PDA

View Full Version : Older bike inspections?

Supa Dexta
11-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm looking to pick up an older cruiser for next season, do they require insurance inspections over a certain age like cars do?

300zxfairlday
11-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I had a 1992 Ninja, my insurance made me get an inspecetion

Supa Dexta
11-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Same one a car gets? Or has to be done at a bike shop?

Masked Bandit
11-02-2008, 04:49 PM
The answer that is specific to you....

No inspection needed unless it was last registered in another province. And even then, you need it for registration, not insurance.

Supa Dexta
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok thanks MB,

Part B, if I were to buy a NS bike, can the inspection be done by a NS mechanic on an alberta form?(or does it have to be a registered alberta mechanic?) This may be tricky, basically I want to have a bike back in NS for when I'm there in the summers, but since I'm an alberta resident I can't register/insure the bike there I don't believe, since I don't hold a NS license. :nut:

How does this type of thing work, say if someone wanted to have a bike stay at a cottage in BC? (although it's easier to move the bike back and forth between BC then NS)

dannie
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
No, the inspection must be done at a licenced Alberta facility. I had a quick peek at the NS motor vehicle website and it doesn't say anything about having to be a resident to register a vehicle.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/paal/rmv/Paal271.asp

I would look into registering it in NS further. Doing the registration in Alberta would be difficult. Plus, some insurance companies will not insure your vehicle if it has been out of the province for a certain amount of time. So, if you are insured and registered in Ab, and you take it to NS for a year and dont update and happen to get into an accident, some insurance companies will consider your insurance void for not being in compliance.

Supa Dexta
11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I'll check with my mother on the NS insurance thing (shes an agent back there) I thought you couldn't get insurance when you hold a license from another province, but I'm not sure. This is a tricky situation, but snow birds live in the US for 6 months of the year, so something has to be available.

dannie
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Depends on the insurance company. For example, there are lots of insurance companies that will insure new immigrants while they continue to hold their foreign licence.

MrSector9
11-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I have seen some insurance companies that have it as mandatory, others do not care, I think there is nothing "by law" but only to please the insurance company.

Supa Dexta
11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
This is what the DMV in NS said:

Before Nova Scotia registration will be issued, we will require the out of province title to be surrendered, an application form (Form 2, Application for Ownership, Permits and Plates) to be completed, proof of insurance and appropriate fees. The fee to title a vehicle in Nova Scotia is $11.51. The registration fee is $40.25. Motorcycle plate registration is valid from January 1st through to December 31st. Once you have received your registration, you will be given 10 days to have the vehicle safety inspected in Nova Scotia.

They misunderstood that I wanted to buy an already titled NS bike, so skip that part and it seems as though it's a simple register there procedure.