PDA

View Full Version : Placement Agencies

Ca_Silvia13
11-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Anyone use one and have decent results or do they only really find day labourers. Im at a crossroads with my current job and have never had any luck with job postings online or in the Hearld. Im looking for management/supervisor/account management/sales positions.

ExtraSlow
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.advantagetech.com/careertransition-calgaryheadhunters.htm

This is a list of calgary headhunters and a quick description.
Keep in mind that if you are entry level or intermidiate, some of these agencies won't put much effort into placing you.

Even with all of these, the best way to get a job is word of mouth. Do you know people in the industry you are trying to break into?

Good luck.

bubbley
11-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Richard Klopp and Associates...no of a few ppl that gave gotten jobs through them including myself :thumbsup:

adam c
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Maxim was awesome for me

Pacman
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
I've used Lock and Associates and Summit Search Group in the past for sales positions.

black_2.5RS
11-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I've used a bunch of recruiters and have found them to be a waste of time. I would say that if your job is very niche - recruiters won't help you and you need to tap your own personal networks EVEN more so. What kinda job are you looking for?

I find that recruiters will work for the companies they are recruiting for (obviously since they are paying the bills) - so they don't have your best interest in mind when sending you positions....no matter how crystal clear you are in what you're looking for.

I would say, try them out - pick some bigger ones but don't expect much and really hit your own networks hard. You'll be surprised how many people you know or people willing to help you so they can get a recruiting bonus.

Pacman
11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
I've used a bunch of recruiters and have found them to be a waste of time. I would say that if your job is very niche - recruiters won't help you and you need to tap your own personal networks EVEN more so. What kinda job are you looking for?

I find that recruiters will work for the companies they are recruiting for (obviously since they are paying the bills) - so they don't have your best interest in mind when sending you positions....no matter how crystal clear you are in what you're looking for.

I would say, try them out - pick some bigger ones but don't expect much and really hit your own networks hard. You'll be surprised how many people you know or people willing to help you so they can get a recruiting bonus.

I think this really depends on the type of recruiter you are using and the types of searches they specialize in.

I have been using the same two search firms for 8 years and have 100% confidence that they will only send me on job interviews that are vertical moves in both career development and compensation.

There are good recruiters out there who are professional and act on behalf of both the candidate and the client. Keep in mind, if they place a candidate who ends up being unhappy and leaving within 6-12 months, it reflects poorly on the recruiter/firm and they still "owe" the client a good candidate.