PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this civic for sale? scam?

BoostMonkey
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Here's an email from the seller. And pics. Seems like a scam. Anyone have any input?

First of all i want to say that the car is in perfect condition, without faults or dents, no scratches or any kind of damage, without engine problems, no hidden defects, the car has not suffered damage.The interior is as new condition and was never smoked in. The price I find it very reasonable, I ask for it $2,500. The problem is that I had to leave with my family in US as my wife has been promoted and we had to move here where she got the new job transfer for 5 years.
The car is still in Canada, at our home that we intend to keep and not sell because we will return after the 5 years contract will close and when we return we will get a new car.
Here I uploaded all the pictures with the car:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26798794@N07/?saved=1

I want to close the transaction in person, pick up only no shipping involved, that means i will come in a week-end or a specific day we agreed on and meet to close the deal in person.

Some highlights of the car:

Year: 2000
Kilometers: 196,000
Body type: Coupe
Transmission: Manual
Interior: Blue/White
CD player
Leather seats
Passenger airbag
Driver airbag
Anti-lock brakes
Air conditioning

Weapon_R
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Sounds like a scam. The way it's written seems shady, but I've never heard of someone willing to meet in person. String him along and see if they try and back out of meeting, then you'll know.

93accord
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I read the first line and that was enough satisfy me that its a scam. i've received a couple of emails with that format when i asked for more info about the car. but the seller wants to close the transaction in person so i dont know. At that low price, its too good to be true.

C4S
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
SCAM SCAM ..

But if he is willing to meet you in person .. then just go to meet him ... look at the car .. go Reg office and check lien etc .. :D

xLostx
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
roflcoptor, super scam

qbrown
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
I would say that when the person writing it has bad english (even when he says he comes from the US) and the price is too good to be true and they want to meet in person, it's most likely a scam.

Something just smells a bit fishy...

Crymson
11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
huge scam.

Ruggzy_McTuggz
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by qbrown
... and they want to meet in person, it's most likely a scam.

Something just smells a bit fishy...

Don't think wanting to meet in person adds to the scamosity of the advert, but yea it does seem fishy.

I'd meet with the guy if he is willing, as soon as he starts asking for airfare or any other money before the meeting cut it off.

06civic
11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Just like weapon_R said meet him in person and see. Just because he has bad grammer doesn't mean its a scam. I mean
look at half the ppl on beyond, including me.:nut:

He did tell you alot of information but if he changed email to" cant meet up today I am in U.S right now.... i'll be back 2 weeks later maybe on the weekend, are you ok with that? if not i can change dates" Would it sound less like a scam?

Boosted Gtir
11-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Such a generic opening line. SCAM

Casa
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Boosted Gtir
Such a generic opening line. SCAM

Doozer
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd be willing to bet that you'll never meet him in person.

He's just trying to make the scam sound more authentic, you'll exchange a few emails, a few meetings will be set up and postponed, someone else will go who got lost, etc etc, and then you'll have such a relationship that of COURSE this guy isn't trying to screw you....:rofl:

Walk away. Now.

em2ab
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
He's moving to US? The car's in Canada? Why doesn't he just say Earth and be as vague as possible?

funkedelic2
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Way too much detail in that story. You asked about the car, not the guy's life. It does sound like a scam but usually when its a scam they tell you that the car is in another province and that they can ship it to you and that you can pay him online/bank transfer, ect and that you are protected through ebay, or something along those line.

If he wants to meet you, i don't know what to say about it. New level of scammer? :dunno: I would meet him if he comes to you, don't go out of your way to meet him. The car is worth at LEAST 4,000 unless it has 700,000kms on it.

Kennyredline
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
The way the ad is written would suggest a Russian is behind it...therefore STAY THE FUCK AWAY!!!!!!

rc2002
11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as a scam. As long as you wait until the car is in your possession before you pay for it and you get it checked out properly first then who cares.

One thing I could see happening is if the guy wants $2000 cash. You go to meet up with him and get mugged.

black13
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
The first part is written like 99% of the other scams on kijiji. The meet up part could be to make it sound real or your gonna show up and he's gonna pepper spray your ass and book it with the money.
Nothing will come out of this.

89s1
11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I subcribe to the "if you need to ask" philosophy.

jswankster
11-07-2008, 02:09 PM
ask him for the VIN # and get it searched ... may be stolen :dunno:

crazieness
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Errr if I had to sell my car I would just go to a stealership and sell it there instead of going through the trouble of posting the add, coming all the way down from the states to meet up and to sell it for less than black book value (aka what the stealership would pay me).

But heck if you want to see if he's legit and get a deal go for it. Though, commmon sense would pretty much say it's a scam.

Don't forget to run the VIN.

Wehbeast
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
I'd be willing to bet that you'll never meet him in person.

He's just trying to make the scam sound more authentic, you'll exchange a few emails, a few meetings will be set up and postponed, someone else will go who got lost, etc etc, and then you'll have such a relationship that of COURSE this guy isn't trying to screw you....:rofl:

Walk away. Now.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as a scam. As long as you wait until the car is in your possession before you pay for it and you get it checked out properly first then who cares.

One thing I could see happening is if the guy wants $2000 cash. You go to meet up with him and get mugged.

:werd: it is a scam, i emailed the guy, first he said hell come down and meet me if im serious. Then he says I have to send the money first so I told him to fuck off