PDA

View Full Version : 2007 4Runner opinions

canuckcarguy
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been offered a 2007 4Runner at what seems to be a decent price. 30,000 km, 4x4, SR5. About $30K.

Now, I haven't owned a Toyota in years. Had a Tercel when I was much younger, which was boring as hell but super reliable, and perfect for a student. But my mom drove a Camry, and had such a crappy experience at a Toyota dealership with service that I've never looked twice at buying one since.

But I'm in the mood for an SUV. I don't want to drive my 5-series all winter, I'd like the extra room, and I not a minivan guy. I haven't had an SUV for years, so I haven't really paid much attention to them lately, but I miss driving 4wd in the winter, and I enjoy sitting up a bit higher.

So, any opinions on these? I could likely get a 2005 or so Grand Cherokee for about half this price, which seems like better value, but for some reason I'm fixated on the 4Runner. I was flyfishing with a buddy a few years ago in his 2003 4Runner, and I was super-impressed with the way it drove. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

hrdkore
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
i bought an 05 4runner brand new..50k back in the day.. seems liek a good deal, do they have any dealershop warranty left? or like free oil changes? 4runners are pretty durable i think and pretty reliable. I think that's a decent price, hopefully its only v6

TYMSMNY
11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Have had experience with a V8 and V6. Both have had no problems since bought new. Great ladder-on-frame truck with good offroad capabilities and trunk space. Only minor concern is the headroom in the cabin. Other than that, basic maintenance.

canuckcarguy
11-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm just under 6 feet. It feels a bit cramped, but not noticeably so. Is the gas mileage decent?

AE92_TreunoSC
11-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Those 4runners are really good trucks, only common problem they have are the waterpumps, which are covered under warranty.

Aside from that the V6's have great power and gas millage for their segment.

Just the seating is awkward for me, I don't like the seating position at all, and prefer the older 4runners to the new one.

forbiddenera
11-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Toyota rocks, do it.

signature7
11-08-2008, 02:46 AM
My mom is shopping for a new suv so I get the one displayed in my sig for the winter, not a bad ride. Wish it was a manual though. No problems ever occured since we bought it at the dealership.

TYMSMNY
11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Yeah, I'm just under 6 feet. It feels a bit cramped, but not noticeably so. Is the gas mileage decent?

Its decent at around 14-15L/100KM. There really isn't too much of a difference between the V6 and V8 in term of gas consumption. 1-2L/100KM.

canuckcarguy
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Okay, thanks for the help. I'm going to go see it again tomorrow and try to do a deal. The only thing I don't like is that it's American, so it's in miles, which in my opinion does hurt the resale.

Anybody know if I'll have any trouble getting warranty coverage? He's owned it for about a year, and he's got the service records showing oil changes at a local Toyota dealership, but there have been no warranty issues, so he didn't know how hard / easy it might be.

CelicaST-162
11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Okay, thanks for the help. I'm going to go see it again tomorrow and try to do a deal. The only thing I don't like is that it's American, so it's in miles, which in my opinion does hurt the resale.

Anybody know if I'll have any trouble getting warranty coverage? He's owned it for about a year, and he's got the service records showing oil changes at a local Toyota dealership, but there have been no warranty issues, so he didn't know how hard / easy it might be.

You'll be fine as long as you're in the 3 years and 60 Kilometer Comprehensive and 5/100 Powertrain. Keep in mind, Toyota Canada needs to call Toyota USA in order to get authorization for repairs. Therefore you may have a few days of delay added on top of possible delays for waiting for parts as an example. Also, US models did not have some features compared to the Canadian model, so in the event that US specific feature part needs replacing...be prepared to wait.

In general, they are great vehicles and I haven't heard of any waterpump issues on the 4.0 or on the 4.7L engines.

TYMSMNY
11-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

You'll be fine as long as you're in the 3 years and 60 Kilometer Comprehensive and 5/100 Powertrain. Keep in mind, Toyota Canada needs to call Toyota USA in order to get authorization for repairs. Therefore you may have a few days of delay added on top of possible delays for waiting for parts as an example. Also, US models did not have some features compared to the Canadian model, so in the event that US specific feature part needs replacing...be prepared to wait.

In general, they are great vehicles and I haven't heard of any waterpump issues on the 4.0 or on the 4.7L engines.

The US models are less "packaged" up. All of the options you can get in the states, you can get here. I wouldn't worry about the parts but if you're worried, pick up an extended warranty as you're still within the original warranty period.

The warranty process is pretty easy. Just make sure they have all the documents ahead of any service and what they will do is call Toyota USA the same day of your service for a warranty claim.

Didn't have any mechanical issues with either of our V6/V8 4runners.