PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacer stuck

Thehonger8
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I was trying to change over to my winters today. Then when I got to the front right, the wheel spacer was stuck to the car. So now I am not able to put my stock rims on the front.

Anyone have experienced this? Or know how to fix this problem?

The snow is coming soon:banghead:

86max
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Rubber mallet should work, just hit it a few times.

Thehonger8
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
O yeah I forgot to add. It looks like there is rust around it too. So it is stuck on pretty good

ExtraSlow
11-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Build a time machine, and go back to spread a thin coat of anti-sieze on the spacer. Should do the trick.

Your options now are limited. Heat and brute force should work. your choice if you use braking heat or blowtorch.

86max
11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
WD40, flathead screwdriver and a hammer?

+1 for anti-seize next time

gram
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Just carefully take a small screw driver and drive it between the hub and the rotor (like a wedge) it will come out:thumbsup:

Thehonger8
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Damn.
Thanks for the input.
It sounds like a lot of work. I think i am just gonna bring it back to the shop that put it on.

alpha
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
if it was me I would use either aero kroil, or PB blaster, soak the spacer and all the joining surfaces in it, then tap it with a hammer to help the penetrant soak in, keep soaking it and tapping it for a bit, and then try a chisel and hammer to seperate it.

that or heat, but in the wrong hands using heat will cause more damage than anything. lol

ExtraSlow
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by alpha
that or heat, but in the wrong hands using heat will cause more damage than anything. lol

Yes, heat can be a little dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. One way to use heat that is safer is to put the wheel back on and drive the car a little. Do several hard stops in a row and then take the wheel off right away. the brakes will stay hot for a while, and it might be enough to help you pop this spacer off.

Kloubek
11-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Thehonger8
Damn.
Thanks for the input.
It sounds like a lot of work. I think i am just gonna bring it back to the shop that put it on.

Driving a flathead screwdriver between the hub and the spacer and tapping it seems like a lot of work?

Dude - this will come off. Use your muscles a little. Spray the hub with WD40 first if you don't think u can hack it.

Thehonger8
11-03-2008, 11:00 PM
^
I tried that now and it still isn't coming off. It is making dent spacer

2EFNFAST
11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
try some liquid wrench; that's always worked for me. Failing that, get a Sawzall out? =)