili oil or crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
* Other:
* 1 stalk celery
* 1 red bell pepper
* 1 carrot
* 4 to 5 cups oil for deep-frying
* 2 Tbsp oil for stir-frying, or as needed
* 3 red chili peppers, seeds left in
* 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tsp sesame oil

Zero102
11-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, thanks for the recipe. I should have been more clear, because you are right, the big trick is in the sauce. I am most interested in sauce recipes and if there are any special marinades you should be using (which your recipe has).

Just looking at the list that sauce sounds pretty close to what I am looking for. Would you say it is at all similar to the stuff at say ginger beef? or is there another restaurant you would compare it to?

I'll need to pick up a few things to make that sauce and its midterm season so I'm at the university super late for another week yet. I'll try that one out as soon as possible. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Anybody else have any they'd like to suggest? Sounds like I am not the only one curious here!

halfer
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
J Now that I've got donairs down

What's your donair recipe and where are you getting your meat? Thanks.

Zero102
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I used this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dashs-Donair/Detail.aspx

You've really gotta pound the meat to get it all nice and smooth like the donair shops. Also, when cooking it put it up on a rack in a pan, so it doesn't get all soggy and screwed up. Takes about 20-30 minutes to properly prepare the meat before cooking it. Really there is nothing special to the meat, a bit of seasoning and you are set. After making it once I think I'll step up the amount of flour in it next time.

The sauce is where they really get good, and the sauce is so simple. I went a little lighter on the garlic powder in the sauce since the first time it was _REALLY_ garlic-y (sp?). The sauce is weird because you mix the sugar and evaporated milk, and nothing happens, then you add a few drops of vinegar and it turns to sludge. Its one of those "WTF?!" moments the first time you make it.

Takes the "large" donairs down from $8 each to like $2 each depending on whether ground beef is on sale or not. Pretty affordable for a guy like me :)

GQBalla
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
damn the donair receipe looks awesome i definately have to try that out one time!

nonlinear
11-03-2008, 04:52 PM
wow, ground beef really sounds like a crude approximation of donair meat. this is really meat loaf spiced to taste like donair meat. whenever i've seen it prepared at restaurants, it's been sliced roast (beef or lamb or mix?) and then threaded onto the spit (kinda stacked). also the same for chicken. i'm sure you could find a more authentic recipe to make at home that is still relatively affordable

Zero102
11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Its funny how similar the meat is when everything is done. For a make-it-at-home donair recipe I think its hard to get much closer than the one I posted. I'm far from a donair expert, but it lived up to my expectations :)

dj_rice
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
You could even do a basic sauce of dark soy sauce or light soy sauce, some form of sugar, and water and then grate in some ginger and voila....all you need is a gingery sugar sauce :thumbsup:

nonlinear
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Its funny how similar the meat is when everything is done. For a make-it-at-home donair recipe I think its hard to get much closer than the one I posted. I'm far from a donair expert, but it lived up to my expectations :)

cool, maybe i'll give it a try sometime. have you come across any recipes for chicken schwarma?

Zero102
11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Never had chicken schwarma, so even if I found one I wouldn't know if it was any good, sorry :(

old&slow
11-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
The main recipe is for the sauce....everything you find in the restaurants is very thin ass pieces of beef that has been battered to shit with so much coating

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 pound flank steak
* Marinade:
* 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
* 1 tsp granulated sugar
* 2 tablespoons ginger juice (storebought or homemade)
* Sauce:
* 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
* 2 Tbsp white or rice vinegar
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 2 Tbsp water
* 1 teaspoon hot chili oil or crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
* Other:
* 1 stalk celery
* 1 red bell pepper
* 1 carrot
* 4 to 5 cups oil for deep-frying
* 2 Tbsp oil for stir-frying, or as needed
* 3 red chili peppers, seeds left in
* 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tsp sesame oil

tried it...it was awful...maybe we did something wrong!!!

van
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ginger Beef Recipe
Ingredients:
1 pound beef (rouladen)
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
3 hot chili peppers
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Marinade:
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon cooking wine
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons ginger juice

1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon hot chili oil (optional)

Sauce:
1 tablespoon wine
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar (can substitute brown sugar or honey, if desired)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons water
chili oil or chili powder to taste

4 to 5 cups oil for deep-frying

Directions:
Cut beef into matchstick strips, cutting along the grain. (The meat is easier to cut if it is partially frozen).
To make ginger juice for marinade, peel and grate ginger. Squeeze out juice.
Mix four marinade ingredients. Add to beef and marinate for 30 minutes.
Begin preparing vegetables. Cut carrots, celery, and pepper into thin strips. Mince garlic. For ginger, use the leftover minced ginger from the preparation of ginger juice.
Mix the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
Beat the egg white and add water. Add flour and cornstarch. Mix the batter thoroughly. Drop the batter into the marinated meat. Heat wok. When heated, add 3 - 5 cups of oil. When the oil is ready, add about 1/4 of the meat/batter mixture. Deep-fry the beef until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Let oil come back to original temperature and add more meat.
When meat is cooked, clean the wok. Heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil is ready, add the vegetables and begin stir-frying. Pour in the sauce and let come to a boil. Add the deep-fried beef. Toss quickly, and remove.
Sprinkle with sesame oil and serve hot.

dj_rice
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by old&slow

tried it...it was awful...maybe we did something wrong!!!

I actually just Googled that recipe and took it off the FoodTV website but I don't know where you can go wrong....how did it taste awful?My guess is, maybe the beef was overcooked and dry?They did suggest a crappy cut of beef (flank steak) so....

old&slow
11-07-2008, 05:37 AM
It tasted awful. The selection of meat we made was actually tender enuf. Just nobody liked the taste!