PDA

View Full Version : Bsen 395

aklalani
11-02-2008, 11:02 PM
hey guys. got the bsen 395 midterm tomorrow. prof said it would be mc, short answer and 1 case question. just wondering if you guys have any tips on studying for it? we get a cheat sheet double sided which is nice.

sneek
11-03-2008, 12:51 AM
haha I am writing this tomorrow as well. I too am wondering what it will be like.

Boat
11-03-2008, 02:46 AM
nice asking a day before...
hahaha
-know all the breaches to contract (we had a table format question with a small situation and you have to list the breach and explain it)
-know the charter of rights and freedoms s91 s92
-know the components to a contract ( give you a mini case and you have to state whether or not its a legal contract based on each of the components and you have to to justify why for each.)
-gotta know that misrepresentation stuff? if im correct

so this was W08 i believe , things could be diff.
hope this helps, cant remember much more.

rant
if you ask me its bullshit because the graders are looking for a certain "right" answer and our profs said they would make it clear what they were looking for, but did NOT at all. They all act like lawyers and instead of asking a question straight up they put this confusing shit and you have NO idea wtf they want
/rant

i heard the profs said if you can explain yourself then you are fine but that wasnt the case for the MALACHs last year.

aklalani
11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
and all those things i have on my cheat sheet so i should be good to go. i should just know where everything is on my sheet and ill be golden. hopefully. i have rob malach but he had a heart procedure and now i got this bafoon for a prof. knows nothing about the course.

sneek
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by aklalani
and all those things i have on my cheat sheet so i should be good to go. i should just know where everything is on my sheet and ill be golden. hopefully. i have rob malach but he had a heart procedure and now i got this bafoon for a prof. knows nothing about the course.

who do you have ?

aklalani
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
i had robert malach. but now hes recovering so i got Mr.Ho. midterm is the same for everyone though. i heard sandra malach is teaching roberts other classes just not ours :(

Boat
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
good luck guys!!

Boat
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
dimi your mailbox is full lol

its based on the infringement of rights and the only way the infringement is warranted if it is "demonstrably justifiable in a free and democratic society"

if you dont remember those quotations in class you probably dont have to know it, they could have changed it from last year.

sneek
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I am not sure what to think of that test...I didn't have 10 points for that written...I just brain dumped all that I could remember from the text book case study, as well as a bunch of stuff about contracts. I really feel like I didn't write enough down, but was unsure about what to ramble on about after that.

dimi
11-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Man that shit was easy. Well you should have seen my cheat sheet. I read the EXACT same case in the book somewhere when I was preparing so that was cool. The only thing I didn't know was the dissolution to partnerships but I bet I got 3/5 on those cause I threw out so many guesses.

Thanks Boat. I looked at the Constitution Section 91 and 92 LOL. They talked about the distribution of power between federal and provincial levels, so I thought you meant Constitution cause those sections are bang on what we learned. But anyway it wasn't anything like that.

19 very easy MC. Like man some of them were free. 3 choices out of which 2 were a joke.

1 written about Statutory Assignment
1 written about dissolution of partnerships

The case wasn't as tough as some that I did in the book. I bet a lot of people will get caught on the last ? in the case where there was a mutual mistake in the contract to start with.

I gotta say this wasn't as hard as some of the previous midterms. Understandably so though, since the unfortunate leave of Rob Malach it is hard to examine everyone on what they should have learned in class.

Lets hope Rob is getting better. I miss the guy

aklalani
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I am not sure what to think of that test...I didn't have 10 points for that written...I just brain dumped all that I could remember from the text book case study, as well as a bunch of stuff about contracts. I really feel like I didn't write enough down, but was unsure about what to ramble on about after that.

yea i felt the same about the case. mc were stupidly easy. even the dissolution of partnerships. i just couldnt think of many specific points for the case. oh well. we should do fine

sneek
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I could be wrong but marks might be up in the overall grades for BSEN.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I could be wrong but marks might be up in the overall grades for BSEN.

The marks have not been posted as of yet. :werd:

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought I aced the damn thing but it turned out I only got 78% :banghead:

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by kystrix
I thought I aced the damn thing but it turned out I only got 78% :banghead:

Where did you find your grade because when I went into the grades for BSEN it just shows me my quiz mark.

thats still a B+ in this class and we still have 2 quizes and a final to go.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by mina_03

Where did you find your grade because when I went into the grades for BSEN it just shows me my quiz mark.

thats still a B+ in this class and we still have 2 quizes and a final to go.

It is under the line that's out of 140. Take whatever it says you have in that line, subtract your two quizzes' grades and that should be your midterm mark, out of 50 if I remember correctly.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM

It is under the line that's out of 140. Take whatever it says you have in that line, subtract your two quizzes' grades and that should be your midterm mark, out of 50 if I remember correctly.

Mine still has only the quiz marks. What lecture are you in. Maybe its because were in different lectures or something.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Mine still has only the quiz marks. What lecture are you in. Maybe its because were in different lectures or something.

I'm in lecture 3 with Sandra Malach.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM

I'm in lecture 3 with Sandra Malach.

I'm in Lecture 2 with Sandra Malach. I guess I'll have to wait. Now that I think about it I think I probaly didn't ace it like I thought I did. :facepalm:

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM

I'm in Lecture 2 with Sandra Malach. I guess I'll have to wait. Now that I think about it I think I probaly didn't ace it like I thought I did. :facepalm:

I think it might be the case analysis that I screwed up on...'cause the MC was easy and I had the answers to the written on my cheat sheet...I guess I really couldn't think of 10 and 8 things to write about the situation :dunno:

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM

I think it might be the case analysis that I screwed up on...'cause the MC was easy and I had the answers to the written on my cheat sheet...I guess I really couldn't think of 10 and 8 things to write about the situation :dunno:

I didn't write 10 or 8 either. The multiple choice was pretty easy. and the other written questions weren't hard either. I think I'm proably going to get screwed over on the case too.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:41 PM

I didn't write 10 or 8 either. The multiple choice was pretty easy. and the other written questions weren't hard either. I think I'm proably going to get screwed over on the case too.

We have a quiz on Thursday too...and I think Sandra probably made the quiz? I miss Rob.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:44 PM

We have a quiz on Thursday too...and I think Sandra probably made the quiz? I miss Rob.

she probaly did. I just hope we don't get screwed over. Ahh Sandra is kinda weird sometimes. i miss rob too.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 08:47 PM

she probaly did. I just hope we don't get screwed over. Ahh Sandra is kinda weird sometimes. i miss rob too.

Hmm...she's...aggressive? I don't know if that's the right word for it but you know what I mean. I can totally see her making a really difficult quiz just to even out the first two quizzes and how easy they were.

And I also get my MKTG midterm back this week. Looks like I'm off to a great start :rolleyes:

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Hmm...she's...aggressive? I don't know if that's the right word for it but you know what I mean. I can totally see her making a really difficult quiz just to even out the first two quizzes and how easy they were.

And I also get my MKTG midterm back this week. Looks like I'm off to a great start :rolleyes:

ya I know what you mean. She's really akward sometimes. I can see her doing that. That's why I studied my butt off this reading week just for this quiz.

I really want to see my midterm grade for this class... even though I know I screwed it up.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 09:02 PM

ya I know what you mean. She's really akward sometimes. I can see her doing that. That's why I studied my butt off this reading week just for this quiz.

I really want to see my midterm grade for this class... even though I know I screwed it up.

Odd that you don't have the mark yet, I thought they just upload an excel sheet to blackboard and all the marks show up.

I guess I will have to study my butt off for the final...although I tend to do the worst on the final that's last on my schedule.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Odd that you don't have the mark yet, I thought they just upload an excel sheet to blackboard and all the marks show up.

I guess I will have to study my butt off for the final...although I tend to do the worst on the final that's last on my schedule.

Rob told us that BB upgraded there software and UofC doesn't have the software that is comptiable with it anymore so they have to go in manually and add in grades.

I wouldn't mind a final like the midterm. That would rule. Sandra is probaly going to make it all written, that are just cases.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Rob told us that BB upgraded there software and UofC doesn't have the software that is comptiable with it anymore so they have to go in manually and add in grades.

I wouldn't mind a final like the midterm. That would rule. Sandra is probaly going to make it all written, that are just cases.

Then I pray that they made a typo when they entered my grade :nut:

I'm curious about the correct answer for the case. From everyone I've talked to, no one seemed to know 10/8 things for it.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 09:15 PM

I'm curious about the correct answer for the case. From everyone I've talked to, no one seemed to know 10/8 things for it.

I couldn't think of that many either. I stated the issues, talked about what an offer is, when it is accepted, all the revocation issues, and what would happen if the case went to court. I just hope Rob was involved with the marking process.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM

I couldn't think of that many either. I stated the issues, talked about what an offer is, when it is accepted, all the revocation issues, and what would happen if the case went to court. I just hope Rob was involved with the marking process.

I pretty much wrote about those as well...
Since Rob made the midterm, I'd imagine he also made the answer key...although I'm not sure how lenient the markers were, considering they are all lawyers/law students...

mina_03
11-11-2008, 09:40 PM

I pretty much wrote about those as well...
Since Rob made the midterm, I'd imagine he also made the answer key...although I'm not sure how lenient the markers were, considering they are all lawyers/law students...

thats totally true. Some mark hardcore whereas some are easy. I wish the profs would just mark the midterm themselves.

kystrix
11-11-2008, 09:52 PM

thats totally true. Some mark hardcore whereas some are easy. I wish the profs would just mark the midterm themselves.

Yeah...I mark some exams myself (I can't say for which class...) and the markers are inconsistent as hell. Some people don't bother checking what they got wrong, especially for a final, but it's highly likely that they could argue for some marks.

al-ti2d
11-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I have BSEN 395 next semester... but I have it with a Peter Clarence Bowal.
He has horrible comments on ratemyprof.com so i'm a bit scared.. does anyone have any experience with him?

sneek
11-12-2008, 10:26 PM

werd

I just rambled on and copied a ton of stuff form my cheat sheet, and it still didn't feel like enough!

aklalani
11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
quiz was a fricken joke. finished in 3 mins.

mina_03
11-17-2008, 12:52 AM
quiz was a fricken joke. finished in 3 mins.

I know what you mean. It was way easier than robs quizzes.. maybe because I studied this time. lol

kystrix
11-17-2008, 01:30 AM

I know what you mean. It was way easier than robs quizzes.. maybe because I studied this time. lol

It was alright, but I didn't think it was as easy as Rob's. I liked quiz 2 when Rob never taught us anything that was on that quiz until 5 minutes before the quiz, and then essentially told us the exact answers.

WTF is the Torrens System?

mina_03
11-17-2008, 11:22 AM

It was alright, but I didn't think it was as easy as Rob's. I liked quiz 2 when Rob never taught us anything that was on that quiz until 5 minutes before the quiz, and then essentially told us the exact answers.

WTF is the Torrens System?

I have no cluse, but the answer was meridian, (I asked Dr. Ho after the quiz.) it was a total quess but I got it right. lol

kystrix
11-17-2008, 06:28 PM

I have no cluse, but the answer was meridian, (I asked Dr. Ho after the quiz.) it was a total quess but I got it right. lol

I guess they probably took that one off.
How did you do on the midterm?

mina_03
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM

I guess they probably took that one off.
How did you do on the midterm?

hahaha... I got only a B.:facepalm:. You kicked my butt. I wa sick that day and I didn't want to write the deferred because I was afraid it would be harder, but once I think about it, I probaly should have. Hoping for a minimum of A- in the class.

I probaly got killed on the questions from chapter 17 and 18 cause I never bothered read those chapters.

kystrix
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM

hahaha... I got only a B.:facepalm:. You kicked my butt. I wa sick that day and I didn't want to write the deferred because I was afraid it would be harder, but once I think about it, I probaly should have. Hoping for a minimum of A- in the class.

I probaly got killed on the questions from chapter 17 and 18 cause I never bothered read those chapters.

It's okay, it wasn't just you...
When the marks for our lectures were up....no one believed that it was correct just because everyone did HORRIBLE. Someone asked Mr. Ho about it and even he said it probably wasn't our entire grade for the midterm. Everyone was so relieved but I guess now the marks are official and we did all just do really bad.

I find it unbelievable that I got a better mark in MKTG than BSEN :nut:

mina_03
11-18-2008, 06:42 PM

It's okay, it wasn't just you...
When the marks for our lectures were up....no one believed that it was correct just because everyone did HORRIBLE. Someone asked Mr. Ho about it and even he said it probably wasn't our entire grade for the midterm. Everyone was so relieved but I guess now the marks are official and we did all just do really bad.

I find it unbelievable that I got a better mark in MKTG than BSEN :nut:

Everyone in my class is horribly pissed off about the midterm, appernetly for the case, you had to have one particular line in your answer to be given full marks which as" The offer was void because ____________, had not accepted the offer.

I know people that failed the class. About more than half the class is going to appeal their grades. I think Sandra just marked them harder because the midterm was alot easier than previous midterms, she got into an argument in class today with someone, because she told us that if you appeal your grade, she will regrade everything and will be harder than the markers, and a guy was like why are you trying to intimidate us.

God, makes me wonder what is going to happen for the final.

sneek
11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
WTF...I just checked my mark, and now I only have quiz marks now.

kystrix
11-18-2008, 07:58 PM

Everyone in my class is horribly pissed off about the midterm, appernetly for the case, you had to have one particular line in your answer to be given full marks which as" The offer was void because ____________, had not accepted the offer.

I know people that failed the class. About more than half the class is going to appeal their grades. I think Sandra just marked them harder because the midterm was alot easier than previous midterms, she got into an argument in class today with someone, because she told us that if you appeal your grade, she will regrade everything and will be harder than the markers, and a guy was like why are you trying to intimidate us.

God, makes me wonder what is going to happen for the final.

K I had the EXACT ANSWER given in the answer key, worded 99% the same way, plus extra reasons why it's that way and I still didn't get full marks.

I'm really scared to appeal it because of what she said in class....

But seriously though, Sandra said she won't go over the midterm with us so how are we supposed to know what they are looking for to improve on the final?

mina_03
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM

K I had the EXACT ANSWER given in the answer key, worded 99% the same way, plus extra reasons why it's that way and I still didn't get full marks.

I'm really scared to appeal it because of what she said in class....

But seriously though, Sandra said she won't go over the midterm with us so how are we supposed to know what they are looking for to improve on the final?

I know what you mean, The way rob taught us how to do the written totally contradicts what they were looking for. He said list the main issues and then explain them and after that write what would happen if the case went to court. blahh.....

Shes not willing to go over the exam, if you want her to go over it with you to know if you should appeal it or not, but she is willing to go over it with you if it is to see how you can improve. (you can book appointment after the appeal period)

I'm going to go check my midterm tomorrow and see where they took off marks. If its mainly for the case I'm going to go appeal it. (she can't mark harder on the multiple choice, and not on the written if you had word for word what it says in the text... cheat sheet) so if its just the case, and your answers match the answer key then theirs nothing to lose.

she said the class average was 70%... half the people I know taking the class failed (in the d+ to f range)

kystrix
11-18-2008, 09:16 PM

I know what you mean, The way rob taught us how to do the written totally contradicts what they were looking for. He said list the main issues and then explain them and after that write what would happen if the case went to court. blahh.....

Shes not willing to go over the exam, if you want her to go over it with you to know if you should appeal it or not, but she is willing to go over it with you if it is to see how you can improve. (you can book appointment after the appeal period)

I'm going to go check my midterm tomorrow and see where they took off marks. If its mainly for the case I'm going to go appeal it. (she can't mark harder on the multiple choice, and not on the written if you had word for word what it says in the text... cheat sheet) so if its just the case, and your answers match the answer key then theirs nothing to lose.

she said the class average was 70%... half the people I know taking the class failed (in the d+ to f range)

I haven't talked to a single person who scored in the 80s or 90s that could've pulled the average up....

You should go check it early, 'cause there were a lot of people waiting for their exams at all times today...but that could've been because today was the first day.

The secretary was saying that she hasn't ever seen so many students show up and complain about their grades.

sneek
11-27-2008, 03:58 PM
WOW I reviewed my midterm today and that was some strange marking. Somehow on the written one I got 4/10, and I thought my answer had all the components of the key...The key was 3 sentences.... I guess my marker hates me.

mdeluxe
11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I found the final alot easier then the midterm, good luck!:clap:

kystrix
11-27-2008, 08:56 PM
WOW I reviewed my midterm today and that was some strange marking. Somehow on the written one I got 4/10, and I thought my answer had all the components of the key...The key was 3 sentences.... I guess my marker hates me.

Yeah, everyone I know appealed. The secretary said that there are so many requests that Sandra will probably get Rob to re-mark them. God I sure hope so!

sneek
11-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Yeah, everyone I know appealed. The secretary said that there are so many requests that Sandra will probably get Rob to re-mark them. God I sure hope so!
Thank god. haha you can tell who wears the pants in that relationship...one is CLEARLY dominant

kystrix
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Thank god. haha you can tell who wears the pants in that relationship...one is CLEARLY dominant

Well, today Sandra couldn't find chalk in the classroom, so she decided to write on the blackboard using a finger and spit. That was amusing.

dimi
11-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Yea and when I talked to Sandra, she said that all of the midterms she has remarked so far have been reduced (EDIT: This could be for another class of hers. I just asked her if it is worth it to appeal). So I don't know man. I felt like I deserved a few more, but would you take the chance? I wouldn't. If you have a real good point then sure, otherwise for nitpicks you will end up far worse than where you started off. My 2c

kystrix
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dimi

Yea and when I talked to Sandra, she said that all of the midterms she has remarked so far have been reduced (EDIT: This could be for another class of hers. I just asked her if it is worth it to appeal). So I don't know man. I felt like I deserved a few more, but would you take the chance? I wouldn't. If you have a real good point then sure, otherwise for nitpicks you will end up far worse than where you started off. My 2c

Hmm...when did you ask her? I talked to the secretary on Tuesday and none of the midterms were re-marked as of that time, and that was the last day of appeals.

dimi
11-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Well like I said that could have been for another class of hers, but what she said is that usually she marks down as she is not as lenient as the law students that mark them. :dunno: She was marking something as she told me to come back later to see her as she had a train of thought going.

Either way, Rob was there when the deferred quiz was written, so you guys might get your wish :thumbsup:

k_dawg
12-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Does anyone know if we are allowed a 8x11 sheet of paper again for the finals? It didn't really help me in the midterm but meh.

aklalani
12-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by k_dawg
Does anyone know if we are allowed a 8x11 sheet of paper again for the finals? It didn't really help me in the midterm but meh.

yea were allowed the sheet again. i duno if any of u have seen it but Sandra just posted on blackboard saying the final is gona be 100mc questions and thats it. no wr. anybody know about this? i mean its good news but still. kinda last minute

kystrix
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM

yea were allowed the sheet again. i duno if any of u have seen it but Sandra just posted on blackboard saying the final is gona be 100mc questions and thats it. no wr. anybody know about this? i mean its good news but still. kinda last minute

Yeah that was pretty surprising. She probably got tired of all the appeals and doesn't want to mark even more appeals during Christmas. Everyone I know who appealed the midterm got a higher mark.

I hope there won't be any stupid questions like, "How is the act relating to trademarks spelt". That question on the quiz pissed off a lot of people.

And Sandra said in class that there won't be any questions on insurance law or oil & gas.

dimi
12-10-2008, 06:33 PM

Yeah that was pretty surprising. She probably got tired of all the appeals and doesn't want to mark even more appeals during Christmas. Everyone I know who appealed the midterm got a higher mark.

I guess they really did fuck up the marking. 100 MC is awesome news.

aklalani
12-11-2008, 01:51 AM

I hope there won't be any stupid questions like, "How is the act relating to trademarks spelt". That question on the quiz pissed off a lot of people.

And Sandra said in class that there won't be any questions on insurance law or oil & gas.

are u absolutely certain that there wont be? our prof Dr.Ho said there will be and hes writing the final with Sandra.

kystrix
12-11-2008, 08:42 AM

are u absolutely certain that there wont be? our prof Dr.Ho said there will be and hes writing the final with Sandra.

Yeah, my friends who are registered in Sandra's lecture went to the guy's lecture last Thursday and asked him after class about it. Apparently he was like..."I'm not aware of this, but Sandra is the area chair so if you have any questions at all about those two chapters, don't worry about asking."

Other people from Sandra's lectures can verify?

(Sandra didn't even teach those two topics in her lectures)

aklalani
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah, my friends who are registered in Sandra's lecture went to the guy's lecture last Thursday and asked him after class about it. Apparently he was like..."I'm not aware of this, but Sandra is the area chair so if you have any questions at all about those two chapters, don't worry about asking."

Other people from Sandra's lectures can verify?

(Sandra didn't even teach those two topics in her lectures)

good to hear. i wasnt at the lectures for those topics. lol