PDA

View Full Version : Funeral/bereavement gift?

Isaiah
11-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Very close family friend has passed away and would like to give the family something meaningful other than flowers. Please provide suggestions.

I have already considered:

- planting a memorial tree (tacky?)
- charity donation
- fruit basket

Serious suggestions welcome please.

HHURICANE1
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I see nothing wrong with the tree or the donation. If it is the donation find out what cause or group the deceased was close to.

ryaraines
11-01-2008, 02:24 PM
You could do a donation to a charitable case, sometimes people specify that in their obituary.

Or you could look at getting a bench in a park (like Fish Creek, or Glenmore, etc) in their memory with an engraved plaque on it.

Isaiah
11-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I just thought of getting them one of those serene little table fountains. Anyone know a good source?

dannie
11-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I know this might sound odd, but; you can buy and name a star and obtain the coordinates of that star.

http://www.starregistry.com/catalog/

Its not very expensive, something that will remind them of the person and is very cool.

Just my 0.02

Weapon_R
11-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I think a donation to someone who needs it is the best way to go in these situations.

rinny
11-01-2008, 06:07 PM
If they are close to you, food is always good for comfort. When things are crazy hectic around the time of deaths, its always nice to have a good meal to come home to that you didnt have to slave over. Not sure how good of a cook you are but it might be an idea?

I'd say a fruit basket is a bit tacky, but donations in memorial are a good compromise.

rmk
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Sometimes the obituary will state what they wish for you to do, ie. donations to the cancer foundation.

bignerd
11-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I know when my father passed away some people sent money with their cards (not a donation to a charity) - it is not something that we asked for but was very helpful as funerals are very, very expensive and my mom was widowed and on her own.

You could always make a meal for the family as well, but the other suggestions were thoughtful as well. Maybe plan some sort of day or small event for them so they can get away from things for a little, take a break.