PDA

View Full Version : Race City Alive To 2015?

Z_Fan
11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
2008-October 23

Re: LEASE ON RACE CITY MOTORSPORTS

ALDERMAN MCIVER AND ALDERMAN CONNELLY

WHEREAS the City of Calgary has a lease with Race City Motorsports Inc. (RCMI) as Lessee;

AND WHEREAS Race City provides an the only real choice for Racing in Calgary;

AND WHEREAS Race City provides an outlet for those who would race on the streets to do so in a more safe environment on a track and off of the streets;

AND WHEREAS the Calgary Police Service puts valuable resources every year into preventing street racing which may need to be expanded if Race City is no longer available as an alternative;

AND WHEREAS Race City subleases to The Calgary and District Cart Racing Club, which provides a safe and family friendly environment for young people who have an interest in racing;

AND WHEREAS Race City and sub-lessees provide a tourist destination for the City of Calgary while paying over $100,000.00 per year to The City in the form of rent, tax and business tax;

AND WHEREAS Race City holds a lease that is scheduled until 2025 with The City of Calgary which is currently under dispute based on timing of renewals received and possibly other issues;

AND NOW THEREFORE BE RESOLVED THAT Administration be directed to allow Race City to continue to renew their lease based on the original terms conditions and renewal options beginning with approval to renew to 2015 as Race City Motorsports Inc. has requested.

And further be it resolved that Council directs the administration to protect access to both Race City and Calgary and District Cart Club while redesigning the Shepard Landfill.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-04-2008, 11:13 PM
It's a step in the right direction, that's for sure. Now it's time to either turn RCMP into a world-class facility or start designing a new facility to be ready for 2015.

Sorath
11-04-2008, 11:14 PM
is that still with the hardcore jacked up lease though? if it is, i dunno if the owners will want to continue the lease

Gibson
11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I read somewhere the owners don't wanna pay for repairs, especially with the impending doom of the track. Even with the extra couple of years they're getting I'm not sure it would be worth it to invest dollars into fixing the track.

ercchry
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
is that still with the hardcore jacked up lease though? if it is, i dunno if the owners will want to continue the lease

"renew their lease based on the original terms conditions and renewal options beginning "

im no lawyer but i would say no?

S13_Ryan
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
even if they do decide to continue there lease. that place needs major re vamping

Mr_ET
11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
well if this is true its a step in the right direction at the very least

DomesticBoy
11-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm for it!
Atleast we'll have a track to go all out on in a safe manner.:burnout:

cloud7
11-04-2008, 11:46 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/239848/race-city-motion-to-city-council/

what you posted is not the council minutes... it is the actual motion.

nich148_9
11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
It's a step in the right direction, that's for sure. Now it's time to either turn RCMP into a world-class facility or start designing a new facility to be ready for 2015.

First step: change the initials. ;)

Good step. Hopefully the owners get the hint to improve the track.

nissanK
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a buddy who is now one of the top 5 investors for race city now. He's got some great ideas that will really help the track come back alive. Even though they may only be there for the next couple of years, there is talk of upgrading the existing facility.:clap: (Talk right now but they are serious about it.)

No point in trying to open up a new track if you can't get back the customers. If all goes well, they will come back.

TurboD
11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
this is good news so far, i will be watching carefully for updates on it.

race city is the reason for my car build.

cyrusli
11-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by TurboD
this is good news so far, i will be watching carefully for updates on it.

race city is the reason for my car build.

:werd:

euro_racer
11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
if this does happen that would mean i would not have to sell my car and finally finish it the way i wanted to in the first place :D

although the old track is shitty, at least it is someting :burnout:

Dj_Stylz
11-05-2008, 07:37 AM
I hope they keep the track. But if they keep it they should fix it atleast.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by nich148_9

First step: change the initials. ;)

Good step. Hopefully the owners get the hint to improve the track.

What's wrong with the RCMP initials?

Race City Motor Park

Mr_ET
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Royal Canadian Mounted Police maybe?;)

89s1
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Hope this turns out to be true :thumbsup:

Spoons
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
I read somewhere the owners don't wanna pay for repairs, especially with the impending doom of the track. Even with the extra couple of years they're getting I'm not sure it would be worth it to invest dollars into fixing the track.

I don't understand why they wouldn't want to.

If they put money into the track, they could get their sanctioning back, see lots more events up here, even some bigger ones, and create tourism.

I don't think they understand that City of Calgary was so quick with their original decision because Race City wasn't really producing that much revenue or anything. If they fixed it up and became a real tourist attraction, the City of Calgary would be more keen on keeping it running, maybe past 2015.

Roaring G60
11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Eventually the N.W. corner of the property will become a on/off ramp for the Ring road so....

Redlyne_mr2
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
If the city can spend the money for some stupid median with trees along memorial then they can spend the money to have RC paved.

Casa
11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

I don't understand why they wouldn't want to.

If they put money into the track, they could get their sanctioning back, see lots more events up here, even some bigger ones, and create tourism.

I don't think they understand that City of Calgary was so quick with their original decision because Race City wasn't really producing that much revenue or anything. If they fixed it up and became a real tourist attraction, the City of Calgary would be more keen on keeping it running, maybe past 2015.

yes because race tracks are huge sources of "tourism" in Calgary :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
If the city can spend the money for some stupid median with trees along memorial then they can spend the money to have RC paved.

i very much agree.

Spoons
11-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Casa
yes because race tracks are huge sources of "tourism" in Calgary :rolleyes:

Well your banned, so whatever if you called me out.

None the less I will comment on it like you are not a total idiot and not banned for the sake that I have something to say for that as well.

Race tracks are not a huge tourist attraction in Calgary because we have a shitty facility. Why would people come here for it when there is no big events cause we are not sanctioned. Look at the Grand Prix that goes on in Edmonton... it's HUGE when it comes. Yes it is at the airport and not the track, but imagine if we could get events like that here... It would be a huge tourist attraction.

Only someone with a pretty thick skull and ignorant would say that a new track would not bring tourism... it's not like the automotive world is some underground thing and no one really watches it.

DragZilla
11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
The IHRA national event in edm brings in millions of dollars for edm for a single weekend... I'd say thats a pretty decent source of tourism

DJ Lazy
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I think this facility would steal alot of the "tourism" we all think RCMP would bring to calgary.

http://badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/intro.php

Spoons
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
I think this facility would steal alot of the "tourism" we all think RCMP would bring to calgary.

Um yep that would do it... but it's only an hour away from Calgary which is awesome.

Hello decent track days...

S13_Ryan
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
this badlands thing is still a very long time from reality isnt it?

Mr_ET
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think we'll hear if this motion was approved until early January as the vote on this has been postponed. That is what I was reading on speedracer.ca.

Lovitt
11-27-2008, 08:31 PM
This is kind of a thread jack but do you guys ever have an import/street car only day/weekend. We usually do it here in the maritimes and it's typically been a pretty big hit.
It's a really good time, and it brings everyone together for a fun weekend to get to know each other.
Hope all goes well with Race City comming back alive!

03ozwhip
11-28-2008, 03:35 PM
^^^street car/bikes on fridays in the spring and summer, not only tuners though.

gamman
11-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

2015 would be great. We need to keep lobbying our Alderman to keep it going.

Actually, the badlands has huge potential, if its any good (as it looks), it being a mini nurburgring/SE US (can't remember where, 11km track with 220 turns - Atlanta area).

If it is anywhere near as good as those, it could be a huge tourist destination. But that won't happen, as winter here is not friendly to asphalt, and the spring will cause huge heaves/potholes. At least its in a desert area, which could help the asphalt live longer, but it won't. A multi-million dollar facility (in Calgary) can't stay alive, how can something outside Calgary be even better?

bakerboy
12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
the biggest reason why race city will be closing sooner then 2015 is because the city offered to demolish race city and pay to clean it up if they are out sooner but if the owner wait then they have to pay to demolish race city. :thumbsdow

bakerboy
12-06-2008, 08:50 PM
and race city needs to get there sit togeather get on with ihra fully or nhra fully and have some events and they need to have it open fri and sat nites for the race track.