PDA

View Full Version : Plans for Guy Fawkes Day?

TKRIS
11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
The Bonfire Prayer

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason, and plot,
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent
To blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below,
Poor old England to overthrow;

By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip hoorah!

A penny loaf to feed the Pope.
A farthing o' cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A faggot of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.

Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.
Hip hip hoorah!
Hip hip hoorah hoorah!

So. Anyone have any plans? Starting anything on fire?
I was tossing around some ideas, but unfortunatly I don't think I'll have much time tonight to get into anything too legally objectionable.

sputnik
11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
In Canada you will just look like a retard that was a week late for Halloween.

TKRIS
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
In Canada you will just look like a retard that was a week late for Halloween.

IMS, Guy Fawkes night is, or at least was, pretty big in the Maritimes. I'm not talking about puttin on a silly mask and dancing around. I'm talking about celebrating the idea of Guy Fawkes (even if you don't support his methods), and maybe doing something to let Big Brother know that we're still here, still questioning, and will only be pushed so far.

Of course, that's a completely foreign idea to most people, so I don't expect much of a reaction.

Penis McNickels
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Isn't Guy Fawkes night about making fun of his failure to blow up the government?

He's not considered a hero in this case.

semograd
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
To 95% of the people (sheep) in Calgary questioning "the man" IS a completely foreign idea.

Supa Dexta
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't think I've ever heard of it..

sputnik
Originally posted by semograd
To 95% of the people (sheep) in Calgary questioning "the man" IS a completely foreign idea.

http://www.nouvelordremondial.cc/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

TKRIS
Originally posted by Penis McNickels
Isn't Guy Fawkes night about making fun of his failure to blow up the government?

He's not considered a hero in this case.

Going off what I remember about the history of the celebration, I believe it depends on where you are.
I believe the state did their damndest to overrun the idea, and that that still exists in some places (primarily in England), but more often than not, the night is a celebration of the attempt.

He is considered by many to be a hero, if not for his methodology (which i do not condone), then for his suffering and courage. The fact that they didn't successfully blow up the House isn't really relevant. It's a celebration of the idea, not the result.

sputnik
11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Guy Fawkes isn't treated like a hero on Guy Fawkes Day.

Effigies of him are burned by those celebrating.

I think you are getting Guy Fawkes Day mixed up with the movie version of V for Vendetta.

If that is the case you might even want to hear what Alan Moore (author and creator of the comic book V for Vendetta) had to say about the movie.

"[The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country… It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives—which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England."

semograd
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM

http://www.nouvelordremondial.cc/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/its-a-conspiracy.jpg

That's a hilarious clip but I don't know what that has to do with my post, i believe that we should always keep our government in check by keeping ourselves up to date with day to day politics and openly questioning it.

I just think that that aspect is not alive amongst calgarians and we have grown used to letting the government handle everything for us.

Oh and before you call me a conspiracy theorist i would like to let you know that I work for the government.

TKRIS
11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Guy Fawkes isn't treated like a hero on Guy Fawkes Day.

Like I said, that depends on where you're celebrating.
You're right that in a lot of places, and in the Bonfire Prayer posted above, the government's side is taken, and it's a celebration of the failure.
However, in many other places it celebrates the attempt (as I do).
Keep in mind that at the time of the plot, and for quite a long time hence, celebrating the attempt would likely get your ass killed. So the traditions arose around the state ordered celebration of the failure. Since that is not a factor anymore (and hasn't been for a long time), more and more are making their own decisions on why the night should be celebrated and siding with my views.

GTI CANADIAN
11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Back in Newfoundland, we always had bonfire night because of Guy Fawkes. Given that we were British subjects up until 1949.

It's supposedly in commenoration of his capture. But given the strong irish heritage, I believe it's to remember that he tried!

If anyone ever looks into the history of the Irish, and the devastation inflicted by the British and Oliver Cromwell, you will see that Guy Fawkes' Attempt should be commemorated.

And that in the end, the british got what they deserved...a run-down, over populated, country. Oh yeah, and Bad teeth from all the imbreeding over the years.

sputnik
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
Back in Newfoundland, we always had bonfire night because of Guy Fawkes. Given that we were British subjects up until 1949.

It's supposedly in commenoration of his capture. But given the strong irish heritage, I believe it's to remember that he tried!

If anyone ever looks into the history of the Irish, and the devastation inflicted by the British and Oliver Cromwell, you will see that Guy Fawkes' Attempt should be commemorated.

And that in the end, the british got what they deserved...a run-down, over populated, country. Oh yeah, and Bad teeth from all the imbreeding over the years.

I thought Guy Fawkes was more about the fact that some Catholics didn't like their Protestant king.

Seems like religious thing to me.

kertejud2
11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Had Fawkes actually succeeded, then the opression against Catholics would have been unimaginable, it was the fact that he almost succeeded is what made it a success, as Catholic opression saw a regression. It has nothing to do with Ireland/England (Fawkes was English through and through, and the Irish were opressed because they were Irish, not really because they were catholic), it was a catholic-protestant thing.

So in short, Bonfire Night was created to commemorate the foiling of the plot and celebrate the monarchy. I know a few families who celebrate it here, and they're all English and take part in the traditional methods (efigies, God Save the King etc.). I've never actually heard of people using it for anything else, except of course for the ironic usage in V for Vendetta.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Richard Hammond hosted a show about whether or not the plot would have worked. Here's the result.

57-BJmeh9y0

TKRIS
11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
I've never actually heard of people using it for anything else, except of course for the ironic usage in V for Vendetta.

My neighbour remembers celebrating it in a way similar to my own interpretation when he was a kid in Newfyland 35+years ago.

Like I said before, everything I can dig up leads me to believe much of how you interpret the celebration depends on your background and where you're from.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Oh, and I almost forgot, Richard Hammond hosted a show about whether or not the plot would have worked. Here's the result.

Exploding the Myth was really quite interesting, they really did go to great lengths to reproduce the explosion.