PDA

View Full Version : University of Calgary Car Club

infected
10-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get together a car club for the University since there aren't any clubs that are automotive related at the moment. The club is open to any UofC undergrad, grad, or alumni. Members will have a membership card along with some stickers to slap on the ride. I will be working actively to find discounts from local specialty shops. I also hope to have monthly meets on campus and possibly annual cruises as well. I am still filling out all the paperwork and trying to get things organized but at the same time I need to get a membership list started.

If anyone is interested in joining the club then please reply or PM me with your full name, e-mail, and student id.

A minimum of 20 members is required by the SU before they will review the club's sanctioning. As soon as everything is alright with SU then we will contact members with more information regarding membership cards and stickers.

A rough estimate for the cost of membership should be $10 per year and it wont be anything more than that but an announcement will be given out when all the numbers are figured out.

I think that is all for now. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the club. I am also open to any kind of suggestions.

I really hope we can get enough interest to actually get this club going. Most University's seem to have their own car club already so it's time we catch on.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
kinda like a beyond.ca u of c chapter. :D

nobb
11-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Well I would be interested, maybe to learn a thing or two. Need a few more extracurriculars on the resume anyways. Hopefully it wont be just a bunch of ricers gathering to see whose got more hp/ego.

sneek
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
:P I'm in. PM'd

flipstah
11-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm game for that.

tabouli
11-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Potential sponsors are watching!

This idea can be handled really well and develop into something worthwhile. Or it can turn out to be a bunch of tools driving noisy crap around together. Organizers must direct the project to ensure success.

Best wishes :)

bunzofsteel
11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
hey sounds cool. ++++port.
i TM'ed u with the info. ;)

jdm_eg6
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
+1 im down

Hakkola
11-01-2008, 11:42 PM
What is the point of university clubs? Not being condescending, an honest question.

I may be interested.

infected
11-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all the support! I also appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Most students join clubs to meet other students with similar interests and hopefully learn something new or gain some experience. It is also something nice to have on the resume to show you're a rounded individual.

Here is the mission of our club taken from the constitution:

The University of Calgary Car Club hopes to offer a wide range of car related and social activities such as: monthly car meets, annual Day Trips (e.g. Banff), BBQ and social gatherings, go-kart sessions, events with other Car Clubs and more...
In addition to making friends with other fellow automotive enthusiasts from campus, we hope to work actively to obtain discounts on parts and accessories from local dealers and specialty shops. Membership will also include stickers for members to represent UCCC on their own vehicles.
Our basic goals are to bring together automotive enthusiasts at the University of Calgary, to promote social activities, promote and conduct automotive activities, and to foster safety and courtesy on the road.

flipstah
11-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
kinda like a beyond.ca u of c chapter. :D

I say the chapter becomes a sub-category on the forums if this goes through.

Put a rule where if someone abuses the meets (burnouts, excessive speeding etc.) their membership will be void and their ride will be plastered on Beyond with the caption,

"Douche."

Team_Mclaren
11-02-2008, 04:17 AM
you guys should check out UBC's sports car club:

http://www.ubcscc.com/

i think its a great idea, just super hard to get it started.

Spoons
11-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
you guys should check out UBC's sports car club:

http://www.ubcscc.com/

i think its a great idea, just super hard to get it started.

Not really... we got balls of fury (croquet/boccie ball appreciation group) set up pretty effortlessly.

I know a few people on the SU exec too... I'll have a chat with them and try and push this idea along with them.

Team_Mclaren
11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Not really... we got balls of fury (croquet/boccie ball appreciation group) set up pretty effortlessly.

I know a few people on the SU exec too... I'll have a chat with them and try and push this idea along with them.

i meant to have it started and make it successful/meaningful. Anyone can start any dumb club, but to make it successful is another story.

again, take a look at UBCSCC

michael_tseng_
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
i'm in

11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd join, but no car yet :facepalm:

Casa
11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
if i was still going to the U of C, i'd definitely be interested. good luck starting this club!

BananaFob
11-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm in too!

Projek01
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
i am in! i hope we can get the auto-x events like UBC. hopefully i get my new motor in and some sway bars before this is formed haha. i dont want to be embarrassed my 140hp!

nobb
11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I would love to see some sort of winter AutoX event. Would be a good excuse to learn some winter driving and test out my new Blizzaks.

Spoons
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Alrighty, I had a talk with some SU peeps... Not a lot I can do.

Best advice I can give you is get as many interested people as possible with a list of them (include email, etc.) and make your constitution really well written.

It isn't that hard to get it sanctioned, and pretty easy to get a booth in mac hall.

ricescream
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Projek01
i am in! i hope we can get the auto-x events like UBC. hopefully i get my new motor in and some sway bars before this is formed haha. i dont want to be embarrassed my 140hp!
from one 6th gen owner to another
word.

VW337
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm in, will send PM later as this computer won't let me.

infected
11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Once again I appreciate all the support from everyone. :thumbsup:
I've got everything ready and will be handing it over to SU tomorrow.

Lets hope this works out. :)

flipstah
11-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by infected

Hopefully I'll have a car that is worthy for the club :D

Team_Mclaren
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM

let me know if you need any help T, i dont do much around school anyways, that is if i go.. :rofl:

superboost
11-07-2008, 09:30 PM
^ word let me know if I can be of service. I have a few friends on the SU.

infected
11-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the offer guys, I'll be sure to let you guys in on any event plans.

I handed everything in on Tuesday so now we just play the waiting game. I think I might contact them again if they don't get back to me by late next week.

Stickers and membership cards are ready to go anytime!!

infected
11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
We're good to go!!!

Come check out our group on Facebook! :thumbsup:

Team_Mclaren
11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
that logo looks familiar....

flipstah
11-14-2008, 12:04 AM
We're good to go!!!

Come check out our group on Facebook! :thumbsup:

Linkety-clickety?

infected
11-14-2008, 12:25 AM
UCCC (http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=33726968163)

infected
11-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
that logo looks familiar....

Uh oh... where have you seen it before? We might have to change it if someone already has one similar.

InLoveWitRSX
11-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I'll join once I get into the U of C :)

herragge
11-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Hope this is managed well, like people said earlier, this can turn out to be really awesome or turn out to be like shit. I hope everything works out for you. I also looked at the UBC club and that looks very well organized.

Best of luck!

flipstah
11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Joined!

Hopefully you guys get some great hookups from dealers. And I'm sure it'll get managed well. Or else they will face the wrath of the Beyond community.

DO NOT FAIL.

Eleanor
11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd be down, can't join from work, but I'll hit it up tonight.

Can I be in the club even if my bike's got more hp than my car? :rofl:

asp integra
11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
my last year at u of c, but count me in as well!

badatusrnames
11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
No white people allowed?

:dunno:

infected
11-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
No white people allowed?

:dunno:

Where did you get that from? :rofl:

Thanks for all the support guys. I'll update when stickers and membership cards arrive. :)

badatusrnames
11-15-2008, 01:51 AM

Where did you get that from? :rofl:

Thanks for all the support guys. I'll update when stickers and membership cards arrive. :)

Haha just from looking at the facebook group membership... :D

sh0ko
11-15-2008, 05:06 AM
def interested.. ill talk to my buddy with the blue rx8 with the 5zigens to join as well

thedarkaccord
11-15-2008, 10:09 PM
i'm cool with joining.

it's be sweet

HeckelZ
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
would love to join, this sounds wicked

Skyline_Addict
11-17-2008, 01:26 PM
alumni can join too right? if so, i'm in!

Baron O' Funk
11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Perhaps.

Team_Mclaren
11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
so, when does registration actually starts?

l/l/rX
11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
that logo does look really familiar from somewhere...

i wanna say i've seen that logo on a subie car...i cant put my tongue on it.

infected
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
We're trying to get the word out but registration wont start until the stickers are done. Membership cards are on their way.

I'm aiming to get everything ready by the start of December.

infected
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Actually everything should be finished by this weekend so registration can start on Monday.

PM for meet up details!!!

CausalInfluence
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
BUMP

Can the registered members that have signed up post that they have done so?

k_dawg
11-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I down for this, I will PM you my info infected. What do you need from me

sneek
12-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I signed up, it is pretty quick :D

I am reluctant to put stickers on my car though. I might out one on my window, but stickers can leave a ghost effect on paint. I put my other stick on my macbook pro. It looks really nice!

dugie
12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I signed up, it is pretty quick :D

I am reluctant to put stickers on my car though. I might out one on my window, but stickers can leave a ghost effect on paint. I put my other stick on my macbook pro. It looks really nice!

:werd: i put it on the windows too =P

em2ab
12-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Good luck with getting the discounts from local shops, I'd like to know how you do it. But if you get things rolling, we might be able to do some joint events, a few of our members go to the University Of Calgary as well.

infected
12-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Just a little update:

E-mail, website, and forums are all under construction.

Printing fliers and posters pretty soon.

Still hunting around town for sponsors.

There will be a mini meet coming up pretty soon. It will be our first event and we just wanna gather all the members together for everyone to get to know each other.

Planning to set up a booth for a week in Mac Hall during the start of Winter Sem.

T-shirts, hoodies, hats, and lanyards available later next year.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested in joining please shoot me a PM and we'll get you registered.