PDA

View Full Version : murdered while trick or treating

signature7
11-02-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.wjbf.com/jbf/news/state_regional/south_carolina/article/sumter_12_year_old_shot_killed_while_trick_or_treating/8240/

Sorry is this is a repost, did a quick search and nothing came up.

WSPA and WLTX
Published: November 2, 2008

Sumter - Details are emerging about a shooting in Sumter that left a 12-year-old child dead and two other people injured.

Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson says that 12-year old T.J. Darrisaw was killed and his step-father Freddie Grinnell and nine-year old brother Ahmadre Darrisaw were seriously injured after being shot while trick-or-treating Friday night.

Patterson says that the family of six had just finished trick-or-treating at a city of Sumter sponsored event when they decided to make a couple of stops in their neighborhood. Chief Patterson says the family stopped at a home at 215 S. Wise Drive around 8:30 p.m., where the porch light was on. The three children and father approached the home in search of candy while their mother and infant child waited nearby in a vehicle due to the cold weather. As the father and three sons approached the porch, the mother heard what she believed were firecrackers being shot.

When police arrived they found out that gunfire had erupted from inside the home, penetrated the floor, walls and windows of the home and struck 12-year old T.J. Darrisaw multiple times. The 12-year-old boy, his father and brother all were hit by the gunfire, which has been determined as being from an AK-47 assault rifle, and Darrisaw died at Tuomey Regional Medical Center a short time later. Grinnell and Ahmadre Darrisaw were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The shooting suspect, 22-year old Quentin Patrick, is being held at the Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center and has been charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill. Law enforcement officals say that Patterson has admitted to firing the AK-47 through his front door after hearing people at the front door and observing them wearing masks.

Another person, 19-year old Ericka Patrice Pee, of the same residence, was also arrested and charged with obstruction of justice after she and Patrick attempted to flee the residence following the shooting. Authorities say that Pee had $7,500 in her possession when she was apprehended.

Authorities also say that Patrick has an extensive criminal history of possession with intent to distribute and told authorities he had been shot before and was not going to be shot again. As a convicted felon he is unable to possess a firearm, but the AK 47 and a 9 mm handgun were also found inside the residence during the search of the premises.

“The investigation is continuing into what has been a very tragic evening,” Patterson said. “Our sorrow and sympathy goes out to this family.”

A neighbor said he heard a loud noise about the time of the shooting and thought it was simply Halloween mischief.

“I thought, trick-or-treat night - pranks go down. Anything goes,” said Lenwood Dixon, 49, who works at a hazardous waste and recycling company. “I heard a noise like maybe gunfire, then my daughter saw a bunch of lights flashing and saw some cops.”

In his six years in the neighborhood, he said he wasn’t aware of any violent crimes. He said a few trick-or-treaters had been on his block that night.

“I’m surprised. Since I was here, I’d never heard of anything like that happening. It’s a quiet neighborhood,” he said. “You don’t see many children in the neighborhood. It’s more elderly.”

nismodrifter
11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
That is straight messed up. Sad as hell. :(

colinxx235
11-02-2008, 11:04 PM
thats just horribly tragic...

eblend
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
about 10 years ago similar thing happened to a japanese student in USA. his host family invited him over to the house to go trick or treat, so he went to the house, but went into a wrong house and didn't speak english, and tried to get in, so the owner thought he was a robber and shot him.

edit: info on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

finboy
11-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Ericka Patrice Pee

:rofl:

TomcoPDR
11-03-2008, 02:10 AM
wow, that's fuckin' sad :cry:

Boat
11-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Man the dude thought it was the PO PO or gang members.... He must have been strung out on some drug when this happened.

sad story

Stealth22
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
This is exactly why people should not be able to own guns...let alone an AK-47 :rolleyes:

EDIT: Not to open a whole other discussion, mind you- it just seems that Americans allowed to have weapons in their home tend to get trigger happy...deep down, they probably think 'whats the point of having the thing if I can't use it?' :banghead:

mark4091
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Boat
Man the dude thought it was the PO PO or gang members.... He must have been strung out on some drug when this happened.

sad story

That's what I was thinking aswell.

EM1FTW
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
thats so fucked up.
:cry:

Doozer
11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
This is exactly why people should not be able to own guns...let alone an AK-47 :rolleyes:

EDIT: Not to open a whole other discussion, mind you- it just seems that Americans allowed to have weapons in their home tend to get trigger happy...deep down, they probably think 'whats the point of having the thing if I can't use it?' :banghead:

As a convicted felon he is unable to possess a firearm, but the AK 47 and a 9 mm handgun were also found inside the residence during the search of the premises.

He had the gun in spite of not being allowed to own one.

TKRIS
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

I don't want to derail this thread either, but if you're going to throw your point of view into the mix, I'm going to offer a counterpoint to it.

You realize that almost half the households in the states have at least 1 gun right?
That means that well over 100 million people have access to a gun in the USA.

Taking illegally owned guns out of the equation, the amount of crime commited with these legally owned guns is impressively small.

Also, almost a quarter of Canadians are gun owners, and these legally owned guns account for almost none of the current gun crime (despite what David Miller continue to erroneously claim), and in the rare instance that one of these guns is used in a crime, it's typically by a person who, by policy and letter of the law, should not have been allowed to have a gun(example: Francois Pepin).
But yeah, I know, most here have drank the Utopian Gun-Free Zone Kool-Aid and think that we can get rid of all the guns in the world, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Criminals, by definition, don't obey the law.

VVVV-Not all AK-47's are full auto.

Kloubek
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Fully auto weapons serve no purpose than to kill people. It's why they are called assault weapons. They have no place in the hands of the general public - let alone this guy who's already a convicted felon.

12 years old eh? Yeah, a 100lb 4'10 kid is sure gonna put a scare on me with a mask.

Fucking idiot. I hope they have the death penalty there.

DonJuan
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
RIP.

What a fucking idiot.

signature7
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I read about the Japanese exchange student. That's sad too. RIP. I actually don't know many people who own a firearm. Then again, I don't go asking around, a quarter of Canadians surprised me though.

HP2133
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
This is not North America of the 1950s where perhaps people would be friendly, open doors and welcome you with open arms. Caution advised for next year

signature7
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23427

About 4 posts down.

I guess I am naive, I don't know how I would feel if I owned a gun. Probably not safer, since there would be a reason for me owning one.

badatusrnames
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I agree that no one has any reason what so ever to own a fully automatic assault rifle. That being said, oftentimes it's illegal guns that are the problem and as we all know owning a gun illegally is already illegal. Responsible gun owners are generally unfairly punished and to little end.

For Americans, there seems to be this bizarre, trigger happy siege mentality - all part of their "right to bear arms" culture. Like was pointed out earlier, a large proportion of Canadians (or Finns or Swiss for that matter) have guns in their home. But they don't seem to keep them under their pillow just itching for the opportunity to unload on someone like Americans do. Although of course, the Swiss are a little different in that bullets are controlled and guns really aren't.

We've got several guns in our home, but they are tucked away in the basement with the bolts removed mostly collecting dust. They are working guns, used for hunting. If I had a robber in my home, there is no way I'd have time to shoot or have the inclination to do so. I'd want to hurt him very badly, but I think taking a life for something as trivial (in the grand picture) as a B&E isn't right.

Kloubek
11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
^^^ good post.

I have to bring up the old addage that it's not guns that kill people - and that people kill people.

With that said, I would have no issue with a gun tucked away in my closet. And you better believe that I'd use it too if I had to.

But at the same time, I would not pull it out because someone was knocking at my door either. It's the difference between being a human with actual emotions and being a psycho loser that's the key here. The fact he had an AK only meant he got to kill and injure more than he would have if he was holding a bolt-action rifle.

Illegal guns are a problem - yes, of course. But you're ALLOWED to own things like that down there. And that's where the majority of the illegal guns come from - home robberies. It's not like the Vietnamese are trying to make a buck selling North America their overstock. ;)

EvolutionI
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
In the Japanese exchange student case, the wife was just as much to blame as the husband. I guarantee she over exaggerated the situation, and he bought into her paranoia. Even then, how could the jury acquit him? he shot someone on Halloween, why the fuck are either of them still living?

anarchy
11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by eblend
about 10 years ago similar thing happened to a japanese student in USA. his host family invited him over to the house to go trick or treat, so he went to the house, but went into a wrong house and didn't speak english, and tried to get in, so the owner thought he was a robber and shot him.

edit: info on this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshihiro_Hattori

I read the story in the OP, and that is really tragic indeed. And same with the Japanese student...I find it incredibly hard to believe they thought he was a threat after ringing the doorbell, and walking away towards the car.

Incredible....

badatusrnames
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
^^ What is even more shocking is that the guy was acquitted...

Antonito
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
^^ What is even more shocking is that the guy was acquitted...

Not really shocking, it was in Louisiana. They'd rather let a thousand murderers free than ever have to give up their right to shoot anyone that steps on their lawn :facepalm:

SCHIDER23
11-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Poor kid RIP, this is a really sad story, I remember the japanese kid poor guy and the fucker got no jail time because of the damn burglar law :thumbsdow

TKRIS
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree that no one has any reason what so ever to own a fully automatic assault rifle. That being said, oftentimes it's illegal guns that are the problem and as we all know owning a gun illegally is already illegal. Responsible gun owners are generally unfairly punished and to little end.

For Americans, there seems to be this bizarre, trigger happy siege mentality - all part of their "right to bear arms" culture. Like was pointed out earlier, a large proportion of Canadians (or Finns or Swiss for that matter) have guns in their home. But they don't seem to keep them under their pillow just itching for the opportunity to unload on someone like Americans do. Although of course, the Swiss are a little different in that bullets are controlled and guns really aren't.

Actually, if my stats show anything, it's that people with this opinion about "gun happy americans" are guilty of observational selection.
Given the amount of guns in the US, it's incredibly rare that something like you've described happens. You just think it happens all the time because whenever it does a lot of people repeat the "Trigger Happy Stupid Americans" mantra over and over again.

We've got several guns in our home, but they are tucked away in the basement with the bolts removed mostly collecting dust. They are working guns, used for hunting. If I had a robber in my home, there is no way I'd have time to shoot or have the inclination to do so. I'd want to hurt him very badly, but I think taking a life for something as trivial (in the grand picture) as a B&E isn't right.

With all due respect: Fuck that bullshit.
You break into my house, you're threatening my life, and the life of my family, and will meet whatever force is neccessary to make sure nothing happens to them. I'm not going to intentionally put myself at a disadvantage because I'm scared that my victim complex will burden me with guilt for killing some piece of shit that could have killed my family.

Whatever is required, up to AND INCLUDING lethal force. The law is written like that for a reason.

Originally posted by Kloubek
Illegal guns are a problem - yes, of course. But you're ALLOWED to own things like that down there. And that's where the majority of the illegal guns come from - home robberies. It's not like the Vietnamese are trying to make a buck selling North America their overstock.

Wrong and wrong.
Fully automatic rifles have been prohibited since 1934. With the proper qualifications, and permission (granted on a case by case basis), it's possible for someone to be approved to own these types of firearms in certain states, but for all intents and purposes, they're banned, and have been for 74 years.
Stolen guns, by all estimates, account for a very very small percentage of the illegal guns on the street.
The majority are purchased through "straw purchasers" for bulk traffickers who then sell them to criminals.
Another large portion does indeed come from traffickers who smuggle the guns in from overseas.

You and David Miller appear to be pulling your answers from the same ass, errr, I mean hat...
;)

bubbley
11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
:confused: :cry: