PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Questions

UnDarkened
11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Heyy,
Im turning 16 in April,
and im hoping to get a 180sx that i will keep as clean and in best shape as i can,
I was wondering how much insurance is going to be,
I have taken the AMA driving course thingy,

I have phoned a couple insurance companys, and they do not have a 180sx under there database,
Will they classify it as a 240sx?

And what are some of you guys paying for insurance.
thanks
UnDarkened =D

Isaiah
11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't address your question but I can give you a few suggestions. I'd like to preface the following by saying that I don't expect you to change your mind about your choice of 1st vehicle, but I do hope that you give some serious consideration to my comments.

A 180sx is not a good choice for a first vehicle for several reasons. Primarily, as a 15 year old unexperienced driver, you should probably start driving in a more standard USDM vehicle that will teach you how to drive in a normal setting. Secondly, I would suggest either getting a second vehicle for your first winter if your budget allows it, otherwise consider getting something a little heavier and preferably RWD.

Further, the type of vehicle that you're interested in purchasing will be a magnet for street racing retards. You'll probably be 'challenged' a couple of times a week and, although common sense may prevail at first, at some point you may cave in. Why submit yourself to the temptation?

In summary, I'm not saying don't get the vehicle you want; I'm just suggesting that you get something that's a little more appropriate as a first vehicle for a 16 year old. Maybe start of with a cheap beater for your first year (which will be substantially cheaper on insurance), and then sell it after your first year and get the car you really want.

There's a current thread about a Skyline that was involved in a a street race that precipitated a serious accident yesterday, and if you do a quick search you'll find countless threads about JDM vehicles involved in serious collisions. I'm not inferring that JDM owners aren't good drivers, I'm just suggesting that the cars are powerful, RWD, with atypical handling and steering characteristics, and not typically appropriate for immature drivers.

SetoJai
11-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I can't address your question but I can give you a few suggestions. I'd like to preface the following by saying that I don't expect you to change your mind about your choice of 1st vehicle, but I do hope that you give some serious consideration to my comments.

A 180sx is not a good choice for a first vehicle for several reasons. Primarily, as a 15 year old unexperienced driver, you should probably start driving in a more standard USDM vehicle that will teach you how to drive in a normal setting. Secondly, I would suggest either getting a second vehicle for your first winter if your budget allows it, otherwise consider getting something a little heavier and preferably RWD.

Further, the type of vehicle that you're interested in purchasing will be a magnet for street racing retards. You'll probably be 'challenged' a couple of times a week and, although common sense may prevail at first, at some point you may cave in. Why submit yourself to the temptation?

In summary, I'm not saying don't get the vehicle you want; I'm just suggesting that you get something that's a little more appropriate as a first vehicle for a 16 year old. Maybe start of with a cheap beater for your first year (which will be substantially cheaper on insurance), and then sell it after your first year and get the car you really want.

There's a current thread about a Skyline that was involved in a a street race that precipitated a serious accident yesterday, and if you do a quick search you'll find countless threads about JDM vehicles involved in serious collisions. I'm not inferring that JDM owners aren't good drivers, I'm just suggesting that the cars are powerful, RWD, with atypical handling and steering characteristics, and not typically appropriate for immature drivers.

:werd: this guy speaks the truth! in the end it is your choice

rps13_sx
11-09-2008, 08:36 PM
since your going with ama it will be about 170$ a month and they will covered it one way cause it it older then 7 years or sumtine like that

GQBalla
11-09-2008, 08:55 PM
It will be classified as a 240.

yue
11-10-2008, 12:45 AM
you're turning 16? why don't you just put it under your parent's name and just pay them the increase in premium?

Masked Bandit
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm guessing that you are going to be looking for PLPD only? With driver training you are going to be in at $151 per month regardless of the vehicle. You will be on the government GRID system for at least the first three years. Keep in mind that if the vehicle is going to be more than 12 years old you will also need a safety inspection (some companies will let you go to 15 years but 12 is the GRID cutoff).

That price is assuming you live in Calgary. If it's anywhere else just let me know and I'll recalculate for you.

Grogador
11-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Secondly, I would suggest either getting a second vehicle for your first winter if your budget allows it, otherwise consider getting something a little heavier and preferably RWD.

FWD? AWD? Remember kids, RWD == DEATH (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/240086/anybody-here-drive-a-rwd-car-in-winter-say-rx-8/)

em2ab
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
.....or you could simply go to the insurer's website, fill out the form and get an instant quote in less time than it takes to ask the question on an internet forum.

Xtrema
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by UnDarkened
Heyy,
Im turning 16 in April,
and im hoping to get a 180sx that i will keep as clean and in best shape as i can,
I was wondering how much insurance is going to be,
I have taken the AMA driving course thingy,

I have phoned a couple insurance companys, and they do not have a 180sx under there database,
Will they classify it as a 240sx?

And what are some of you guys paying for insurance.
thanks
UnDarkened =D

Is this a year round car? If yes, can you afford winter tires? You will get stuck in this city if run a rwd without them.

ShermanEF9
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
180sx is a terrible idea for a first car, ESPECIALLY one who is still in school. not only are they probably too much car for someone just starting to drive, its also a ton of maintenence.

treg50
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
UnDarkened, in case you don't know you can call ANY insurance yourself and and they will tell you how much they'll charge you for insurance. Usually you don't have to give your name or address (maybe city/town). If they ask say you'd rather not at this time, if they insist say no thanks. Do it it's free and informative. Write down a list of 2 or 3 cars, and call and ask about them they'll each cost different amounts to insure.

Also, be realistic most kids your age don't have lots of cash (maybe you do, I don't know). So they wind up having a high deductible just to keep the premiums lower. You may be thinking I can't wait to have my first car, it's my machine, I'll be careful I'll be good, I'll be cool. I'll tell you right now, the 16 year odl who wants his own fast and furious Silvia/Fairlady/Trueno and winds up wrecking is such cheesey stereotype because it happens all the time --- don't be a cheesey stereotype, don't get that car.

RWD in winter with your experience level = unhappy times. You should start with FWD or AWD for you first/only (year-round) car.

TorqueDog
11-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If yes, can you afford winter tires? You will get stuck in this city if run a rwd without them. That's a load of bollocks. Learn how to drive properly.

RWD in the winter is a great way to learn throttle control. Respect the power.

willa_ph
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone know of any cheap car insurance places?

DomesticBoy
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
16 years old
RHD turbo car as a first car spells trouble
if you dont got much experience driving a lhd car, rhd is going to be more difficult and dangerous, im not saying that rhd is hard to drive but getting a car like that spells trouble on a count of at your age, hell even my age, its impossible not to give that car hell
Therefore bumping up your insurance rates after every stupid thing you do.

Be smart, get a nice civic to start off, after your done with your gdl class 5 lisence and go for your advance test get something like that, but something like a civic will cost you way less on insurance.

thats my $0.02 on this situation:dunno:

GQBalla
11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by willa_ph
Anyone know of any cheap car insurance places?

call around.

Nordic insurance was the cheapest for my bike.

Ask Masked Bandit his on here.

Xtrema
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
That's a load of bollocks. Learn how to drive properly.

RWD in the winter is a great way to learn throttle control. Respect the power.

Next time we have fresh snow/ice on the ground, please show me how your M5 go up a hill with all seasons.

GQBalla
11-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Next time we have fresh snow/ice on the ground, please show me how your M5 go up a hill with all seasons.

sometimes even FWD cars have issues going up a hill on all seasons.

ahhaha i remember going up my GF's st. one time after a huge snowfall and i had to go up zig zag ahah

Grogador
11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
stick to the sidewalk, usually plowed and/or sanded enough to get some grip ;)

willa_ph
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
hmmm...this is my first year living in calgary..should i buy winter tires then?

TorqueDog
11-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Next time we have fresh snow/ice on the ground, please show me how your M5 go up a hill with all seasons. With pleasure. You can watch from the outside, or you can ride shotgun to put more weight on the front tires for a bit of a challenge.

I used to live in Winnipeg, dude. Shit-ass winter driving conditions are nothing new to me. Hell, I drove my Camaro a few times in the winter with the 315/35/17 rears on it... certainly wasn't the easiest task in the world, but hell, you learn pretty quick how to control your right foot.

pf0sh0
11-12-2008, 01:14 AM
My first car when I was 16 was a skyline. Never had too much troubles, it was AWD so I didn't worry about a winter car jsut tires. It does subject to you to race cars in calgary trying to race you:thumbsdow

Also, be sure you really want a 180sx don't be naive and dive into it, put some thought into it, checkout some civics, they are pretty dope .

As per insurance I went under my dad's insurance to help with the insurance premium, I don' tthink it was too much, probably around 200$?

willa_ph
11-12-2008, 01:15 AM
haha..i just moved from winnipeg too.. Im not worried about the winters, just maybe worried about sliding downhill into a car or a ditch. Or trying to go uphill on an icy bridge or wahtever