PDA

View Full Version : Headphones while riding..

codetrap
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Is it legal to have headphones in while riding in Alberta? Or Canada?

That aside, anyone have any preferred headphones to listening to tunes on the longer rides?

Thanks.

3g4u
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Im not too sure if it is legal or not, i would assume it isnt. I allways listen to music on the highway but usually put the ipod away once i hit the city. I like thos skull candy in ear headphones, cheep and work pretty good at silencing my exhaust, plus they have volume control so you can turn the music down without having to reach into your pocket.:thumbsup:

Doozer
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/05/18/5605641-cp.html

It's from May/08, so it's probably still applicable, but doesn't mention vehicles specifically...

While there are no laws in Canada dealing with the use of headphones while walking, it's illegal to wear them while riding a bicycle in both British Columbia and Quebec. I would imagine there is something similar for motor vehicles, but not sure. Either way, common sense would suggest that you need to be aware of sounds around you, regardless of what the law states.

japan_us
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I know a few people who've been given a warning about wearing 'em, but never got an actual ticket, so... :dunno:
I've never actually read anywhere that it's against the law though.
My OGIO backpack has an audio pocket, with a feed for the earbuds, and so I sometimes ride with music. ... (Low volume, mind you.)

Supa Dexta
11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I used to wear one ear in city, 2 on the highway. You look like an idiot stopped in traffic when someone is trying to talk to you and can't see you're wearing them..

CLiVE
11-06-2008, 05:27 PM
My exhaust is music enough. I wear earplugs, and the exhaust is still quite loud.

I hate it when someone tries to talk to me over the sound of my exhaust (and clutch) at a stoplight :banghead:

UndrgroundRider
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I've been pulled over with them in, and the cop didn't even mention them. Of course that may have had something to do with more pressing matters.

I always ride on the highway with noise isolating head phones. Long highway trips can actually lead to permanent hearing loss. It's well documented. Here's a quick snippet of some report.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

The skullcandy in-ear headphones offer the right level of noise isolation for safe riding and for long term hearing. I can still hear traffic noise, but minimal wind noise.

Using anything but noise isolating headphones is a bad idea. Since the music would have be louder than the wind noise, you're just compounding the problem.

3g4u
11-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I've been pulled over with them in, and the cop didn't even mention them. Of course that may have had something to do with more pressing matters.

I always ride on the highway with noise isolating head phones. Long highway trips can actually lead to permanent hearing loss. It's well documented. Here's a quick snippet of some report.

The skullcandy in-ear headphones offer the right level of noise isolation for safe riding and for long term hearing. I can still hear traffic noise, but minimal wind noise.

Using anything but noise isolating headphones is a bad idea. Since the music would have be louder than the wind noise, you're just compounding the problem.

After last years trip to sturgis i was pretty much deaf, this year we ripped to tombstone AZ and i used a mixture of Skullcandy earphones and ear plugs and my ears were 500% better then without. Wind noise is a killer for sure, and i would like to hear still after 30.

codetrap
11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Cool.. on that note.. the skullcandy Full Metal Noise reducing earphones are on sale at futureshop for $19.97.. but since none of the stores have stock, print the ad and take it over to bestbuy, and pay $15.. much better than the $79 they're normally charging..

3g4u
11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Good to know, as my fucking dog just ate my old ones. lol

rony_espana
11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I usually wear my beanie with oakley thump splits....never been pulled over. They work great as goggles and music, also they're not in ear type headphones, just ear buds so they're not too loud.

Cody D
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
I usually wear my beanie with oakley thump splits....

Aren't you worried about riding with just a beanie? I don't think I could do it.

I ride with earphones in, I always wondered how much damage they would do if you were in an accident.

rony_espana
11-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

Aren't you worried about riding with just a beanie? I don't think I could do it.

I ride with earphones in, I always wondered how much damage they would do if you were in an accident.

I have a full face as well but a beanie is so much more comfortable, also its DOT approved so I figure it should provide some protection, even though if I crash I'm pretty sure I'm dead either way (full face or beanie).

GotRice?
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but if you had your headphones in and the music is turned up. How are you able to hear your surroundings? Ie. Traffic and what not. Do you just have them on low volume ?

Grogador
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Can't hear anything with my IEMs in. Only use them on the highway.

rony_espana
03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Headphones don't cancel out that much noise, even with music at mid level, I can still hear pretty much everything. I usually ride with earplugs though instead of headphones.

GotRice?
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Hmm, yeah cause I was thinking with those in-ear buds. It pretty much cancels ALL noise even with low volume.

Go4Long
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

I have a full face as well but a beanie is so much more comfortable, also its DOT approved so I figure it should provide some protection, even though if I crash I'm pretty sure I'm dead either way (full face or beanie).

I'm sorry, but that is a truly ridiculous statement. A beanie helmet only offers you protection if you land directly on the top of your head like a fuckin lawn dart, and even then, the problem with that equation is you're not going to stick in to the ground like a lawn dart, and the resulting roll/slide is going to fuck you up.

I've seen numerous accidents involving motorcycles where people have walked away, my own included, and in mine I destroyed my motorcycle, scratched my helmet to the point that there wasn't a single part of the helmet you could put a post it note on without it touching a scratched part, and I walked away, I couldn't imagine riding without a full face helmet.

ddduke
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Headphones don't cancel out that much noise, even with music at mid level, I can still hear pretty much everything. I usually ride with earplugs though instead of headphones.

This, got a Nexus last week and have been riding with my samsung ear buds with music at about 75%, can still hear all my surrounding. I still want to see if I can take a call and have people hear me over the exhaust but I'll save that for another day.

Supa Dexta
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Ear plugs, but never really wore head phones

rony_espana
03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

I'm sorry, but that is a truly ridiculous statement. A beanie helmet only offers you protection if you land directly on the top of your head like a fuckin lawn dart, and even then, the problem with that equation is you're not going to stick in to the ground like a lawn dart, and the resulting roll/slide is going to fuck you up.

I've seen numerous accidents involving motorcycles where people have walked away, my own included, and in mine I destroyed my motorcycle, scratched my helmet to the point that there wasn't a single part of the helmet you could put a post it note on without it touching a scratched part, and I walked away, I couldn't imagine riding without a full face helmet.

My point exactly, A beanie provides "some" protection, but obviously not much. Not a ridiculous statement though. T-bone a car at 90km with a full face or beanie, your dead either way....that's what I was trying to get at.

Afrodeziak
03-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I recall back in the late 90's in drivers ed, the instructor telling me that in a car, it's fine to wear them, as well to play music loud, because driving is almost all visual. I was surprised, since I thought loud blaring music was unsafe and he was fishing for the right answer from me.

Theres a reason they don't do a hearing test to get a license.. I imagine the use of headphones on a bike follows the same rules.

ddduke
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I recall back in the late 90's in drivers ed, the instructor telling me that in a car, it's fine to wear them, as well to play music loud, because driving is almost all visual. I was surprised, since I thought loud blaring music was unsafe and he was fishing for the right answer from me.

Theres a reason they don't do a hearing test to get a license.. I imagine the use of headphones on a bike follows the same rules.

and during your road test you also wear a headset.

Go4Long
03-26-2012, 03:56 PM
I seem to recall that when the distracted driving regulations came in it was specifically mentioned that listening to music on headphones is allowed.

Grogador
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak

Maybe true in a car: the only driving that pounding bass ever affected for me was failing to hear emergency vehicles. However on a motorcycle in the city, where everyone is out to murder you in cold blood, you really want to hear every single rev, screech and honk. Highway is different due to wind noise and lap traffic, but it still feels weird pulling into a gas station and not being able to hear even my own idling engine.

narou
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

This, got a Nexus last week and have been riding with my samsung ear buds with music at about 75%, can still hear all my surrounding. I still want to see if I can take a call and have people hear me over the exhaust but I'll save that for another day.

When I had a bike I tried using headphones with my Galaxy S a few times. It actually worked quite well until I was surprised by an incoming call.

The next time I set the phone to auto answer when headphones plugged/driving mode. Took the call without any issues. I think I was on stoney at the time I had the call.

On the highway I couldn't hear anything but wind anyways. Riding/driving is all visual.