PDA

View Full Version : which new shocks for my talon?!

doctortalon
11-07-2008, 10:50 AM
hey everyone im looking at getting 4 new shocks for my 96 tsi AWD wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me i was looking at kyb -- tokico and koni -- advantages and disadvantages of both? im a shock noob. help

Thanks
Alex

97TSiAWD
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I have the tokico shocks and springs kit on my 97 tsi. You can adjust the shocks and lowered by 1.5". She now drives on rails, love it.

doctortalon
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
is it super bumpy?

simke
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
kyb agx if you're on a budget or koni's if you're not. Both are adjustable and alot of people swear by them both. I don't know what's the price difference between the two for you car, may not be that much. Tokico Illumina adjustable are good too, but many people say that they don't last too long, or not as long as the other two.

cheers

HHURICANE1
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
What are you looking to get out of the struts? OE type ride, razor sharp handling?

EK 2.0
11-07-2008, 11:12 AM
On my 90 TSi AWD...I ran KYB's...the AGX's, and I loved them...

doctortalon
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
WELL ITS ALREADY LOWERED PROBOBLY MORE OF A SOFT RIDE ITS AWD IT OUT HANDLES MY SKILLS ANYWAY.

also the kyb's are half the price on konis, whats the life expectancy like?

simke
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Alot of people lower cars and put stiffer springs on OE shocks... it's a definite no no if you want good handling (it's a no no in any case). A set of kyb agx's will last you a few years; they are adjustable so you can play with that and learn more about shocks/handling and will not break the bank either.

superboost
11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
KYB's for sure.

Be careful though they are prone to foaming, they are cheap as hell though.

Find yourself a good spring too... they really effect the longevity of shocks.

Be sure to get the correct stroke for your car... how lowered is it?

doctortalon
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
2" lowered im thinking koni because i am planning on keeping the car for a while -- is it a bad idea to just to the fronts? they are the only worn ones or should i just go balls out do all 4?

GTS Jeff
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Basically, if you're poor, AGX...if you're ballin', Koni Yellow. The Koni Yellows are superior to the AGXs in both handling and ride comfort. The only thing they wouldn't excel in is drift applications.

Tokicos are somewhere in between, but they aren't known for reliability, so pick one of the first two.

ryanallan
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
i have AGX's on my car, they are ok i guess.
i have them on OEM springs, and they lasted about 3 years before blowing out.

the only reason i bought them was b/c i couldn't afford the koni's

a popular option is to buy the koni's for the front and AGX's for the rear, so both ends are adjustable .

94boosted
11-16-2008, 06:54 PM
I put KYB GR-2's on my old Talon as I was a little short on cash and I really did like them