PDA

View Full Version : haskayne average

mina_03
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey guys,

I have a friend whose applying to Haskayne this year. The average for 3rd year acceptance was a 3.0 last year. does anyone know what it will be this year.

badatusrnames
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
:facepalm:

Let me just travel a year into the future and find out...

Or, you can look at admissions trends for the last few years and make an educated guess.

92teg1
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Let me just travel a year into the future and find out...

Or, you can look at admissions trends for the last few years and make an educated guess.

eblend
11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
damn they really dropped, when i was getting it needed a 3.5, got in with 3.6 :D, but i graduated from there in 2005

badatusrnames
11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 92teg1

Do you have anything to contribute postwhore? Admissions are competitive. It changes year to year.

flipstah
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Last time I checked, it's still 3.0

And I've been watching the Admissions page like a hawk. Rumors that it'll decrease but I highly doubt it.

redrose
11-09-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm trying to transfer into haskayne too and i believe it is 3.0 this year

mina_03
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I talked to my friend yesterday and the haskayne admissions office said that the average is projected to be a 3.3. They haven't decided yet. Kinda seems high when the eng transfer is just 2.6 and above.

msommers
11-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mina_03
I talked to my friend yesterday and the haskayne admissions office said that the average is projected to be a 3.3. They haven't decided yet. Kinda seems high when the eng transfer is just 2.6 and above.

It depends entirely on the demand of the program. Kines and nursing are like 3.5 or close to, while Chemistry is like 2.0:rofl:

STI
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey guys,

I have a friend whose applying to Haskayne this year. The average for 3rd year acceptance was a 3.0 last year. does anyone know what it will be this year.

Anyone know if they only accept third year transfers? Or can you transfer whenever? Just thought it might be smart to get it done this year before it goes higher again.

mina_03
11-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by STI

Anyone know if they only accept third year transfers? Or can you transfer whenever? Just thought it might be smart to get it done this year before it goes higher again.

They will accept you if your done the 20 pre-req courses and meet the GPA requriement. They won't allow acceptance unless you have completed the 20 pre-req courses.

LongCity
11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
My friend wanted to transfer in by the end of this year. She was told by the counselor to have a 3.5 along with the pre-reqs.

mina_03
11-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
My friend wanted to transfer in by the end of this year. She was told by the counselor to have a 3.5 along with the pre-reqs.

wow thats really high compared to last year. I went with my friend to the admissions office and they told everyone that it would be along a 3.2 or a 3.3 but the average would be decided for sure in a week or two.

apparantly the counsler said as long as she had a GPA above a 3.3 then she would be in for sure.

sexualbanana
11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
The average admission GPA drops until they fill their quota. When I was in my first year, they were just about to switch the program into direct entry and there were a ton of horror stories of the admission GPA being in the area of 3.8. I decided to apply anyway with a 3.0, and what happened was so many people didn't apply with 3.3-3.6 GPAs, that the admission GPA dropped to something like 2.8 that year.

mina_03
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
well I hope that is the case. I think more people will be applying this year and the GPA will go up because rumor has it that the GPA to apply will be around 3.0 so more people will apply and the seats will fill up fast.

:nut:

heinz256
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm sort of confused here...Is the admission GPA the GPA of all 20 courses u took or only the last 10?

mina_03
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by heinz256
I'm sort of confused here...Is the admission GPA the GPA of all 20 courses u took or only the last 10?

we'd all be f'd if it was the last 20. But they want the GPA for your last 10 courses. But you have to finish the 20 pre-commerce courses.

urbannomad
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Haskayne will look at your last 10 courses!

Glad I transferred this year and am loving it!

STI
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

we'd all be f'd if it was the last 20. But they want the GPA for your last 10 courses. But you have to finish the 20 pre-commerce courses. I believe it is 10 courses with the highest grades.

kwjent
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
The one thing to keep in mind about the average GPA to transfer in is they post 3.0 and have lots of demand then that average will increase but if they have 500 spots reserved for example and they only get 400 people that apply then they will take a lower GPA than a 3.0. I would say a 3.3 would be a safe to have. Good Luck.

7thgenvic
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
It really depends! last year they received a nice lump sum from the government, so they dropped their standards! When I transfered in it was hell. I was happy I got in a 3.4

dimi
11-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I know a few people that got in with GPAs lower than 2.8 this year. I'm guessing the same 3.0 will be in effect as this year, if they don't lower it.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dimi
I know a few people that got in with GPAs lower than 2.8 this year. I'm guessing the same 3.0 will be in effect as this year, if they don't lower it.

Haskayne really hides alot of things then. There admissions averages show that no one below a 3.0 got in.

Ebon
11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
You should apply with whatever you have regardless if this is true. Since on the haskayne site it says if your gpa is lower then 2.8 you wont be admitted for a transfer.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/haskayne

dimi
11-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Haskayne really hides alot of things then. There admissions averages show that no one below a 3.0 got in.

Oh ok. So you think that when they project a 3.0 GPA, it magically happens that everyone above a 3.0 fills their quota perfectly? What if I average a 3.03 (9 Bs 1 B+)? Then I MUST have one of the last seats, no? A 3.0 this year and all of the prerequisites pretty much guaranteed you a spot. That shows you they can't fill their quota with 3.0+ students.

They need more weeder classes 1-2 year. From what I hear the Accounting 317 midterm was pretty easy this year, and I can't think of any other classes that even remotely challenge a business student.

mina_03
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Oh ok. So you think that when they project a 3.0 GPA, it magically happens that everyone above a 3.0 fills their quota perfectly? What if I average a 3.03 (9 Bs 1 B+)? Then I MUST have one of the last seats, no? A 3.0 this year and all of the prerequisites pretty much guaranteed you a spot. That shows you they can't fill their quota with 3.0+ students.

They need more weeder classes 1-2 year. From what I hear the Accounting 317 midterm was pretty easy this year, and I can't think of any other classes that even remotely challenge a business student.

Dude I didn't say that. You said that you knew some people that got in with less than a 2.8. And if you go into the admissions averages for last year ('08), usually they show the lowest average that got in. and they showed the lowest grade was a 3.0.

Thanks for your info but the only reason I made some of the previous comments was based on the info I got from the Haskayne office.

Team_Mclaren
11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

actually... because of the funding increase, they were able to accept everyone with a 3.0+. Even though they said that it was competitive. my friend had 2.95 and got rejected just this pass year.

dimi
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM

Dude I didn't say that. You said that you knew some people that got in with less than a 2.8. And if you go into the admissions averages for last year ('08), usually they show the lowest average that got in. and they showed the lowest grade was a 3.0.

Thanks for your info but the only reason I made some of the previous comments was based on the info I got from the Haskayne office.

My bad, I meant to say less than a 3.0 not 2.8. Oh well, good luck on your application.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

actually... because of the funding increase, they were able to accept everyone with a 3.0+. Even though they said that it was competitive. my friend had 2.95 and got rejected just this pass year.

I am referring to this school year, but either way I was always under the impression that they have a quota and due to the funding increase the seat numbers has proportionately risen. Then they go down the GPA list in a competitive fashion filling their quota. Saying that anyone with 3.0+ gets in and that admission is competitive is somewhat contradictory.

urbannomad
11-12-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm quite sure of the strictness of the rules that haskayne plays with.

3.0 on your last 10 classes and your in, nothing but.

To say that someone got in with a 2.8 kinda sounds fishy to me. Pulling favours at the higher levels? possibly...poster lying...probably.

mina_03
11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Ebon
You should apply with whatever you have regardless if this is true. Since on the haskayne site it says if your gpa is lower then 2.8 you wont be admitted for a transfer.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/haskayne

ya my friend... called in this morning and apperantly the 2.8 gpa is for diverse requirements.
Kinda :bullshit: if you look at it. Why not state that it is for diverse qualifications on the website.