PDA

View Full Version : I think I got scammed..... Well 90% sure I did!

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Heres the story....
(Spare me the 'should have known better speech.. I know that already!)

A guy I knew from highschool sends me a message on facebook saying he was desperate for cash and would sell me a 46" LCD TV for $400.. Super deal right? Yeah I thought so too.

Basically I meet up with him, and he comes without the TV, but gives me some long sob story involving needing the money for a flight to see his Grandma... and his gf took his truck from work with the TV in it, but will meet with me later.
Against my better judgement I gave him the money... and agreed to meet up with them later in the day. I know I shouldnt have.... but figured a guy I was friends with prior wouldnt screw me over.

So here I sit the next day... down $400 and no TV to show.

He wrote me a bill of sale, signed it, put his address on it, as well as his and his gf's cell numbers. (Talked to him twice after the deal yesterday) As well I got his license plate number, and I also know where his parents live, and their contact info.

Anyways... Any thoughts/suggestions on what I should do if I dont hear back??

My thoughts are:
-Send a message to EVERYONE on his FB friends list..
-Drop by his parents house..
-Try to get a Cop to give him a call
-Somehow trace the license plate (Beyond help??)

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.. but I am thinking its time I start to get a plan of recourse...

Thx!

prae
11-05-2008, 09:15 AM
when a deal is too good to be true...

The_Rural_Juror
11-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by prae
when a deal is too good to be true...

At least you didn't advise him to get his friend to pay half on a new tv.

urban.one
11-05-2008, 09:20 AM
he probably wasnt lying about the fact that he's desperate for cash. the cash is probably spent already and theres likely no TV that ever existed.
if the guys a lowlife that would scam a friend hes probably quite desperate (drugs, gambling, owes money to scarier dudes than yourself). not sure what you could do. you could contact the parents but if the guys a lowlife the parents probably know and wont do much.

prae
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

hah.. :(

prae
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
he probably wasnt lying about the fact that he's desperate for cash. the cash is probably spent already and theres likely no TV that ever existed.
if the guys a lowlife that would scam a friend hes probably quite desperate (drugs, gambling, owes money to scarier dudes than yourself). not sure what you could do. you could contact the parents but if the guys a lowlife the parents probably know and wont do much.

R-Audi is in his late 20's so likely his friend is close. Do you really think his parents would do shit? hah

Tik-Tok
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

My thoughts are:

Do the facebook on FIRST, and right away. You wouldn't want any of your other mutual friends to get ripped off in the same fashion.

7thgenvic
11-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Im sure his parents will give you the cash! sounds like a douche. I would keep trying to contact him and maybe even drop by his house

LadyLuck
11-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Its only been 1 day?
Give it until tomorrow, if you dont get the TV, call his parents then let everyone on facebook know.

topmade
11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Losers like that don't think too much about the consequences of what they are doing.

If you send a message to EVERYONE on his FB account, he might contact you and say that was a very low thing to do and now you made him angry and it's all your fault because you ruined his so called image.

Monkey see, monkey do, his parents probably won't give a shit.

Good luck, maybe PM DayGlow?:D

What will this accomplish? You going to threaten or beat him up? I guess you can send him a nice sized rock via air mail

You could take him to court with the bill of sale and stuff, but for $400, it seems like a waste of time and effort.

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by prae

R-Audi is in his late 20's so likely his friend is close. Do you really think his parents would do shit? hah

Umm Hi? How do you know me?

But yes.. Im not going to take any actions today.. just wait it out and try to get a hold of him to give him a chance, but I do want to have a plan of action.

Not sure if his parents would do anything or not.. according to him they have been helping him out lately with school.. so they should at least be able to contact him.

Oh, and Im not looking to physically harm this guy in anyway.. just get my cash or TV!

Tik-Tok
11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by topmade

If you send a message to EVERYONE on his FB account, he might contact you and say that was a very low thing to do and now you made him angry and it's all your fault because you ruined his so called image.

Yeah, but at least it could stop potential future victims.

Maybe the first step should be to just write on his wall, something to the effect of "Hey man, just wondering where that TV you sold me is?"

That way, it's warning others, without completely calling him out. He may actually get you the tv (if he actually has it)

prae
11-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Umm Hi? How do you know me?

Umm Hi? Have you met your beyond profile (http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1029) ? It knows you pretty well.

van
11-05-2008, 09:45 AM
First contact his parents and try to work something out. If that doesn't work then you can do the next best thing.

You'll need to message EVERYONE on his friends list, same Copy and Paste message and THEN you will want to make a facebook group page about him and send it to all YOUR friends and get them to do the same.

Afterwards, you can come back on beyond make a thread "I've been scammed by (First Name) (Last Name). What a criminal!" and put your story in there and beyond will do the rest. lol

Hope it works out for you.

topmade
11-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but at least it could stop potential future victims.

Maybe the first step should be to just write on his wall, something to the effect of "Hey man, just wondering where that TV you sold me is?"

That way, it's warning others, without completely calling him out. He may actually get you the tv (if he actually has it)
That's a good idea, and I guess it would help if I knew how FB worked since I never use it :D

I also missed the part that it's only been like a day, so give the guy a bit more time, but make sure you keep asking for it because days will turn into weeks, weeks into months, and so on.

sillysod
11-05-2008, 09:49 AM
if u write on his wall and he doesn't like it he will just block u then u r fucked.

Kloubek
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Give the guy a day or two and try to keep in touch with him.

Then contact his parents. If they don't care, then do the Facebook, though I doubt that will do much. If all else fails, call the cops.

D'z Nutz
11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Hahaha! Winnah!

BlackArcher101
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
F'n facebook. Am I the only one that thinks facebook should be left out of it for now? Like hell... what if the guy had to leave early to visit his grandmother and can't get you the tv until he comes back. Then when he does come back, he finds a ton of messages sent to his friends denouncing him on facebook during a family emergency. Did he say when he was flying?

Don't do shit until you know the full story here, otherwise you may come out looking like the fool in all this. Sure he said you'd have it that day... but frick, it's been ONE day and you have yet to hear his excuse as to why.

You can take this slower and do it the proper way instead of resorting to threats right away since you have all his info. He can't really hide from you.

First, call the numbers he gave you wondering what's up (his and the gf's). Leave messages, give him time to get back to you.

Second attempt, call his parents. Don't tell them about the whole situation quite yet, just say that you have been trying to reach him but he's not getting back to you. They might tell you why. If you start off talking about a scam... well, parents usually start to defend their children (most of the time).

Third attempt, visit his house personally and demand refund. If no go, then get his parents fully up to date and see if they do anything.

Fourth attempt, THEN go to facebook, but keep it civil in case you need to go to the fifth attempt.

Fifth attempt, COURT BEOTCH

and cops won't do shit... this is a civil matter

Tik-Tok
11-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Don't do shit until you know the full story here, otherwise you may come out looking like the fool in all this. Sure he said you'd have it that day... but frick, it's been ONE day and you have yet to hear his excuse as to why.

Really, it's more than just "one day". Personally, I wouldn't have even shown up to sell a tv, unless I had the TV, IN HAND. I would have called and said, sorry, my girlfriend took my truck with the tv, how about we meet up tomorrow instead?

His character is already in question just because of that alone.

max_boost
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Meh, benefit of the doubt? fuck that man. This is a transaction yo! money exchanged for goods.

You would be surprised how well some people lie. No different than those ladies hanging around banks or gas stations asking you for $10 telling you how they are a single mother, need $10 for cab/bus fare somewhere etc. They've done it so many times, damn convincing at it!

Mind you your high school friend is pulling quite the scheme to get $400 out of you (if he is scamming you) but if he really needed to see grandma, mom and dad would help out right? There are alternatives.

Sorry bro, you've been pwned! I could be wrong and you still get your TV or maybe your cash (doubt it) but it just sucks waiting around ya know!

analbumcover
11-05-2008, 10:26 AM
R Audi, why wouldn't you want to harm this guy?

He has no problem jacking you up for $400.

Show him the same respect he has shown you

prae
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by analbumcover
R Audi, why wouldn't you want to harm this guy?

He has no problem jacking you up for $400.

Show him the same respect he has shown you

imo, that type of response might help ease his emotional loss but would do nothing for getting his money back

but who am I to advise in a situation like this lol

djayz
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I know how you feel man, I lent a friend money thinking he was a good guy. Then he lost his job so I gave him time to get things together and find a job so he could pay me back and that took like 4 months. Now 2 months after he has had a job at "Calgary BMW" of all places he keeps coming up with bullshit excuses to not pay me back.

Just found our recently too that he borrowed a set of wheels from another friend so he could get his car mobile and he's been riding on them for 8 months without payment and everyone I talked to about them told me he always claimed they were his!

Damn low lifes. It sounds like you're in a tough situation but atleast you can contact the parents if you have to or ruin him on facebook haha. Good luck!

CUG
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Tell EVERYONE, but be clear on your case. Don't speculate. Lay everything out in a fact based manner so that you can easily respond to scrutiny.

max_boost
11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
^^

Money ruins friendships man. There are very few people I would lend money to. Plus somehow I always get made into the bad guy so fuck that shit!

SilverRex
11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
ouch, anyways 400 inst too big, so I would take it as a lesson learned.

if you are lucky, maybe you may get something back when the person feels guilty or has money. But in the end, I would never pay in advance without getting the goods. Maybe a deposit or something but not the full amount anyways.

just be glad it isnt 4000 dollars :)

oh and that goes the same saying when you lend money to anyone even your best friend. Only lend on the assumption that you are prepare to face the fact that you will not get a single penny back otherwise if you feel upset about it then dont lend.

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Well I sent him a text to both numbers to contact me before noon if this deal was legit... ( I couldnt get an answer at either number)
So I guess we will see what happens.

As for the violence.. it really doesnt solve anything, not to mention I could possibly end up with a record which isnt worth it at all... especially over $400.

ZorroAMG
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Not if it's Ahmed that breaks his knees.

PM me for Ahmed's digits.

LOL :angel:

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Thx Mark! I may be in contact with you! Err I mean thats a terrible idea!

Related.. does anyone know someone who works at the Palliser??

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Well its Official! I've been had!
I called another guy that supposedly saw the TV and turned it down... and he also put a deposit down on it! Needless to say it was a very similiar story. End result: No money, no TV!

Just in Case anyone knows the guy:

.DEAN BALSILLIE IS A THEIF AND A SCAMMER

If he calls or contacts anyone about a TV, dont listen and tell him never to call again.

Im currently contacting my lawyer to help me draw up a letter for small claims court

prae
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
post some pics of this tool from his facebook for chop madness plox

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Well that blows.

Moe Man
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Listen to me very carefully, get one of your friends that know him fairly well to ask him if he has a TV for sale. He, being the coward that he is will say: "Ya! I have a TV for sale, I will give it to you for 400 bux". Then arrange a meeting place to purchase the TV and kick the shit outa him! :thumbsup:

The_Rural_Juror
11-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear R-Audi. Here's an entertaining video to take your mind off things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/bjoehandley/Funny%20Stuff/imagesyoutube.png

Also. I doubt that $400 is worth getting a lawyer involved. Unless his name is Ahmed (pronounced Achk-med).

A790
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
PM me and I can offer some out-of-the-box ideas. I'm an internet marketer, so use your imagination as to what they might be... ;)

TomcoPDR
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark, I've been pwned too, coincidentally for $400 too. (not dwelling on it, just saying)

Maybe post something on his facebook wall: "Hey man how's it going? So please don't forget about that TV that I've already paid you $400 for, but let me know when you have time"

I :dunno: I don't specialize in recovery.

5hift
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
Listen to me very carefully, get one of your friends that know him fairly well to ask him if he has a TV for sale. He, being the coward that he is will say: "Ya! I have a TV for sale, I will give it to you for 400 bux". Then arrange a meeting place to purchase the TV and kick the shit outa him! :thumbsup:

This is what I was thinking. Set him up and fuck him up. If he goes to the police, he will be ratting himself for scamming at least two people so I dont see that happening.

You know way too much about this guy and where to find him to let it go. He used your emotions and past and played you, I dont see how you cant want revenge more than just a dead end in small claims.

Boosted Gtir
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Pretty damn low IMO. It is kinda sad how people will play off others kindness just for a buck... :thumbsdow

megavolt
11-05-2008, 01:16 PM
It's probably up his nose by now... that's what happened when my so called good friend came to me asking for $400.

prae
11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Boosted Gtir
Pretty damn low IMO. It is kinda sad how people will play off others kindness just for a buck... :thumbsdow

I would not call R-Audi's attempt to buy a TV at an obviously DESPERATE price kindness.

Canmorite
11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Some non jail-time pwnage sounds about right.

TomcoPDR
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I guess you're not the only one who's been a victim of this guy eh Mark?

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Well the story gets better...

He has apparently hit up 4 other people from our graduating class, and no one thought to say a thing! Most have been within the last month as well....

Needless to say Im not gonna be another one that sits back and lets this guy take advantage of me.

dezmarez
11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
was this guy a friend from high school?
or just a guy u knew that u would see at parties and stuff?

szw
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Set him up and kick his ass. You will also need a large, preferably oriental, rug.

TomcoPDR
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Did your HS reunion just finished or in a year or so??

http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/03/photo_320x240_intervention.jpg

max_boost
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Not if it's Ahmed that breaks his knees.

PM me for Ahmed's digits.

LOL :angel:

Ahhh yes.....there has to be a market for the services of someone like Ahmed. Someone to take care of the dirty work when you've been wronged. :devil:

R-Audi
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
So who was it that could trace license plate numbers??

Mind PM'ing me??

On a side note.. the Police are now involved.

WhippWhapp
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

Money ruins friendships man. There are very few people I would lend money to. Plus somehow I always get made into the bad guy so fuck that shit!

How true- I NEVER lend money that I can't afford to give away!

BlackArcher101
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, now everything has changed... Post up his picture and start the Beyond jihad!

prae
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Post up his picture and start the Beyond jihad!

:werd:

Moe Man
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
So who was it that could trace license plate numbers??

Mind PM'ing me??

On a side note.. the Police are now involved.

I could but if the police are involved now, I wont.

PM me the plate number and i MIGHT get you info.

cam_wmh
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
WTF. I knew "of" Dean from Jr High. I just looked him up on Facebook and we have quite a few mutual friends.

Which high school did he go to? Beaverbrook? His folks still in Douglasdale?

01RedDX
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM

R-Audi
11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I beleive Dean went to Beaverbrook and WIC... and I beleive his parents still live in Douglasdale.

Im just currently trying to decide whether or not to just go thru Police.. or other means and actually try to get my money back.
Im not going to post a picture as I am currently saving them for ht Police file.. and I don want to cross any lines here.

scortracer
11-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Have you tried contacting his parents yet? Maybe they have no idea whats going on and will help with the putting him to justice.

R-Audi
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Apparently they have bailed him out of similiar situations at Willow Park Golf Course.. and sent him to rehab.. so Im pretty sure they are aware.. it really comes down to their feeling of responsibility. Depending on how long this has gone on for, they may just not care!

cam_wmh
11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Yikes. Drug problem? Well good luck.

kwazy
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
This is what you do, tell another mutual friend to send him a email or msg on facebook saying that your friend will pay him $400 for a TV. When he meets with him, bring all the people that he scammed, beat the shit out of him

You won't ever see the $400 again, my as well get some satisfaction of kicking his ass out of it.

LegendRacer
11-06-2008, 07:39 PM
i didnt read any of hte posts, so i dono if this was asked yet...

is her gf hot...if so....ask yourself if shes worth 400 lol

TomcoPDR
11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by LegendRacer

is her gf hot...if so....ask yourself if shes worth 400 lol

How do you even know she has a gf?

kwazy
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM
^^ Dudes a junky, which makes it more than likely his gf if he has one is a crack whore.

phrozen
11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Lol, straight up, defs. needed the money for crack, or other
drugs.

sabad66
11-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Shitty deal man... I've had this happen to me before. Money is 100% up his nose or in a glass pipe. Live and learn. Don't trust anyone

R-Audi
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Since Beyond has been kicking ass and taking names lately... thought I would bump this back up! (In case any of you are bored!)

I have filed a report with Police.. over a year ago, and not suprisingly heard nothing back.

If anyone would like to mess with this guy, have at 'er.

Name is Dean Balsillie, and I will get more info on Monday.. I had phone number, license plate etc.

Enjoy!

syeve
01-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Sweet, the other one died too quickly, not enough fight from the scammer. This was back when Beyond CSI was just baby.

dj_rice
01-30-2010, 08:18 PM
:facepalm:

Hai gaiz, I got scammed back in 1987, guy sold me a fake Transformer of Optimus Prime.

R-Audi
01-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Its obviously in the past.. but it seems to me like most of the people in the other threads enjoy this.. so if you are bored, go for it.

KrisYYC
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I graduated from Beaverbrook in '98 but this guys name doesn't ring a bell.

But I've noticed some of his friends on FB are people I do recognize.

Is he a drop out?

xxxazntigerxx
01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
hire some goons u can afford it you drive a s4 hahaha

nonlinear
01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/people/Dean-Balsillie/597410441?_fb_noscript=1

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2664/deanbalsillie.jpg

with respect to some earlier posts, looks like a crackhead, scams like a crackhead.... must be a crackhead!

chkolny541
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
i honestly cant believe you gave him the money without the tv, i wouldnt do this if it was my best friend selling the tv