PDA

View Full Version : anybody here drive a RWD car in winter, say RX-8?

blue_s2000
11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
heard RWD cars are no good on snow? how about RX-8 ?

sr20s14zenki
11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Thats bull, i used to drive my turbo II rx7 in the winter, and my 240sx, both of them, its not the weather, its the driver. If you take off slowly, and leave lots of time to brake, itll be fine.

badatusrnames
I'm sure this pops up every year around this time...

962 kid
This has been discussed many times. Driving RWD cars in winter should *never* be attempted by anyone without significant rally experience.

ragu
11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Its so dangerous to drive a RWD in winter, buy a unicycle!!
:facepalm: how many times are we gonna see this question?

510-Trevor
11-01-2008, 08:57 PM
With a good set of winter tires a RWD is a fantastic winter car. Front drives will typically get better traction on ice from a stop because the engine is over the wheels. A rwd is better in most other areas because you can steer with the throttle (ever see drifting)
Of course, AWD is the best but that wasn't your question.

EK 2.0
11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Driving RWD cars in winter should *never* be attempted by anyone without significant rally experience.

OR

Just drive it this year, and chalk up anything you learn to "significant rally experience":D

BlackArcher101
11-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd say it's a legit question.... but before I answer it... I want the OP to answer this:

How do you think people used to manage before FWD became mainstream and cars had more HP?

RWD=FUN! And the good kind of fun... if you are smart about it.

dj_rice
11-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Easy on the throttle when taking off, and easy on the throttle when turning and drive more cautious

ZorroAMG
11-01-2008, 09:43 PM
It's virtually impossible to drive a rwd car in the snow without traction control, studded snow tires, sandbags and DB actuators, ABC, BBD & ECF.

Just buy a honda and all seasons, they're amazing.

dj_rice
11-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
It's virtually impossible to drive a rwd car in the snow without traction control, studded snow tires, sandbags and DB actuators, ABC, BBD & ECF.

False, I drove my old 93 240sx with bald all-seasons, no traction control or sandbags fine....

4lti7ude
11-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Have you seen how many RWD cars have studded tires and all that stuff in the winter? lol.

Oldskool
11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
RWD cars are not impossible to drive in the winter, just be sure to have good winter tires, and get some weight over your rear tires (most people use sandbags)

ercchry
11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
driving a rwd car in winter takes the same car as any other car to drive in winter... only thing is if you turn and give it gas the ass will come out instead of just plowing straight ahead

962 kid
11-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

False, I drove my old 93 240sx with bald all-seasons, no traction control or sandbags fine....

Originally posted by 4lti7ude

Have you seen how many RWD cars have studded tires and all that stuff in the winter? lol.

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:rofl:

2EFNFAST
11-02-2008, 12:25 AM
This has been discussed many times. Driving RWD cars in winter should *never* be attempted by anyone without significant rally experience.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

rp_guy
11-02-2008, 02:12 AM
i think most people who replied were being sarcastic. anyway. RWD is fine, don't romp the gas on starts and curves, and buy a nice NEW set of winter tires, and it'll be fine.

RX_EVOLV
11-02-2008, 02:39 AM
my RX8 drives fine with winter tires... but definitely impossible without, no matter how skilled you are.

SetoJai
11-02-2008, 02:46 AM
get a good set of winter tires and just don't drive like a douche...:thumbsup:

ercchry
11-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
my RX8 drives fine with winter tires... but definitely impossible without, no matter how skilled you are.

you are joking right?

didnt know driving an under powered car was impossible without winter tires :rofl:

i really do not understand the issue people have... braking is the same in ANY drivetrain configuration, turning off the gas is too... and accelerating is not that big of a difference, sure awd will kick ass, but rwd and fwd difference is just a bit more weight over the driving wheels.

last winter our work vans (all rwd) had shit tires on them, like almost 0 tread left, and i only once got in a bit of trouble on a hill that was sheer ice. got stuck trying to reverse up the hill getting out of a parking spot

if the ass of the car starts to come out, get off the gas and it will come right back behind the car... but maybe that is just pure skill on my part with my cat like reflexes ;)

Grogador
11-02-2008, 03:55 AM
You will die.

Ok... go to a deserted parking lot, learn the car's balance and how the tires grip. Then just take your time and be aware of the road conditions and you might live. Just be wary of sheer ice and hills: up - ass slides out real easy, down - you can't stop but that's true for any car, maybe if you downshift real smooth...

Happy rally fun time! :nut:

max_boost
11-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Electronic stability control (check)
Winter tires (check)

You would have to be dumber than a dummy to crash this car. :facepalm:

silviak91
11-02-2008, 08:56 AM
rwd car in the winter makes you a better driver.But if you are a bad driver fwd or awd is for you then.

2000impreza
11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Just having a basic set of winter tires should be good enough for winter driving. It is no different that a FWD vehicle. Traction control is nice to have but not needed. Just go easy on the gas when it is slippery out. A couple years ago I drove a S13 through the winter with summer tires.. lol. it wasn't that bad even on the days with heavy snowfalls.

jdmSiR
11-02-2008, 09:58 AM
i drove my mk2 supra (non turbo) all of last winter, i just threw 100pds in weight in the trunk and i was just using my all seasons and i was fine.
you must have disa-prin if you want to drive rwd in the winter.

j0nblayz
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
i have driven rwd most of my life, all started with a e30 325i, first year driving that i ended up smashing it, its very different then driving a fwd, one thing to rmember is to never give gas changing lanes or turning, let it just roll thru, i was on 14th gave a little gas when changing lanes, lost control and wrote off the e30. after i got another e30 and learned how to control a rwd in snow, since then i driven e36's the rest of the time, which handled better but the same concept. This will be my first year driving a e46 in snow.. and im more then excited! also remember GET SNOW TIRES!! especially in snow, all seasons is pretty much askin for an accident! good luck

ercchry
11-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
... its very different then driving a fwd, one thing to rmember is to never give gas changing lanes or turning, let it just roll thru, i was on 14th gave a little gas when changing lanes, lost control and wrote off the e30. ...

sorry i fail to see the difference between rwd and fwd in this situation... fwd if you gave it gas you would lose all control of your steering and would plow straight ahead, thus still crashing :nut:

GTS Jeff
11-02-2008, 12:30 PM

:werd:

Man, driving RWD in the winter is impossible period. I can't believe all these ricer idiot kids try driving their RWD RHD JDM shitpiles in the winter and then talk like they're all pro drifters and rally racers. Fuck that, you idiot RWD winter drivers are the reason for all the winter accidents. If you kids had been loved a little more, the roads would be a lot safer during winter time. Fuck you.

Rocky
11-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Man, driving RWD in the winter is impossible period. I can't believe all these ricer idiot kids try driving their RWD RHD JDM shitpiles in the winter and then talk like they're all pro drifters and rally racers. Fuck that, you idiot RWD winter drivers are the reason for all the winter accidents. If you kids had been loved a little more, the roads would be a lot safer during winter time. Fuck you.
Best post in thread.

Obviously you can drive RWD in the winter. It's just a matter of if you'd want to. There's not much benefit, driving becomes much more dangerous and requires a lot more care, and if you're driving something nice (RX8 or whatever else) why would you risk 1. increased chance of accident for yourself, 2. increased chance of being hit by another poor winter driver, and 3. all the salt and ice damaging your car.

You can get an ultra cheap, ultra reliable FWD beater to get you around. That way even if something does happen, you don't have to worry about fixing up your car.

A790
11-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

You can get an ultra cheap, ultra reliable FWD beater to get you around.
Haha, "cheap and reliable" don't really go together in the same sentence :)

Pollywog
11-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you are joking right?

didnt know driving an under powered car was impossible without winter tires :rofl:

Cheap shot and thoughtless joke FTL.

cycosis
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Just go to an empty parking lot, intentionally throw your car out of control and learn how to recover. Winter driving is fun and really not that hard. Been driving RWD all my life.

And, as like most intelligent people on the board are saying, don't drive like a douche.

Rat Fink
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Casa
11-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
RWD is nothing.

Drive according to conditions, and know your car and its capabilities. Yes, its that simple.

How did people ever survive before FWD became so common?

If driving RWD vehicles in the winter is "instant death", then most of you wouldn't even be posting on this site today because your parents/grandparents/great grandparents would've been killed a long time ago!

solid post

Kloubek
11-02-2008, 02:39 PM
There is actually quite a bit of varying opinions here. Let me state mine, from someone who has owned 25 cars in his lifetime - ranging from sports, to sedans, 4X4's, to awd sport sedans.

First and foremost: Tires make a HUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE difference. With a great set of winter tires, you can drive almost anything in the winter if you're careful.

But let's assume blizzaks are out of the question, and a vehicle is equipped with all seasons.

The poster that stated RWD is harder to get going is correct. If it is icy, and especially if a car is powerful, it can be difficult to start momentum. As a result, you can experience fishtailing and sliding around. In some cases, you might not even be able to get going at all. For the most part, the sliding can be corrected if you're a good driver with that kind of thing. But it can still be a bit tricky.

With FWD, you gain initial traction earlier. However, once you are going you do not have the ability to make as dramatic of corrections if you do start to slide. RWD gives you that ability, if you know how to use it.

So in short, I guess FWD helps avoid minor fender-benders, and RWD can help you avoid major problems when going highway speed. FWD also helps you get going, whereas a RWD has a higher chance of being stranded on ice. Obviously, AWD is your best bet.

But for those who think RWD is crap in the winter: let me say this....

Many years ago I had a 2nd gen RX7. RWD, and not a heck of a lot of HP on tap. Fitted with only really good all-seasons, I was able to make it around where even 4X4s were stranded on the side of the road. Besides my AWDs and 4X4s, the RX7 was actually the best winter car I've ever owned.

The moral of that quick story is, again, to ensure you have good tires on your car. It can make all the difference.

Sorath
11-02-2008, 02:41 PM
slap on a set of winter tires and ur good

n1zm0
11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
You can get an ultra cheap, ultra reliable FWD beater to get you around. That way even if something does happen, you don't have to worry about fixing up your car.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I can't believe all these ricer idiot kids try driving their RWD RHD JDM shitpiles in the winter and then talk like they're all pro drifters and rally racers. Fuck that, you idiot RWD winter drivers are the reason for all the winter accidents. If you kids had been loved a little more, the roads would be a lot safer during winter time. Fuck you.

:werd: I see it as they couldn't wait to get their Z32's and Gts-ts (as examples, not specifically) so they blew all their money on a RWD JDM and had nothing left over for winter tires.. or even maybe.. A $1000 WINTER BEATER.

So some (not all are retards, lol) of these kids are driving a 280hp 3000lbs RWD car with cracked and weathered mismatched all season tires (at best) mounted on 17inch 'Tri force Zeldas', these are the cars that give me the pucker factor on deerfoot.

It's funny cause a set of winter tires for 17inch rims mounted and balanced will run you about $1000.. hmm the same amount as a FF winter beater.. so choose: risk crashing your summer fun car by being one of the few retards out there who drives his sports car in winter to look 'baller', or save a measly $1000 to buy a winter beater and save your 'investment/toy'

:dunno:

to the OP, i've driven RWD for 4 winters in 2 different makes and models, not impossible at all, like said above, learn the car's 'winter personality' like stopping/cornering limits in snow, i've driven an S13 and a Cressida for winter with and without winter tires, both had their own 'limits' so to speak, definitely more cautious driving in those than my winter beater teg.

Another thing that is probably only familiar to offroaders, if you are at a light and there is TONS of ice and you aren't going anywhere, start in second gear instead of first, you can better control the amount of torque and wheel spin than in first gear most of the time.

ZorroAMG
11-02-2008, 02:56 PM
OMFG...you idiots that took many of our posts serious make me laugh.

We are making FUN of you...Jeff is making fun of you.

CSMRX7
11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Pfff, I drive an SRT8 on all seasons in the winter. If you are a careful driver with half a brain you should be ok. Quite often I am passing fwd and awd cars that are stuck, a lot has to do with how you drive the car.

Sky
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I drove a Mazdaspeed Miata through the winters. Its one of the demanding cars to drive on the snow. Fun but requires 100% focus. Tail would just slide suddenly.

-winters with studs Check
-no traction control Check
-short wheel base Check

Larger RWD vehicles with traction control and narrow tread width are fine even with all seasons. When you start going wider than 225 you better get some winters.

EK 2.0
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

If driving RWD vehicles in the winter is "instant death", then most of you wouldn't even be posting on this site today because your parents/grandparents/great grandparents would've been killed a long time ago!

my parents and grandparents gew up and drive in East Africa and Pakistan...

We didn't have snow...:dunno:

Rocky
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
^ Or cars, or paved roads :D