PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting an integra...

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
the one im looking at requires a little work, but i wanna run it past the integra gurus, because the guy thats seling it knows nothing about the car. its a 95 2 door automatic with leather, so from what i found on google, this could be the SE if im not mistaken., i cant remember if it has a sunroof.

im sure its the 1.8 but not sure if it has vtec. now, i only drove it about a block since it wasnt insured so i only got into 2nd gear, and it shifted a little harder than i would consider normal. it also has the maintenance required light on, so im thinking it could be a bunch of different reasons why thats on.

its got konig 17" wheels, a shitty bodykit that will need replacing, he said its never been in an accident, but its been repainted clearly at least on some spots. there is a dent on the driver QP that looks like it can be pulled out easily, but its decently big.

the plastic piece in the hatch that covers the tail lights is gone and the speaker grills in the doors are gone too. the guy wants 3300 OBO for it and i would never pay that. judging by the amount of things that it needs, for this amount of money, would it be necessary for my to do carproof? or are these just minor things that can be fixed decently cheap? sorry for the long post, but thought id give all the info so there would be less questions.

LadyLuck
11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, if its FREE then go for it :D

rc2002
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
The missing panels can be found for cheap - there are always parts Integras floating around.

Maintenance required is just a timer that lets you know when to service the car. It's not the same as the check engine light.

The motor will say VTEC right on the valve cover if it has VTEC. Only the GSR came with a VTEC motor in that year.

Seems reasonably priced for what you're getting. I would not buy an automatic Integra though. I test drove a low mileage 2001 with a strong engine and didn't like how it shifted. It felt sluggish, shifted hard and had strange shift points.

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
im expecting to hear things like that, because i nthe post it kinda sounds liek its a shitbox, but realistically what do you guys think?

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The missing panels can be found for cheap - there are always parts Integras floating around.

Maintenance required is just a timer that lets you know when to service the car. It's not the same as the check engine light.

The motor will say VTEC right on the valve cover if it has VTEC. Only the GSR came with a VTEC motor in that year.

Seems reasonably priced for what you're getting. I would not buy an automatic Integra though. I test drove a low mileage 2001 with a strong engine and didn't like how it shifted. It felt sluggish, shifted hard and had strange shift points.

definitely didnt have vtec on the valve cover. thanks for the input on the auto, the only reason for auto is my wife being a douche and cant drive 5 speed, so im stuck. it did feel sluggish and shifted hard, but im not sure if its normal or not.

EDIT: the mileage is around 223k and apparently the waterpump and timing belt have been done.

drtoohotty1
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

the only reason for auto is my wife being a douche and cant drive 5 speed,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I Lol'd

Errol.
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
If its leather and has a sunroof and not vtec, its probally a GS. Im pretty sure the 95 LS didnt come with leather.
Those missing panels aren't that big of a deal. There cheap and not that hard to find.
I have a 95 LS with a B18C and love it.

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
does anyone have any info on the automatic transmission and how its supposed to shift?

djayz
11-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I remember test driving 2 automatic integras and it was a horrible shift. Both of the cars were in shitty condition though so I can't say for sure if it was just bad cars or thats how it shifts but it was not pretty almost like dumping the clutch when coming out of gear on the manual.

Brutucus
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
pretty sure the gsr motor never came with automatic, only jdm gsr had automatic option, its probably GS or Special edition with B18B motor in it

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 07:18 PM
ya, thats how it felt, it seems like its pretty normal then if its happened to everyone driving them. searching on google, it looks like its the 1.8 non-vtec with 142hp/127 tq

DomesticBoy
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
ur barley supposed to feel the shift on a good auto tranny,
there are some cases where u gotta let off the gas a tad bit so it shifts (sometimes i have to do that with mine)
if its shifting hard or tugging after every gear then the trannys garbage
id stay away from the car, i just saw it on kijiji and it looks like youll be paying up the ass to get that car looking good and driving good
:dunno:

Dj_Stylz
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Let's see the kijiji ad

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Acura-1995-acura-integra-W0QQAdIdZ85210165

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
its not that bad. someone painted over the rust, but there is very little to begin with. the front and rear bumpers are garbage, but i can get both for about $250 brand new OEM.

the dent isnt too bad and i think i could get Tom to pull it out, there is a scratch in the first pic, but its only little and can be buffed out. the interior is pretty good.

if what richardchan says is true, then the maint. req. light is only because it does need a tuneup. overall, this will be my winter/daily so ultimately i dont think it will turn into a project. and doesnt have to be perfect.

bobby_lu
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Don't put much stake into the maintenance required light, I'm not entirely sure about this for the integra, but in other Hondas it just comes on automatically every 10K kms and is easy to reset.

Dj_Stylz
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Does it have a clean title? If i were you i would still get it inspected and get someone to check the maintenance required light aswell. You can check it your self aswell with a paper clip.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/47448/checking-cel-check-engine-light-codes-on-honda-vehicles/

03ozwhip
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
ya, i was gonna get it inspected for sure.

jaylo
11-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I'd usually check the fluids (oil, transmission, brake, etc..) to see what the condition is and decide from there if I want to buy the car.

Check his maintenance records too. If he can't produce them, then stay away.

rc2002
11-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I'd check the insurance costs too. My Integras were the most expensive cars to insure of all the cars I've owned because of the high theft, and crash ratings.

funkedelic2
11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds like the tranny is going to be an issue and he may not be telling you everything he knows about the car. Do you really want to spend 3k+ on an auto integra that may need a lot more work than you may want to spend on?

Why not find a cleaner example for a little bit more?

03ozwhip
11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
thats why i would get it inspected first. either way, im not willing to spend more than 3500 because its more or less a winter car, but still has to be decent looking and nice to drive.

funkedelic2
11-04-2008, 03:45 PM
thats why i would get it inspected first. either way, im not willing to spend more than 3500 because its more or less a winter car, but still has to be decent looking and nice to drive.

seeing how you like big cars, you should buy my police interceptor. Its an auto ;)

prae
11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

seeing how you like big cars, you should buy my police interceptor. Its an auto ;)

haha the one you just bought?! what the hell is wrong with it?

funkedelic2
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by prae

haha the one you just bought?! what the hell is wrong with it?

nothing i love it, if i sold it i would just try to make a profit off it lol

03ozwhip
11-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

haha, no my wife needs to be able to drive it too. she cant park a civic easily, let alone a RWD boat. if anyone else has something though, i might be willing to entertain.

403Gemini
11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

haha, no my wife needs to be able to drive it too. she cant park a civic easily, let alone a RWD boat. if anyone else has something though, i might be willing to entertain.

I have a bike in my garage :dunno:

captain134
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
Does it have a clean title? If i were you i would still get it inspected and get someone to check the maintenance required light aswell. You can check it your self aswell with a paper clip.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/47448/checking-cel-check-engine-light-codes-on-honda-vehicles/

You are thinking of the Check Engine light not the Maintenance required light.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=483

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=164

03ozwhip
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I have a bike in my garage :dunno:
motorcycle= me being dead. by my wife.

403Gemini
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM

motorcycle= me being dead. by my wife.

Oh i didn't mean a motorcycle.

If your wife cant park a civic, give her a pedal bike.

03ozwhip
11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
i was being at least a little sarcastic, is your meter broken? smaller cars for her is the best bet though.