PDA

View Full Version : what to wear to in interview

Daxin
11-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm sort of out of touch when it comes to style these days. I would wear a suit to an interview but lately, I see CEO's and a lot of business people wearing casual style at offices. For all those people that have went through interview in the last few months, what have you worn, a full suite or just nice slacks and a dress shirt?

dr_jared88
11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Dress to impress. I always wear a suit. I don't think anyone would not give you a job for overdressing. And if you arrive and really feel that overdressed head back to your car and leave your jacket and tie. As the saying goes, its better to be over dressed then under dressed.

My last interview I went suit and tie when the 3 interviewing wore casual, one actually wearing jeans and sandels. I'm working that job now ;)

Good luck!

jaylo
11-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Just get new dress pants, dress shirt, and a sharp neck tie. Full suit is overkill these days. Never gone in an interview with a suit.

Bring one of those portfolio keeper with your resume (cover letter and references) and a blank pad to put some notes in.

Be yourself, don't overkill the casual conversation.

Jlude
11-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Don't dress for the position you're in, dress for the position you want to be in.

I go all out for interviews... have to. You gotta exude confidence.

ragu
11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Dress one level up compared to the average employees there.

ZorroAMG
11-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Dress like your potential boss' boss.

frozenrice
11-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Flip flops are acceptable as long as you trim your toenails.....

EK 2.0
11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Don't dress for the position you're in, dress for the position you want to be in.

I go all out for interviews... have to. You gotta exude confidence.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Dress like your potential boss' boss.

Both the best points here.

I have NO idea how Jlude dresses...

but man do I ever wanna be ZorroAMG...It has been this immigrants dream since the first day he saw that Multi-Grain Cracker...

ZorroAMG
11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
AWwwww whole wheat, you make me bluuuuush.

:rofl: :rofl:

acura_el
11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Full suit. Just remember that you have to dress at least as well as all the other candidates. Most people usually go all out.

urbannomad
11-02-2008, 05:19 AM
I got a lot of advice from everyone in a thread below yours:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/239678/nexen-interview/

Casa
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Dress to impress. I always wear a suit. I don't think anyone would not give you a job for overdressing. And if you arrive and really feel that overdressed head back to your car and leave your jacket and tie. As the saying goes, its better to be over dressed then under dressed.

My last interview I went suit and tie when the 3 interviewing wore casual, one actually wearing jeans and sandels. I'm working that job now ;)

Good luck!

+1

sneek
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
full suit, no tie, but cuflinks :)

kutt3r
11-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Always a suit.. why not?
I would hate to walk into an interview and not be better dressed than the interviwer.

There is something about a suit, you sit straighter and you appear more professional, mind you if it is a decent suit.. there are some really piss poor suits out there.

Now if you are applying at Best Buy.. then I would suggest that is overkill...

Story I heard last week. Guy is interviewing for an internal position and wears golf shirt and khacki's... acceptable dress code for work, but the manager he is interviewing with has started a new minimum dress shirt in her area for dress code... I am betting he is not getting the job....why lose the job cause you were too lazy to get dressed up a little?

ExtraSlow
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I've gone to interviews with a golf shirt, it depends on the dress code at the company.

I spent a lot of this year in interviews for P.Eng positions, and I didn't put on a tie for any of them. I never once felt under dressed.

As has been mentioned above, you want to be dressed at least as well as the person interviewing you. However, there is such a thing as being overdressed. Wearing a suit to a place where everyone does t-shirts shows that you haven't taken the time to learn about the culture in that office, and that you might not fit in.

Food for tought.

TYMSMNY
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Dress for the job you're interviewing for PLUS one notch higher.

blitz
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ragu
Dress one level up compared to the average employees there.

This. A suit isn't always necessary, sometimes it might even work against you depending on the management style.

You always want to be at the same level or one step up from the interviewer. Wearing a tuxedo to a Starbucks interview is going to make you look like an ass.

urban.one
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Im not sure theres many jobs youd wear a tuxedo to the interview.

Originally posted by blitz

. Wearing a tuxedo to a Starbucks interview is going to make you look like an ass.

Jlude
11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Both the best points here.

I have NO idea how Jlude dresses...

but man do I ever wanna be ZorroAMG...It has been this immigrants dream since the first day he saw that Multi-Grain Cracker...

I dress like I wish I was ZorroAMG... not that I do.