PDA

View Full Version : I fucked up.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2008, 09:27 PM
So as some of you read, my window on my civic was smashed. A very helpful beyonder offered me a free door, and I was ecstatic. I wason my way after work today to pick up said door.

I was travelling down crowchild doing 70-80. I was coming up on the glenmore exit, in rush hour traffic, leaving some distance between the car in front of me.

The truck in front of him hit a mazda jeep (cx-9?) which bumped into a cr-v, which nudged a van, which nudged a civic.

The intrepid in front of me slammed on the brakes, avoiding the truck. I slammed on my brakes, not avoiding the intrepid.

My car is toast.

I don't have pics, I was too shaken up. It was my fault, for any number of reasons. No wating the truck, not leaving enough space, whatever. Thankfully no one was hurt, but the truck ran off. No one got his plate. My front end is a mess.

There appears to be no damage whatsoever to the intrepid. Besides the face that my bumper hit his muffler, and I snapped one of his clamps. No one was hurt.

I'm going to try and get pics at the impound lot, when I get it out. I'm going to look into a new vehicle, a beater most likely, something low profile. Nothing fast.

Basically, I want suggestions on vehicles. I'm avoiding cav's and sunfires, but I was thinking along the lines of a late 90's 2000ish golf.

Please don't ream me out. I'll be parting out my car soon.

Hood is toast. Rad it toast. Not sure about the engine, may be ok. Was still running after the accident. Summer rims are in my garage, as well as some ebay, OEM replicas of EG hatch fogs (yellow of course).

I also have a cf duckbill, netami steering wheel + hub, ITR shift knob.

I'll be keeping all the audio stuff for my next car.

EDIT 2:

Updated on page 2. Engine is fine (aside from some glass). So anyone who wants that/headers, FYI.

Would like to part the thing out as a whole, and would like to keep all audio (deck/speakers/amps/sub) for my next ride.

EDIT:

Pics from the impound lot.

http://members.shaw.ca/vetrius/Front.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/vetrius/Side.jpg

Oldskool
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Shitty luck!

at least your ok!

jdm_eg6
11-05-2008, 09:32 PM
*** NOOOOOOO ****

F*uck man, so sorry to hear that EGHS is down another member... Good to hear you came out ok though!

funkedelic2
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Never admit you fucked up on Beyond!
Shitty deal, i know how much it hurts to lose a car you have had for a long time. Hope you find something soon and glad your okay

ExtraSlow
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Sorry to hear it man.

Deetz
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Sad to hear.......good your not injured

TomcoPDR
11-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry to hear that dude. :(

403ep3
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
shitty deal

one of my fav eg6s in calgary :(

theken
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
i seen the cops and stuff there earlier, wondered how that happened

shin0bi
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Glad you aren't hurt. That's a shitty deal, but any accident you can walk away from is worth being thankful for.

Good luck with the car purchase and the insurance payout.

Kennyredline
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Never admit you fucked up on Beyond!
Shitty deal, i know how much it hurts to lose a car you have had for a long time. Hope you find something soon and glad your okay
Forget that...nice to hear someone take responsibility...shitty to hear though dude.

Neil4Speed
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Forget that...nice to hear someone take responsibility...shitty to hear though dude.

Agreed.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, I am always looking at cars and will let you know if you come across anything.

eglove
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
that sucks man :(

i'll be sure to ravage some parts off your ride though

Jlude
11-05-2008, 10:07 PM
similar situation happened with my prelude bud (only it wasn't my fault), it's not the end of the world.

Main thing is that no one was hurt.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi
Glad you aren't hurt. That's a shitty deal, but any accident you can walk away from is worth being thankful for.

Good luck with the car purchase and the insurance payout.

No payout for me. I'm trying to avoid insurance at all costs. I don't have collision. And hopefully the guy I hit is willing to let me pay cash. He has my contact info, and I have his.

Thanks for the support guys.
Anyone know where I can look for a 2.5rs? 99-01?

I was hoping I could find a 1/2 decent one.

I'm not looking for anything fast, just reliable, and maybe a little more luxurious/not so go kart.

blacklabel
11-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Horrible news. I was just involved in a crash myself. Hopefully, the didn't get any whiplash, I got nailed and have to do 20-30 sessions to get back to normal.

lumss
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
nooo, defintely one my favorite eg's around too!!
and if it makes you feel better ill buy some stuff to help you make money haha

A790
11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh fuck man, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad you're okay though :)

Kloubek
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Crappy news man. Glad you're ok.

Shitty the honk in the truck drove off eh? Guess he figured the blame was on him!

Yeah, you might have been too close. But if other people wouldn't act like losers, you'd probably be ok. Today driving to work on 16th, going like... 80, this woman was on my tail so close I could not see her headlights. People are idiots.

I think you'd be better off with another civic over a golf.

The_Rural_Juror
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Shit happens smurfman. At least you are you manning up. :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I've gotten a lot of pm's guys.

Yes. I am parting out. I will try to come up with a thread tomorrow. Everything from the windshield back will be good. Look at my gallery for mods.

Not sure if the header is ok, exhaust should be fine, and I'm not 100% sure about the engine, but it may make a good block for a build. Probably not too good as a whole at this point. Same thing with the tranny, but who knows.

I'm talking to Norm about cars now, the big thing hangs on financing it, and insurance. Insurance is probably my biggest killer. A few more months, and I would been home free in that area.

rc2002
11-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I saw the line up of cars on the median of Southbound Crowchild just before Glenmore today at about 7pm. I thought the Civic looked familiar.

Anyway, just be glad you walked away from it. Good luck with the new car search.

arian_ma
11-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Sorry to hear man, that really sucks.

infected
11-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Sorry to hear, glad you're alright though.

HybridTheory
11-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Dude what a shitty week you're having...well at least you're ok...

We'll have to give your car a proper goodbye...you know like the Fiero on HIMYM

max_boost
11-06-2008, 12:55 AM
All that matters is that you are alright. Sorry to hear.

GTS Jeff
11-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
It was my fault, for any number of reasons. No wating the truck, not leaving enough space, whatever. Props for manning up. I always facepalm when people try to pass the blame off all the time, so it's nice to see someone just straight up admit their own shortcomings.

Good luck with shit.

Dj_Stylz
11-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Damn Jory i know you had some plan's and stuff to swap the engine in stuff. Sucks mang. Glad your alright though.

InLoveWitRSX
11-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow that totally sucks to hear, good thing youre uninjured jor.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know the whole procedure with getting a car out of the impound lot?

I know I need to prove I own it, but should I arrange a tow truck before hand, or call them when I get there?

Also, who do you guys suggest to tow it for me?

Thanks

The reason I'm in a rush to get it out, is because I heard the impound fees tend to build up pretty fast.

hoamic11
11-06-2008, 09:12 AM
awww, sorry dude

Casa
11-06-2008, 09:15 AM
thats brutal man i'm sorry to hear about this.

rc2002
11-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Are you sure the car's not repairable? You mentioned rad and hood so the rad support is probably gone but the rest of it might be salvageable.

It's a huge loss to just part out since you're not going through insurance. If it's fixable - that may be a better solution.

hypnotoad
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Well at least it was just a civic. Who knows maybe next time you might damage a nice car. That would terrible. I'm cereal.

djayz
11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by hypnotoad
I'm cereal.

And I'm milk :eek:

Sorry to hear about this man, hopefully everything works out for you and glad to hear nothing serious happened.

Redlyne_mr2
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Way to man up.. glad youre ok.. time for a new project:)

analbumcover
11-06-2008, 09:51 AM
that sucks buddy, since you have all those extra parts why wouldnt you want another EG?

snow_daniel
11-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Suck to hear about the car :thumbsdow
Good to hear you are ok :thumbsup:

Eleanor
11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Dude, that sucks. I saw the accordian last night driving home and thought I recognized the EG hatch.

Good to hear you're okay and gl with the new car purchase :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by analbumcover
that sucks buddy, since you have all those extra parts why wouldnt you want another EG?

I want something newer, with more luxuries. Maybe AC, power windows, that kind of thing. I see this more as a push to get out of the car.

As for restoring it, it may not be a complete write-off, but front of it just seemed to collapse, and getting it all put back together and working is more effort than I really want to put into it, and the resale would be shit after that. In an accident, and who knows what the frame is like.

Besides, it's a 92, 16, almost 17 years old, and it's got close to 300k on the body.

I'd really love to get into a 2.5RS, I've wanted one for years now, but no one seems to have any for sale.

toastgremlin
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd really love to get into a 2.5RS, I've wanted one for years now, but no one seems to have any for sale. Washington state has a bunch of Subarus if you're willing to go through the import process, so chances are they'll have some RS models. The insurance on them is much higher than other Subaru models, even newer WRXes, though. I think it's something to do with being a coupe.

SilverRex
11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
hmm sorry to hear what happened. its difficult to maintain a crash free record in this city now days.

by the way would this consider a hit and round ordeal? because if the blame is on the trunk that took off, you may be entitle to claim for insurance under the registry act of alberta. Not many people know about this but the city of calgary covers you so long as you report the cops its a hit and run.

Then I duno if there is a limit to the claim but in case that is your scenario, check it out

good luck :)

flopicok
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Again, so sorry to hear. If you think you might rebuild it. I have a dark blue hood in the garage too. Again all yours if you want.

97'Scort
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, on the bright side I can't razz you anymore about it not being detailed.

Lots of sweet rides out here on the Island, if you're looking for a little vacation + car buying experience.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
It's a huge hassle to buy from BC IMO.

I don't even know. I could get another EG, but I'm not sure I want such an old car.

So Getting my car from the impound to my place is going to be ~$200. woo. :thumbsdow

clem24
11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd really love to get into a 2.5RS, I've wanted one for years now, but no one seems to have any for sale.

They're still quite pricey and commanding much more than they are truly worth, assuming we're talking about the GCs. I sold my '00 sedan with only 80k clicks to a friend's dad last year for $12k (which would've easily bought a GD 2.5). I loved that car (but love the Legacy even more haha). Remember to avoid the 98's and go with '99+.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-06-2008, 12:16 PM
If I could find a little/no rust EG Si hatch again, I would be tempted to swap everything.

I know the GC's are overpriced... but so are the Honda's :rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Cars on its way home on a tow truck now. Added some pics from the impound lot on the front page.

Ughh it's enough to make a man cry.

cyrusli
11-06-2008, 09:45 PM
dude, i'm really sorry to hear and i totally feel your pain. Hopefully you'll find something soon!

DomesticBoy
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Good thing your alright.
Shitty deal bout the car looked like a real nice hatchback civic.
Remember tho, accidents happen, you dont look back on it, you just keep on rolling, your misfortune right now will turn into a fortune again in the long run :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
So the car is back in my hands, and after looking it over, most of it's in good condition, considering the circumstances.

The engine/headers is fine.

The one of the HID bulbs is toast, but to those who pm'ed me, the other ones are at my dad's house (the H3's IIRC). Ballasts and ignitors are all good.

Entire exhaust system is fine, same with the sprak plug cover. The rest of the car is fine too, and it is a 92 SI model, so sunroof, and all those things.

I'd like to sell the car as a whole, as I know a few people were interested, but I'm really not sure what to ask.

If I can't find someone to take the whole thing, then I'll start parting it out. If I do, people will need to bring they're own tools, and I didn't bring them with me when I moved out.

I also don't have any kind of transportation aside from Transit, so I can't meet up either.

If you guys want anything, start throwing me offers. I'd also like to keep the entire sound system, so no parting that out, and if someone wants the whole car, we'll try to work something out. I can also provide pics.

cyrusli
11-07-2008, 09:26 PM
if there's not that much damage to the frame, why not just keep the car for yourself dude? I mean, just two fenders, a bumper, and a hood? I dunno. I'd say keep it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-07-2008, 09:56 PM
And a rad support?

I don't have the time to fix it, and honestly, I think it's time to move on to something else anyways. I love the car, I really do, but I need something more comfortable.

Besides, if I spend the money in fixing it, I won't get nearly as much back when I do sell it, if I ever do.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=241129

flipstah
11-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Glad to hear you're okay and glad x2 to hear that you got a Subaru!

:clap: