PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sky 360, Calgary Tower

A790
11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Sky 360, Calgary Tower
101-9 Ave SW
(403) 532-7966
www.sky360.ca - Online reservations available.

Ambiance: 5+/5
Service: 4.5/5
Food: 4.5/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 5/5**

Summary: What could be better than a fine restaurant, situated high above the city, with fantastic food and exceptional service? If you find it let me know, but until then Sky 360 is king.

Introduction:

Sky 360 is a restaurant that needs no introduction. It's location on the observation deck of the Calgary Tower ensures that it remains somewhat of an icon for those who enjoy dining with a bit of flair. Of course, it's no secret that the quality of the restaurant within the tower has been up and down, and the restaurant itself has gone through many iterations before arriving at its current form.

Service:

My date and I were treated to a good looking young man named Matthew, whom is both charismatic and detail oriented. Our meal, aside from one minor hiccup that was beyond his control, was delivered exactly the way that I wanted it to be. Our drinks were brought promptly, he had obviously had training about how to properly serve a bottle of wine, and he had the poise and charm to carry on a light hearted conversation- even when I put him on the spot.

We arrived at Sky 360 at 9 pm and I made sure to emphasize that we were not in a hurry. After assuring us that he was there all night we were taken to a lovely table and treated like royalty. He left us plenty of time between courses (approximately 20 minutes), though to his surprise (the look on his face let me know that he was NOT happy) our main courses were delivered while we were still enjoying our salad. Of course, I say that this was beyond his control because it was delivered by a food running at 10:05 pm, five minutes past the closing time of the kitchen.

After assuring both Matthew and the manager on duty that we were in no way upset we continued our meal, enjoyed dessert, and sipped on a full bodied Italian Amarone (Alpha Zeta Amarone, $125/bottle).

Matthew remained consistent in his service, even as the evening continued on and the restaurant cleared out. My date and I were the last couple to leave, yet everyone was enthusiastic and warm towards us- a welcome change from the sub-par attitudes of many of Calgary's servers today.

Atmosphere:

This section of the review took me the longest to write simply because there's so much to say. I can't even imagine a more perfect setting for an intimate encounter or romantic celebration than Sky 360. The revolving restaurant showcases the very best that Calgary has to offer, and we were fortunate enough to dine on a night when there was not a cloud in the sky.

The view is simply exceptional, and if that were not enough, the restaurant itself has been restyled in a way that is both trendy and contemporary as well as intimate and engaging. The lighting remains even despite the fact that the restaurant revolves, and the decor is tasteful. Dark wood dominates the room, with comfortable lounge-themed chairs providing an inviting place to hang your hat for a while (so to speak). Coat service was free of charge (a welcome surprise).

Sky 360 has done an exceptional job with the restaurant, though admittedly my expectations were quite high once I saw the calibre of the restaurant. I have been to many fine dining venues that have intimate decor but sub-par cuisine. I was relieved to find that Sky 360 delivers on both fronts.

Food:

The menu is an eclectic blend of traditional fare and fusion-inspired creations. We started with the "AAA Alberta Beef Carpaccio" ($14) and the "Pan Seared Rock Scallops" ($15). Both were delectable, with the carpaccio being our preferred dish. The scallops were served in a semi-sweet lemon vinaigrette which complimented the flavour and texture of the scallops nicely. The carpaccio was the perfect blend of spices and texture and remains my preference- I haven't had carpaccio at any other restaurant, including my revered Mercato, that was as flavorful or as good.

Our appetizers were followed with a "Classic Caesar" ($9). While not my favourite caesar salad it was a good one, with a bit of a kick to the dressing. The presentation was also quite nice- baby romaine heart with prosciutto and an asiago crostini.

Our meals, which as mentioned previously were delivered earlier than I would have preferred, were exceptional. My date had the "Fire Weed Honey Glazed Chicken Breast" ($25), and I enjoyed the "Grilled 40 Days Aged Alberta Beef Striploin" ($37). Both were exceptional, and I find that I am unable to recommend one over the other.

The chicken had a sweet flavor that was accompanied by a tantalizing aroma. The risotto was also well done, and the vegetables were prepared perfectly. While my date spared me a bite, she dared not allow me any more than that and I can't say I blame her.

My steak was exceptional. The beef was served a touch under medium-rare, as I asked, and was perhaps one of the best cuts I've had in a restaurant. To be honest it's actually hard to describe the flavor, as it was a constant combination of complimentary tastes from the meat itself and the peppercorn sauce. I was very happy with my meal, and even told Matthew that I was in a very good place at that moment.

We shared a vanilla-bean creme brulee, which was served with raspberry sorbet. While I was not too enthusiastic about the dessert, my date certainly was.

After that we simply sat, enjoyed each others company, and finished off our Italian vino. I was delighted to see that we would not be harassed, as many servers do once the meal has concluded, even as the clock stretched past 11 pm.

Conclusion:

I am quite happy that I've had to write yet another excellent review for a restaurant in Calgary. Caesar's Steakhouse in Willow Park was one of the first 4+ ratings I've given a restaurant, and I am enthralled to give Sky 360 a perfect 5 out of 5. My evening, from the company that I was with to the wine that I enjoyed, was perfect from start to finish.

Of course, after two cocktails and a bottle of wine I called Todd at Clubbers-Choice for a designated driver. Matthew let me know when he had arrived, and I couldn't help but smile as we left the restaurant.

Despite some negative publicity due to the previous incarnations, Sky 360 is truly a not-so-hidden gem here in the heart of downtown Calgary and is a must visit.

** I was very hesitant about giving Sky 360 a perfect score, but decided in the end that the restaurant and its staff deserve it. I generally don't rate things as being perfect, but Sky 360, despite one small hiccup that was largely our error (we were informed beforehand that the kitchen closed at 10), deserves the recognition.

Isaiah
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I have tried many restaurant and have steered clear of others due to Beyond reviews. I have, in turn, posted reviews of my own on ocassion, although not as often as I should.

I really want to commend you, A790, for an outstanding job on your reviews. They are well thought out, and articulate your experience perfectly.

Thanks for a terrific service to Beyonders. Sky 360 is now on my to-go list.

A790
11-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I have tried many restaurant and have steered clear of others due to Beyond reviews. I have, in turn, posted reviews of my own on ocassion, although not as often as I should.

I really want to commend you, A790, for an outstanding job on your reviews. They are well thought out, and articulate your experience perfectly.

Thanks for a terrific service to Beyonders. Sky 360 is now on my to-go list.
Thanks man, I'm actually really glad to hear that you appreciate my thoughts on Calgary's restaurants :)

Let us know what you think of Sky 360 when you check it out!

dannie
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Did they get rid of the charge to take the elevator if you have a resv at the restaurant?

A790
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Did they get rid of the charge to take the elevator if you have a resv at the restaurant?
Yes, we didn't pay any elevation fee. However, we did pay for $6 evening parking ;)

dannie
11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Thats a very good thing. We are out downtown a lot with friends and the tower was not a choice because for 6 people, you pay 78 bucks to just get up there. Thanks!! Great review, we will definately be heading there now.

Grogador
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Awesome review, sounds like they stepped it up a couple notches after renos. Sweet :>

Blacura
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Great review. I spent a getaway at the Fairmont one night which is the hotel semi attached to the Tower. We had dinner at the Sky and it was fantastic. I can't add much to your review as it was very thorough, but I still remember the atmosphere as it was nearly a perfect night. Careful when you go to the washroom though, your table will have moved.

ZorroAMG
11-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Sounds like you really like Matthew.

:D

JK Great write up! I was at the Press opening last month and thought it was a unique spot for a date.

ekguy
11-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Will definitely be giving this one a try. I wish my reviews were as good as yours haha.

sexualbanana
11-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

:D

JK Great write up! I was at the Press opening last month and thought it was a unique spot for a date.

That was my first impression too. haha

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 04:28 PM
excellent review -

i have been to the calgary tower twice for dinner,

im goin to give this place a try.

Kloubek
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Great review - thank you!

I have some deals pending. And if they EVER go through, I'm taking my girl here to celebrate.

403ep3
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
I've got on a few dates here and the atmosphere is pretty good. I only read 1/4 of your review because I'm in school and I'm sick of reading! I'd rate this restaurant a 4/5

A790
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Blacura
Careful when you go to the washroom though, your table will have moved.

Haha, so true. You head back to the main entrance, down some stairs, bleed the lizard, come back up and hunt for your table. Of course, if your date is attractive enough it doesn't take long to find... ;)

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I'm not gonna lie, if I was gay he'd be on my "hit list". Haha, jk.

In all seriousness I just really appreciate good service since that seems to be something that's really lacking these days.

Originally posted by sexualbanana

That was my first impression too. haha

:(

Originally posted by Kloubek
Great review - thank you!

I have some deals pending. And if they EVER go through, I'm taking my girl here to celebrate.

What kind of deals?

Originally posted by 403ep3
I've got on a few dates here and the atmosphere is pretty good. I only read 1/4 of your review because I'm in school and I'm sick of reading! I'd rate this restaurant a 4/5

Yea I did get rather verbose when I started writing it, but honestly, I was so enthralled when I left that it deserved the praise.

TC2002
11-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the review! Very thorough and gives me a good idea what to hope for. We made a reservation and will be there for dinner in a few weeks so it gives me something to look forward to!

Cooked Rice
11-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Went there tonight for my 2nd time since last summer (before they changed things up IIRC). Was :thumbsup: they had a boneless rack of lamb on feature and it was delicious :drool: Menu is better than before too, and had more to offer. I don't know if they changed it, but before I had to pay to go up (at a discount) even with reservations for the dining room. Tonight we didn't have to pay anything to go up for dinner.

A790
11-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Went there tonight for my 2nd time since last summer (before they changed things up IIRC). Was :thumbsup: they had a boneless rack of lamb on feature and it was delicious :drool: Menu is better than before too, and had more to offer. I don't know if they changed it, but before I had to pay to go up (at a discount) even with reservations for the dining room. Tonight we didn't have to pay anything to go up for dinner.
And you just *can't* top that view ;)

Graham_A_M
11-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Sweet, I was thinking of taking my family to the Vintage Chophouse for our Christmas (time) dinner, but it sounds like Sky 360 is the way to go.

I'd personally give the Vintage Chophouse a 5/5 myself, you should go there and write up another one of your fantastic reviews of it. The restaurant floor manager's name was Barclay. he was kind enough to serve our table. Absolutely stellar experience. Easily 5/5, I could not imagine a better experience.
:eek: :eek:

A790
11-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Sweet, I was thinking of taking my family to the Vintage Chophouse for our Christmas (time) dinner, but it sounds like Sky 360 is the way to go.

I'd personally give the Vintage Chophouse a 5/5 myself, you should go there and write up another one of your fantastic reviews of it. The restaurant floor manager's name was Barclay. he was kind enough to serve our table. Absolutely stellar experience. Easily 5/5, I could not imagine a better experience.
:eek: :eek:
It's on my to-do list as of right now :D

dannie
12-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I took my staff to the tower last nite and I agree with A790. The entire experience was awesome!! The only complaint I have is a small one. There are two areas in the revolving room that have a draft. It was cold out last nite, so that draft was really frustrating. Most of us kept having to grab our coats to keep warm.

Other than that, I was very impressed. Everyone had a great meal. I didn't expect the food to be near as good as it was. The last time I was there (before the changes), the food was awful.

I will be heading back for sure.

gmoney82
12-24-2008, 10:56 AM
going there on the boxing day for my 4 year anniversary! can't wait! thanks for the great review A790

A790
12-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
going there on the boxing day for my 4 year anniversary! can't wait! thanks for the great review A790
Enjoy it bud! Write a follow up in here and let us know what you had :)

adam c
12-24-2008, 01:29 PM
i was going to make reservations for new years eve but their menu seems a little pricey ($90/person) and i didn't want to pay the stupid elevator fee. wish i read this thread sooner

sl888
12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i was going to make reservations for new years eve but their menu seems a little pricey ($90/person) and i didn't want to pay the stupid elevator fee. wish i read this thread sooner
Do they have something going on there for NYE? Didn't find anything on their site

adam c
12-29-2008, 01:55 AM
yea they have a dinner going on, but it's a little to late to book a reservation now

Doozer
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the review ... just made reservations there based on this!

RY213
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Great review! I was surprised at the price, besides the bottle of wine the prices seem quite reasonable...

A790
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Booked for Valentines day. The REAL test of a restaurant is how it performs on Valentine's day and mother's day. I'm looking forward to it :)

A790
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I had the pleasure of revisiting Sky 360 on Valentines day and my opinion of this restaurant hasn't changed much. We were given a quaint booth that, despite being right beside two other tables, felt quite isolated as the booth was rather large and there was only two of us in it.

The valentines menu was set, with limited selection only for your appetizers and entrees. My date and I mixed it up, with her ordering the crab cakes and tenderloin, and myself ordering prosciutto crepes and tuna filet. All of our selections were excellent, with my tuna being my preferred dish.

We had the same server that I had before (Matthew), and once again service was top notch. A very pleasant experience and a great start to our evening. We arrived at 8pm and left by 10pm, so it was also relatively quick by my standards.

Still highly recommended.

Speed_69
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by A790
I had the pleasure of revisiting Sky 360 on Valentines day and my opinion of this restaurant hasn't changed much. We were given a quaint booth that, despite being right beside two other tables, felt quite isolated as the booth was rather large and there was only two of us in it.

The valentines menu was set, with limited selection only for your appetizers and entrees. My date and I mixed it up, with her ordering the crab cakes and tenderloin, and myself ordering prosciutto crepes and tuna filet. All of our selections were excellent, with my tuna being my preferred dish.

We had the same server that I had before (Matthew), and once again service was top notch. A very pleasant experience and a great start to our evening. We arrived at 8pm and left by 10pm, so it was also relatively quick by my standards.

Thanks for another review. Taking the girlfriend here next saturday night for her birthday..really looking forward to it.

A790
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Thanks for another review. Taking the girlfriend here next saturday night for her birthday..really looking forward to it.
Have fun! Hopefully it's a nice clear night for you :)

Doozer
02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I can't believe that I forgot to mention my experience.

I took the wife there the weekend before V-day (Feb 7th), and it was exactly as A790 stated. Excellent service, quite possibly the best steak I've ever eaten, and excellent ambience.

My only disappointment wasn't really the fault of any one person. I'd decided on the caramel creme dessert, until I followed the menu's recommendations to ask about the daily dessert special. It was a chocolate brownie thing which my server recommended over the creme thing. Unfortunately, he came back a few minutes later to say that the brownie dessert had sold out, and so I ended up going with the caramel creme thing. Now, don't get me wrong, that was a delicious dessert, but after the waiter's recommendation I'd put myself in the mood for a brownie, and was a bit disappointed not to get it. But that's a pretty small issue, in the grand scheme of things, and perhaps eating dessert before 9pm might've averted that.

So if you feel like living like 89coupe for a night and money's no object (although the bottle of wine and the most expensive entree were well worth the price. :drool: ), I highly recommend it. It won't be an everyday occurrence for us, but it's definitely a great "special occasion" place.

QuasarCav
02-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Same date?

A790
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Same date?
lol no, different girl this time.

96integra
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
This place sounds interesting, is there a certain dress code?

A790
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 96integra
This place sounds interesting, is there a certain dress code?
Casual/upscale. No sleeveless shirts, tattered jeans, etc.

em2ab
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
What's Clubber's Choice?
And with the wine, is that price in store or in restaurant? I know that a glass of Wolfblass is about $15 in a restaurant or $20 for the bottle in a liquor store.

Spoons
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I personally felt that the food was sub-par for what you were paying, and that ultimately you seemed to of just paid for the view, and not so much the food.

Just my 2 cents.

Cooked Rice
03-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
What's Clubber's Choice?
And with the wine, is that price in store or in restaurant? I know that a glass of Wolfblass is about $15 in a restaurant or $20 for the bottle in a liquor store.

i believe Clubber's Choice is a DD service. Where you arrange for someone to drive you home in your own car after drinking. That way you have your own car the next morning and you don't need to get a ride/taxi back out to pick up your car when you sober up.

naked.socks
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM

Casual/upscale. No sleeveless shirts, tattered jeans, etc.

would a dress from le chateau be appropriate or concidered over dressed??

msommers
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I went a few weeks ago and fuck did I feel over-dressed with a sports jacket and jeans on. Guys with hoodies and tshirts in there...at the same place where they tell you tap water makes the wine taste like shit......fuck the water, just bring the wine!

I should have done a little review on this place then. Overall, we LOVED the atmosphere and the service. Our waiter was excellent, albeit trying a little too hard (it was obvious). Had the chef make up something to sub for the potatoes because of the cheese (damn you lactose!).

Would I go again? Yes definitely for someone that hadn't been there in awhile (or at all) but that's probably it. I think for the price, I'd rather go elsewhere...the view is pretty amazing though.

Originally posted by naked.socks
would a dress from le chateau be appropriate or concidered over dressed?? I'm confident that is appropriate.

ddmmak
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Did you have to pay the elevation fee for dinner also? Thanks

msommers
06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
If you make a reservation, elevator is complementary. And after dinner you can head downstairs to the observatory :)

ddmmak
06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Thank you!

z24_wheels
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Went to Sky on Saturday. I really enjoyed it with two exceptions.

1) They are trying to deliver an upper-scale experience with their service and food, but do not enfore a dress code etc. I don't think this will work in the long run.

2) The "prawns" in my ceviche were canned shrimp.

.civictyper.
07-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Been there right after they opened.

Food was sub par for what I was expecting
Wine list was below average in quality and price
Service had a lot of problems
View was fantastic.

Save the elevator ride and hit RUTH CHRIS instead for some USDA beef 10/10

B18C
08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Went there a couple weeks ago for dinner and it was GREAT! Had the PEI mussels and calamari to start, The wife had the scallop risotto. I had the striploin.

The mussels were superb. Best I've had in a long time.

Calamari and steak were good. Above average.

The risotto was AMAZING. Just thinking about it is making me hungry.

Service was good. Our server was professional and did not bother us much which was perfect.

Overall I would definitely go back.

Godfuader
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Went there Tuesday evening. A bit slow on the seating part, but she mentioned it was to not put a strain on the chef. I had mentioned that it was for an anniversary dinner during reservation, so they had a nice booth setup for us. The service and the food were decent (4/5), but you are not really there for the food, rather the experience. The view was amazing. It is a truly unique dinning experience where the view is constantly changing. We went at 8:30 so we saw the sunset and the contrast of day and night.

I kinda understand why there is no formal dress code. If you think about it, they have a majority clientèle who are tourists. You are not going to ask them and their kids to get dressed up to eat. You just let them in and allow them to pay minimum $50/person. It would be better without the kids running around, constantly reporting on their sightings. We stuck around till 10:30 so the kids were gone and we could enjoy the music, subtle lighting and the views.

I doubt I would head out there again for the food, as better dinning for $150 (without alcohol) can be had around town. Overall though it was a great experience, and a definite must-do for Calgary.

bigbadboss101
09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
So you guys say this is a top place to take a date, along with Ruth Chris, Bonterra etc?

The_Penguin
07-02-2014, 10:14 PM
5 year bump. :)

Went there last night with a party of 9.
Very few people there, lots of empty tables. Service was adequate, nothing to write home about. Drinks were slow coming, but not worth complaining about.

Food was quite good, minus the potatoes and portion size, but not quite in line with the prices.

My meal, Caesar salad - very good. I think it was $14.00. A bit more than I'd expect, but was very good, so no complaints there.
Steak was really very good. Better than I expected. But really? instant mashed potatoes with a $46.00 steal? Fail.

My cousin had lamb, said it was excellent. Several of my party had the Fettucini
all said is was very good, but tiny. Like really small.
Mrs. Penguin and I shared the cheesecake for dessert. It was microscopic.
Good, but maybe 4 forkfuls.

Overall it was a good experience, can't beat the atmosphere, but a bit pricey especially for the portion size of some of the dishes. Our bill ( my salad, steak Mrs. Penguin's Fettucini, 2 cocktails and 1 glass of wine and the mini-cheesecake was $110.00 Maybe $20-30 more that we pay for an average night out.

I'd go back, definitely, but with slightly altered expectations.

ExtraSlow
07-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Sounds like the food is getting a bit better, it used to be pretty pathetic.

rage2
07-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I had the Fettucini there last Wednesday. I had the shits the whole night lol. We don't go there for the food, we go there because the kids love the view.

I used to bring dates there because they all become cheap drunks off a bottle of wine. My theory is that the higher elevation makes it much easier to get drunk.

Tik-Tok
07-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I don't know. I've been there 3 times in the past decade (last year the most recent), and it's always been the same. Gourmet menu made with sub-standard food quality.

You're paying for the view, not the food. There's much better meals elsewhere for the same price, if not cheaper.

benyl
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Food is not very good for the price you pay.

Was there on Monday for dinner. The place seems a little run down. Rotating can make you dizzy. Kid loved watching plane after plane landing. We even saw a parallel landing now that the new runway is open.

Can't say I'll ever go back. The food is better at the restaurant on the second floor at the bottom of the tower.

A790
07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Haven't been in a few years (not since about a year after the original review). I'm surprised to hear the food quality has changed :(

Strider
07-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Went to Sky 360 for a group function a few months back and the food was horrible. 2 medium rare steaks ordered side by side at the same table - one was well done, the other was bloody :banghead:

They couldn't even dress a caesar salad properly... one huge glob of dressing on one leaf and the rest had nothing.

Even the view wouldn't bring me back there.

Graham_A_M
07-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Jesus, re-reading the first page of this whole review, I was like " I am SO taking my friends to this place on me, itll be an awesome experience".... this last page, it was the polar opposite, Good to listen to the reviews before dropping some mad coin on a shit place.

Looks like Ruth Chris' it is then for us.

Tik-Tok
07-10-2014, 06:53 PM
If you and your friends have never been, you should go try it. It's worth doing at least once IMO, especially at sunset. It isn't bad food, Just don't be prepared for Ruth Chris quality.

Cos
07-10-2014, 07:11 PM

R154
08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Sky 360, Calgary Tower
101-9 Ave SW
(403) 532-7966
www.sky360.ca - Online reservations available.

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 5+/5
Food: 4.25/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5

My Girlfriend and I decided to celebrate another year being together at this restaurant (4 years). I had heard a lot of mixed reviews about this restaurant so I was a little apprehensive about the idea of going.
However, curiosity and sound judgment (on behalf of the internet) lead us towards a lovely evening. As far as experiences go, revolving and eating sounds much less desirable then it actually is! What’s the worst that could happen, right?

First and foremost, Sky360 is a wonderful idea; a real sense of occasion will waft over your evening as you are watching the numbers grow while ascending the 1 minute elevator ride to the top of the tower. If you have never been up the Calgary Tower, the best time to go is definitely before dinner and in the evening when the sun is setting over the mountains. My Lady and I live in Cochrane, we are used to waking up to the mountains, but this view is something to behold.
If you show up shortly before your reservations, you have a chance to look out at the city from the observation deck, prime your senses before dinner.
Down to business:
We arrived at 5:30 with reservations at 6pm. In the reservation notes I mentioned that it was our anniversary; more so as an indication of the event for us, rather than instructions to give us preferential treatment. At the lower desk we were greeted by a polite girl that wished us in a fairly personal and sincere way. This was when we knew we had picked the right restaurant.
At the top marshaling area it is cramped when you exit the elevators. I can only imagine that it would be worse at lunch time, or during an event, none the less, the hostesses and support staff quickly whisked guests to their tables and aliased the walk-ins with similar pace and candor. It was really quite refreshing to see really.

We were sat exactly at our reservation time at 6. Pleasantries on behalf of the hostesses and then our server Jill were succinct and not redundant. Again, quite the feat considering how busy they were at this particular time, as well as, how seldom this occurs at ANY Calgary/Banff/Canmore restaurant.
Water was poured and table settings were modified as Jill explained the menu, wine selection & dessert options of the day. Almost as if we were her only table our drink selection and appetizer selections were recorded just as the menus closed.
The wine (Malbec, 2009) was reasonably priced considering what other restaurants charge for the same vineyard but younger vintage. It was clear that Jill was very knowledgeable about what they had, when she didn't know an answer to our question, she found out quickly. Very appreciated.

Prior to our appetizers we decided to start the evening with two regular cocktails which came out quickly and were very tasty. From the moment we sat down to the moment we left, I can’t express how tidy the service was. To me, the service seemed fairly impeccable.

For our appetizers we decided to share the:
1) Meatballs: Stuffed with goat cheese, house made tomato sauce, pickled zucchini
2) Niçoise: Albacore tuna, green beans, egg, purple potato, olives, butter leaf

Both appetizers were delicious. With that said, the meatballs definitely stood out for their texture and attention to detail while being cooked. The meatball remained moist, despite not having been simmered in the tomato sauce. The goats cheese offered both a creamy counter punch as well as a much needed salt balance. The meatball itself was definitely not a large item, 3 came to an order. Well thought out presentation. Well executed.
The nicoise was well presented and had a spectacular texture as well as an enticing aroma. The Tuna was the star, but the accompanying beans and lightly dressed salad of cherry tomato and olive was reminiscent of a nicely executed Italian anti-pasti. The plate seemed to be put together very deliberately. There was absolutely no haste about how each element was delicately and thoughtfully adorning the crown jewel.
I very much would recommend both. The meatballs being their most often ordered starter, but the nicoise being our favorite.

Shortly after the appetizers were enjoyed, a team of personnel cleared our plates, filled our waters, brimmed our cocktails and poured our wine in anticipation of the main course arriving.

I couldn’t really tell you how long between finishing our appetizers and the arrival of our main course was, but it felt comfortable but somewhat planned. The more time we spent looking out at the city and trying to figure out which buildings were what, the less focused on the sequencing of our meal we became. Whether by design or by result, the experience began to transcend just going out for a bite. It definitely felt like the price of admission was well worth the “show” if you will.

I had decided to try out the special, which was a 10oz prime rib that was served medium (a touch under) with whipped horseradish potatoes, a salad of pickled red cabbage and lightly sautéed asparagus in a delightful rosemary jus reduction.

My lovely dining companion decided to indulge in the meatloaf wellington which featured a Foie gras mousse, wild mushroom duxelle wrapped in pastry, served alongside rustic mashed potatoes, braised cabbage, pickled carrots & rosemary demi glaze.

Let me start off by saying that the prime rib was about on par with prime rib found at a dedicated steak houses, but not quite as decadent as the prime rib at Ruth’s Chris or Caesars. The reduction was sumptuous and definitely a stand out on the plate. The potatoes were smooth and well-seasoned albeit slightly under whelming considering the appetizers.

The meatloaf. Of all the dishes we enjoyed at Sky360, the meatloaf was by far and away the very best of the best. It was rich, tender, perfectly seasoned, and moist. The pastry was flaky but dense enough to remind you what a properly made wellington can be. The mushroom and foie gras outer layer just played beautifully with the individually seasoned meat. The potatoes were the same as on my plate, however, they seemed to taste just a bit better in concert with the vegetables and demi glaze on that plate.
For my money, our entrees were definitely worth it, with the hands down advantage going to my dates’ superior judgment.
Without a shadow of a doubt I would recommend that meatloaf time and again.

With the same efficiency as the beginning of the meal, a flurry of activity took over our table briefly as the spoils of our meals were removed. Glasses were once again filled. And wine glasses were swapped for new ones. A kind consideration, I might add.

After a half rotation or so, (of the restaurant) Jill once again emerged and waited for a pause in our conversation before casually offering us her best opinion of what we should finish our meal with.
Considering our meal choices, the Truffle bar w/ Americanos was the prevailing suggestion. A true treat.

The chocolate mocha dessert was like a multi-layered chocolate cake with a very dense and rich chocolate base, a cheesecake like consistency center and chocolate ganache to top it off.
The "bar" was delicately perched atop a bed of marshmallow & espresso cream with some strawberries off to the side, I was very much impressed with the quality of this dessert.
I like chocolate, but usually not as a dessert item after a heavy meal. This time, I was absolutely satisfied and completely enamored by it.
All in all, truly a night to remember
After tax & tip 2 adults who ate 2 apps, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, 1 bottle of wine and 4 cocktails total, we were a little over 330$.

My final opinion? Would I go again?
A resounding yes!!

suntan
08-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I like it because there was an amazing chick there with an incredibly slutty dress and huge tits.

Graham_A_M
08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
^ K Im sold :D, a name would really help, I'll ask if shes there next time Im going with friends.

Hahaha. :clap:

Cooked Rice
08-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I like it because there was an amazing chick there with an incredibly slutty dress and huge tits.

A review that finally hits the nail.:clap: