PDA

View Full Version : Official 08/09 Snowboard Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spoons
11-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone else feel it? Getting colder, sunshine opening soon, snow in the forecast...

IT'S SNOWBOARD SEASON!

So anyone get some new setups this year? I picked up a completely new setup as I snapped my deck last year.

Picked up a Capita Stairmaster Extreme, some Technine MFM Pros, and some Vans Flyaway boots...

So pumped to start to hit some hand rails and the sorts!

a social dsease
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Yep pretty pumped, SSV opens in a week!

I got lots of new stuff this yr, Special Blend Goretex jacket, iDiom 20k pants, Burton Triad Lounge bindings, Electric eg2 goggles, and a Burton Vapor deck. new gloves of course, pretty much the only thing from last yr will be my boots, and my other board, Burton Supermodel. stoked!

Lucky97
11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
this is ganna be my first year out. is there like any tips or anything i should know of?

ercchry
11-03-2008, 11:42 PM
how is the snow looking this year so far up there?

JfuckinC
11-03-2008, 11:52 PM
hit up source today to visit a bud and get my friend set up with his first board, and ended up picking one out im buying next week haha

161 dark seris btx wide
rome targa bindings
and so far i think the 32 lashed boots

so jacked, i was freakin out today thinking about it hahahaa

elesdee
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Sooo fucking stoked!

Snapped my Ride Society last year, so this yea I'm rockin' a Rome Graft with Burton C60's and a new pair of thirtytwo Lashed. Love those boots!

JfuckinC:

I'm jealous of your new deck! I've been wanting to get a Libtech for quite some time now.

But I wouldn't recommend the Targas. I rocked them last year and had nothing but fucking trouble. First off, those little adjustable straps on the toecap will rip after a few trips. They are really really hard to replace because no shops carry spare ones. When this happened to me, I had a guy make custom ones out of regular burton straps.

And second, the aluminum heelcup cracked after a hard bail into a pretty smooth tranny. I warrantied the shit last april, but the FUCKING Source never sent my bindings out. Couple weeks ago I started wondering where my bindings were, phoned Rome, and it turned out they've been sitting at Source all fucking summer.

dimi
11-04-2008, 12:30 AM
PFFFT. Sunshine won't be open for a while. WTF you guys getting stoked for. hahaha Look at the webcams, rocks everywhere, 15 cm base which they don't update when it is lower than 15cm. They also have that gay countdown which is always lying.

My setup is a 2004 Burton Bullet. A good rockboard for the first month. After that I have a 158 Graft lined up w/ ride bindings.

I hate burton bindings but we'll see how my wingman's ^^^^^^ C60s last. My prediction is they will be snapped in 2 months. That's ok though he broke 2 boards last winter, pair of bindings, ripped his jacket, ripped his pants 3 times, broke his helmet, broke his lens on the Oakleys, and ripped his boots. :rofl:

jdmXSI
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
[i]Originally posted by dimi

I hate burton bindings but we'll see how my wingman's ^^^^^^ C60s last. My prediction is they will be snapped in 2 months. That's ok though he broke 2 boards last winter, pair of bindings, ripped his jacket, ripped his pants 3 times, broke his helmet, broke his lens on the Oakleys, and ripped his boots. :rofl: [/B]

Wow that's a shitty season if you ask me. I don't think I have ever broken a board. Mind you I dont go too big and only dabble with rails every once and while.

My set up is kinda old but it's been used only a dozen times or so. I have a ride board w/ Preston lx bindings and super comfy DC boots.

picmerollin
11-04-2008, 09:27 AM
i am ready.

kicking horse is looking like they are getting a good early base!!

my set up this yr will be the Arbor roundhouse, Burton mission bindings, and my dc patrol's.

i cant wait to hit the hills this yr, i really want to check out revy since some people in golden last yr were saying it was kick ass!!!

anybody have any revy experiences from last yr, whats the scoupe???

also it looks like whitefish may be my home away from home fro boxing day- NYE!!!!

gretz
11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
im ready to go - got my Ride Nation waxed, tightened my Tomcats, and dug out my 32 lashed boots (lighter than my work shoes)

Went to Louise last year - lots of moguls (sp?), not awesome snow, glades were shit, not worth the $75 IMO

Spoons
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Lucky97
this is ganna be my first year out. is there like any tips or anything i should know of?

Don't be scared of falling? Not sure on tips, but lessons really help... if you have a good instructor. Like if I am teaching somebody directly (hard to do over beyond) I can have someone carving by the end of the day.

Go to COP for lessons, they have pretty good instructors. Just don't give up and keep at it and you should be shreddin' in no time.

dimi
11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by picmerollin
i am ready.

kicking horse is looking like they are getting a good early base!!

anybody have any revy experiences from last yr, whats the scoupe???

Yea but kicking horse is a 3 hour drive, 4 in the winter. Revelstoned is fun. Top to bottom its a very long run. Expect long lineups though since they only have 2 lifts. It is like $45 which is awesome.

Originally posted by gretz

Went to Louise last year - lots of moguls (sp?), not awesome snow, glades were shit, not worth the $75 IMO

Louise is sick. The "rock gardens" run is absolutely deadly. But then again its another half an hour drive after sunshine, and there are no jumps just rails, so not a big fan. Anyone with season passes here? I'm set for sunshine.

Spoons
11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dimi

Yea but kicking horse is a 3 hour drive, 4 in the winter. Revelstoned is fun. Top to bottom its a very long run. Expect long lineups though since they only have 2 lifts. It is like $45 which is awesome.

Louise is sick. The "rock gardens" run is absolutely deadly. But then again its another half an hour drive after sunshine, and there are no jumps just rails, so not a big fan. Anyone with season passes here? I'm set for sunshine.

RCR is under the old management again... might be seeing jumps again this year.

Reality though, jumps are a poor choice business wise. Maintaining rails in a park is super easy, and very cheap. Maintaining jumps, etc. takes people with skill, and can be costly.

The game of snowboarding has changed. You ask any kid what a Japan Air, or a roast beef is and they have no fucking clue. It's all about jib this and jib that. Everyone wants to hit the hand rail, and not the huge 50 footer jump. So why build jumps when no one wants to hit them. I LOVED RCR jumps, so clean, spaced right... but I found myself and very few others hitting them.

Don't get me wrong, I love rails, but I still hit the booters a lot too.

JfuckinC
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by elesdee
JfuckinC:

I'm jealous of your new deck! I've been wanting to get a Libtech for quite some time now.

But I wouldn't recommend the Targas. I rocked them last year and had nothing but fucking trouble. First off, those little adjustable straps on the toecap will rip after a few trips. They are really really hard to replace because no shops carry spare ones. When this happened to me, I had a guy make custom ones out of regular burton straps.

And second, the aluminum heelcup cracked after a hard bail into a pretty smooth tranny. I warrantied the shit last april, but the FUCKING Source never sent my bindings out. Couple weeks ago I started wondering where my bindings were, phoned Rome, and it turned out they've been sitting at Source all fucking summer.

shit son!! thanks for that piece of info, i'll make sure to re evaluate my choice! so many other good ones to choose from, so thats ok ahaha

elesdee
11-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Wow that's a shitty season if you ask me. I don't think I have ever broken a board. Mind you I dont go too big and only dabble with rails every once and while.

My set up is kinda old but it's been used only a dozen times or so. I have a ride board w/ Preston lx bindings and super comfy DC boots.

That's the difference. I went close to 130 times last season, and went through two setups. You went a dozen times.

jdmXSI
11-05-2008, 10:42 AM

That's the difference. I went close to 130 times last season, and went through two setups. You went a dozen times.

Haha 130 times in a season? I can see now how you did that. I've maybe been 130 in my life, lol. I wanna definatly want to get out more this year for sure.

Has anyone been to louise on opening day? Just wondering about conditions and if there lots of rocks still sticking up through the snow.

Canmorite
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Haha 130 times in a season? I can see now how you did that. I've maybe been 130 in my life, lol. I wanna definatly want to get out more this year for sure.

Has anyone been to louise on opening day? Just wondering about conditions and if there lots of rocks still sticking up through the snow.

Louise opening day is CRAZY busy usually. There is one run open, no rocks but it's hard as ice. If you get there early and ski for a few hours it's ok. Around lunch it becomes REALLY busy.

eb0i
11-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm freaking stoked! I bought my SSV pass yesterday :D And I can't wait to try my new setup later in the year when there is more snow. My new deck is a Gnu Hampus Pro. :drool:

elesdee
11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I hate burton bindings but we'll see how my wingman's ^^^^^^ C60s last. My prediction is they will be snapped in 2 months. That's ok though he broke 2 boards last winter, pair of bindings, ripped his jacket, ripped his pants 3 times, broke his helmet, broke his lens on the Oakleys, and ripped his boots. :rofl:

Originally posted by JfuckinC

shit son!! thanks for that piece of info, i'll make sure to re evaluate my choice! so many other good ones to choose from, so thats ok ahaha

I am actually starting to like Burton bindings because the replacement straps are everywhere, the disks are plastic and will never strip your inserts, but rather shatter themselves, and the plastic construction of the binding is very flexy and won't crack like aluminum. The plastic binding is also easier on your board when you're pressing. Also Burton ratchets are pretty solid.

Two days ago I resurrected my last year's Society with some epoxy and clamps; paired it with my old Missions, and last night went jibbing with friends in buddy's back yard. What a phenomenal way to start the season!

This is what started happening to the Society well into the season last year:
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v240/235/90/503737881/n503737881_531867_5136.jpg

Progressed into this, by this point the core is cracking:
http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v376/235/90/503737881/n503737881_1109836_131.jpg

http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v376/235/90/503737881/n503737881_1109837_368.jpg

http://photos-g.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v376/235/90/503737881/n503737881_1109838_586.jpg

Ready to ride again!!
http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v376/235/90/503737881/n503737881_1109839_816.jpg

I learned that die-cut bases are shit! Because every separate color is a distinct piece of plastic. So after a while, it starts to peel apart. I'll post pics of the jib sesh when I get em from my friend. This is the only one I got:
http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v376/235/90/503737881/n503737881_1109909_7100.jpg

a social dsease
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM

I learned that die-cut bases are shit! Because every separate color is a distinct piece of plastic. So after a while, it starts to peel apart.

Argh I learned that last yr when the Burton logo peeled out of my base. Luckily they warrantied it and sent me a brand new board. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Burton.

To generate some more stoke, heres a pic from Fernie last season.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v159/21/12/122501448/n122501448_32371026_9573.jpg

van
11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm just a beginner rider but I enjoyed last season although when I started get the hang of carving the season ended. Been just itching to go out and hit the mountains again, wish the snow would keep coming down!!

RoGZ
11-06-2008, 02:52 PM
rome graft
dc judge boots
burton cartels

burton dominant for rock board

reiRei
11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
MOAR snow.. I'm getting fairly excited myself.. This'll be my second season on the same set-up (K2 Spire Board, K2 Dream Bindings and Burton Boots), hopefully I'll get better this year

James Winz
11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I just got a new set up in the summer at the source sale. Got new thirty two boots, burton bindings, lib tech board, and some annon goggles. I can not wait to hit the slopes.

cmodem
11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
sunshine status day to day but soonest is nov 14.

dino_martini
11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Im riding my old setup that I bought last year:

Burton Jeremy Jones
Burton EST Bindings
Thirty-Two Lashed Boots

Im going to buy some new outer wear this weekend. Its going to be a good season. Were probably going to go out into BC this year, we have never been Skiing/Boarding in BC before. Maybe Fernie, Silverstar, Big White, Kicking Horse, something like that.

mazdavirgin
11-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by cmodem
sunshine status day to day but soonest is nov 14.

You better have a rock board if you are riding sunshine this early in the season :| It is not exactly grass under that thin layer of snow...

a social dsease
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
F$&%* why are they opening on the 14th now!!! :banghead: :banghead: That throws a huge stick in my spokes ARGH

CMW403
11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
im mega-stoked for this season. especially since my girlfriends dad owns sunshine and i get free lift tickets alllllllllllll yeeeeaaarrrrr longgggggggggggg:love:

JVR1
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
anyone going to louise tomorrow?

DENZILDON
11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
im mega-stoked for this season. especially since my girlfriends dad owns sunshine and i get free lift tickets alllllllllllll yeeeeaaarrrrr longgggggggggggg:love:

Does she have a sister? :poosie: :D

CivicTunr
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM

Hey budddddddy :D

thrasher22
11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

You better have a rock board if you are riding sunshine this early in the season :| It is not exactly grass under that thin layer of snow...

I went the first or second week last year and there were almost no rocks! This year might be a different story, its looking fairly hurt still :(

elesdee
11-08-2008, 04:34 AM
I'd say it's looking pretty good! Check out these photos (http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/photos.php) taken on Friday Nov. 7 and compare them to Louise! I think the reason why Sunshine delays their opening every year unless they get a big dump is because they don't get enough snow on the ski-out at the bottom! Just look at the mountain, it's ready to go!

Mys73ri0
11-08-2008, 05:38 AM
hmmm, i cant believe no one is talking about lib tech and MTX / BTX ... still haven't met a single person who's rode BTX that would ever switch back...

They started putting MTX on some Salomon boards well... wish I had the money to upgrade my gear this year :(

cmodem
11-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
hmmm, i cant believe no one is talking about lib tech and MTX / BTX ... still haven't met a single person who's rode BTX that would ever switch back...

They started putting MTX on some Salomon boards well... wish I had the money to upgrade my gear this year :(

because the topic has been beat to death already. It now has proven technology like most of the other boards out there.

Some ppl like it some don't... go buy one or demo and make your own opinion. The pros/cons, how it rides, bs info is all out there already just search outside of beyond.

But I'm always down for any user specific reviews though.

And before you call me a lib hater... i have a skate banana the lib experimental banana from last year. I am a big fan of trying as many different brands as possible. The next board i'd probably go with is rome (ppl say good things haven't rode one), or try burton's attempt at the reverse camber (the burton hero, have a custom x won't go back to a regular camber burton).

But that being said this is the first year i will NOT be buying a new board or "new" used board from ebay lol... because of how much fun the skate banana was last year. Meant more money for much neglected outerwear.

Spoons
11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RoGZ
rome graft
dc judge boots
burton cartels

burton dominant for rock board

I was going to buy the Graft but decided on the Capita Stairmaster Extreme... tell me how you like it.

elesdee
11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
That makes three of us in this thread with a Graft. I'm really stoked to see how it holds up. It looks really well made, solid. Thick edges, twice the thickness of my Burton Baron. And it's got a feature which is common to Rome but no other brands: thin titanium/aluminum impact plates embedded into the core under the bindings area. This is supposed to save your board from compression damage under the bindings when you're pressing. This was a big problem for me last season, so I'm pretty stoked!

cam_wmh
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Kendra?

petoria
11-09-2008, 10:58 AM
SOOOO STOOOKED!!!
BRAND NEW SETUP FOR THIS SEASON

08 Burton Tadashi Fuse
09 White and Orange Burton Cartel's
09 White and Orange Driver X's

:D

JVR1
11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
made it out to louise yesterday after all.. it was soooo much fun even though it was only wiwaxy open.. take it easy on those first few runs.. saw someone on the snow patrol sled being taken down on every chair lift going up..

a social dsease
11-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Went to Louise for opening day yesterday. What can I say, it was actually pretty fun considering there was only 1 lift and 1 run open. No lines at all for the chairlift, we hit runs until our legs burned. As you can see from this picture, the riding is solely dependent on snowmaking right now, 0-5cm base in the off-piste areas.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/scottc420/PICT9235.jpg

So the riding was good (for what was open), but I still came away majorly disappointed. Let me explain. I checked the website on friday, it said 1 lift 1 run would be open, but at discounted prices. I figured the prices were reasonable at $39 for adult, $26.50 for student, and some other rates for seniors, kids etc. Since I am a student at UofC I figured I would pay $26.50, which would be fair for what is open. I even checked the website Saturday morning before I left, same prices.
Well I get to the hill, go the ticket counter and ask for 1 student ticket. The guy tells me they are no longer offering student pricing. SINCE WHEN? Its the first day of the season, and I had checked the website less than 3hrs prior, and it showed student pricing. How they can discontinue student pricing in less than 3 hrs????? The guy insists I have to pay $39. Well I know its not his fault, but I argued with the guy for a good 5 minutes until there was a line 15 deep behind me, but I finally had no choice but to pay. $39 f*ing dollars, well at least the riding was good.
This morning I check the website, and they've already changed the pricing page! It no longer says student, just adult ($39) and 13-17 yr old ($26.50). No student to be seen. I just want to extend a major :thumbsdow to the lake louise management, their tactics are completely underhanded and unethical, I hope they don't get any snow this yr and are forced to shutdown. I for one will never be back, I can't justify giving these cons any more money, not after this. LONG LIVE SUNSHINE!
And just for the record its not about the money, I could care less about $14, its about the blatant lying and disrespect for the customer. You can't put one thing on the website and then have people drive out for 2 hrs and charge something different. Big thanks to lake louise for putting a sour note on an otherwise great day. Rot in hell you bastards :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Canmorite
11-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Sunshine hasn't had Student pricing for a while either. I wish they'd bring it back.

cam_wmh
11-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I went to Norquay. Dead as nails, with a dozen buds, quite a few huckruts, and a couple jibs. I had a blast.

Only $20. Snickered seeing all the punters, and gorbys heading to Louise.

RoGZ
11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
louise could till be in transition mode sine they changed management and are basically being run completely separate from the other RCR hills

Canmorite
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
I went to Norquay. Dead as nails, with a dozen buds, quite a few huckruts, and a couple jibs. I had a blast.

Only $20. Snickered seeing all the punters, and gorbys heading to Louise.

Norquay is the most boring hill out of the big 3. I've skied there WAY too many times :rofl:

Spoons
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Norquay is the most boring hill out of the big 3. I've skied there WAY too many times :rofl:

What but their park is AMAZING! One of the best kept secrets for parks.

I'm currently on my way out to snowboard these two quarter pipes and a jib me and some buddies made out back of a hockey arena...

van
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
In regards to Lake Louise, I was wondering if we can still use the Lake Louise pass for the other hills that are part of RCR? In particular Kimberly....

Also, what are the differences between Sunshine and Lake Louise? Last year I just went to Lake Louise I didn't mind it lots of room and it wasn't too too packed there when I went on the weekends.

I went to Sunshine once or twice but it was like the first day I got on a snowboard so I really didn't enjoy much of it if any of it in any of the areas I should have been in.

I'm just wondering what card to get and which hill to go to? I'm pretty n00b still and my girlfriend is as well. So whatever is better to learn on, etc..etc...

cmodem
11-10-2008, 06:16 PM
^ ^

I think louise is nicer for ppl who don't prefer flats or have trouble on flat zones.

Sunshine is:
+ closer
+ usually more "fresh" snow
+ quality of snow is there longer (you go up 1500ft via gondola)
+ PARK <---- esp since RCR f@cked the dog last year
+ fast quads galore

- flat
- parking sometimes sucks d@ck
- runs are short
- visibility is shit most of the time... downfall of being 1500ft up

Lake Louise is
+ there awesome days are better then sunshines awesome days
+ runs are long, well defined, and not many flat spots
+ lots of capacity around the hill to get away from the rush
+ the summit platter is the bomb!

- further
- no park... gay ass rcr
- manmade snow on front
- i think more difficult terrain (for beginners)

As a beginner I always liked louise better... but as i got better and more lazy i now prefer sunshine. For the park... and the short runs... the number of combinations of runs you can pull off chaining lots of short runs together is unlimited... just need to be able to ride proficiently to rip through flats/odd areas to chain em together.

Its closer which means i get more sleep.

Canmorite
11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

What but their park is AMAZING! One of the best kept secrets for parks.

I'm currently on my way out to snowboard these two quarter pipes and a jib me and some buddies made out back of a hockey arena...

Last year they had a decent park, but years ago they had some crazy shit. Kinda gone downhill, and it's not nearly long enough.

Louise's park 3-4 years ago owned all :hitit:

Mys73ri0
11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
anyone know how much opening weekend will be at Sunshine? Saving my sunshine card if the savings are huge...

JfuckinC
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
fuck im jacked

stevieo
11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
just picked up some new gear! cant wait to get out and go on the snow haha

cam_wmh
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks tips. You laughing at your own befuddled logic?

2 of the 3 hills are open. The one I chose is almost an hour closer to home, 1/2 as much for a day pass, and has similar terrain open. Yep just a small swath of base-less man-made, with a half dozen huck ruts, and a couple lil jibs. I'm sure a "LOL" should be inserted here, no?

After 13 seasons, YES THIRTEEN, seasons as an RCR passholder, I was not obligated to be a poll sitter at the 500 this year, as I finally bit the bullet and bought a Sunshine pass. Unfortunately I caught wind too late, that Chuck bought Louise back from Edwards, and they should be building jumps again.

cam_wmh
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Last year they had a decent park, but years ago they had some crazy shit. Kinda gone downhill, and it's not nearly long enough.

Last season Norquay's park killed. A friend put on a sweet lil "anti" contest, fun ass time.

I wrote a feature on Louise Park when Patterson was cutting. It's too bad they couldn't market the park properly, "hi Mosteller :thumbsdow"

The really shitty death was Nakiska. Clayton killllllllllllllllllllllled it with that park. Great flow, serious 'tang, & creative.

Folks have a place in Windermere, so I made it Panorama a few times last season. They have a fun nice park on skiers right now, in addition to the little one with the stunt ditch near the base on skiers left. I only met their park guy for a moment, and his name slips me. Great family hill, too bad they get the pineapple express so often.

But, if you are really all about the ramp farm, COP is where you should be. Wade has the place on lock.

Canmorite
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Thanks tips. You laughing at your own befuddled logic?

2 of the 3 hills are open. The one I chose is almost an hour closer to home, 1/2 as much for a day pass, and has similar terrain open. Yep just a small swath of base-less man-made, with a half dozen huck ruts, and a couple lil jibs. I'm sure a &quot;LOL&quot; should be inserted here, no?

I just got sick of Norquay. I went to school up there and skied that place everyday. It's closer and cheaper, but theres a whole 300 meters of run...

Spoons
11-12-2008, 05:20 AM

I just got sick of Norquay. I went to school up there and skied that place everyday. It's closer and cheaper, but theres a whole 300 meters of run...

Oh yeah by no means is it super short. When I head up there I pretty well just hit the park, and that's it. Some runs are pretty fun and tech.

BTW RCR WILL HAVE JUMPS AGAIN THIS YEAR! New management, bringing the old school park back. Looks like Louise will be my favourite again.

badseed
11-12-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm jacked up, picked up a Burton Custom for $370. I got it on clearance from a skate, surf, board shop on Melrose Ave, LA back in March!

Probably gonna hit Sunshine mostly, starting late November. On my list this year - Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Whistler, Big White.

Anyone ever do up Kimberley?

98type_r
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Pano trip booked for December, praying for snow

JfuckinC
11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by badseed

Anyone ever do up Kimberley?

kimberley has some pretty bad ass terrain, just gotta skate your way there fackk.

dimi
11-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

BTW RCR WILL HAVE JUMPS AGAIN THIS YEAR! New management, bringing the old school park back.

Source please.

van
11-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Booterlicious: Lake Louise changes ownership, decides to build jumps again
Author: Scott Birke
Nov 3, 2008

Lake Louise, AB -- The Lake has just been purchased back by its previous owner, Charlie Locke and judging by this quote from Mr. Locke himself: they'll be "reintroducing a quality terrain park with all varieties of features"... so apparently, they're into building booters again. While Lake Louise will be independent, it will operate in association with Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, which also owns Fernie Alpine Resort, Alpine Resort, Mount Ste. Anne and Stoneham among others. Anyway, we at Snowboard Canada are stoked there's going to be jumps there again. Here's the official press release for more info:

NEW LAKE LOUISE SKI AREA OWNERS INTENSIFY FOCUS ON CREATING MAGICAL AND MEMORABLE ROCKY MOUNTAIN EXPERIENCES
Managing Partner Charlie Locke Vows To Implement More Improvements

LAKE LOUISE, Alberta -- Snow is blowing, the papers are signed and the world-renowned Lake Louise Ski Area is officially under new ownership just days before the chairlifts start running for what promises to be one of the most exciting seasons in its history.

“For me this is not so much a business decision as a return to a fundamental passion,” said new managing partner and former owner Charlie Locke, who is unretiring from retirement to lead the Rocky Mountain resort. “My family and I are very excited about getting back to the mountains and reinvesting our energies to ensure Lake Louise continues to be Canada’s favourite ski resort.”

Mr. Locke has partnered with the former owner --Resorts of the Canadian Rockies chairman Murray Edwards -- to form a new company to operate Lake Louise, which later this month will host the opening speed events of the 2008/09 World Cup season. The Lake Louise Ski Area will be operated independently of, but associated with, Resorts of the Canadian Rockies.

Mr. Locke said with additional resources now focused on Lake Louise, his new team will work to build on the tremendous visitor experience improvements implemented at the resort over the past several years.

Initiatives will include a focus on customer service, full dedication to superior snow making and high-quality grooming and enhanced après ski options.

“We understand that it’s about the whole experience and we’re committed to making sure skiers and snowboarders, kids, families, and young adults have the best time possible on the snow and after,” said Mr. Locke “In addition to reintroducing a quality terrain park with all varieties of features, we’re also looking at more dining options, events and entertainment.”

The ownership change will have no impact on 2008/09 season passes or other ski products. All multi-resort passes will have the same skiing and boarding privileges as before.

Mr. Locke originally invested in the resort in 1974, helping finance many of its initial lifts. He became full owner in 1981, and spent the next 20 years shaping it into the world-class destination it is today.

Mr. Edwards purchased a 50% interest in the resort company from Locke in 2001 and the balance in 2003.

Mr. Locke, one of the first professional mountain guides in Canada, pioneered many of the classic climbing and ski touring routes in the Canadian Rockies and made numerous first ascents in the Lake Louise area before launching parallel careers in the investment business and ranching. Today, through his holding company, The Locke Stock & Barrel Company, he has investments in ranching, real estate, resources, and recreation.

Lake Louise is the largest ski area in the Canadian Rockies and offers terrain to meet the desires of any snow enthusiast. The resort is nestled in a breathtaking UNESCO World Heritage Site.

----------------------------

By the way, where can I go get my board waxed?

asp integra
11-13-2008, 03:52 PM

norquays park last year was ok, but the jumps were way too small, there is great potential there though,

i wish we had the parks from a few years back, nakiska 3-4 years ago was amazing and same with louise!

dimi
11-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by van

By the way, where can I go get my board waxed?

Well it's good to hear they plan to bring the nice park back. I am still skeptical that it will be at the level that it was 4 years ago.

UofC Snowboard Club Membership $5. You get a free wax at missions, and a bunch of other cool extras.

broken_legs
11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Well I rode Lake Louise on Sat/Sunday

They are charging a fee and you must purchase a special pass and fill a waiver to use the ummm "Rail Park"

The rail Park currently consists of 2 rails and they had someone posted there scanning tickets all day both days.

They only have the one chair open, but with this last dump I can see them opening the gondola too.

My back leg has never cramped so hard.

Happy Riding.

elesdee
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
today was my first day of the season at sunshine, and it ended with me smashing my brand new graft into a huge rock! good times.

jdmXSI
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah I was at sunshine too. For begining of the season it wasent too bad, quite a few rocks though and me sliding off a cliff on my ass!! Lol.

thrasher22
11-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I was at Sunshine today and was impressed with the snow coverage. I hit a couple rocks, but nothing serious :thumbsup:
It felt tooooooo good to be out again

Hash_man
11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
So stoked for this season. Gotta pick up a new jacket & pants, so I'm probably gonna hit up mission tommorow... Going to wait a bit to head to the slopes though, I hate recking a board on rocks in the early season.

Picked up Shaun white snowboarding for 360 today though to keep me busy lol, and picked up like 6 snowboard vids in Vegas last week for only $20.

Spoons
11-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by asp integra

norquays park last year was ok, but the jumps were way too small, there is great potential there though,

i wish we had the parks from a few years back, nakiska 3-4 years ago was amazing and same with louise!

I would much rather have smaller perfectly spaced jumps where I can get a nice line going than a big 50 footer where it's a one time deal...

Everyone loved COP's jumps but I hated them. If I wanted to spin off the step up or anything of the sorts, I had to skip the first jumps... I would rather have a nice line then hit the chair, than just one good hit, and chair.

CMW403
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Kendra?

no, kendra's cousin

calgarygts
11-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I was at sunshine too, saw a kid try to drop a cliff between top of standish and strawberry. Ski patrol gurneyed him off the mountain, it was quite the wipeout (looked like he smashed a tree at the end). Talk about a bad start to the season!

3g4u
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I was at sunshine on Friday opening day, and it was great for the first hour then got shrode pretty quick. Ended the day off by tearing my MCL. Great start to the season for me.:(

asp integra
11-17-2008, 09:08 PM
also to clear up for some people, only lake louise, not all rcr resorts, will be getting park back

gd3_kid
11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
anybody know where you can buy Lib Tech boards in Alberta, or Canada?

I'm really interestd in the Lib Tech TRS BTX or MTX version.

Thanks

asp integra
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by gd3_kid
anybody know where you can buy Lib Tech boards in Alberta, or Canada?

I'm really interestd in the Lib Tech TRS BTX or MTX version.

Thanks

source sells em

stevieo
11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
what kinda thermal wear do you guys wear under?
i wore thick ass hoodies and sweaters with sweat pants last couple years, but i want more mobility haha

20incheyes
11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
For Lib Tech boards I've noticed they have the largest stock in the south store but I'm sure if you can't find the one you want they'll check the other stores inventories. I've rode my Travis Rice with BTX and MTX for only 10 runs down the Wiwaxy and highly recommend both these features.

It def. felt different at first compared to my old board but this could have been due to all the wake sports over the summer. Overall at the end of the day: ollies & butters were effortless, MTX digs well into the snow even though the nose and tail aren't exactly digging in.

As for thermals avoid cotton! You want a fabric that gets your sweat away from your skin. Usually these layers are fairly expensive at ski shops but there are tonnes of designs and options. Under Armour also works well and is a little easier on the bank.

At winners I hear they have lots of snowboard outerwear and Bolle Reflective goggles for $40 and another brand that look half dec with orange lenses for $25.

20incheyes
11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
I was at sunshine on Friday opening day, and it was great for the first hour then got shrode pretty quick. Ended the day off by tearing my MCL. Great start to the season for me.:(

That Blows!!! :thumbsdow Best friend tore his ACL and MCL last Feb. on a small kicker and I can tell you the recovery process is no walk in the park. I broke my collarbone on the 72nd day at COP and even though it hurt for a few weeks it's nothing as serious as those joints in the knees.

Best of luck with the recovery

Kobe
11-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Canmorite and I went to Sunshine yesterday, it was pretty fun, but a lot of rocks, I gashed my board really nicely :(

But it was fun as hell, a couple decent little cliffs to still hit...
Angel wasn't open and it said on the website it should be

3g4u
11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

That Blows!!! :thumbsdow Best friend tore his ACL and MCL last Feb. on a small kicker and I can tell you the recovery process is no walk in the park. I broke my collarbone on the 72nd day at COP and even though it hurt for a few weeks it's nothing as serious as those joints in the knees.

Best of luck with the recovery

Thanks man! Im hoping to be back out there by mid December. (fingers crossed.):thumbsup:

cmodem
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Canmorite and I went to Sunshine yesterday, it was pretty fun, but a lot of rocks, I gashed my board really nicely :(

But it was fun as hell, a couple decent little cliffs to still hit...
Angel wasn't open and it said on the website it should be

Sorry you read wrong... if you open up the news post that was posted on the 17th it says... here is an excerpt:

"That's right, the Angel super-lift opens this Friday at Sunshine Village Ski and Snowboard Resort, thanks to a generous gift of pure, natural powder from the skies over the past two weeks. That gives skiers and riders access to Lookout Mountain for the first time this season."

dimi
11-19-2008, 04:13 PM
There is a nice drop on the blue run just to the right of the green run on Standish. There is a warning sign there. Buddy did a backside 360 on it, as in landing on his back and rolling over twice. It was fun!

jmil
11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I was at sunshine on Monday and it was good.

At COP, Wade has had his crew building new features for a month now

skyline19
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
well i live about 30 seconds from Red Mountain so it will be fucking stellar this season. i can literally walk from my house there haha.

Got my free pass cause im working weekends there so its even better! the snow is better here then Lake Louise and sunshine although the hill isnt as big. Plus side is that Red has a fraction of the amount of users on it.

cmodem
11-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by skyline19
well i live about 30 seconds from Red Mountain so it will be fucking stellar this season. i can literally walk from my house there haha.

Got my free pass cause im working weekends there so its even better! the snow is better here then Lake Louise and sunshine although the hill isnt as big. Plus side is that Red has a fraction of the amount of users on it.

:werd: red mountain is awesome taking the trails away from the main runs and ending up at the highway then hitch hiking back to the base was some of the best memories haha.

broken_legs
11-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by 3g4u

Thanks man! Im hoping to be back out there by mid December. (fingers crossed.):thumbsup:

I'm riding with a repaired MCL and two repaired ACLs. My ACLs are pretty much gone, but I use a brace. I suggest you invest in a good GII or something similar.

The only thing I find is that my legs get tired really fast because I put the braces on pretty tight. Taking jumps, landing flat, nothing has really bothered my knees yet except weird angles when my board is hanging on a crowded chair.

20incheyes
11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

My ACLs are pretty much gone, but I use a brace. I suggest you invest in a good GII or something similar.

The only thing I find is that my legs get tired really fast because I put the braces on pretty tight. Taking jumps, landing flat, nothing has really bothered my knees yet except weird angles when my board is hanging on a crowded chair.

My buddy just got a brace (Cost him $1500) and he'll be relieved to hear it was a good investment! We'll be up at Louise tmrw enjoying the groomers and I'm looking forward to see the rails they have setup.

I'd also like to give a big shout out to Clyde Snowboards from Calgary Canada for donating a very nice deck to the father of a family who has been fighting a very rare disease, the family is in financial need after battling this illness for years. The snowboard and a few other Clyde goodies will be auctioned of tmrw night and I would personally like to thank Jason Broz, the owner of Clyde for his help :)

Jason has a very nice showroom in the NE so feel free to head down and check out his goods, you can even use your own graphic!!!

http://www.deepturns.com/clyde.jpg

Stunt66
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I just read an article on clyde snowboards yesterday. Anyone on here own one of his custom decks?

stevieo
11-21-2008, 07:21 PM
so I'm looking at this Under Armour ColdGear base layer, if i wore that would I still need to pack a hoodie and some sweat pants on top of that? or can i go straight to my snowpants and jacket?

dam_guy
11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
so I'm looking at this Under Armour ColdGear base layer, if i wore that would I still need to pack a hoodie and some sweat pants on top of that? or can i go straight to my snowpants and jacket?

i just went out today to sunshine and i always wear my ua base layer. i suggest you wear a mid-layer as well cause even though today wasn't too cold, -4 ish, the wind chill will go straight through you.

p.s. holy fuck, the whole bottom of the ski out is sheet ice, almost bailed hard cause i came in so fast.

20incheyes
11-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
You won't need sweat pants and depending how good your jacket is you probably won't need a hoodie. I usually don't ride if it gets below -15 but occasionally will throw on a wool sweater over the base layer under my jacket but once every 20 days of riding or so.

Bring a top mid layer just in case is the best way to go

JVR1
11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by dam_guy

p.s. holy fuck, the whole bottom of the ski out is sheet ice, almost bailed hard cause i came in so fast.

:rofl: :rofl:

i did eat shit at the end.. thought i was going to hit the cement..!

msommers
11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Figured this is probably the best place to ask. Last year I went out, tried boardin a bit and I gotta say I love it. I don't really wanna spend a shit ton on brand new gear and was hoping someone that knew of a place or event that sold used stuff to tie me over this season.

thrasher22
11-23-2008, 03:26 PM
^^ The annual ski and snowboard sale at the big 4 would have been your best bet, but that was late October. Theres always lots of people selling things they spent a ton of cash on and never road on places like kijiji or the bargain finder.

msommers
11-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Dammit! Too slow :( I've read a bit on the net about sizing and stuff. I'm a pretty small dude and according to a bunch of calulators, I need a board about 150-155. My street shoes are 9.5/10, do boots fit basically the same or do they fit a bit bigger/smaller? And bindings... I have no clue on lol. Thanks for the help man.

dimi
11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by dam_guy

Just take it as a big box and boardslide it LOL.

elesdee
11-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Just take it as a big box and boardslide it LOL.

YO! that is exactly what i did today!! the longest and smoothest frontboard ever! sooo steezy!

dimi
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
sooo steezy!

Wow, what a gay use of vocabulary.

a social dsease
11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
SSV wasn't too bad on Saturday. Kinda whiteout and crowded, and thus tracked on main runs, but the snow quality was excellent off the beaten path. Knee deep and not too wet or dry, twas a great day!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/scottc420/PB220019.jpg