PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh.... Snow on Tues.. Time for Winters?

Pihsiak
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
So I looked at the weather and it says flurries on tues....

time to swap out the summers? or do we have a few more weeks?

riced
11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
lately it's been getting pretty chilly in the mornings and sometimes during the afternoon.. even though we had a good week
It wouldn't hurt to swap them just in case the snow decides to come early, or even just dump.

Knowing Calgary, I would if I didn't have them on yet.

dimi
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I run Azenis RT-615. Pretty fucking sketchy during cold mornings. I have lowered my wheel swap time to 20 mins so they go on and off quite frequently depending on the weather conditions.

nobb
11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
It says only 1-3cm snow over 24hr, that's barely anything. Going to warm up later on in the week anyways, so Im guessing it will all melt off. I guess if you have summer tires, then you probably should change them sooner. Im running all seasons, so I think Ill wait a little longer.

CivicDXR
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
people dont realize that winter tires are not just about grip in the snow, summers become fairly useless and turn into pucks below a certain temperature... I believe its 7 degrees celcius...

all seasons become useless at around -7... most all season tires are just called all seasons for areas of mild climates, they're not really meant to handle very cold temperatures...

winter tires are more about the compound of the tire, rather than the tread of the tire...

that being said, mine have been on for about 2 weeks now to be safe since its been colder out... I'd rather change them over when its nice out, rather than have to change them when its freezing and snowing outside...

max_boost
11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I think I'm going to switch over tomorrow :D

RX_EVOLV
11-02-2008, 08:39 PM
swapped mine today.. looks like it will start snowing next next week

ottamania
11-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
swapped mine today.. looks like it will start snowing next next week

I swapped mine as well. getting ready for the snow :banghead:

badatusrnames
11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
people dont realize that winter tires are not just about grip in the snow, summers become fairly useless and turn into pucks below a certain temperature... I believe its 7 degrees celsius...

all seasons because useless at around -7... most all season tires are just called all seasons for areas of mild climates, they're not really meant to handle very cold temperatures...

winter tires are more about the compound of the tire, rather than the tread of the tire...

:werd:

ryanallan
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
mine have been on for a couple weeks now

my summers were really loosing grip below 10C . . .
especially one evening when it was -1, they were useless

i would swap yours just to safe.
you wouldn't want to understeer into a curb and ruin your summer wheels .

v2kai
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
put mine on today, my summers turn to pucks as soon as it drops below zero

n1zm0
11-02-2008, 09:02 PM
i put new observes on my winter beater about 2 weeks ago, still driving with Falken 451s on the summer car, till the bitter end! :nut:

actually one morning the glenmore resevoir overpass had a good 1.5 meter sheet of ice on it, almost pointed me towards the median

barmanjay
11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Just a few days ago I took off my 33 baja claws and put on my tiny 28" M+S's

good thing,.. even though the jeep looks funny

Sorath
11-02-2008, 09:56 PM
just swapped over to my winter rims today

BlackArcher101
11-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Personally, I always have them changed by Nov 1 or first snowfall, whichever is earlier. Weather out here is too unpredictable to rely on a forecast for warning.

However, I say if you want to drag it out... you can keep em off for now (if you don't have summer performance rubber). Have summers? Put the winters on now, as cold weather + harder compound doesn't mix.

If they are calling for a high of 0-5 degrees for the snowy days, then the snow won't accumulate on the road anyways. The road temperature is always higher than air with radiant heating from the sun. Of course this isn't as true on bridges or shaddy areas.

dino_martini
11-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Swapped last week. Summers are sitting safely wrapped in plastic in the garage.

Kavy
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Im holding out a bit longer my hakkas lasted one winter last year because of the -10 t0 +18 days we had.

My thoughts are one more week

The_Rural_Juror
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Swapped last week. Summers are sitting safely wrapped in plastic in the garage.

They would probably be better off somewhere warmer - unless your garage is heated.

Xtrema
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
people dont realize that winter tires are not just about grip in the snow, summers become fairly useless and turn into pucks below a certain temperature... I believe its 7 degrees celcius...

all seasons become useless at around -7... most all season tires are just called all seasons for areas of mild climates, they're not really meant to handle very cold temperatures...

that being said, mine have been on for about 2 weeks now to be safe since its been colder out... I'd rather change them over when its nice out, rather than have to change them when its freezing and snowing outside...

This should be stickied. People keep thinking they are for snow.

SetoJai
11-02-2008, 10:36 PM
i should go buy mine... lol

Kloubek
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM

...all seasons become useless at around -7... most all season tires

Was going to bring this up if nobody else did.

I believe it's 7 degrees OVER 0 where all seasons begin to lose grip. But that doesn't make them uselless. They just start to lose grip. Some all seasons perform half decent in the cold and snow.

So, to the OP, put the winter tires on. You aren't going to see a lot of 7+ degree weather coming up for long.

Pihsiak
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Damn better do mine in the next 2 days

dino_martini
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

They would probably be better off somewhere warmer - unless your garage is heated.

Heated garage. Nice and toasty in there :) Otherwise they would be in my basement for sure :thumbsup:

rp_guy
11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb70/rp_guy/VolvoWinter2004pg4.jpg

BlackArcher101
11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Excellent graph

cloud7
11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Does it make that much of a difference for street tires, even if they are summer tires? Having said that, I always put my race tires in the basement for the winter.

Speed_69
11-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I'll probably be putting mine on later this week or next week.

2EFNFAST
11-03-2008, 01:37 AM
summers become fairly useless and turn into pucks below a certain temperature... I believe its 7 degrees celcius...

Oh please :facepalm:

I've routinely driven 400-500RWhp (i.e., RWD) below freezing (0 to -15 probably) as long as they roads are clear - do you have less traction, absolutely, but are your tires useless pucks - no. Are you going to go sliding into guardrails because you tapped the gas - no.

See, there's this great mod called being a smart driver and knowing how to drive properly. I've never once spun out, slid on a curve, had any type of traction problem below freezing on winter tires (as long as the roads were clear - snow/sleet/slush/etc.., forget about it then, just talking perfectly clear road below freezing).

Unfortunately, this seems to be a foreign concept on here, with the 1zjzpdk4g super spoon engines that the kiddies feel they need to launch at every stoplight from 6000rpm.

Drive smartly and the only thing you have to fear with summers is snow/sleet/slush/etc....

max_boost
11-03-2008, 01:45 AM
^^

not everyone has skills like you apparently :dunno:

for the average driver, winters will make an enormous difference.

Altezza
11-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Im holding out a bit longer my hakkas lasted one winter last year because of the -10 t0 +18 days we had.

My thoughts are one more week

Perhaps drive more sensibly during the winter. My Hakkas have lasted 6 years.

dimi
11-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I've routinely driven 400-500RWhp (i.e., RWD) below freezing (0 to -15 probably) as long as they roads are clear - do you have less traction, absolutely, but are your tires useless pucks - no. Are you going to go sliding into guardrails because you tapped the gas - no.

See, there's this great mod called being a smart driver and knowing how to drive properly. I've never once spun out, slid on a curve, had any type of traction problem below freezing on winter tires (as long as the roads were clear - snow/sleet/slush/etc.., forget about it then, just talking perfectly clear road below freezing).

Unfortunately, this seems to be a foreign concept on here, with the 1zjzpdk4g super spoon engines that the kiddies feel they need to launch at every stoplight from 6000rpm.

Drive smartly and the only thing you have to fear with summers is snow/sleet/slush/etc....

:werd: I would have to agree. The only time my summers are sketchy is early mornings when they aren't warmed up. Drop the pressure from 36-38 to around 30 drive carefully for the first 5 mins while they warm up and I gurantee you will get more grip out of your summer tire. There is no way my winters will get anywhere close to the grip I have from summers at 7 degrees. Granted they have a smaller tread width, but the soft sidewall more than makes up for that. They are wicked in slush/ice/snow. Blizzak LM-60 Highly recommend. On a clear road though, man do they ever slide.

Then again if it snows while I'm at school I'm fucked.

DC2
11-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Sawpped my summers on saturday, the vehicles I drive with all seasons can wait another couple weeks or so.

5000Audi
11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
i got WR's on my car so no need to swap out :bigpimp:

Casa
11-03-2008, 08:56 AM
i've been on winters for two weeks here just cause it gets cold and summers become useless.

nobb
11-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Why do you guys store your wheels in the basement for the winter? Does storing them in the cold hurt them or something? I figure as long as you place them horizontally so no flat spots develop, then they should be fine. I did read that you should put them in bags to protect it from ozone though...which causes the rubber to dry and crack.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

2EFNFAST
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

not everyone has skills like you apparently :dunno:

for the average driver, winters will make an enormous difference.

Yo I've got teh mad skillz!

Either that or I don't throw my car around corners like it's a go-kart and I understand how the gas pedal works.

Either/or will do :drama:

Originally posted by nobb
Why do you guys store your wheels in the basement for the winter? Does storing them in the cold hurt them or something? I figure as long as you place them horizontally so no flat spots develop, then they should be fine. I did read that you should put them in bags to protect it from ozone though...which causes the rubber to dry and crack.

Place them on their sides, ontop of some wood.

Same with storing a car - drive it up on wooden boards, don't let hte tires just sit on concrete.

ShermanEF9
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by nobb

You are correct to my understanding.

blownz
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
^ what is wrong with being on concrete? Most people storing tires in the basement probably have them on concrete too. :dunno:

And as for me, I put my winters on my suv last week so I am ready, but I will keep the summers on my car as long as possible since if it snows overnight I can just drive the suv. Once the snow is here to stay (likely before the end of the month) I will put the winters on my car as well.

CivicDXR
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

wow, I bow down to the 'summer tires in winter' driving god... wow, you've driven 400-500HP cars in the winter...

but lets consider this... and you said yourself that there is less traction on summer tires...

We're both sitting at the same light stopped. Its -15 out. You're on your summers, I'm on my winters. We hear a horn behind us and both look in our rear view windows at the same time to see a vehicle sliding sideways towards us, unable to stop. We both jam the gas to get out of the way. There is only one difference between after that. I'm filling out a police report as a witness to a car accident. You're filling out a police report because you got hit because of you had less traction and could not get out of the way in time, or hit someone else cause you could not control your car.

I'm not saying that its gonna happen. I'm just a firm believer of being prepared for emergency situations due to other drivers. Yes, I'm a smart driver. Do I drive in the winter like I've got the best traction in the world? No. I still drive careful. I still take my corners carefully, and accelerate/brake at a slow place.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is more to fear in the winter than snow/sleet/slush/etc. I fear other unprepared drivers. You could be the best driver in the world, and someone could come along and hit you. So I hope you are nowhere near me when its nasty out, and an emergency situation occurs.

That is all. Carry on. :)

5G_celica
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
WHAT?!?!??! winter's here? did summer even start? :D

if I ever get back my eclipse I'll be putting on the winter tires asap.

just wondering how all terrain tires work in the snow? just bought a jimmy and it has goodyear wranglers on with >90% tread on them. I don't really want to shell out the money to buy winter tires, since I already have a car that has winter tires on them for the really bad days.

CivicDXR
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 5G_celica
WHAT?!?!??! winter's here? did summer even start? :D

if I ever get back my eclipse I'll be putting on the winter tires asap.

just wondering how all terrain tires work in the snow? just bought a jimmy and it has goodyear wranglers on with >90% tread on them. I don't really want to shell out the money to buy winter tires, since I already have a car that has winter tires on them for the really bad days.

Your A/T's are probably good for all terrains, but like I said earlier, they are built for warmer temperatures out. The compound of the tires is the difference because its harder at lower temperatures.

alloroc
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
http://wx.ca/?service=page/Forecast

It is rare that both weatherbug and environment Canada almost concur. If nothing else they both weem to guarantee the roads will be near freezing and wet. Something I dont' want to drive on with pure summers.

Think I'll swap tonight.