PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Subwoofer

jadeboy
11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I am planning to upgrade my Lexus IS 350 Mark Levinson system with a used JL 12" Subwoofer with a customized enclosure - from the US. I only planned to replace the subwoofer and not the internal speakers.. I know I need to add a AMP what do I need JL 500/1? and Cleansweep? I am new to car audio system.

Graham_A_M
11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
:rofl: If you have the $11,000 Mark Levninson stereo option in your IS350, there really isn't much you can do to improve on that.

Leave alone by adding a JL 12" sub. If you're after loudness, sure you can add a 12" and an amp, but at the expense of losing sound quality. If you care at all about SQ, just leave it alone.
The interior of your car was sculptured to take full acoustic advantage of each and every speaker, and its role in the whole aura of the sound system. Replacing or adding a sub will only effect that in a negative way, (by overshadowing other speakers). You have the best OEM car audio system ever offered in any vehicle to date.
Trust me, leave it alone and be happy with it. In the end you're going to be blow several thousands of dollars "upgrading" it only to have a sub that does not fit in with the rest of the stereo system acoustics, abiet only to be "louder". :rolleyes:

But yes, the JL Clean sweep is the best way of tapping into the current system. :dunno:

I have the Carver full 10-speaker system in my Z4, it licks balls in comparison to yours, and I've met people that have blown $5k on stereo "upgrades" and it wasn't any REAL improvement over the OEM Carver set up. :banghead:
Your stereo is probably 5 times better then mine, so I can honestly say your wasting your time and money trying to improve on it with stuff as low end as JL audio.