PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Crossfit by Chris Shugart

Darkane
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Interesting article. I've been hearing about this Crossfit stuff for a few months now and finally looked into it. Chris from T-Nation wrote a good article on it. He wasn't bashing it or praising it, just what it's about with some quality criticism.

This Glassman guy seems like an Idiot. He wanted to challenge TC, the Chief Editor of Testosterone magazine against one of his female Crossfitters. Wtf?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/the_truth_about_crossfit

USED1
11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Pretty good article.

prae
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
My first serious read on CrossFit. I've always wanted to know what the fuss was about

kutt3r
11-04-2008, 06:29 PM
"CultFit" is a term of derision frequently used in heated forum discussions. And it's easy to compare the doe-eyed devotion to CrossFit to similarly disparaged "HIT Jedi" or members of "Pavel's Kettlebell Kult."

LOL I love it...

I think like everything moderation is the key... I use all those methods mentioned above for training... I own Pavel's books, I do HITT, I use 'Crossfit' exercises, I have used DC training, I learnt about Tabitas from Ross training, Westside training, my latest kick is the 'thug' street workouts... they make me laugh and the dudes can do more body weight exercises than you can shake a stick at.... I can go on and on.. The point is finding something you like and sticking to it, or adding variety and enjoying it all.

I think the best trainers/practitioners use variety of techniques and keep an open mind to everything that is available to them and work it into something that works for them or their client.

Great article though, I thought it was a pretty good read... that guy does sound like a pyscho... and so out of shape...

Nice find Darkane! :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Great post, great article. I agree that Glassman seems a bit extreme. Its no secret I'm a big CFit fan and have been a practioner for a while so I'll leave my bias commenst aside. All I'd ask is that before judging the program, give it a whirl ... for at least 3 - 6 months.

If anyone has any questions on it, feel free to ask I'll share my experiences, good and bad openly. I have been active in the gym for 10+ years so I do have some background to compare with.

Darkane
11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

If anyone has any questions on it, feel free to ask I'll share my experiences, good and bad openly. I have been active in the gym for 10+ years so I do have some background to compare with.

Question: The Crossfit gym in Calgary, is it strictly Crossfit?

Reason I ask is if there is the Crossfit class or whatever happening, people aren't going to be eating the same stuff or supplementing the same. If someone is looking to cut, this program might be a little tough with a caloric deficit.

Do the trainers take diet into consideration? Crossfit does actually fall quite nicely in the "G-flux" category where Dr. Berardi believes more calories in AND more calories out equals a harder more muscular body.

So basically when doing Crossfit you might have to eat MORE to see the benefits. The CNS (Central nervous system) would have a hell of a time recovering from a 30rep set of clean and press on a caloric deficit.

kutt3r
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Reason I ask is if there is the Crossfit class or whatever happening, people aren't going to be eating the same stuff or supplementing the same. If someone is looking to cut, this program might be a little tough with a caloric deficit.

Do the trainers take diet into consideration? Crossfit does actually fall quite nicely in the "G-flux" category where Dr. Berardi believes more calories in AND more calories out equals a harder more muscular body.

So basically when doing Crossfit you might have to eat MORE to see the benefits. The CNS (Central nervous system) would have a hell of a time recovering from a 30rep set of clean and press on a caloric deficit.

I don't belive they are a 100% crossfit gym, they offer classes, and they also offer classes at the YMCA, all locations I believe. There is a blog for Crossfit Calgary, but honestly it sucks from what I have seen.

http://www.crossfitcalgary.ca/
http://crossfitcalgary.ca/schedule-and-fees/
http://www.optimumtraining.ca/

Natural High in Okotoks (my gym) has 2 Crossfit trainers and they run classes as well. Going to check them out one Sat. Was talking to the one guy that runs them and he mentioned they usually cut out the Olympic lifts unless they have an advanced class.

On the forum there is diet disscusions just about everyone there preaches paleo diet from what I have seen, so I would guess there would not be too many people in deficet.

I am sure that pino will know more, this is just what I have looked at.

RT16V
11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r

I don't belive they are a 100% crossfit gym, they offer classes, and they also offer classes at the YMCA, all locations I believe. There is a blog for Crossfit Calgary, but honestly it sucks from what I have seen.

http://www.crossfitcalgary.ca/
http://crossfitcalgary.ca/schedule-and-fees/
http://www.optimumtraining.ca/

Natural High in Okotoks (my gym) has 2 Crossfit trainers and they run classes as well. Going to check them out one Sat. Was talking to the one guy that runs them and he mentioned they usually cut out the Olympic lifts unless they have an advanced class.

On the forum there is diet disscusions just about everyone there preaches paleo diet from what I have seen, so I would guess there would not be too many people in deficet.

I am sure that pino will know more, this is just what I have looked at.

The crossfitcalgary site hosts their blog for the workouts of the day and the associated results that people achieve. It might seem less interesting until you are doing the workouts - either in one of their classes, or on your own. Then it's great to compare to other posts as well as look back at you previous posts when some of the workouts repeat.

Blaine

RT16V
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM

The methodology behind crossfit as it pertains to diet, centers around the proper amount of food intake to support exercise, but not fat. Food prescribed 'Paleo' in quality and 'Zone Diet' proportion "meat, vegetables, nuts & seeds. Some fruit, little starch, no sugar".

But, the beauty of the program is in it's infinite scalability of the workouts. You will be able to complete the workouts in a manner that suits your current fitness level.

Blaine

pinoyhero
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM

I've never been to the bearspaw CFit joint but I hear its fairly CFit concept centric.

The folks at the gym will tailor programs for goals including nutirtional consideration.

Totally agree with you on the caloric requirements. I've been eating Paleo for about 6 months now and at times catch myself underconsuming. Of course as you know, nutrition is ultra important, CFitters are of that belief as well.

civic_rida
11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
its crazy to see these guys do pull ups like its nothing.

RT16V
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM

I've never been to the bearspaw CFit joint but I hear its fairly CFit concept centric.

The folks at the gym will tailor programs for goals including nutirtional consideration.

Totally agree with you on the caloric requirements. I've been eating Paleo for about 6 months now and at times catch myself underconsuming. Of course as you know, nutrition is ultra important, CFitters are of that belief as well.

Yeah, Crossfit Calgary operates out of Optimum Performance Training's facility in Bearspaw. If you want customized one on one training or sport specific development, OPT is a great source for that as well. Much of OPT program development contains crossfit type content because it works so well for alot of goals.

I hear you guys on the difficulties of proper consumption eating paleo - it's hard to remember that 2 cups of broccolli = 1/2 slice of bread!

Blaine

pinoyhero
11-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
its crazy to see these guys do pull ups like its nothing.

All practice man ... did Lynne the other day ... first round was 24/36

kutt3r
11-12-2008, 01:52 PM

All practice man ... did Lynne the other day ... first round was 24/36

What were the other 4 rounds? :)
Don't tell me you blew your load on the first go...

Just kidding man, that is great work.. Very impressive!

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
^shit sorry just re-read my post didn't mean to be a bragging, "how much can you press" douche, other rounds were 15/25, 11/25, 10/18, 10/20 - so yeah I kinda blew my load on round one haha

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
one more sick performance ... here's a recent post of a guy who ran a 1:53 FRAN, OMFG

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitMontclair_Rhabdo153Fran.wmv

wiggaplz
11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Crossfit is no joke. It's like military type training. Training also never gets boring. I'd recommend it. My first night doing it, i puked. It was awesome. :werd:

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
^LOL awesome, a welcome pukie ... what WOD was it?

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Not to be boastful but if you guys are CFitting post up your WOD results on my Crossfit post so we can compare notes ... anyone do the inverted burpee WOD, wft ... haha

wiggaplz
11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
^LOL awesome, a welcome pukie ... what WOD was it?

i can't remember exactly what it was. all i remember is looking at it beforehand and thinking "this is going to be a piece of cake"...

it was 5 sets of pushups, burpees, chin ups, pullups

20, 20, 20, 20

after about three sets i wanted to cry.

wiggaplz
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Not to be boastful but if you guys are CFitting post up your WOD results on my Crossfit post so we can compare notes ... anyone do the inverted burpee WOD, wft ... haha

i did the inverted burpee just screwing around the other day....was that last sunday's ?????

pinoyhero
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

i did the inverted burpee just screwing around the other day....was that last sunday's ?????

Last Monday's ... was a long WOD