PDA

View Full Version : Accident Question

PaleRider
11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I was involved in a car accident today, as I rear-ended another car. The other driver said she is OK and then she examined her car. After that she told me her car is fine (older model of Honda CRV) and then she drove away without exchanging any info. My car (2001 Honda Civic) has a bent hood (probably caused by CRV's spare tire) and various scratches on my front bumper. Bumper is still firmly attached to the car, all lights are functional, car still drivable.

What do I need do next?

I was planning on getting a new car in a few months anyway therefore at this time I am leaning towards not fixing the car.

Thank you.

gretz
11-05-2008, 03:46 PM
next? sell her really cheap, take your losses

Melinda
11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
You have three options:

1) Hike your insurance rates and make your insurance pay for your negligence
2) Pay for it yourself out of pocket
3) Sell it damaged for way less than what it's worth and start fresh

Not too hard...:dunno:

PaleRider
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
oh I guess I wasn't clear, I am wondering if I need to notify police (file police report etc ,etc..), get any paperwork before I can sell it damaged.

Melinda
11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
If there's more than $1000 damage, then yes, you have to get an accident report filled out.

redblack
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
to replace the hood and replace the bumper should be more than 1000 bucks at a body shop and you will need a damage sticker. or you can try to find another hood and replace it yourself

prae
11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
plenty of shops will do the work without a sticker but legally they are supposed to have a sticker.

You got super lucky the lady gave you a break and drove off.

The other way to go about it is to bring in parts separately to be painted. I.E. buy a new or salvaged OEM hood and bring it to the bodyshop to get painted. Same with the bumper.

Doing it that way will save you some bucks and avoid the need for a police report.

Tik-Tok
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleRider
oh I guess I wasn't clear, I am wondering if I need to notify police (file police report etc ,etc..), get any paperwork before I can sell it damaged.

Definitely notify the police. You never know, she might get home tell her husband, then her husband will freak and call it in as a hit and run.