PDA

View Full Version : Speaker box inside spare tire well

5gluder
08-12-2002, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

Thanks

sexualbanana
08-12-2002, 01:00 PM
mine was done by audio concepts

jaylo
08-12-2002, 02:29 PM
tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...

5gluder
08-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
tape measure how deep and how wide the spare tire compartment is...

ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?

jaylo
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?

D'z Nutz
08-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder

ummm yeah, but how would i figure out the volume of the box?

Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...

5gluder
08-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Are you making a rectangular box and fitting it into the tire well?? If so, length * width * height (of box internals) all divided by 1728. Don't forget to subtract the speaker displacement if you're trying to get an accurate internal volume of the box with the speaker installed...

Thanks, but i'm actually thinking of making a box that would contour the inside of the tire well.

5gluder
08-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
you mean the actual volume you need? Or just any volume?

I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.

D'z Nutz
08-12-2002, 10:21 PM
If that's the case, I think it could be:

(pi * radius^2 * height)/1728

I *think* that's it, but don't quote me on it

James
08-13-2002, 04:57 AM
Do the demensions actually matter *that* much?:confused: I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space. :dunno:

D'z Nutz
08-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by James
Do the demensions actually matter *that* much?:confused: I bought the car after the install was done, but on my Passat the wheel well was used for a 15"Sub inclosure and im pretty sure it wasnt perfectly symetrical, it was off center alot, and the amp took up some of the space. :dunno:

As far as I know, they don't. It's the internal volume of the box that matters.

GT2NV
08-13-2002, 10:28 AM

I need to know how to figure out the volume of box i plan to build, since it's not a perfect box i need to know how to go about figuring out it's volume.

if you buy jl audio subs you can put em pretty much anywhere and they'll sound really good, id definatly reccomend them for in the spare tire well:thumbsup: a couple of guys at a&b sound had them fiberglassed in there and sounded 2 times better than any other sub installed in the well:)

TomTom
08-13-2002, 05:07 PM
ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"

5gluder
08-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by TomTom
ok first off are you talking fiberglass or wood? i have never heard of anyone using wood, mabey i dont open my ears enough

if you want to see a fiberglass box i could show you either of my cars. ones a single 12" and the other is 2-10"

I thinking of using MDF board. I have no real idea of the designs on these boxes. I'm looking for some insight as to weather i can do this myself. I assumed that a person can use either fiberglass or wood, but i only assumed.

Dope Dealer
08-13-2002, 11:10 PM
On the RSX Type-S, they have a Bose sub in the wheel well. Too bad it isnt that good of an sub. :)

OMOYYC
08-13-2002, 11:39 PM
There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry! :thumbsup:

Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

Hope this helps!

I'm thinking about putting a box inside my spare tire well. I have a 98 Prelude and i'm planning on putting a 12" sub where my spare tire currently sits. How does a person go about figuring out the volume/size of the box?

Thanks

Pizza Guy
08-14-2002, 02:35 PM
I have 2 10` JL`s in my spare tire compartment in my S -- the install looks great and its nice to have a hatch again... I had it all installed so I couldn`t tell you alot other than the security is great with the back seats down with nothing to see in the hatch....

5gluder
08-14-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Cwave
There is a really easy way to find out the volume of your tirewell. I had to do it in one of my previous cars when I had the fiberglass box done.

Just get those popcorn stuffing (the ones you find from shipping packages) and fill your tirewell with that. You can choose to use real popcorn if you're REALLY hungry! :thumbsup:

Once you have done that, remove all of the popcorn and measure with something with measurement such as a blender or something. The easiest thing to use is a box that's 1 ft cube, possibly made out of cardboard.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that's a really good idea :thumbsup:

5gluder
08-15-2002, 06:20 PM
It really isn't that hard to do. Here's a site that helped me out, http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7165/how_to_1.htm

eur0
08-15-2002, 07:59 PM
I just bought some fiberglass and fiberglass resin and im gonna give a custom sub enclosure a shot, im still trying to come up with something that will look cool hehe...Ill keep u guys updated on how it goes

redline_13000
08-22-2002, 02:38 AM
heres a site if u still need it..down to the bottom

OMOYYC
08-22-2002, 09:16 AM
What site?

Originally posted by redline_13000
heres a site if u still need it..down to the bottom

redline_13000
08-22-2002, 09:44 PM
shit dude..dont know how the hell that happened..i lost that site though, i was on a differemt computer sorry...try www.soundillusions.net